TESTERS WANTED! ×

Equipment brands you don't get along with

chershey

Cobra drivers. I've tried to like them but but they just don't do it for me.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's get a 2 iron in the 790 then we will be doing something hahahaha

In the right hands that might be lethal.  But not for this old timer  :D

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

In the right hands that might be lethal. But not for this old timer :D[/quotmake a good cane if you can't use it for what it's intended for.

LOL..True Dat!!   

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Reading some of these responses reminds me of a junior from my home club.  He is a college graduate working in the Charlotte area now so this has been a few years ago.

We had an old Staff FG17 2-iron in the used bin in the clubhouse.  Every once in a great while, someone would take it out and try to hit it.  Over time, the club developed a reputation of it's own around town and we named the club "God" after the old Travino line.  Nobody could hit this thing.  It was like swinging a tree trunk with a butter knife attached to the end.

Long story short, this 15 year old kid came into the clubhouse one day asking the head pro for help finding a "driving iron" to use the upcoming weekend.  He was playing in a big junior tournament attracting some top talent from around the country.  The fairways were tight, he had plenty of length and felt he could tee off with an iron and not get himself into trouble by using driver off the tee so much.  As a joke, the pro sent him to the range with "God".  After an hour, the kid came back and said "awesome, thanks".

He went on to win that event and several others using "God".  Both a regional newspaper and the state golf association magazine even did a feature on the club and the kids use of it.  

Callaway and Taylor Made. Perhaps it's from my days as an Apprentice working to manage shop inventory. Their reps continually offering net downs to offset the "new gear" we just purchased two months earlier that was being replaced. Truth being told, callaway irons just don't suit my eye with the grooves and Taylor Made does not seem to resemble quality in manufacturing. Just my opinion based upon my personal experience.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Ping Drivers and Titliest irons. Was given a G10 that I fitted out and loved just before the back went. It was work to get it working but even then in the early Srixon ball days it was 275+ straight.

Today there are so many bad clubs off the shelf and the 1200 price doesnt make most them any better in a lot of cases while they are better finished and fitted out. A 5 iron that is now a half inch longer 6 iron tells the tale.

Some of the mizuno clubs I have had were the best to hit and play along with the Hogans of Bens era. If i were to go buy a "new" set Callaway would get a look too as X's of 13 or so are a gem.

Today its crap shoot as eye appeal sells as much as anything for most. TM and their offerings are, as has been said, a cut above the old full set in the box all to often. Rickie selling Cobra has pulled out alot of parents credit cards lately for set of the same old same old...

Ping irons. Just don't fit my eye. Their drivers are also different sounding. Never tried Cobra or Wilson, but will be taking a look when my irons "need" to be replaced. Wasn't a fan of Mack Daddys or Vokeys from a few years ago. Didn't like the rounded bottom of the face look. MD toe is waaaay too big as well

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Project X shafts. They hate me.

Agreed! They spin like crazy for me. Although I do like the feel and numbers I do get with the new LZ.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Ping irons. Just don't fit my eye. Their drivers are also different sounding. Never tried Cobra or Wilson, but will be taking a look when my irons "need" to be replaced. Wasn't a fan of Mack Daddys or Vokeys from a few years ago. Didn't like the rounded bottom of the face look. MD toe is waaaay too big as well

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't test Wilson Staff irons. Great lineup (if slightly disjointed) from top to bottom. The FG Tour driver is pretty good, too. Low spinning and didn't want to hook on me at all...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Cleveland wedges...full shots no matter the shaft and bounce combo always balloons with zero spin. Every other major OEM wedge suits my game just fine.

F9 Tensei Pro Orange 70TX

Taylormade Tour M2 15* / Kuro Kage 80 TX

790 UDI Tensei White 100TX

Apex Pro 19 4-PW DG X7

Vokey SM7 Raw 50* 54* 

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60* S400

Taylormade Spider Tour (Red)

You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't test Wilson Staff irons. Great lineup (if slightly disjointed) from top to bottom. The FG Tour driver is pretty good, too. Low spinning and didn't want to hook on me at all...

The only Wilson driver I've tried recently was the Triton. Decent enough, but for a duck hooker like me and having the face look as closed as it does at address, it wasn't something I liked looking at

PING never seems to work for me. They make a lot of clubs that interest me but for whatever reason they are never the best fit, even going back to their putters in the 90s when they were THE thing to bag.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

• 2 months later...

For the love of Pete, Taylormade drivers and I don't mesh. I have tried and tried to get along with them because of their looks, but to no avail. I have given up on it. Oh well. I'm more than happy with my Titleist drivers.

PING never seems to work for me. They make a lot of clubs that interest me but for whatever reason they are never the best fit, even going back to their putters in the 90s when they were THE thing to bag.

A trip to the fitter punched some holes in this one as I now have a G400 driver on order and a G30 hybrid in the bag. But I tried the irons again with multiple different shafts and they still felt hard as a rock. i200s look pretty good but they definitely didn't work for me.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Starting to think cobra gear doesn't like me all that much, other than that I'm ok for the most part.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Scratch irons. Been fit for 5 sets. All with different shafts and grinds. Get zero results. But there wedges are unmatched will not play another wedge as long as I can find them. Terrible they went out of business. But there irons have never worked for me. So said.

Even though they are not around in a current retail sense, I could not get down with Nike drivers. I don't remember the model, but the sound off the face of that club was like a gun shot going off at the range. Lol.

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

PXG's, my wallet severely disagrees with the entire line... 😂🤣😂

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Even though they are not around in a current retail sense, I could not get down with Nike drivers. I don't remember the model, but the sound off the face of that club was like a gun shot going off at the range. Lol.

Nike Covert? I gamed that one for a number of years. Loud and long.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I agree about the irons being hard to look at, but I've hit the old eye-2 recently and the results are still there. Even at 30 years old the ball still goes.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Cobra golf... Back in about 1992 there was a set of their irons that I really wanted, but never bought. To this day I've never gamed any Cobra club. They've never outperformed something else at demo days or fittings.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I agree about the irons being hard to look at, but I've hit the old eye-2 recently and the results are still there. Even at 30 years old the ball still goes.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've told myself that no matter how they look when I get fit for new irons the next couple years, I will buy based on what performs best. If that means I've got the biggest, ugliest PINGs out there then so be it.

Archived