Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

You're not Special?

News flash for Millennials, Gen Xers, Baby Boomers, The Silent Generation and anyone else on MGS worried about the game of golf....it was here before you were born and it will be here after you're gone. There is nothing to worry about. There is a lot of hand-wringing "oh how is the game going to survive" talk, but don't worry, it's gonna be alright.

Exactly. This just shows here, like every where else, that what has worked just fine has to be redone for some new group, class, or social bs constuck. Boo Hoo media will NEVER point out that every Real Estate group chasing bigger dollars got into the golf course game in the Tiger era. Every wanna be 'investor" smelled the money and the saw the generational and racial implications, and, again, smelled the money to be made. Could it be that there might just be to many golf courses out there? Could it be that there might just be to many vendors selling golf gear of every kind out there? Could it be that "golf" was put on the same growth charts and pie charts and and every other board room chart to show why we need to grow grow grow? And when it is not 'performing' as expected the sky is fallig too? Kids play football and the rest because its easy. Golf isnt, never was. For every Pro out there there is another that is all over the "youth' or the "juniors'. And sure as shanking selling them clubs, balls, shoes and the rest. Giving them lessons and having mom come down to the shop and "see" what johnny needs. Because as is also baked in the cake johnny cant be left to feel 'with-out' or not part of per his latest whim or endeavor. Golf has gone money first, and fools second. And if it is dying or whatever it has no one but itself to blame. Kids that love it and the personal challenge that it provides will find a way to play and continue to play.

Leave golf alone or turn it into a sideshow like the rest of corporate sports, and those that want to play and get better will. When the 120 a round corporate tracks have to put you on for half that, then you know golf is in trouble. The rest is just whining about a corporate demographic that isnt forking over their money, I mean time, as planned.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played a round barefoot once, it was fantastic!

I used to play barefooted all the time when I was a kid at the old man's course. BTW he could not stand it

Now today I would have second thoughts about it. A guy I knew in Charlotte lived on a course and used to walk a few holes barefooted in the evenings. He ended up getting sick. After numerous tests they discovered he got some kind of parasite from walking barefoot and possibably stepping in goose poop. Back in my youth Canadian Geese were non existant in my area. Things have changed. They are all over the place even here now. In fact they breed and hatch here

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Accommodating generational consumer habits is and always has been what keeps industries viable.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Fair enough. But accommodations need to be data driven lest an industry alienate their existing clientele.

Or, as others have indicated, be less mass market and become aspirational in nature.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

Accommodating generational consumer habits is and always has been what keeps industries viable.

Fair enough. But accommodations need to be data driven lest an industry alienate their existing clientele.

Or, as others have indicated, be less mass market and become aspirational in nature.

I've kept up with this thread, and I'm starting to wonder just what changes people think are needed to attract millennials, or any other group.  I'll list a few that have come up:

Less time,

Less money

Less "snobbery"

Easier 

I believe there are already options that address each of these, at least for beginners.  There are short courses and 9 hole units to take less time. There are lower-priced courses, and courses that market to every "class" of individual.  There are shorter courses and shorter tees to make things easier.  And if the current rules make it tough, ignore them while you're learning the game.  

But as with any recreational activity, as a person becomes more interested, and more skilled, there is a need to spend more money, and time.  Golf isn't easy, and its definitely not easy to change and improve in golf.  I see that as the biggest problem, its nearly impossible to really "succeed" at golf as a newcomer, it takes time and effort.  And the one generalization I'll make, as an old curmudgeon, is that younger generations seem to have less patience, are more interested in immediate gratification, than I think us oldsters were.  Of course there are exceptions, we have a fair number of young golfers at our club who are interested in working to become better, but its not for everyone.  Of course, its wasn't for everyone when I started, lots of my friends tried it and just didn't enjoy it.  

I think many discussions of this type are like discussions about the rules.  Its one thing to dislike a certain rule.  Its quite another to come up with a replacement that's both effective, and holds true to the general principles of golf.  My question, to those who believe change is necessary, what specifically do you think needs to be changed?  And exactly how would you propose to change it?

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I've kept up with this thread, and I'm starting to wonder just what changes people think are needed to attract millennials, or any other group.  I'll list a few that have come up:

Less time,

Less money

Less "snobbery"

Easier 

I believe there are already options that address each of these, at least for beginners.  There are short courses and 9 hole units to take less time. There are lower-priced courses, and courses that market to every "class" of individual.  There are shorter courses and shorter tees to make things easier.  And if the current rules make it tough, ignore them while you're learning the game.  

But as with any recreational activity, as a person becomes more interested, and more skilled, there is a need to spend more money, and time.  Golf isn't easy, and its definitely not easy to change and improve in golf.  I see that as the biggest problem, its nearly impossible to really "succeed" at golf as a newcomer, it takes time and effort.  And the one generalization I'll make, as an old curmudgeon, is that younger generations seem to have less patience, are more interested in immediate gratification, than I think us oldsters were.  Of course there are exceptions, we have a fair number of young golfers at our club who are interested in working to become better, but its not for everyone.  Of course, its wasn't for everyone when I started, lots of my friends tried it and just didn't enjoy it.  

I think many discussions of this type are like discussions about the rules.  Its one thing to dislike a certain rule.  Its quite another to come up with a replacement that's both effective, and holds true to the general principles of golf.  My question, to those who believe change is necessary, what specifically do you think needs to be changed?  And exactly how would you propose to change it?

Very good Dave. I was just thinking about some of your ideas/suggestions before I read your post. A day or so ago some members thought this post/topic/discussion was veering off the prescribed path for MGS by not being all rainbows and unicorns. There's no need to shut down discussion or close our eyes. This all seems pretty healthy to me. I'd like to see those that have chosen to ignore this discussion and called for others do the same to jump back in with their suggestions for golf. Like you Dave and others have.

Just the other day I was out practicing at the club and there was a young man (the only) who looked to be perhaps 12-13. He was on his own as far as I could tell and he was going through a nice practice session. On my way out as walked past him I said nice swing and kept walking. He turned and said... thanks. There were also a mom, dad, and daughter warming up prior to what I assume was going to be a 9-hole round. The daughter looked to be about 8-10. I really enjoy seeing this kind of stuff. Again, golf isn't for everyone. Some days it's not for me either! LOL

What generational group do those two kids fit into? X? Y? Z?? You got me. At this point in their young lives they're probably not even interested in such identifications. And who knows, they might become the group that laughs at the geezers like me (probably already do) and scoffs at the Gen X'ers and beard wearing tattoo'd Millennials. When I was young and smarter than everyone else that's what I did. Then something changed.

Have a great day all you old guys and hackers. And all you other X'ers and Millennials too.

Hope to see y'all at the course. That's where I'll be.

:)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

This is an interesting .. yes, sometimes "spirited" .. discussion. There are clearly some strong opinions. But that's just it: it's your opinion, you're allowed to have it, you're free to express it. It cannot be "wrong" as it's an opinion, but it cannot be "right" either. No one "owns" right. I don't have to agree with your​ opinion but I respect and defend your right to have, and to voice, your opinion.

OK, that said.. my opinion is I agree with @deejaid who said the game of golf was around a few hundred years before any of us .. of any age, any generation, any ((whatever label or characteristic we are given or give to ourselves)) .. any of us who are reading or posting in this thread .. .. and hopefully the game will continue on many hundreds of years hence....

I'm pretty sure the game as we play it today looks somewhat different than the way it was played two or three hundred years ago. I'm also pretty sure that some of those way-back-when guys in their heavy wool suits and ties would be amazed to see how the game is played today! They'd instantly recognize it as golf, of course, but marvel at someone like a Jason Day (heck they probably never even heard of Australia) taking an iron and hitting a ball 100+ feet high and 200+ yards far. They'd look in awe at the slick greens and manicured fairways.

Would they approve? Would they agree golf has changed for the better??

Who knows?

But my thinking here is that over time .. golf _has_ changed. It has changed over many past generations. And so it seems inevitable that golf will change (in ways we cannot currently predict) over many future generations.....

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

So... Personally, I enjoy the challenge of golf and try to make improvement in some aspect of this multi-faceted game each time I get a chance to get out. I enjoy outdoor activities. I enjoy going out with my wife when we can, or taking a trip together and trying new courses. I enjoy going out solo, and i also enjoy the company of *friendly* players.

I haven't been playing long but I respect the traditions of the game itself. I've made an attempt to read the rules - well, an illustrated guide to the rules! - and play within them.

But, no: golf as the way it's played today and the way the rules currently stand .. it's not for everybody. And that's fine.

IMO .. so if someone doesn't like traditional golf on an outdoor course .. .. there are already existing "golf-like" alternatives .. eg. indoor sims you can rent by the hour (and bring a cooler and lounge on a couch) seem to becoming more commonplace; or Top Golf seems to be (popular, and) expanding their presence.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Had an interesting conversation with an actual millenial yesterday - my youngest son - on this very topic. He kinda scoffed at the instant gratification thing - and as we talked it occurred to both of us that instant gratification is probably more cultural than it is generational. We have have iPhones that we just expect to work, because they were designed to work and be easy to use. We have computers that we expect to work and bring us places we never dreamed we could visit. We can look up anything within seconds instead of going to the library to look at an encyclopedia that may or may not be out of date. We have a zillion TV channels that we can flip through with a hand held device until we find something that pleases us or reinforces whatever beliefs or ideologies we have, and we don't have to watch, listen to or read anything we disagree with or challenges us. We can flip our music to shuffle mode and skip anything that doesn't please us, and hardly anyone listens to albums anymore. Anyone here over the age of 40 ever get frustrated when your internet is slow?? 

In regards to golf, he had an interesting perspective: he has little interest in watching it on TV - biggest reason is he (and according to him, his peer group and his impression of his generation) prefer watching sports with more action. He'll watch football and basketball intently - but baseball and golf, not so much.  Made me think about my own sports-watching habits.  Early rounds of tourney I'm in an out, and only the majors are appointment viewing. Didn't watch a minute of the Player's this weekend, but if it had been football season, I'd have watch the Pats and maybe one or two other games and would have done a great job of holding the couch down.

He also said he didn't see any real personalities in golf that would appeal to him - which makes me think the PGA may not be doing the best of jobs promoting their stars, and maybe there aren't that many really compelling personalities in the game anymore anyway. We talked about Jordan Spieth, but he had no idea how old Spieth was -- and besides, Spieth may very well be a 40 year man in a 24 year old body.  He knew who Rory McIlroy is, but knows nothing about him - as far as my son is concerned, the tour is a bunch of bland, white faces.

When it comes to playing - he enjoys going out a handful of times with his buddies and playing for fun - not even keeping score, just having fun with his friends. There's a 9 hole Par 3 near us that he plays, he can dress in shorts and a t-shirt and hack around and not worry that some old fart is going to scold him for not wearing proper golf attire or not respecting the games traditions.  He's smart enough to know the difference between "fun" courses and what he called serious golf courses, and he knows if he ever played one of those he'd dress and act the part, but he said that's off in the future for him. Pretty sure as he gets older he'll take up the game and play it for the rest of his life, but by then it'll be the millennials game, and however it evolves it'll have happened by then -- he figures mainstream golf will be less formal and more fun.

On a side note, my nephew runs sports marketing and services for Instagram - he says they focus their efforts on sports that have the most worldwide attention. The biggest money-makers for them: soccer, basketball and Extreme Sports - those are played, participated in and watched all over the world and are huge money-makers for them.  Golf isn't even on their radar.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Had an interesting conversation with an actual millenial yesterday - my youngest son - on this very topic. He kinda scoffed at the instant gratification thing - and as we talked it occurred to both of us that instant gratification is probably more cultural than it is generational.

.. (etc.)..

Great perspectives .. as always!! Thanks for those insights!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Honestly I like what Barbajo wrote. You have nice writing skills John. The only... and only one disagreement I have is the part where you said your son sees the tour as a bunch of bland White faces. As opposed to what? A  bunch of exciting Black faces in the NBA or NFL? I don't understand why so many people put down their own ethnic or racial identity these days. I'm proud of who I am and my ancestry. Which by the way happens to be Irish and white. And... American first.

Again... nice post John.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Honestly I like what Barbajo wrote. You have nice writing skills John. The only... and only one disagreement I have is the part where you said your son sees the tour as a bunch of bland White faces. As opposed to what? A bunch of exciting Black faces in the NBA or NFL? I don't understand why so many people put down their own ethnic or racial identity these days. I'm proud of who I am and my ancestry. Which by the way happens to be Irish and white. And... American first.

Again... nice post John.

Just stop, that is not what John meant by bland white faces.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Just stop, that is not what John meant by bland white faces.

Hi Mr_Theoo,

What do you think he meant? Personally I think phrases like that are shorthand for, most charitably, uncool or old-fashioned, and that is how I interpreted it in the context of the post - which I liked quite a bit. I do wish phrases such as that were used less or not at all, and I hope you can understand that perspective.

Best wishes.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

Hi Mr_Theoo,

What do you think he meant? Personally I think phrases like that are shorthand for, most charitably, uncool or old-fashioned, and that is how I interpreted it in the context of the post - which I liked quite a bit. I do wish phrases such as that were used less or not at all, and I hope you can understand that perspective.

Best wishes.

I believe John meant that the tour is very bland and almost cookie cutter. Everyone for the most part acts the same during a tournament. Always saying the right things when interviewed etc..

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Had an interesting conversation with an actual millenial yesterday - my youngest son - on this very topic. He kinda scoffed at the instant gratification thing - and as we talked it occurred to both of us that instant gratification is probably more cultural than it is generational. We have have iPhones that we just expect to work, because they were designed to work and be easy to use. We have computers that we expect to work and bring us places we never dreamed we could visit. We can look up anything within seconds instead of going to the library to look at an encyclopedia that may or may not be out of date. We have a zillion TV channels that we can flip through with a hand held device until we find something that pleases us or reinforces whatever beliefs or ideologies we have, and we don't have to watch, listen to or read anything we disagree with or challenges us. 

... Yup. When we were kids, we had cartoons on Saturday morning until 12 noon. That was about all the TV available to us. Now you can go to the internet and pull up any show/movie you want. No video, no DVD's or tapes and certainly no video games that are so real it seems like you are in a movie. We played sports or games of kick the can, hide and seek or a myriad of other games we came up with because that was all we had. Virtually everything is at their fingertips and they do have instant gratification. I am sure most of us remember Lay Away purchases? We put a $25 down payment on that $65 bike we wanted paying another $5 a week but it wasn't ours until we finished paying it off and finally then we could take it home. Patience was necessary. We were mostly in good shape from playing all day everyday. All of these attributes are very good for a 4.5 hour round of golf or even playing 36 in one day. 

... It is just impossible to compare that era with this one.

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I believe John meant that the tour is very bland and almost cookie cutter. Everyone for the most part acts the same during a tournament. Always saying the right things when interviewed etc..

Agreed.

I follow politics and for quite a while I was concerned about "the millennials".  Then I had an in depth (heated at times) conversation with my very conservative father.  He pointed out that every generation looked upon the previous as out of touch.  He also added that in early adulthood I wasn't nearly as conservative as I am now.  It's amazing what work, taxes, and responsibility does to one's world views.  My point is that they'll come around.  The same pertains to golf.  Remember what it was like when Jack and Arnie were done?  I do, and it was very similar to how it feels now that Tiger is well....?  I think golf will be just fine.  Sure the golf media will do the same thing the political media does.  Speculate everything to death, make mountains of mole hills, lie, you name it.  But they're in the entertainment biz.  

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

The USGA has no accountability. The groove ban was the single most idiotic and destructive rules change in golf. Golfer's should've boycott the USGA tournaments in response that year.

Actually I started the Outlaw Golf Association over on WRX and anyone on here is free to join. No money no application just a few loose rules.

#1 A hatred for the autocratic USGA

#2 Anytime you get a chance to slam them on social media do so

#3 Anytime they send you a application with the post paid envelope-- send it back empty

#4 Play any damn wedge you want to and anchor the putter if you want to

#5 Play however you and your group want to-- What they gonna do send a drone over to shoot at you if they see non conforming equipment?

I was a member and I have not renewed my membership going on 3 years now. I remember when at first I did not renew they sent me all kinds of notices and I fired off several I will say colorful letters sent to them in their own postage paid envelopes. Then I just started sending back their envelopes empty. They stopped mailing me after about 2 years.

If you read my signature it says it all as in I play what equipment I want to and could give two hoots what they say or think

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Actually I started the Outlaw Golf Association over on WRX and anyone on here is free to join. No money no application just a few loose rules.

#3 Anytime they send you a application with the post paid envelope-- send it back empty

#5 Play however you and your group want to-- What they gonna do send a drone over to shoot at you if they see non conforming equipment?

I was a member and I have not renewed my membership going on 3 years now. I remember when at first I did not renew they sent me all kinds of notices and I fired off several I will say colorful letters sent to them in their own postage paid envelopes. Then I just started sending back their envelopes empty. They stopped mailing me after about 2 years.

If you read my signature it says it all as in I play what equipment I want to and could give two hoots what they say or think

This is post is one of the many reasons why I love you like a brother Stu!!!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I agree with ya 100 % bruther! 

What I'm surprised about is the USGA has not banned short drivers yet! :D   I mean if long anchored putters (both belly & titty) are an unfair advantage, I'm surprised they don't call foul on the short drivers.   I mean hell if a driver helps the pros hit it straighter then those that don't play short are being penalized...   jk but not really ;) 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This thread seems to have run its course, but saw the following article and copying it in here, fyi.....

------ ------

(from Golf Vacation Insider)

"Why Millennials Should Get Golf Discounts, Too"

Wherever I go, as soon as I tell people that I get to travel and write about golf for a living, the next question out of their mouths is almost always the same:

“What's your favorite golf course?”

And I have the hardest time answering, because it's really, really difficult to quantify the greatness of truly great golf courses

So from now on, I'm considering answer this question with a golf course I've never played before: The Ridge at Castle Pines North in Castle Pines, Colorado.

I've heard good things about this Tom Weiskopf-designed upscale public course in suburban Denver, but what makes me love the course from afar is not the design, not the conditioning, but one specific policy they have.

And it's the only public golf course I've ever heard of that offers…

MILLENIAL DISCOUNTS FOR GOLF.

If I arrange to play The Ridge and pre-pay for my round, I can show my driver's license, which lists me as having been born October 10, 1989, and I will pay a full $40 less than the normal weekend rack rate of $145.

At practically every other public golf course, it's bass-ackwards. Seniors get the discounts.

Which is not surprising. It's the way a lot of consumer businesses work. My parents, both of the Baby Boomer generation, love to go to the movies, flash their AARP cards and save a buck or so off the latest flick.

But golf courses are especially reliant on seniors. My 60-something dad plays at the amazing, newly-renovated Hartford, Connecticut muni Keney Park Golf Course and pays the “Senior” rate, which is a full $11 less than “Adults” pay.

Now, I completely understand that competition for golfers' business is fierce, and that seniors make up a huge portion of the golfing population.

But $11 a round over the course of a year's worth of rounds for an avid player – say, 50 – means a whopping $550 difference between a â€œSenior” and an “Adult.” That's enough to pay for an extra weekend golf trip every year.

Is it any wonder that my generation is less enthused about the game than they otherwise could be?

Of course, to Keney Park's (and, also, practically every other course out there) credit, junior golfers get a nice break as well: they pay $13 less than “Adults” and a mere $2 less than “Seniors.”

Which makes sense. Making the game affordable for kids (and, by extension, Mom and Dad, who are usually paying Junior's green fees) is a no-brainer way to help supply the game with new blood. It's necessary for the game's long-term future.

But why is it that the day those juniors turn 18, they're locked into decades of paying the highest possible green fee? And I don't know many 18 year olds – or, for that matter, 25 year olds – who are that much better off, financially, than 17 year olds. If they're not lucky enough to either play collegiate golf or attend a university with its own course, a lot of college students give up the game due to its expense. That's a big problem.

Now, I will concede that on the surface, it makes sense to offer a bit of a price break to retirees, many of whom are lifelong golfers but now find themselves on a fixed income, be it via Social Security, a pension or other retirement savings avenues.

But there's a big problem that few people foresaw a few years ago. Unfortunately, my generation is virtually guaranteed to be the first one to be worse off than its parents', for a number of reasons that needn't be rehashed here (wage stagnation, rising costs of higher education, yadda yadda yadda). Studies are showing pretty uniformly that the older you are, the better-off you are financially.

Which raises a provocative question: why are golf courses giving the break to the wealthiest generation, and leaving us cash-strapped Millennials out in the cold?

“WHERE HAVE ALL THE GOLFERS GONE?”

Shouls Millennials pay less than seniors? I'm not going to argue that; I'd be content to be invited to pay the “Senior” rate until I'm 32 or 35. But I will point out that many private clubs have responded to the generational wealth gap by offering “Young Executive” memberships with significantly reduced initiation fees and dues.

Regardless, why does only one golf course seem to grasp the fact that by endearing themselves to 20- and 30-somethings now, those folks will keep coming back when they're more established, less-squeezed 40- and 50-somethings?

When are more courses going to take the long view, Like The Ridge at Castle Pines North, and put their rate structures in better alignment with the economic realities of the 21st century?

Hopefully soon, because once the Baby Boomer generation begins to age out of the game in large numbers (it's already starting to happen), courses that didn't plan for the future may well struggle to find customers, of any age.

And then, heaven-forbid, all the bad, alarmist takes about how golf is dying (it's not) and how young people don't like golf (preposterous…it's just pricey) might actually start to look more plausible.

Here's hoping that doesn't happen.

------

this article is at...

http://www.golfvacationinsider.com/cr/millennial-discounts-17797

------ ------

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

The author lost me when he called himself a "cash-strapped Millennial" while cheering the $40 discount off a $145 round of golf. Doesn't seem to be too cash-strapped if he can afford a $105 round of golf.

I'm a 41 year old man with 3 kids and I can't afford a $105 round of golf, so I play Munis or go on Golf Now for some discounts. When my kids are grown I'll probably play some nicer courses. And when I was 20-30 I golfed a hell of lot more than I do now, I played Munis and twilight then too to save a few bucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

He does seem a little whiny but his overall point is not a bad one. Golf courses should probably offer jr rates up to early 30s the way many private clubs do. It's true that young adults are far from their peak earning years and would probably play more golf if they got a cost break. Heck, we all would.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

The course I play is a geezer ranch. Average membership age is probably well over 50. Seniors don't get a discount. Junior golfers pay about 1/4 membership with no initiation. Intermediate 19 to 29 pay half membership and half initiation. Seems fair enough to me but there just aren't many younger people coming out. Shame really.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a novel concept.. Maybe if the courses gave discounts to Parents with there kids.. That would spark Both the child and parents interest to play more also allowing some very special parent and child time.. If nothing else it would introduce more kids..

Or maybe a set time for JUST parents and kids that way the people that have issues will play somewhere else during those times.. 

I take my daughter and grandson which are 9 and 10. Great kids both of them but what a handful trying to get them to Focus.. I even bribe them with Ice cream after the round... If you can hit past that tree.. ect.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Im sorry I don't see why someone 30 years old should pay less than me a hard working 53 year old.

Seniors are offered discounts because many are retired after working their entire lives to pay for the things you take for granted....in other words they earned it!

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Frankly, I'm not in the golf business so I don't care about growing the game.

Worst time in golf, for the average once a week golfer was during Tigers era.

Courses were crowded, everyone who could buy or steal red shirt and TW hat on the course, and etiquette was essentially out the window.

Now the fan boys have all but disappeared and normalcy has returned.

Except for the millenials of course. 😎

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

• 2 weeks later...

So as a millennial myself (generation x I think? 1990 whatever that is) I don't really see how golf would have to change to capture our generation. If we were patient enough to try it out for awhile. I think it boils down to entitlement, thinking that you have to play the nicest course with the nicest clubs and the $50 pro v's.

You don't, there are cost effective ways for playing golf. I mean heck go be a range picker and get free rounds. I'd trade an afternoon or two for some golf. Go play at the height of the heat as a young person and get the cheap tee times that older folks don't want. Don't complain about the system, work it to fit your needs or wants as a millennial golfer.

As a teacher my earning power is waaaaaaaayyy less than most 25-30 years olds and I still find a way to get my rounds in. Play munis, buy 4 year old clubs and wait for twilight. No complaints here! As a member of the targeted generation I wanted to share what I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Archived