TESTERS WANTED! ×

2017 "Most Wanted Golf Ball"

I think we can safely narrow the field down to the tour caliber balls and those that claim to be equal. TopFlite, Noodle, etc. make no such claim. We already know that these ball fly farther, just suck around the green.

I believe this test would have more validity than The MOST WANTED BLADE PUTTER, Or any other putter.

As an aside, I found a Vise ball last week and was going to play it and do a mini review. Sadly my review is short.

The Vise Ball does not float.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I don't think that many of us in here can really squeeze out the real differences in between balls of the same ilk. I honestly can't say I can tell much of a difference, and I slap a decent game.

There's good balls

Ok balls

And hard crappy balls

And balls ya find.

I haven't bought a ball in years...

I also play balls that are beat up and scuffed and basically look like dirt clods, and I'll play em game after game.

Who knows, maybe ide shoot better if I played new tp5's or some chromes...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I don't think that many of us in here can really squeeze out the real differences in between balls of the same ilk. I honestly can't say I can tell much of a difference, and I slap a decent game.

There's good balls

Ok balls

And hard crappy balls

And balls ya find.

I haven't bought a ball in years...

I also play balls that are beat up and scuffed and basically look like dirt clods, and I'll play em game after game.

Who knows, maybe ide shoot better if I played new tp5's or some chromes...

Well, if a 2 handicap player like yourself cannot see significant differences, I'm not likely to.  One correction to your list of ball types.  A large percentage of the balls I find are the "good balls" - or at the least, popular.  Also, I'm sort of finicky about playing clean balls.  Dirt increases drag, and drag is a bad thing to a retired aerospace guy.  :)

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I have never bought a new golf ball. I can tell a difference albeit a small difference between "premium balls" but I still play any premium ball I find scuffed, dirty, or in the woods for three years. I don't think at my skill level the difference in performance makes a large difference. Heck, the last round I shot 76 with a slazenger with a huge cart path scuff on it.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I have never bought a new golf ball. Heck, the last round I shot 76 with a slazenger with a huge cart path scuff on it.

Exactly-

My last round was a -2, 69...

I had 3 random balls in my pocket.

Old beat up PV1x

NXT Extreme (?)

TaylorMade “Tour Preferred”

Each tee, I just reach in and the first one I grab is on the launch pad for that hole.

I guess I would be partial to the top 3 if I ever decide to become a ball snob. But it always cracks me up when my playing partners make remarks about my crappy balls, especially when I'm in the midst of beating them.

20B2584B-9042-44DA-87C4-D8C4D8E2FBCF.jpeg

Exactly-

My last round was a -2, 69...

I had 3 random balls in my pocket.

Old beat up PV1x

NXT Extreme (?)

TaylorMade “Tour Preferred”

Each tee, I just reach in and the first one I grab is on the launch pad for that hole.

I guess I would be partial to the top 3 if I ever decide to become a ball snob. But it always cracks me up when my playing partners make remarks about my crappy balls, especially when I'm in the midst of beating them.

20B2584B-9042-44DA-87C4-D8C4D8E2FBCF.jpeg

The 30 handicap that think they can buy DJ's golf game by gaming a tp5x are insane. The only way to get to have a decent golf game is hard work, dedication, and commitment. If you have a good ball striking, chipping, and putting, it doesn't matter what ball or clubs you play.

I don't understand why people can't let others just enjoy the game they want to play - whether it's with a 45/dz golf ball or a ball they find on the woods.

If that is what you want to do, by all means do it. If that is what is enjoyable for you, by all means enjoy it. Enjoy what you are doing. We only play golf to have fun. I am not posting to offend anyone just providing my opinion.

I don't understand why people can't let others just enjoy the game they want to play - whether it's with a 45/dz golf ball or a ball they find on the woods.

Who says they can't?

Have at it and git er done!

I only suggested that not many people can really get everything out of a top notch ball. Kinda like how very few people can ride a Kawasaki 1100 crotch rocket to extract everything it has to offer, I've heard it's something like 5%...

Anyways....

I've really been thinking about going with one specific ball to see if it does make any difference on my scoring...

My problem is I can't decide which ball to go with...

PV1X

Tp5

Chrome

Z-star

Snell

Vice

I've gamed all of these except the snell, and I found that I really liked all of them. So trying to choose one to go with is tough.

Might be best to just get a sleeve of each to see if I can narrow the field down.

I wonder if I can get just a sleeve of vice or snell...? Hmmm

I think we can safely narrow the field down to the tour caliber balls and those that claim to be.

As an aside, I found a Vise ball last week and was going to play it and do a mini review. Sadly my review is short.

The Vise Ball does not float.

Now that's a game changer!

And I was seriously thinking about trying these...

The 30 handicap that think they can buy DJ's golf game by gaming a tp5x are insane. 

What makes me just shake my head are some of the older guys with slow swing speeds all hitting ProV1, and happy if they break 90, who all are hitting their 3rd shot into par 4's with a 8 iron from 70 yards on the bump and run.  I've tried to gently suggest buying the cheapest 2-piece ball they can find, but there is something about playing a Titleist that these guys mentally have to have.

The other one was one of my Dad's friends, who had more money then he could ever spend (a problem I am willing to have by the way, if anyone is ever interested in setting me up for this), and his golf game was a joke.  But yet, every time he showed up to play in the pro shop he'd ask the pro to charge him for a dozen ProV1.  He lost like half of them on the first 3 holes his game was so bad.  But dropping $50 every time you tee it up, just on balls, was like you and me missing a nickel from our loose change pocket in our cars.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Yes, I still don't see that as an argument for separate tests. Let everyone test everything. See how the data plays out. You can group people and balls by any sub set you want later. Don't limit the test to what you think "should" be right, just let the data speak for itself!

This is how I feel about the putter testing too! Put the mallets and blades together and see how it turns out. 

Driver: TS3, 9* (C1 setting, surefit cartridge in fade setting)

3/4 Wood: 917D2, 16.5 degrees (D1 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 19 degrees (C3 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-Iron (23 degrees); Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-iron(26) and 6-iron(30); Mizuno MP-18 7-iron(34), 8-iron(38), 9-iron(42), and P Wedge(46). Nippon Modus 120x shafts. 1 degree upright.

Wedges: Mizuno S-18 50, 54, and 58 degrees. 50 is 1 degree upright, 54 and 58 are standard lie. Nippon Modus 120x, soft stepped in the 54 and 58.

Putter: Evnroll ER1

Right-handed

Atlanta, GA

Who says they can't?

Have at it and git er done!

I only suggested that not many people can really get everything out of a top notch ball. Kinda like how very few people can ride a Kawasaki 1100 crotch rocket to extract everything it has to offer, I've heard it's something like 5%...

Anyways....

I've really been thinking about going with one specific ball to see if it does make any difference on my scoring...

My problem is I can't decide which ball to go with...

PV1X

Tp5

Chrome

Z-star

Snell

Vice

I've gamed all of these except the snell, and I found that I really liked all of them. So trying to choose one to go with is tough.

Might be best to just get a sleeve of each to see if I can narrow the field down.

I wonder if I can get just a sleeve of vice or snell...? Hmmm

If you like them all, let the price decide. You can often find the z-stars at $20/dz which is even cheaper than the snell or vice. 

Driver: TS3, 9* (C1 setting, surefit cartridge in fade setting)

3/4 Wood: 917D2, 16.5 degrees (D1 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 19 degrees (C3 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-Iron (23 degrees); Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-iron(26) and 6-iron(30); Mizuno MP-18 7-iron(34), 8-iron(38), 9-iron(42), and P Wedge(46). Nippon Modus 120x shafts. 1 degree upright.

Wedges: Mizuno S-18 50, 54, and 58 degrees. 50 is 1 degree upright, 54 and 58 are standard lie. Nippon Modus 120x, soft stepped in the 54 and 58.

Putter: Evnroll ER1

Right-handed

Atlanta, GA

What makes me just shake my head are some of the older guys with slow swing speeds all hitting ProV1, and happy if they break 90, who all are hitting their 3rd shot into par 4's with a 8 iron from 70 yards on the bump and run.  I've tried to gently suggest buying the cheapest 2-piece ball they can find, but there is something about playing a Titleist that these guys mentally have to have.

The other one was one of my Dad's friends, who had more money then he could ever spend (a problem I am willing to have by the way, if anyone is ever interested in setting me up for this), and his golf game was a joke.  But yet, every time he showed up to play in the pro shop he'd ask the pro to charge him for a dozen ProV1.  He lost like half of them on the first 3 holes his game was so bad.  But dropping $50 every time you tee it up, just on balls, was like you and me missing a nickel from our loose change pocket in our cars.

The power and influence of great marketing is quite impressive.  As an avid fly fisherman, I am wise to their tricks.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

The power and influence of great marketing is quite impressive. As an avid fly fisherman, I am wise to their tricks.

I think that fact that they are the most expensive plays a part too. It has been ingrained into their heads that the most expensive is the always best. If they just wanted the Titleist name they could play the DT Trusoft.

If you like them all, let the price decide. You can often find the z-stars at $20/dz which is even cheaper than the snell or vice.

Where can you get Z-sfars for $20 ?????

Where can you get Z-sfars for $20 ?????

They were available on the Srixon website for $20/dozen up until Fathers Day.

I got some Q Star Tours......great distance and great feel around the greens.

#CobraCONNECT using the new F8's from Cobra

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Yea- they're gone

Just ordered 2 doz chrome softs, prev version

I think just about everybody would benefit from a urethane covered ball. This talk of cheapest for your swing speed is focusing on distance, and that's really not a selling point for me.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I think just about everybody would benefit from a urethane covered ball. This talk of cheapest for your swing speed is focusing on distance, and that's really not a selling point for me.

I dont know if you are referencing my post above, but my example is a guy in their 70's, who hits his best drive maybe 180 yards (200 if he hits a miracle shot). At those numbers, it honestly won't matter what ball you hit. Combine that with the fact that they hit every shot into a green as a low line drive. At that tragectory, I don't even care if you had a string attached to that ball, you aren't making it spin backwards or stop. Their typical hole was drive to about 175, chunk an approach shot, take 8 iron from 70 yards, and hope to miss the sandtrap as it hits 20 yards short of the green and runs up and through the green. They pitch back on from over the back, and then 3 putt for whatever. These are guys that have no short game, and essentially struggle to break 90 on a good day. But they keep coming back with ProV1s in their bag.

Look, to each his own, and I hope when I am pushing 80 I can still swing a club, but as cheap as I am, if my game deteriorates to the level I describe above, I'm buying the cheapest $10 per dozen ball I can find, because anything more than that is a complete waste of money.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I've used Pro V1's and for me, it's like hitting a stone...it has no distance and take an AWFUL flight path... I swing slow so I use a senior flex driver with Noodle Long and Softs or Cally Supersofts. Since I found that combo I've been really happy... $4 golf balls don't help everyone, for sure.

raymaffit

Greensburg, Pa

Taylormade Burner Superfast HT Driver

Top Flite 5 wood, 3/4 Hybrid

Nike SQ Machspeed 4i-AW

Odyssey DFX 1100

Noodle Long and Soft

How the ball is built is directly related to how the ball performs. Different golfers with different swing types (slow or fast swing speed, hooks/slices tendencies ect..) have different needs from the balls they use.

The correct ball type selection for your swing will help you be more consistent in your shots.

example - if your swing speed is say 70 or 80mph and you slice the ball why would you use a ProV1? Just because it's a "performance ball"? in most cases a ball like that will actually make your problems worse not better as you're getting a lot more spin which will increase your slice.

What people are saying is that it does not matter how the ball is made for a study. The results are the data that are important.

Titleist TS 3 with Fuji Ventus R shaft

Epic Flash 3 & 5 woods

Cally Big Berta 2019 4 hybrid

Cally Apex 2019 5-PW

Cally 48*

Honma TW4 56*

Titleist Volker Raw wedge 60*

Scotty Cameron X5 putter

• 1 month later...

I love the idea. This would be great to see. MGS, a great choice would also be to select 3 groups of balls, the first would be tour level, amateur level and beginners level. The levels would be specific to the ball and what type of golfer would benefit from them. Hope to see something like this!

Archived