You're not Special?

Another aspect that I have noticed in teenagers lately (as their teacher/coach and #1 enemy) that they don't like to try things they won't succeed at right away. They have a huge fear of failure, which has a lot to do with parents and schools not allowing them small failures while they are younger. As a result, they don't like golf, because it's hard and they'll shoot 100 and they don't want to.

This! I coach high school bowling and over the years I've noticed this as well. So many kids are closed off to help its crazy. They try out, join the team, but then seem to catch attitudes or get down on themselves if they don't like a change I've made with their game. I know that if they practice it that it'll make a positive difference in the long run but all they can see is that for the past 10 shots they've struggled and they basically give up.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

• SPY VIP

So I'm a gen X  and grew up with the game since 8 years old. I'm all for change to help grow a game in changing times. This is not the same world as it was 30 years ago. If we're going to grow the game we need to do it without destroying the core values and traditions. There needs to be a happy medium where the game evolves accepting this new world and the kids we've all raised in it, all the while still encompassing and maintaining the core values of golf.

Most millennial's I encounter just want to be apart of something cool without disturbing what's come before them. Why shouldn't we accept them and there ways with open arms? I've noticed a growing issue however, with the 45+ age group that almost doesn't want a new generation in some fear of losing their baby.

• Like 9

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP
twitmbp.jpg

wimb2.jpg 

latestreview.jpg 

So I'm a gen X and grew up with the game since 8 years old. I'm all for change to help grow a game in changing times. This is not the same world as it was 30 years ago. If we're going to grow the game we need to do it without destroying the core values and traditions. There needs to be a happy medium where the game evolves accepting this new world and the kids we've all raised in it, all the while still encompassing and maintaining the core values of golf.

Most millennial's I encounter just want to be apart of something cool without disturbing what's come before them. Why shouldn't we accept them and there ways with open arms? I've noticed a growing issue however, with the 45+ age group that almost doesn't want a new generation in some fear of losing their baby.

Bingo

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 60D

:EVNROLL: ER1v #CustomER

:titelist-small: ProV1

• SPY VIP

As another Gen X'er you may want to bump that 45 number or you'll get kicked out of the group... (Born 1965-1984 is Gen X) ;)

People who resist change are likely destined to be disappointed. Changes don't need to be major, but those of us who have been around a bit know that nothing ever really stays the same. Typically, change is for the better, or it doesn't last long. aka New Coke and Crystal Pepsi.

• Like 3

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

As a millenial I will jump in here. I have a couple different thoughts on this.

First off the phrase millenial has come to be a wide spectrum of people from 14-30 which simply doesnt work. I think there is a distinct cut off right around the HS Class of 2009. I am a class of 2007 kid. The biggest thing that influences how you act was your age at 9/11. I was in 7th grade and vividly remember life before and life after 9/11. I remember the change in the country. We became more fearful. Kids who were 5th grade and younger at the time dont really remember life before 9/11. They remember always having a cautious attitude towards people and things.

Second. Your generation raised us. We didnt demand trophies for participation. You guys gave them to us. Dont forget who raised Millenials. We didnt come out of the womb entitled.

Third in regards to golf. Golf changes. If it didnt we would all be playing hickory shafts wearing vests and ties on the course. They change golf for every generation. If it didnt golf wouldnt survive. Do I think you must change the basics of the sport? No. The cup shouldnt be bigger etc. But I think if a kid likes to listen to music on the course so be it. If its the difference between him wanting to play or not let him. The biggest a**holes I see on the course are not "millenials" they are usually a bunch of middle age guys

Sorry if that rant means I was "triggered"

I agree with the above. I'm certain every generation has made similar comments to the OP about their proceeding generations. I've heard many from the "greatest generation" complain about their baby boomer kids and generation x grandchildren.

I'm fine with storied courses maintaining traditions, but I think in general, most munis could afford to ease up on dress codes, allow music on the course, offer more 9 hole options, etc.

I think things like PGA Jr. League are steps in the right direction. It's in golf's best interest for more people to remain interested and engaged in the sport. Trying to alienate any generation would ultimately hurt the sport that we all love.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

I see an effort being made, at least local to me, to get some of the younger kids involved with golf camps, first tee, etc.  I think it is great.  There is a par 3 course close to my house that has a reputation of being a good place to take your kids to the golf course, whether on the course or at the driving range.  Everyone that goes there is really cool with being ok that the range might be a little louder than they are used to.  I think this is great, I realize not all courses can or should be like this but it is good to have some in the mix to help grow the game.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

... Many if you are just spoiled by the Tiger era. When I was in high school in Greensboro NC NOBODY played golf, Especially athletes. I think there were 4 Country Clubs and 2 public courses. This is only 1971 so not that long ago in the history of the game. Tiger made golf popular and all of a sudden courses were popping up everywhere. There is no way that growth was going to be maintained. As many others have stated, it is a very difficult game and takes a certain kind of person to make it a lifelong endeavor. 

...  I have no idea about the future of the game. Things have changed so much already, and all for the good. Casual clothes allowed most places, relaxed rules, range finders, etc. This is not the old Country Club stuffed shirt game the seniors in my high school class played in long white cuffed pants, a long sleeve white button down shirt and a tie. A TIE! I am certainly not saying we need to go back to an ancient era, but the current era is unsustainable because it was built on a bubble of new people coming to the game that never were going to stick with it. Courses will close, demand will decrease and only those really interested in playing will remain. So as long as the difficulty of the game remains and the courses are generally the same, I am all for any changes that make it more attractive to a younger generation. 

• Like 7

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                  :taylormade-small: MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour/TP5x (2021)

I think cost is a huge factor. I know the only reason I played as a teen was because I worked at a course and it was free to practice and play.

I think we need to drastically reduce the cost to lower the barrier to entry for kids, especially kids of lower to middle class families who don't have a ton of disposable income.

And the cost to play the game doesn't help either. $700-1000+ for clubs (new) $20-$50+ for a box of balls. $20 - $600 to play the game. So just to get started to play one round IF you buy clubs your looking at around $800 on the cheap end just to play once. I know there are cheaper clubs and whatnot but that's still a lot of cash for these kids to fork over and they might hate the game. Yeah yeah, rentals..

Cost is one factor but there are a few other popular activities that seem to grab the Millennials interest that are just as expensive--snowboarding/skiing comes to mind. So maybe only part of the story.

While speaking of cost though, we also need to keep in mind that there was a lot of millennials entering the workforce during the recession that had a hard time getting jobs.  So some of this generation is just starting to get into a more stable income right now.  They may start taking up the game in their thirties or forties.  So let's not count them out yet!

• Like 1
:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I like how so many people comment as if millennials are visitors from another planet.

News flash, tons of people on this forum didn't graduate high school before 2000 (which is the official cutoff for a millennial).

• Like 1

I can't quote for some reason but I'm referencing MBP's post in the first part....

Most Millennials I know of and read about want to disrupt what came along before them. Some work hard at it too.  It's like a badge of honor. In other words.,,, not fit in. Many also are pissed they bought a worthless education and now can't find a good paying job and perhaps even owe a ton of money. Selling coffee at Starbucks for most isn't exactly the career they dreamed of. This is probably leading to an entirely different topic at another venue... so... back to golf.

So let's imagine golf like it was back in... for example, the 60's or even 70's. If anyone should have been concerned about growing the game it would have been those folks. Would it not? Much much lower participation back then and certainly not inclusive as today. Someone please find me the article from Golf Digest where the USGA and PGA were wringing their hands. Back then these were rather small obscure organizations. Now days they are huge financially. Honestly, I don't see any harm in shrinking the game. There will still be golf to be played for anyone of a like mind. It's not going to vanish just because some newer generation isn't all that into it. Don't people still play chess and baseball?

The ones wringing their hands and gnashing the teeth are the powers of golf. The USGA and PGA mostly. Perhaps this also includes the equipment mfg's, and TV and other advertising and media outlets. Their REVENUE has been shrinking after an unprecedented BOOM! IMO the industry is settling back slowly and steadily into a more normal realistic level. Golf is a quite game historically speaking. The things golf historically demands and teaches are not cool or accepted to many people these days. Society as a whole has become much more coarse and self centered. This is directly at odds with golf. Again, I say... if you don't like golf and what it represents or even demands of an individual; or for whatever other reason you choose that's fine. Move along. Sorry to see you go. But, go fine something that suits you better. There's a lot out there to chose from. But don't expect the game to change because YOU don't like it or don't have time, money, patience, or skill. That's your problem. Not mine or anyone else's.

• Like 5

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Lots of pretty crazy generalizations being made here

Time to bow out of this one

• Like 5

I can't quote for some reason but I'm referencing MBP's post in the first part....

Most Millennials I know of and read about want to disrupt what came along before them. Some work hard at it too.  It's like a badge of honor. In other words.,,, not fit in. Many also are pissed they bought a worthless education and now can't find a good paying job and perhaps even owe a ton of money. Selling coffee at Starbucks for most isn't exactly the career they dreamed of. This is probably leading to an entirely different topic at another venue... so... back to golf.

So let's imagine golf like it was back in... for example, the 60's or even 70's. If anyone should have been concerned about growing the game it would have been those folks. Would it not? Much much lower participation back then and certainly not inclusive as today. Someone please find me the article from Golf Digest where the USGA and PGA were wringing their hands. Back then these were rather small obscure organizations. Now days they are huge financially. Honestly, I don't see any harm in shrinking the game. There will still be golf to be played for anyone of a like mind. It's not going to vanish just because some newer generation isn't all that into it. Don't people still play chess and baseball?

The ones wringing their hands and gnashing the teeth are the powers of golf. The USGA and PGA mostly. Perhaps this also includes the equipment mfg's, and TV and other advertising and media outlets. Their REVENUE has been shrinking after an unprecedented BOOM! IMO the industry is settling back slowly and steadily into a more normal realistic level. Golf is a quite game historically speaking. The things golf historically demands and teaches are not cool or accepted to many people these days. Society as a whole has become much more coarse and self centered. This is directly at odds with golf. Again, I say... if you don't like golf and what it represents or even demands of an individual; or for whatever other reason you choose that's fine. Move along. Sorry to see you go. But, go fine something that suits you better. There's a lot out there to chose from. But don't expect the game to change because YOU don't like it or don't have time, money, patience, or skill. That's your problem. Not mine or anyone else's.

No one expects golf the change. I certaintly dont and none of my millenial friends expect it. You cant get pissy when it does change though. You make it sound like you want the game played how you want it to be played which sounds a lot like what youre bitching about. 

• Like 4

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

I can tell you guys are enjoying this crazy old man's thoughts. LOL

Sometimes you just have to tell it like it is.

That golf channel program got to me.

:)

• Like 4

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

plaid, both you and numberonncoog make Excellent points, showing it's a multi-generational cause and problem. The millennial generation didn't raise themselves and many parents are waaaaay too overprotective of theirs kids' feelings, leading to some of them having no backbone or ability to handle failure and/or thinking they are special.

There seems to be an attitude issue on both sides, usually some form of entitlement, whether it's (some) older/experienced players feeling like golf is "theirs" and newer/weaker golfers shouldn't be on golf courses, while (some) younger /newer players thinking golf should change to match the way more fast paced consumption they're used to.

When we golf and my 9 year old nephew plays, we tee him up from our 2nd or 3rd shot, depending on hole length, and it doesn't really slow us down, so maybe have a very forward set of tees ( yes executive courses fit this bill as well) Courses could also do 3- or 6-hole mini-rounds, the challenge would be where to start them.

As GolfSpyDave noted, Sacramento has a good junior 1st Tee program that makes the cost of entry very low and many courses welcome it.

• Like 4
What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

It's golf festivus! 200_s.gif

• Like 4

If you consider yourself a Millennial you might feel Triggered (LOL) by the following ----

Last night I was watching the golf channel and listening to a rather long discussion about the state of the game so to speak. Meaning golf in general. I know, we keep hearing this all the time. And, it's getting a little worn-out if you ask me. So basically last night the talkers were all worried about... get this; Millennials! I'm serious. Everyone seemed to agree except Chamblee somewhat that golf needs to change because Millennials are so unique and different. My goodness. I had no idea. I could hardly believe what I was hearing. It was as if a new species have settled on the planet and we must now accommodate them, change our ways, and perhaps most importantly change golf for them. What a bunch of horse$hit. Wikipedia defines this "cohort" as generally being born somewhere in the early 80's up to early 2000's. And again according to Wikipedia Millennials have increased familiarity with communications, media?, and digital technologies. Big Whoop. I could unravel those items easily but I'll save it. Still I suppose the Mills have quite a burden to bare and therefore they are special I guess.

From my narrow point of view I don't see the need to change golf to accommodate any group. Let alone Millennials. Or the elderly or baby boomers or some other X or Y generation. If you want to play and participate in the game welcome aboard. If not... have a nice day. You are not special or unique. The world doesn't revolve around you, me or anyone else.

Have a nice day. :)

I am glad you posted that shows I am not the only crumudgen on here!!!!  In a nutshell I do my own thing and march to the beat of my own drummer. If one wants to come along for the ride that is fine. If not go and do your own thing with my blessings. 

• Like 5

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 5 thru PW 2016 TM TP CBs Steelfiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy2 52* Stock regular shaft--- SW Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind modified to 10* bounce KBS wedge shaft R---- Putter Scotty Sante Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft you seriously think it was going anywhere? Bag Old School Burton Mini Staff non demontional no advertising

I think this conversation is ludicrous.

It doesn't matter what generation you come from, stereotyping an entire group of people who are no different than you is down right disrespectful.

I treat absolutely no person regardless of gender, age, race, creed or sexual orientation differently. We are ALL created equal and just because we see the world (and this game) differently doesn't make anything that we believe in less valuable that the feelings you have. I feel like this is a basic law of common decency, but maybe that's just a millennial thing.

I find it totally offensive for someone to disregard an opinion of another human being simply because they are younger than them. Yes, you have experience. Yes, you are welcome to what you think. So am I. You are no better or worse than I and our views on how this game should be played do NOT have to align. Each generation shapes the world around it. Golf will live or die by the millennials choice, and that's out of both of our control.

If we have an appreciation for the "old ways" of the game, does that mean we have to ban women from clubs? How about people of color? Should we go back to hickory and ballata?

Change is good, it is what makes the world a better place. The "get off my lawn" philosophy is what has gotten us into so many of the issues we face today. Being a little more open minded and willing to grow is the only way we fix any of the issues we face as a society (golf or otherwise). Inevitably some people will walk away from the game. But at the end of the day demographics win and last I checked millennials aren't going anywhere.

That's all I have to say.

Man I should have just stayed out of this thread...

You said what I've been thinking (and biting my tongue about) all afternoon. This type of attitude is similar to that of racism and sexism. However it's more "innocent" because we're stereotyping an age group and not a religious group or sexual preference.
  • Like 6