Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Stop the madness, play from the right tee!

Rusty1885

Played today with single, and a twosome. The twosome are long mid/high handicap hitter, and the single, clearly a high handicap, whom I shared the cart. Three of them were hitting from the blue tee, I'm hitting from the white.

The two guys at least crushed it out there, but the kid(mid 20's) with waist high backswing duck hook or top all but one tee shots losing a ball on every hole To the thick tall rough around the tee box. I asked him after a few holes if he'd like to join me on the white tee, he said no he needs to play from the blue with the guys.

Clearly, it's not just a typical I need to see everything playing from the tip, it's peer pressure mix with mild ego. I wouldn't care that much normally but he tried to find every lost balls and not pick up when he's approach double digit on a hole. It was affecting my game. He probably shot about 130 give and take a few.

I don't get it, he'd rather be embarrassed about topping the ball 50 feet than playing from closer tee. I can tolerate many types of characters on the course but this came close to blowing my lid. It's patently stupid.

Sorry for the rant.

Rant away. I always look at the par 3's on any course I play to determine what tee's I'll play. If any par 3 is over 200, I'm playing the next ones down.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

While I agree with you 100% that he should have been playing up. However,f he still would have been topping balls off the white and probably shot a similar score.

I say this as yesterday I played my first round ever from our gold (senior) tees which played 5700 as opposed to the whites (6100) that I normally play.

However, I caught a case of the Sha!$ on the first hole that never left and as a result shot 107 (9 lost balls) my highest score of the year.  So shorter doesn't always lead to better scores.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I agree. I personally like to play from the blues because it gives me a chance to hit a few more drivers (my favorite club in the bag to hit), but when I'm playing with someone that doesn't have a lot of length, they never want to play a different tee than me, so I end saying, "let's just play from the whites and make it easy." Then I end up hitting mostly 3 woods and hybrids all day but it's better than watching the other guy have 200 yards approach shots the entire day.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

My home course there are only 4 holes where playing from the "tips" is more than a 5 yard difference. Same goes from the gold to white, they are almost always right next to each other, and half of the time they don't even use the gold markers.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

While I agree with you 100% that he should have been playing up. Howrcrf he still would have been topping balls off the white and probably shot a similar score.

I say this as yesterday I played my first round ever from our gold (senior) tees which played 5700 as opposed to the whites (6100) that I normally play.

Hoervef I caught a case of the Sha!$ on the first hole that never left and as a result shot 107 (9 lost balls) my highest score of the year.

So shorter doesn't

always lead to better scores.

You brought out a very good point! I rarely ever shoot better scores from our senior tees at my home course. Reason being it puts you very close to many of the par 4 holes which is not always a good thing. Just saying if your wedge game is not strong, I could see how those tweener shots could cause a case of the "Adams ". I actually prefer to have a full wedge or even 9 iron over those half shots

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

CG2, congrats on moving up to the Senior Tees......and yes it is somewhat more difficult because you are not used to hitting shorter approach shots. Hang in there, it does take awhile to adapt your game. But it will make you a better short game.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

CG2, congrats on moving up to the Senior Tees......and yes it is somewhat more difficult because you are not used to hitting shorter approach shots. Hang in there, it does take awhile to adapt your game. But it will make you a better short game.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Foz, that's the hell of it.  My short game is my strength, it's had to be as I have trouble reaching some of the par 4's on the whites, due to my rapidly disappearing driver length :)   So as a result, i've worked a lot of 20 to 60 yard wedge shots and putting.   Wedge game has been on point this year until yesterday.   But I couldn't get rid of the dreaded "alans"  sorry buddy, no offense :)

But I'll play with them again in a couple weeks.  it was fun to be able to be in potion to hit some short irons in an even reach one par 5 with a really good drive.     Tonight is our regular men's league white tees from about 3100 yards.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

That's the issue the mid teens handicap that thinks their a 5. Or the guy just getting back to the game that wants to see it all. Play the whites, be honest with yourself.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I'm have an avg low handicap distance 250 drive, 155 7i. I can comfortably play blue on any course I play whatever I feel like on at my club, but choose to play white on public course because it seems like no one is playing whites anymore. Evidence lies on the par 3s broken tees litter the blue tee, but almost none on the white.

As for the fact that he'd have topped his drive on forward tees, sure at least he'd have shown that he's playing from the more forgiving tees. Blue/back tees are not always about the distance but the angle hence some blue tees are placed more laterally than straight back.

If the hazard of 125-150 yards in front of the tee you are playing makes you nervous, you are playing from the wrong tee. Many time white tees offer more challenge than blues because as it get closer to the hole fairway gets narrower even with my avg distance, more challenging for longer hitters for sure. Often time I'd be playing from the same approach distance on my home course whether it's white or blue.

One observation I think is interesting at my clubs I rarely see members play from the wrong tee, young or old. More players plays from forward than back tee. I guess when no one is judging they are more honest about their game.

Unfortunately, over the years, tees have been given labels or certain perceptions (what ever the correct word may be).   They tend to be seen as:  the tips or championship tees, the regular men's, the senior men's and the ladies.   It is these labels and not ability that determines tee use for many.   Young buck's do not want to be seen on the senior tees and no man wants to be seen on the ladies tees.  Unless one is a scratch golfer or a low single digit capper, I have no idea why anyone would want to play the tips.  The USGA "play it forward" initiative may be an effort to rid these labels, but I don't see it changing for some time.  

I have seen at many courses, the scorecard shows what could be called a hybrid course, typically a mixture of holes from the perceived regular and senior tees.   Personally, I like them and think it is a great idea.

Yeah the course I play has 5 tees black (tournament)-7042

gold (championship) 6576

blue (regular) 6105

white (senior) 5613

and red (women's). 4836

The scorecard also has a hybrid gold/blue that I usually play at 6344.

I'm fairly long of the tee, I drive the ball a good distance pretty regularly (260-290) so I don't like playing from the blues much because all of the par 4s basically just drive pitch putt, I rarely need to break out a 3,4,5, or 6. The longer tees require me to use the whole bag. I could probably shoot 3-4 strokes lower at the other tees but maybe I enjoy the punishment and challenge.

Sent from my LG-H810 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Mizuno MP59 - KBS Tour -standard length and Lie (flex, length/lie)

Nike Vapor Fly - 8.5* Stiff

Right Handed

Buffalo Grove

15 HCP

Unfortunately, over the years, tees have been given labels or certain perceptions (what ever the correct word may be). They tend to be seen as: the tips or championship tees, the regular men's, the senior men's and the ladies. It is these labels and not ability that determines tee use for many. Young buck's do not want to be seen on the senior tees and no man wants to be seen on the ladies tees. Unless one is a scratch golfer or a low single digit capper, I have no idea why anyone would want to play the tips. The USGA "play it forward" initiative may be an effort to rid these labels, but I don't see it changing for some time.

I have seen at many courses, the scorecard shows what could be called a hybrid course, typically a mixture of holes from the perceived regular and senior tees. Personally, I like them and think it is a great idea.

Played today with single, and a twosome. The twosome are long mid/high handicap hitter, and the single, clearly a high handicap, whom I shared the cart. Three of them were hitting from the blue tee, I'm hitting from the white.

The two guys at least crushed it out there, but the kid(mid 20's) with waist high backswing duck hook or top all but one tee shots losing a ball on every hole To the thick tall rough around the tee box. I asked him after a few holes if he'd like to join me on the white tee, he said no he needs to play from the blue with the guys.

Clearly, it's not just a typical I need to see everything playing from the tip, it's peer pressure mix with mild ego. I wouldn't care that much normally but he tried to find every lost balls and not pick up when he's approach double digit on a hole. It was affecting my game. He probably shot about 130 give and take a few.

I don't get it, he'd rather be embarrassed about topping the ball 50 feet than playing from closer tee. I can tolerate many types of characters on the course but this came close to blowing my lid. It's patently stupid.

Sorry for the rant.

I agree. Playing from the right tee would significantly help pace of play! I'm not breaking par at an executive course, so no need to play anything but the white tees for me.

Its has to do with age and ego.. When your young regardless of how well you play crushing a 300 yd drive is cool, ok it's cool no matter how old you are.. but my point is nobody wants to admit they aren't as good as someone else. once you figure out golf is hard and you aren't really as good as you think you are then you play appropriately.. until you get to an age where you don't want to admit your not as good as you once were.. because once in a while you connect you hear that little "tick" we all know as a flush shot the ball fly beyond normal and you think you can still hit that all the time.. 

We all have been one or the other at some point in our lives.. and will be the later much sooner then we all want.. 

Is it right NO, does it annoy us yes.. Do we use it as an excuse Damn right.. but it's all part of growing up and older in my opinion.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

RANT AWAY.. we all want to.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I'm a big advocate of playing the correct tees. I'm a guy that played for too long from the incorrect (back) tee. It was only a few years ago I made a full time change to the next tee at my home course. The white tee in this case. I'm 62 now and quite frankly should have moved to the white tee when I was about 55. It's a distance thing. But I hung in there like a man. LOL

Interestingly I'm getting more buddies moving up to the white with me now days. It's taking a few of them some time but they're getting it. Play the tee that fits your distances. Regardless of what tee it is. You'll have more fun and score like you should.

As for the guy in the original post.... I think he probably could use some lessons more than anything.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Its has to do with age and ego.. When your young regardless of how well you play crushing a 300 yd drive is cool, ok it's cool no matter how old you are.. but my point is nobody wants to admit they aren't as good as someone else. once you figure out golf is hard and you aren't really as good as you think you are then you play appropriately.. until you get to an age where you don't want to admit your not as good as you once were.. because once in a while you connect you hear that little "tick" we all know as a flush shot the ball fly beyond normal and you think you can still hit that all the time.. 

We all have been one or the other at some point in our lives.. and will be the later much sooner then we all want.. 

Is it right NO, does it annoy us yes.. Do we use it as an excuse Damn right.. but it's all part of growing up and older in my opinion..

Yep, I just posted similar thing on another thread.

Let's face it a good high percentage par round of golf usually bland-ish. Drive the ball on the fairway, hit approach on the green then hopefully one but no more than 2 putts. In case of miss, take the medicine and punch out of trouble. Around the green choose the lowest route to get the ball rolling on the green. Even a stiff like me carry a 64* wedge for the silly Mickelson shots around the green for some comedic relief every now and then.

Luckily I'm done with the pursuit of the low bending shot around the tree the checks as soon as it hits the green, or shots thru the trees because "golf is 90% air". I've come to appreciate the approach shot that drop-skip-and stop than hoping for one that spin back 10'.

I'm cool with growing pain and dues paying in golf, seriously, everyone learn it the hard way why should you have it easier:) but sometimes it's just too much. It takes discipline to pitch/punch out and not go-for-it. Thinking is hard work, that's why few does it on the course.

IMO..handicap has nothing to do tees....... I hear you y'all grumbling, let me explain myself.

Example late teens to 30s high handicappers can smack a ball along ways. But can lack short game & accuracy. Moving up doesn't help if they can't hit short irons or chip & putt.

So to me its an ego thing. If you can't leave yourself 6~7 iron on most average par 4s or 4 hybrid or so on long par 4s then you need to move up.

This is my gage for tees not par 3s.

(disclaimer, this is a stereotyping /generalization)

I worked in the industry and for years that was the complaint from many members, certain players were on tee boxes that didn't allow them to fully enjoy the game. I know this may not be the case for some, but when I first got a coach when I was 16 he made me play off of the forward tees until I could break par. He did that for every tee box, until I got to the tips. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I agree bulldog, it's the distance off the tee, heck I don't even care if your drive is 150-175 as long as you can get it out there pass the hazards in a consistent matter and not holding up anyone. I actually enjoy playing with long hitter high handicappers it's an extra validation for my hard work.

As for the short game, sure they can also be bad, I'm quite ok with that. I didn't get my ah-ha wedge work moment til recent years, I think everyone has the right to suffer with their unreliable short game like the rest as long as they keep it reasonable and moving.

For some reason people think you'll be offended or they feel embarrassed if they play from different tees. Never understood this it's such a pain.

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

This is probably my biggest frustration with golf. I have been stuck behind foursomes playing one in from the tips who are clearly better suited to one in from the front. Plus taking both an unnecessary amount of practice swings and time reading greens drives me nuts. I have even seen foursomes playing from the tips where they were pulling driver on par 3's.

I would love to know if any marshals ever step in to stop this insanity at other courses?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

This is probably my biggest frustration with golf. I have been stuck behind foursomes playing one in from the tips who are clearly better suited to one in from the front. Plus taking both an unnecessary amount of practice swings and time reading greens drives me nuts. I have even seen foursomes playing from the tips where they were pulling driver on par 3's.

I would love to know if any marshals ever step in to stop this insanity at other courses?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

You've never want to be playing behind junior or high school players, it's not pretty. They walk 360* around every 6' putt and address the putt with the marker down then pick up the marker then putt and these are not a good players. Some of the good ones take even longer just like the pros on the tour.

Usually twice a week I play by myself at my home course and one at public course so as long as I'm playing with someone I don't usually get bothered.

Usually when I get paired with others I'll ask where they're playing from, and play from there, especially if they're forward tees. Last weekend played from the red tees, group i played with was a blast.

I like jays idea, I think next time I head out, I'm going to play from the most forward tees and see if I can break par

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I'll play any tee that my group is on. It doesn't really matter depending on the course. I'll play about the same from any box lol.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I'll play any tee that my group is on. It doesn't really matter depending on the course. I'll play about the same from any box lol.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

I find this to be true. We're all have the comfort scoring zone. Red, white or blue we'd end up shooting our score on avg.

That said, I'm looking forward to tomorrow's game with my buddy, we're playing 2 balls-worse ball for $2 a hole. I've never mastered this game mentally never break 90 yet, and worse, I $uck at playing match play for money. For obvious reason I couldn't control my nerve. Any other format I'm fine.:)

Yeah the course I play has 5 tees black (tournament)-7042

gold (championship) 6576

blue (regular) 6105

white (senior) 5613

and red (women's). 4836

The scorecard also has a hybrid gold/blue that I usually play at 6344.

I'm fairly long of the tee, I drive the ball a good distance pretty regularly (260-290) so I don't like playing from the blues much because all of the par 4s basically just drive pitch putt, I rarely need to break out a 3,4,5, or 6. The longer tees require me to use the whole bag. I could probably shoot 3-4 strokes lower at the other tees but maybe I enjoy the punishment and challenge.

Sent from my LG-H810 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Your course is set up similar to mine except we don't have that 7000y tee box.  Most courses around here have the White tees around 6100y, but our 6100y set of tees are Blue which is where I play.

However, we can't call the White tees senior or the Red tees women's, because many women play from the White tees and some of the older seniors play from the Red tees.  

Most member tournaments for men are played from the Blue tees, but men are also allowed to play from the White tees if their age + course HCP is 90 or above.  I played with a guy today that can kick my ass playing from the White tees at 84 years old, and I can outdrive him on many holes (which isn't saying much)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

While I agree with you 100% that he should have been playing up. However,f he still would have been topping balls off the white and probably shot a similar score.

However, I caught a case of the Sha!$ on the first hole that never left and as a result shot 107 (9 lost balls) my highest score of the year.  So shorter doesn't always lead to better scores.

Uh oh!  I thought we would have fun playing together.  I CAN NOT see that shot or I will do the same thing.   :(

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived