Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

You're not Special?

I think this conversation is ludicrous.

It doesn't matter what generation you come from, stereotyping an entire group of people who are no different than you is down right disrespectful.

I treat absolutely no person regardless of gender, age, race, creed or sexual orientation differently. We are ALL created equal and just because we see the world (and this game) differently doesn't make anything that we believe in less valuable that the feelings you have. I feel like this is a basic law of common decency, but maybe that's just a millennial thing.

I find it totally offensive for someone to disregard an opinion of another human being simply because they are younger than them. Yes, you have experience. Yes, you are welcome to what you think. So am I. You are no better or worse than I and our views on how this game should be played do NOT have to align. Each generation shapes the world around it. Golf will live or die by the millennials choice, and that's out of both of our control.

If we have an appreciation for the "old ways" of the game, does that mean we have to ban women from clubs? How about people of color? Should we go back to hickory and ballata?

Change is good, it is what makes the world a better place. The "get off my lawn" philosophy is what has gotten us into so many of the issues we face today. Being a little more open minded and willing to grow is the only way we fix any of the issues we face as a society (golf or otherwise). Inevitably some people will walk away from the game. But at the end of the day demographics win and last I checked millennials aren't going anywhere.

That's all I have to say.

Man I should have just stayed out of this thread...

It's already out of millennials' hands- if we think ahead, the future of our game lies in the coming generation(s).

Now, I took up golf because my Father and Grandfather (and uncles) played together on Sundays, and it was a way to get away from the ladies after Church (although my Nana played often and well). They took me out when I asked to go along, and mostly put up with me. It was a cool thing to be included in your heroes' game, and I probably was marked for life early on. Once I was old enough to play a full nine by unaided, the favors and gimmees dried up, but I felt more accomplishment for it.

The generational gap really didn't matter then as much as the generational connection did. We played golf because we loved the game. We played together because we loved each other. We played by the rules (mostly) because we respected the old ways.

The rules don't need to change, we don't need to cater to any specific group, we don't need to worship outdated modes, and we don't need to prop up a bubble! We just should introduce our young ones to a most compelling (and rewarding) challenge, and let them see the joy, sorrow, the anguish and satisfaction of our game. Golf doesn't need to be anything more than it is- and it shouldn't be less.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's already out of millennials' hands- if we think ahead, the future of our game lies in the coming generation(s).

Now, I took up golf because my Father and Grandfather (and uncles) played together on Sundays, and it was a way to get away from the ladies after Church (although my Nana played often and well). They took me out when I asked to go along, and mostly put up with me. It was a cool thing to be included in your heroes' game, and I probably was marked for life early on. Once I was old enough to play a full nine by unaided, the favors and gimmees dried up, but I felt more accomplishment for it.

The generational gap really didn't matter then as much as the generational connection did. We played golf because we loved the game. We played together because we loved each other. We played by the rules (mostly) because we respected the old ways.

The rules don't need to change, we don't need to cater to any specific group, we don't need to worship outdated modes, and we don't need to prop up a bubble! We just should introduce our young ones to a most compelling (and rewarding) challenge, and let them see the joy, sorrow, the anguish and satisfaction of our game. Golf doesn't need to be anything more than it is- and it shouldn't be less.

Great story .. well said!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

As a millennial, I can definitely see merit in what you are saying about changing to accommodate the millennial generation's "consuming habits" for lack of a better term. Probably not the best idea.

However, golf does need to change. Specifically, we need to do a much better job of catering to children, and teens. We need to make the game so incredibly accessible to them. The industry is in decline. We need a new generation of golfers to come up behind us to rebuild the game if we want a bright future. No golfers leads to fewer courses/ranges, which leads to the eventual demise of golf.

It's too late to capture millennials. That ship has sailed. Let's get after the 7-17 year olds right now. Grow the game from the bottom up.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

And that's exactly what I'm doing..... And so can anyone!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/21122-starting-the-first-tee-in-your-hometown/

https://thefirsttee.org/

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that changing the game doesn't have anything to do with millennials being special in any way. The change to the game, in which the industry is concerned is reversing the downtrend of popularity to the sport. It just so happens, that the millennials are the current generation of youth that is of focus. However; again, it isn't about them being special.

The debate is how to increase popularity and reverse the downward trend. When it comes to millennials, there are a few concerns, such as instant gratification, needing to see improvement, and time. Instant gratification is probably the biggest knock on millennials because of modern technology and the instant "now" mentality. Golf doesn't provide that in any way. It is also a driving factor in seeing improvement, and we all know, you can't go from shooting over 100 to scratch in a summer, so the slow progress and slow gratification, make the game less attractive to millennials. In focus groups, the length of playing time is also too long, especially considering modern working norms. Also consider a two parent household, with both parent working (something prior generations didn't experience as much). This makes it extremely difficult to balance time for a family, work, etc. None of these are a way to express how millennials are special.

Additionally there is bigger problem of cost. Unless you second hand buy equipment it will cost north of $1000 to get all the equipment you need, and that is with at least reputable equipment. Lets face it, avid golfers secretly laugh at box sets, and don't take those golfers seriously. Additionally there is the cost to play, the pressure for lessons, fittings, etc. As an added twist when you compare this to other sports, golf is extremely high priced for the same "fun factor".

Speaking of other sports, the last main focus, is bringing in youth and the lack of youth programs. They exist, here and there, but they are still not at a level where other sports thrive in gaining young players. Even where youth programs do exist, there is still emphasis on purchasing high dollar equipment, lessons, etc.

All of these points lead to what to change about golf to bring back its popularity. It isn't about changing rules (some do argue that), but it is more about changing the culture of golf, and brining in programs that bring in younger people to keep the game going for future generations.

There are ideas for 9 hole mini leagues that focus on using 5-7 clubs. This reduces time of play and equipment needed. 9 hole leagues used to be popular, where now its either 18 holes or none. Bringing back the popularity of 9 holes instead of 18 can help fix the millennials issue on time.

Youth programs that include equipment and on smaller portable courses. One idea I ran across talked about using a football field and converting it into a miniature 9 hole course for children. They sign up for teams like many other youth sports, and are given the equipment needed to play (3-5 clubs). Then they compete on a level playing field by age group. YMCA, and other youth sponsors would go as far as not emphasizing winning, but more fun and learning to play. Coaches would help with basic swinging fundamentals only, and the coaches would be volunteers, not PGA pro staff. Older youth programs would use the same format, but expand it to actual 9 hole courses, leaving 18 hole courses and programs to high school and older age teens. Older youth would still be issued the equipment needed like many little league programs are. You can bring your own equipment, but if you can't afford it they will be provided for you. An additional fix to the cost issue, youth programs would have a single entry fee matching those of similar sports, and also do away with green fees for every game. Which is one of the biggest issues expressed by parents. The idea is to bring golf's cost to be competitive with other youth sports and make golf an option. Many parent find golf to be too expensive and just don't consider it. These programs would reverse that trend.

Another program idea I found, takes putt putt golf to a new level, by adding mini par 3s as part of the course. This would be a 2 club game on 9 or 18 hole course with the longest tee being 50 yards. Basically chip and putt par3s with greens being similar to those found on putt putt courses. The idea is similar to Top Golf, but less pressure and emphasis on accuracy and points. Courses could be built indoors and/or outdoors and catered to older youth and family fun outings.

Of course traditional golf is left the same. The big change for the game as we know it, is more on ranges that go more high tech and state of the art. Proposals include using launch monitors at outdoor ranges that gives feedback not only on ball flight, but simple coaching methods and positive feedback. In addition these high tech ranges would included simulated games, without putting. You'd would be given the length of the hole and take your shot until you reach the green and then advance to the next hole. The emphasis is more on making the range fun and enjoyable with the hopes that more people will take their game to the course.

You're giving Chamblee too much credit. He's a provocateur and his opinion carries as much water as a bucket full of holes. I'll continue to watch the millennial generation dominate handily while smashing the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

• 2 weeks later...

If you consider yourself a Millennial you might feel Triggered (LOL) by the following ----

Last night I was watching the golf channel and listening to a rather long discussion about the state of the game so to speak. Meaning golf in general. I know, we keep hearing this all the time. And, it's getting a little worn-out if you ask me. So basically last night the talkers were all worried about... get this; Millennials! I'm serious. Everyone seemed to agree except Chamblee somewhat that golf needs to change because Millennials are so unique and different. My goodness. I had no idea. I could hardly believe what I was hearing. It was as if a new species have settled on the planet and we must now accommodate them, change our ways, and perhaps most importantly change golf for them. What a bunch of horse$hit. Wikipedia defines this "cohort" as generally being born somewhere in the early 80's up to early 2000's. And again according to Wikipedia Millennials have increased familiarity with communications, media?, and digital technologies. Big Whoop. I could unravel those items easily but I'll save it. Still I suppose the Mills have quite a burden to bare and therefore they are special I guess.

From my narrow point of view I don't see the need to change golf to accommodate any group. Let alone Millennials. Or the elderly or baby boomers or some other X or Y generation. If you want to play and participate in the game welcome aboard. If not... have a nice day. You are not special or unique. The world doesn't revolve around you, me or anyone else.

Have a nice day. :)

Love it, well said!

Archived