TESTERS WANTED! ×

How Long Did It Take You To Break 100, 90, 80, etc?

TSauer

I started playing golf seriously in 1992, shooting in the 100's.  I played at a local muni with a bunch of old guys that were pretty good and played every day.  I think I broke 100 later that year.  It took me another year to break 90.

Odd story for me was that I broke 70 and 80 on the same day.  In 2003 I shot 69 at the Wildfire GC Palmer course in Phoenix.  However, it would be a couple more years before I would break 80 again, and I still haven't broken 70 again, 14 years later!!  Last year was my best year ever shooting a 73, but I feel that time has run out and it will have to be something special for me to do it again.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've still yet to break 100 my best is a 109 and that is on a course I'm fairly familiar with. Been playing for 2 seasons now and I can say I'm improving and noticing the change. It's still my short game that ruins me. I will work and work on my chipping and putting and hopefully break 100 this year.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

never shot in 100s / 90s broke quick / 80s regular/ 70's I would say my 3rd yr playing / but self taught ghin 6.2 at onetime now 10.5 6'5 215 athletic as hell I hit the ball no where with driver like 230 and my swing speed is 99-104 who the f knows frustrating- I can chip and putt last week 82 better but lack of distance buts me at disadvantage hopefully figure it out

That's actually not a bad thing to do. Yes, score is nice to know but it can affect your game sometimes if that's the only thing you're focusing on. What are you shooting now?

Breaking 100 came fairly quick for me, not sure how long, but I also play very often. I would say 90s took around 8 months to a year. Right now I'm on the verge of being able to break 80, hopefully by the end of the year it will happen. Some days I'll shoot mid-high 80s, others I'll be back up to high 90s.. It can be vicious.

That's the game of golf.. vicious at times, exhilarating at other times. Lately for me it's been a roller-coaster of emotions. Yesterday, I seriously wanted to break my clubs in half.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

That's the game of golf.. vicious at times, exhilarating at other times. Lately for me it's been a roller-coaster of emotions. Yesterday, I seriously wanted to break my clubs in half.

MDGolfHacker

Haha been there. I remember earlier this year I had an awful round, felt like I have never played golf before. Came home and told the gf to put the clubs on eBay, I was done.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I really don't recall my exact progression of lowering my scores but I'm quite sure it's typical of most everyone else. I've been playing golf since I was pretty young. Perhaps 10 I started? (62 now) I didn't really get serious until much later. Perhaps in my early thirties. But, I do recall making a fairly rapid drop from the 90's into and through the 80's. Then it started getting difficult.

I refer back to downlowkey and his post and recollection as an accurate description of progression and probably most people.

I guess something like the following...

90's into 80's fairly quickly

80's into 70's harder

Staying in the 70's much harder still

Below 70? Never made it.

Currently on my home course I've been shooting anywhere from 75-80. All depends on the day.

Funny game.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I would shoot 110-95 as a regular score, then around 4 years ago I took a few lessons where we worked on stronger grip and a 1 piece take away.  I was then beating 100 all the time and by the end of the season I broke 90 once.

The next season I broke 90 on most rounds, and worked on ball striking.

Two seasons ago I took a 5 lesson set, and went through a swing change (stop the OTT move).  I broke 80 twice that season.  Also took aimpoint for putting.

Last season I took another 5 lesson set from a different instructor.  We weakened my grip, and really worked on shots 100 yards and in.  I broke 80 alot, and shot par on my local 9 hole course twice.  Also won my flight in a match play tournament (first real golf tournament I ever entered).

Then bought a skytrak over the winter and practiced with purpose when I could (had a groin injury from hockey).  My goal this season is to use my long game effectively as I believe I can go for more long shots than ever before as my long irons are actually straightening out.  Hopefully that creates more birdies, as I always seemed satisfied with pars in the past.  Actually have confidence in my 3 and 4 irons where in the past I had zero confidence in those clubs.

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

I've only broken 80 three times - all prior to marriage and fatherhood.

I usually shoot between 85-95 these days, but expect to go lower once I get my son into golf. Full shots are serviceable, but I need to tighten up my short game. I throw away a lot of shots

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Nice thread, great stories!

I started playing golf when I was young but baseball was always my first love and we played sports in their seasons when I grew up. So hockey disappeared in favor of basketball that was safer and cheaper and golf was confined to a cheap starter set and caddy days at the club that I worked at. I recall breaking 50 for the first time in Spain. I was 13. I know that I was a junior in High School the first time that I broke 100. But I actually broke 90 as well. I shot a 90.

I don't know that I played a round of golf more than once or twice a year after that (we were always told that golf and baseball didn't mix). I certainly went to the range and hit lots of shots in the back yard.

I started to play golf seriously after my junior year of college. Mono had cost me the fall season and it was clear that I was not going to play much baseball after that. So I stayed in Ithaca, got a summer job and shelled out 75 for a junior membership at the local 9 hole muni. It took about two weeks but I broke 80 for the first time with that stupid starter set. By summers end I had a suitable set and was good enough to play matches for our golf club senior year and to make it to the match play part of the championship flight of the Ithaca City tournament. I beat my baseball coach who said, "You're a way better golfer than you are a baseball player."

I also broke par and 70 for the first time that summer.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I started golfing when I was younger with my dad, although we kept score I couldn't tell you how well we actually did. We were definitely playing more for the fun of the game then being competitive.

It wasn't until about 5 years ago that I took it back up and started playing more frequently. Since then I broke 100 pretty quick, probably 5 or so rounds. Breaking 90 was later on in my first season back and breaking 80 didn't happen until two days ago! Had a lot of close rounds up to that point, but always ended up in the 81-85 range. Next up is 70, which I have a feeling will take a long time! But here's to trying!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I started breaking 100 once I got a decent set of clubs and making an effort to practice just a little bit. Now it's not uncommon for me to break 90 though I'm typically low to mid 90s. Hoping to be high 80s by the end of the season and next year work on breaking 80!

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Golfed one summer every day and went through 100 to 90's to 80's then a hiatus for many years except for an occaisional round now after 4 years of semi-regular play within a 6 month season have worked it down to a 12 hdcp..hoping to get to 9-10 hdcp this year.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

For those who wants to breakthrough to the next level, I have one trick that really worked for me. It works well if you belong to a club but if you can find the right course during the slowest time it would work.

Play 2 ball-best ball, basically you are playing every shot twice and pick the best ball out of the 2 and repeat till hole out. You should improve 5-10 shots depending on your handicap. This would expose your mentality to shooting lower score and break you out of your comfort zone of shooting your current handicap.

The drive to shoot low score alone is not going to make it easier to consistently achieve it. The more often you shoot lower score you'll start shooting low score. If you get a chance try it you'll be surprised how well you can score.

For those who wants to breakthrough to the next level, I have one trick that really worked for me. It works well if you belong to a club but if you can find the right course during the slowest time it would work.

Play 2 ball-best ball, basically you are playing every shot twice and pick the best ball out of the 2 and repeat till hole out. You should improve 5-10 shots depending on your handicap. This would expose your mentality to shooting lower score and break you out of your comfort zone of shooting your current handicap.

The drive to shoot low score alone is not going to make it easier to consistently achieve it. The more often you shoot lower score you'll start shooting low score. If you get a chance try it you'll be surprised how well you can score.

I do this a lot at my home course, since it's a small town. I'll switch it up between playing best ball and worst ball. That way you can practice your misses too.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

MDGolfHacker

I hear ya. First round of the year was Wednesday. Shot 92, about what I normally shoot. Went out Friday and shot 103. Only thing that saved me from blowing a gasket was my scrambling. Pretty much put them all at a kick in distance

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I broke 100 my first year playing. It was another year before I broke 90. I was into the 80's for probably 10 years before I finally broke 80. I still shoot in the mid/low 80's most of the time, but I card a few high 70's during a season. I wish high 70's was my normal score, but I suppose I'm a good bit better than the average player out there........... except for recently. :unsure:

Shooting better involves lots of time invested. So it's not years it's more hours of playing and practice. The best bang for your buck is to get an optishot especially if you have limited time. It takes 45min to play a round. Or just go on the range and do drills to hone your swing. Then go to a local course chip putt and hit sand shots. Watch lots of videos. To shoot 90's you'll need 5-10 hours a week. To shoot 80's you'll need 15-20 hours a week to shoot 70's you'll need 25+ hours a week. Good luck. And yes the addiction gets worse the lower you shoot

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Let's see, broke 100 in the first year. 90 after 2 years and 80 that same year but it isn't consistent. Only shot two scores in the 70s.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

100 was a few months, 90 about a month after that with a 87, 80 took 4 years still remember the 3 foot put to do it. Number of low 70's twice putts for 69 first time 3 putt from about 18 feet for 70 choked next chance putt for eagle 2 putt 70. Best tournament round 71 in the State Publinx tournament. 1985 state lefty runner up. Competition helps a lot but my mind would never let me get to the next level out of my comfort zone so to speak.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I think it took me a good year to break 100, and then probably another 6 months give or take to break 90. I was stuck there for a while though and didn't break 80 consistently for another 2 years but once I did my game really came together. I can still post some bad numbers obviously but for the most part I've been pretty pleased with my game and I've even gone under par a few times with my low being 66 but I'll typically post a high 70s or an 80 to even it out but that's golf for ya.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• 5 years later...

Another good throwback thread! 

Lots of new members here and would love to hear the stories and when you were able to break these milestones! Or even better when do you hope to break some which you haven't yet? 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

I started in the game as an eight year old carrying my Dad’s clubs and watching his group play. He was an athletic single digit player. I evolved to be a full time caddie at the local country club. I started actually playing at 12. I broke 100 the first year. I then broke 90 and 80 at 13. I played as the number two man on my high school team and broke 70. I played military golf and several competitive amateur events. However, during the later part of my military career I was very busy deploying and was not playing at all. I had about a ten year period of no golf. Now that I am retired and playing again things are coming back together. I am currently a five handicap and getting better. I hope to be a plus one by the end of the year!

Edited by Javs

Play like a champion today!

Started playing the summer before freshman year of high school as in Texas they didn’t have a school hockey team and had gone to the range a few times with my dad and enjoyed it so figured I would give that try and my school sport. Was breaking 100 before school started and consistently shooting in the 80s by end of freshman year. Broke 80 for the first time before junior year. And broke 70 for the first time somewhere around the end of junior year or beginning of senior year. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: wilt Graphite Design Tour AD TP 

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG:

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

I started playing the spring that I no longer was playing college baseball. Had to give that up due to a nagging injury and needed something to do in the spring. My major required me to take some 1 credit elective classes that were glorified gym classes and golf was an option so I went for it and have been hooked ever since. That was back in 2011 and I never have really played consistently but have loved the game. I truly don’t know if I’ve ever broken 100, maybe a couple times at best, but again it’s never something I’ve dedicated enough time to work on to get better. My hope is to record breaking 100 and 90 this year as it’s the first I’ll have a full membership to a club and will be able to practice and play multiple times a week instead of trying to “practice” on the range before I play a round. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

I didn’t start playing golf until I was 30.

Breaking 100 didn’t take long. Probably less than a year. 
Breaking 90 was probably the next season.

Breaking 80 I remember that very well. Buddies trip to Myrtle Beach on the Wizard course with a 79 in 2000. It took 12 years. But I will also say I only started taking golf seriously in 1997 when I joined a company golf league.

Breaking 70 was in 2020 with a pair of 69’s at my home course. Then in 2021, I peaked with 12 rounds in the 60’s with all being either a 68 or 69. All but one were at my home course. In 2022 I had a few in the 60’s but I decided at the beginning of the season that I was going to have fun and not take it to seriously. I got consumed chasing scratch and lost some of the fun.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing golf since I was 5-6. I remember my dad cut down some old blades and a couple wood 3 and 5 wood's to use. Once I was 13-14 I started to break into the 90's and then by freshman/sophomore year I was shooting in the 80's. I think I broke 80 a couple times during that time but I played Hockey and that most if not all my time as I was doing summer camps and spring training. Once I got to college (2013-2016) I was able to play a little more golf and broke into the 70's consistently.

Last year was my best year for golf firing a career low 71 and dipping down to a 4 handicap at one point in the season. I really want to go after breaking 70 this year. This will likely not happen as I had my first child in January and that will be taking up most of my time (which I'm totally okay and excited about). But I think being able to get a plastic club in my daughters hands will make up for my lack of time at the course.

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

• 11 months later...

Haven't broken 70 yet and even last year it took me several months to break 80 again. Golf is hard! When did all of you hit these milestones?

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW