You're not Special?

You get a Harrumph!! out of this guy!

• Like 6

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

For fear of being lumped into the ...."errrr Get off my lawn" demographic....I say preach on brother!!    Having worked in a past company that was so in-tuned into pleasing the millennials, they seemed to forget about the other 3,000 employees and pretty soon there was a bunch of infighting, and a Major exodus of a lot of mid level and senior personnel that left the EXEC committee scratching their head.   

I hate to lump everyone in that age group into an all encompassing group, but there are a lot of people in the 25 to 30 age range that seem to think, they deserve certain treatment or benefits that others have worked years for.   Just as there are some who I have met who come in and show a great amount of respect, appreciate learning from someone with experience, and don't laugh at the old foggy when you ask them to show you how to do something with new current technology..i.e Snapchat  :D

• Like 9

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

• SPY VIP

It's too late to capture millennials. That ship has sailed. Let's get after the 7-17 year olds right now. Grow the game from the bottom up.

This is a really good idea. How can it be accomplished? LOTS of junior camps in my area. Is that enough, or are there other avenues that need to be looked into.

• Like 3

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I think golf (and golfers like us) need to continue to reach out, to try to attract more people to the game, especially young people.  But the game itself does not need to be changed at all.  Of course, I'm an old curmudgeon too, and most curmudgeons seem to resist certain changes.  Resistance to changes has been going on for a long time.  For instance, in 1960 Richard Tufts, then on the USGA Rules Committee, questioned whether the rules were getting "too soft" as a response to populer demand for change.  He apparently didn't like rules changes that allowed you to repair ball marks!  And why was the stymie abolished??  We all managed to survive those changes just fine, along with countless other changes over the past 57 years.

Reference Mr. Tufts article:  http://gsrpdf.lib.msu.edu/ticpdf.py?file=/1960s/1960/601112.pdf

• Like 7

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• SPY VIP

I think cost is a huge factor. I know the only reason I played as a teen was because I worked at a course and it was free to practice and play.

I think we need to drastically reduce the cost to lower the barrier to entry for kids, especially kids of lower to middle class families who don't have a ton of disposable income.

I'm not going to pretend to know how to get that accomplished, but it's something I would love to see happen.

Maybe free range balls for juniors on a certain day or days of the week. Monthly free clinics for juniors. I know the maybe give kids a chance to get up early a day a week in the summer, pick range balls from the range, then to play nine holes for free with an assistant pro walking with them to lend some advice.

Lots of options, I just think we need the PGA or USGA to do a better job and backing junior golf outside of The First Tee.

Just my two cents as a 26 year old that would love to be able to play for the next 50 years.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I know that the local First Tee program around here gives young players some of these perks on local courses. $5 to walk 9 holes kind of thing.

The other thing that came to mind is that the older players also need to be welcoming, and nurturing when we see kids on the course playing. Too often it's easy to get pissed that they are slowing down play, not following the rules, or whatever. The term "teachable moment" needs to be the norm.

This is true for new golfers in general. I had a twosome in a cart behind me yesterday. I was walking solo and just hitting balls from different areas, as well as testing the new Bridgestone balls. Aka going nowhere fast.

So I wave the two through on the par 3, and the one guy proceeds to shoot about a 10 on the hole. I made sure to be vocal about knowing that they didn't need to rush, and commiserating on how golf is a game we love to hate. Had I been a dick (I let you play through and you play like this?) we could have lost a player from the game. It only takes that much to turn someone off.

• Like 8

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Sounds like someone triggered himself  :P

Lets look some sports that have changed:

Football- forward pass, helmets, quarters, etc,

Basketball- dunks, 3 point shots, Flagrant fouls

I could go on, but lets keep it short.

Don't know what aspects they were trying to say needed to change (didn't watch), but I'd like the addition of a shot clock.

Or maybe allowing people to play through, seems to be most  folks at every course i got to, don't like to let people play through.

• Like 2

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

As what would be considered an "old" Millennial (I don't really put myself into that category as basically none of the stereotypes of this generation fit me) I agree with you Plaid. Golf's history and charm are what make it what it is.

I would also agree that golf needs to do a better job of SOMEHOW becoming more accessible to younger kids. I was lucky that my dad belonged to a country club and I could play/practice as much as I desired. With that said - many of my friends today don't play and a lot of that can be chalked up to never having the CHANCE to play. I've been able to get a few of them out there and they have almost all taken a liking to the game.

• Like 3

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I'm going to say this and hope I don't get pelted with golf balls, but golf can be downright boring, especially watching it on tv. Younger kids just dont have the patience of the kids 20-30 years ago had. Blame it on technology and the instant gratification that it has fostered or the 1000 channel line up on cable. I liked what the European tour did this past tourney with a shot clock, fireworks during the introduction and shortened format. That's a step in the right direction to get kids interested in the game.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 5

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1X

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing:  2021:titelist-small: T200's (https://forum.mygolfspy.com/tests/19-test-in-progress-titleist-t-series-irons/?do=findReview&review=38)

There is a happy medium somewhere.  The game doesn't need to change, but it needs to adapt - and the "get off my lawn" people need to understand that it's how the game is going to survive long term - long after the old timers are buried in the ground

• Like 5

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 60D

:EVNROLL: ER1v #CustomER

:titelist-small: ProV1

From my narrow point of view I don't see the need to change golf to accommodate any group. Let alone Millennials. Or the elderly or baby boomers or some other X or Y generation. If you want to play and participate in the game welcome aboard. If not... have a nice day. You are not special or unique. The world doesn't revolve around you, me or anyone else.

Have a nice day. 

Plaid, you are a good poster, but this is one of the most short-sighted things I've read on MGS (and it seems you are aware of that, as you started the paragraph with "from my narrow point of view")

• Like 3

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 60D

:EVNROLL: ER1v #CustomER

:titelist-small: ProV1

As I mentioned the other day. Watching golf on tv without shot tracer is like watching them take 70ish practice swings.

I think things like WM Open, and The Players are good events to get some people interested. But when they play at 8000 yards with rough that's knee deep... why would some kid want to endure that kind of punishment?

Golf is already hard enough. Making courses longer, keeping the rough too deep... the list goes on makes a hard game harder. And the rules... yup.

And yes all the private courses that have their members/guests play. How full are these courses compared to public?

And the cost to play the game doesn't help either. $700-1000+ for clubs (new) $20-$50+ for a box of balls. $20 - $600 to play the game. So just to get started to play one round IF you buy clubs your looking at around $800 on the cheap end just to play once. I know there are cheaper clubs and whatnot but that's still a lot of cash for these kids to fork over and they might hate the game. Yeah yeah, rentals..

• Like 3

The team events help too. I think it brings a good element to the game.

How much is a ticket to go to an event? $100 or more? Never been, don't know.

• Like 2

The team events help too. I think it brings a good element to the game.

How much is a ticket to go to an event? $100 or more? Never been, don't know.

Again, to help grow the game from the junior level, the Manulife LPGA that is played in our area gives free tickets to anyone under 18 accompanied by a paying adult, just to get kids in the door. The LPGA I think is ahead of the curve engaging young people, autograph sessions, etc. They do a great job in our area every year. The Canadian Open is about an hour down the road, and it is poorly attended by big players, most of whom couldn't be bothered to interact with fans. JR tickets aren't free either. A little help at the pro level goes a long way.

• Like 2

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Again, to help grow the game from the junior level, the Manulife LPGA that is played in our area gives free tickets to anyone under 18 accompanied by a paying adult, just to get kids in the door. The LPGA I think is ahead of the curve engaging young people, autograph sessions, etc. They do a great job in our area every year. The Canadian Open is about an hour down the road, and it is poorly attended by big players, most of whom couldn't be bothered to interact with fans. JR tickets aren't free either. A little help at the pro level goes a long way.

actually, I think most LPGA events are that way, kids get in free w/ paying adult....i might be wrong though

• Like 1

Driver:   :honma: TR20 10.5*

Utility Iron: :cleveland-small: UHX 18*

Hybrid:   :callaway-small: Epic 4h 23* 

Irons:    :mizuno-small: JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :mizuno-small:M Craft Type V

Ball:   :bridgestone-small: Tour BXS