TESTERS WANTED! ×

Re-shafting old blades. Worth it?

Brand new to MHS. Seems like an excellent place! I recently found a set of MINT 78' Wilson staff tour blades. Had to have them. They are just so damn pretty. At $3 a club I couldn't pass them up. My question is I feel like this is a license to upgrade as I had a decent chunk of cash saved for some new irons. Should I re-shaft these with more modern steel or play them as is? I'm at least going to re grip them but really wonder if new shafts would be a good idea. There is no rattle or anything particularly wrong with them as they are. Just curious. Thanks for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

If you're looking to get the best possible performance out of those blades, sure! If you just want to rock an awesome, vintage bag, keep the originals in there.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

That sounds like my kind of project. Those are sweet clubs.

Before doing anything, I'd try them out as is. You never know, you might like the original shafts. Maybe find some cheap grips on eBay and just regrip the 5, 8, and wedge, see how they work.

If you want to restomod them, that's cool too. I'd suggest maybe find some shaft pulls of a modern shaft that you like. You could get them pretty affordably so as not to dump a bunch of money in old clubs. My gamers are early 90's Macgregor CB-92 forged heads mated to KBS C Taper Lite shafts and they play sweet.

Oh, and we need some pics!

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I'd say unless the stock shafts might work, reshaft them!  I've woken up many classic sets with X-100 of X7 shafts and the well designed musclebacks will perform as well as anything on the market today.  My 1986 Tommy Armour 986 Tours are as soft and accurate as any modern blade, albeit with a sharper leading edge.  

Tour Issue Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 9° / Graphite Design P9003 TX  OR  Tour Issue Taylormade M1 430 9.5° / Graphite Design P9003 TX                        

Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX                    Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Project X T1100 95g 6.5

Tour Issue Titleist 915Hd 17.5° / Graphite Design DI-105 X                                Tour Issue Callaway BB Alpha 815 18° / Graphite Design DI-105 X

Scratch AR-1 v2 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                                        Raw Bridgestone J15CB 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7

Scratch FIT 54°DS and 60°DS / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                            Bettinardi H2 Forged 54° and 60° / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7        

Rotating 8802 style putters

If you want to game them, then go get fit and see what works.  

If it's just a fun set to pull out every once in a while then just play as is.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

If memory serves, the shaft in the 70"s models is a smaller diameter than is available currently.

You will have to ream the hosels to "upgrade" the clubs. Sounds like a great project

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Archived