TESTERS WANTED! ×

2017 "Most Wanted Golf Ball"

MGS, the driver test was fantastic but, I think there are one or two OEMs that still aren't sufficiently enraged by your unbiased data. So, when do we get to see a, "Most Wanted Golf Ball" study?

I saw that back in December the subject was unofficially broached. Is this in the works?

I would love to see this in a similar format as you do for drivers. Get a bunch of testers, have them use their own clubs and a control set of clubs. Data collected using the testers' own clubs could be compared ball to ball relative each tester's average performance, with control clubs you could just put the raw data out there. Perhaps use a driver and a 7i.

For short game, you could use a combination of launch monitor data and player questionnaires.

For putts, you could use a similar format as was used in the "Most Wanted Putter" test, looking at strokes gained per round.

I realize, a proper ball test is a huge endeavor but I think it's what MGS was made for!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

the trouble with a ball test is do you compare a 4 piece ball to a 2 piece ball or a 3 to a 4... ect

There are so many different types and manufactures out there it become a very difficult task to do a proper test.

I think the only fair way to do a proper test is you have to do a 2 piece ball test and then a 3 piece test and a 4 piece test and have them all separate. 

I would love to see MGS do this as I believe that the golf ball is the most untruly marketed piece of golf equipment out there. everyone clams to be long and soft and straight. Which ones provide what they are actually claiming? 

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

Time to invest in a swing robot and put every ball to the test. Those would be some interesting numbers.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

the trouble with a ball test is do you compare a 4 piece ball to a 2 piece ball or a 3 to a 4... ect

There are so many different types and manufactures out there it become a very difficult task to do a proper test.

I think the only fair way to do a proper test is you have to do a 2 piece ball test and then a 3 piece test and a 4 piece test and have them all separate. 

I would love to see MGS do this as I believe that the golf ball is the most untruly marketed piece of golf equipment out there. everyone clams to be long and soft and straight. Which ones provide what they are actually claiming? 

Honestly, I don't care how the ball is built, I care how it performs. 

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

How the ball is built is directly related to how the ball performs. Different golfers with different swing types (slow or fast swing speed, hooks/slices tendencies ect..)  have different needs from the balls they use.

The correct ball type selection for your swing will help you be more consistent in your shots.

example - if your swing speed is say 70 or 80mph and you slice the ball why would you use a ProV1? Just because it's a "performance ball"? in most cases a ball like that will actually make your problems worse not better as you're getting a lot more spin which will increase your slice.

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

Time to invest in a swing robot and put every ball to the test. Those would be some interesting numbers.

Would it? Personally, I think any results would be pretty boring reading. Unless we can allow robots to hit balls for us during a round, then any data collated from those machines would be useless.

I care how a ball feels first and foremost. Next is how receptive it is to spin. The trajectory part can be controlled by myself. The distance part is down to the rules of golf and what makes the ball conforming.

In just about any test I've ever seen the results were inconclusive, or not worth caring about. Interesting? Er....no.

If anyone can find a ball that they're happy with and at a price point that they like, I would say that the robots can go and jump in lake and rust.

How the ball is built is directly related to how the ball performs. Different golfers with different swing types (slow or fast swing speed, hooks/slices tendencies ect..)  have different needs from the balls they use.

The correct ball type selection for your swing will help you be more consistent in your shots.

example - if your swing speed is say 70 or 80mph and you slice the ball why would you use a ProV1? Just because it's a "performance ball"? in most cases a ball like that will actually make your problems worse not better as you're getting a lot more spin which will increase your slice.

Yes, I still don't see that as an argument for separate tests. Let everyone test everything. See how the data plays out. You can group people and balls by any sub set you want later. Don't limit the test to what you think "should" be right, just let the data speak for itself!

Ain't gonna lie, I doubt I could tell the difference between many golf balls in similar class. ie: v1 vs tp vs zstar etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

I might be in the minority here, but I'm not interested in this at all. Because golf balls are so plentiful, and the results would have to be so detailed, the time this would take to do (to the MGS standard of course) would make it ridiculous. Testing every golf ball out there from every situation, with launch monitors, and multiple testers, is just too massive an undertaking. I would hate to lose things like glove tests, shoe tests, etc. just for balls.

Guys on youtube are reviewing balls all the time. In general, when you group balls by what type they are, they perform basically the same. Dean Snell has been saying for years that testing for distance is useless because almost all balls go about the same distance. 

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I don't know if they need to do a full blown golf ball test, but I would be interested to see an update of the smaller market balls compared to one another. I know MGS blew the golf world away with the Costco Kirkland ball review, but I would be interested in seeing a report of Kirkland vs Snell vs Vice etc to see what the best value of those are. For example, the Kirkland may perform well, but if the cover is going to wear twice as quickly as the Vice counterpart, how does that factor in to the value you are getting. I think a story was done similar to this a couple of years ago before other boutique golf ball companies all went out of business because of lawsuits for patent infringement, but it would be interesting to see an update of how the players still left in that "tour caliber but affordable" sweet spot stack up. 

Driver: Nike Covert Tour 2.0, Kuro Kage Silver TiNi (S) cut to 44.5" -- Wood: Callaway X-Hot pro 4 Wood 17* stock project x shaft (S) Hybrid: Bridgestone Precept ECU 21* (S) -- Irons: Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro KBS C taper (S) -- Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 54*, 58* (W) -- Putter: Odyssey O Works Red #7s 35” -- Bucket List Courses Played: Forest Dunes, The Loop at Forest Dunes Black and Red, All Tree Tops courses, Black Wolf Run, The Irish Course at Whistling Straits

I'd love a test of all the urethane balls out there.  I play the Taylormade Project (a) a lot, and love it because it is affordable, has great feel, but doesn't spin like crazy off the tee or for long iron shots.  That said, there are lots of urethane's out there, and I'd like to see MGS see what I'm missing. 

What's in the Bag:

Driver - Titleist TS2 11.5, Diamana 70 Stiff Flex

FW - Callaway Razr X 3 Wood

Rescue - Taylormade Rocketballz 4 Rescue

Irons - Callaway Apex CF19, Nippon S. Pro 1050 GH, Stiff Flex

Wedges - Titleist Vokey S4 48, 52, 56, and 60

Putter - Odyssey OWorks Marxman

And let's not forget to include the MG Tour C4 in the testing.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

@jhellrung, I too use the Taylormade project A and love it. I've tried other balls in similar construction,  Callaway, Snell, Titlelist and found with the A's to be more consistently straighter off the tee and more green control with my wedges.

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

I'm actually pretty curious to see an honest and comprehensive test of the main golf balls out there (e.g. Pro V1, ChromeSoft, etc.), and see how they compare to the new kids on the block (Snell, Forte, Kirkland, etc.). Realistically, the biggest differences between them all (if any) would become apparent on the full wedge shot (~120-150yd) and pitching into greens (~50yd), as well as any "feel" comments made from simply putting the balls across a green (that's how I know if a ball is worth keeping in my bag or not).

Potentially, you could use the winning entry as your control ball in any future "Most Wanted" club tests.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

The thing I'd most like to learn about choosing golf balls is how different balls actually affect your game, based on specific knowledge of your game.

For example, if I know I swing my driver 104mph on average, how does a ball that is claimed to be for under 105mph swings affect my game Vs. a ball that is claimed to be for over 105mph.

Is swing speed actually the best measurement for choosing a ball, or is there too many variables and that's simply the best constant?

I think I'd actually rather see a test of how balls react to miss hits. Which ones are able to minimize swing errors (if that's at all possible)

Srixon Z545 Driver

Cleveland Classic 5 wood

Cleveland Mashie #3 Hybrid

Srixon H45 #4 Hybrid

Srixon Z-565 irons (5-PW)

Cleveland RTX 2.0 wedges (48° & 56°)

Cleveland CBX 60° wedge

Cleveland TFi Cero putter

Srixon Z-Star XV

• 1 month later...

How about refurbished v straight from the box. Lost golf ball and websites similar offer the best economics of premiums however a head to head would really make a statement

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

+1 would love to see this type of study. Most of my balls are refurbished for cost and I have always felt there's no difference whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

• 3 months later...

I am a self professed ball snob! I wont play refurbished or second hand balls and my bag will always be full of one model which currently is the Chrome Soft Truvis. I would be interested in seeing the balls tested and ranked according to their type and price point.

I think this may be a tremendous undertaking but since I'm not doing the work lets see what MGS can come up with!.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic

FW: Callaway GBB Epic

Utility Club: Mizuno Cut Muscle Fli-Hi 21 degree

Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 4-PW

Wedges: Mizuno MB-T5 Black 50-54-58

Putter: Odyssey O-Works # 7 Red

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis

I am a self professed ball snob! I wont play refurbished or second hand balls and my bag will always be full of one model which currently is the Chrome Soft Truvis. I would be interested in seeing the balls tested and ranked according to their type and price point.

I think this may be a tremendous undertaking but since I'm not doing the work lets see what MGS can come up with!.

I knew there was someone else out there like me. Mixing models in the bag or on the course just feels so dirty.

I knew there was someone else out there like me. Mixing models in the bag or on the course just feels so dirty.

Well I exclusively mix and match. If I hit one in the hazard, it's time to try another brand with better luck.

I like having the option of switching up characteristics if I need a different type of ball to match the game I brought to the course that day.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that this is the one test that can "break the wheel"..

If a Snell my tour ball is further and lower spinning off the tee and has a higher spin rate around the green than a ProV1, who continues to buy ProV1?  

not saying that it is.   I don't know, because that data doesn't exist.  not in a public forum, anyways.   

The Ksig vs. Pro V1 data exists- and it did "break the wheel"...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• 1 month later...

I agree with those that say personal ball tests are the way to go. I was a Pro-V-1X guy for years, but this summer I tried the Snell MTB, the Callaway Chrome Soft X, and the TM TP5X. I found the TP5X was the beat overall for my game. I suggest anyone interested in changing balls give this method a try. 

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

Would love to see balls compared, however performance balls to performance, mid level to mid level. We can all tell what balls are marketed for performance vs high handicappers. Although I would love to see how much would a ProV1 would help/hurt someones game over say something like their 2nd tier ball NXT?

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

• 7 months later...

So what is the best way for one to go about choosing a ball make/model that is best suited for ones swing/ball flight?  My swing speed average is 98.  I tend to have high ball flight even with my 8.5 deg driver, and generally fade the ball. Are there any general studies out there (charts) that match balls to players? Thanks.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

So what is the best way for one to go about choosing a ball make/model that is best suited for ones swing/ball flight? My swing speed average is 98. I tend to have high ball flight even with my 8.5 deg driver, and generally fade the ball. Are there any general studies out there (charts) that match balls to players? Thanks.

This should tell you everything you need to know

https://www.snellgolf.com/pages/dean-snell-golf-ball-fitting-philosophy

This should tell you everything you need to know

https://www.snellgolf.com/pages/dean-snell-golf-ball-fitting-philosophy

Thank! I just found another article that suggests, based on my swing speed only (average 98), I should be playing 90 compression, multi-layered, balata cover balls.  Think I'll do an inventory on my mix and see which if any match that. This will be great, haven't had a good science project since retiring from Boeing :) . Still looking for info that matches ball to typical ball flight.  If you know of any, please pass along.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Thank! I just found another article that suggests, based on my swing speed only (average 98), I should be playing 90 compression, multi-layered, balata cover balls. Think I'll do an inventory on my mix and see which if any match that. This will be great, haven't had a good science project since retiring from Boeing :) . Still looking for info that matches ball to typical ball flight. If you know of any, please pass along.

Except nobody makes balata balls anymore

Archived