TESTERS WANTED! ×

Do you keep track of your score while playing?

TheWahoo

I use The Grint on my phone. Easily and quickly tracks score, GIR, FIR, putts etc. also free handicap and gps (don't use gps tho)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

While it is probably not a good idea, but I can't help myself from keeping track of how I am doing.  My current goal at the start of any round is to break 90.  So I keep track by assigning 5 to each hole.  So if I score a 6 on a hole, it means I will need at least 2 fours to break 90 with all the others being 5.   That's why I like Par 3's, because if I par it, it gives me some breathing room to score a 6 and perhaps offset some Par 5 holes.   

The good news is that if I get several 4s and perhaps par a 3 early in the round, I relax a bit and it seems to help me continue to play better.   But its the opposite if I score some 6s early, I start to press and things continue down hill.  

I know that golf should be like poker-count em when the playing is done-, but I just can't stop keeping an eye on how I am doing in the effort to break 90.

For mid cappers, I like the idea of assigning 5 to each hole with the goal of beating bogey golf. I, too, find that if I start off poorly that it becomes hard for me to recover... sometimes 3 holes, sometimes the whole front 9!

I put too much mental pressure on myself. A coach once told me that I need to lower my expectations in order to enjoy the game more.

Sounds counter-productive, but I think there is some value to that advice. It's about knowing your game, playing within yourself, and making incremental improvements over time.

--WITB--

Ping i15 Driver 9.5° Stiff

Ping i25 Fairway 15° Stiff

Kasco k2k 44 Utility 19° Stiff

Kasco k2k 55 Utility 22° Stiff

Miura CB-501 Irons 5-9 KBS Tour Stiff

Scratch 8620 d/d grind PW 47°

Scratch 8620 d/d grind GW 53°

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 SW 58° 2 dot

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 LW 60° 1 dot

Never Compromise Putter Sub 30 Type-50

Snell MTB

For mid cappers, I like the idea of assigning 5 to each hole with the goal of beating bogey golf. I, too, find that if I start off poorly that it becomes hard for me to recover... sometimes 3 holes, sometimes the whole front 9!

I put too much mental pressure on myself. A coach once told me that I need to lower my expectations in order to enjoy the game more.

Sounds counter-productive, but I think there is some value to that advice. It's about knowing your game, playing within yourself, and making incremental improvements over time.

It's taken a long time for me to realize (just started at the end of last season) but it is a very slow process to get better

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I add my scores up after each nine. Now if the double bogey monster rears his ugly head, I'm conscience of that. Plus if I'm up a leg or two when we're playing rabbit, my partners like to remind me of where we stand. It's called putting the squeeze on ya

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I'll write down my score for each hole, but I don't keep a running total in my head. Last time my buddy and I played, he kept a running total in his head and it just seemed to eat him up the entire round after a rough start. He played in college so he expects more from himself, but he's been out of college for a few years now.

I'm usually the one trying to encourage my buddies to relax and try to have fun with it. Either one of them is throwing their clubs out of frustration or just complaining about their play. And then I'm just over there like "did you guys see that s&@$k??" as I laugh it off. The usual group of golfers I'd say.

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

I keep scores and stats in the swing by swing app.

I only look at the total at the turn and end of the round.

Every time I check scores on the 18th tee, I blow the hole up and hate myself...

I always have an idea of where I am related to par but I try not to dwell on it. I know it's something you hear everywhere but I try to keep focused on the shot at hand and let the score take care of itself.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I keep a scorecard usually for the cart 2 or 4some. I also keep a running score relative to par in my head. I have tried not to do that but my brain is just wired that way.

Yeah that

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Most of the time. Unless I'm playing a scramble or other team game. I like to keep my handicap as accurate as possible

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

I do pretty much every time I play unless it is a team event. I like to know where I stand during a round. If I start to get too mad or something I stop keeping track. But most of the time I am way too competitive to not be keeping score.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I normally keep scores using the Strokes app. I've mentioned this app many times in the Forum. The reason I use this app is because it's main function is for the gambling/betting/games. That's really what Strokes is all about. So, if you and your group like playing games such as skins, Nassau, 4 ball, wolf, 6's, stableford, points, low net, and many others then you should take a look at Strokes. Unfortunately it's for Android only. (No I don't own it or have any financial interest in it.)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.strokes&hl=en

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

While it is probably not a good idea, but I can't help myself from keeping track of how I am doing. My current goal at the start of any round is to break 90. So I keep track by assigning 5 to each hole. So if I score a 6 on a hole, it means I will need at least 2 fours to break 90 with all the others being 5. That's why I like Par 3's, because if I par it, it gives me some breathing room to score a 6 and perhaps offset some Par 5 holes.

The good news is that if I get several 4s and perhaps par a 3 early in the round, I relax a bit and it seems to help me continue to play better. But its the opposite if I score some 6s early, I start to press and things continue down hill.

I know that golf should be like poker-count em when the playing is done-, but I just can't stop keeping an eye on how I am doing in the effort to break 90.

If you want to break 90, keep your stat manually can be distracting.

I suggested this tips for my friends who recently broke 90.

Play from the white or forward tees, ok if hitting from the red tee makes you feels like you are not getting your money's worth, play from the white.

Hit the fairway: may be not with driver but hit it with whatever clubs may be even a 7i. Take recovery shots and lost balls out of play.

Hit to the back center of every greens: it's impossible for 90s shooters who usually short of end up in the front on most greens. You'd ended up tense on most approach shots and if you are 10-20 yards short of the back you'd still be on the green.

Practice 4-5 footers: if you can make 80% of those you put less pressure on everything else. Learn to putt from off the greens(Texas wedge) as often as possible, remember bad putts are better than bad chips.

You don't need long straight drives, specialty shots, or high spinning shots to break 90. As long as you can advance the ball staight forward from tee to green you'd be surprised how easy it is to break 90. It's not about ego, it's about lower scores.

Harvey Penick said learn to hit simple shots and you don't have to hit many fancy ones.

What I just said are no trade secret, every low handicaps knows that some went through more painful experiences than others, your choice red pill or blue pill:)

Our men's group here has 90 guys who sign up for 2 days a week. We generally have 30-40 guys each Tuesday and Thursday. We play a modified Stableford game where a par is equal to 2 points, etc. You subtract your course handicap from 36 and that number is the points you need to make. All that to state for our guys here you have to record your score on each hole thus each and everyone is maintaining a recordable score that gets entered into the GHIN system. We have a very active handicap committee that monitors our club members so there is no sandbagging. I will state upfront that our club here and the guys I play with adhere to USGA rules and there is no foot wedge shenanigans going on as there is always money on the line so there is a lot of peer pressure to insure someone is not cheating.

I have played with groups in the past where guys had no clue what a white OB stake was and would pick up a ball from someone's yard and drop it just about anywhere. Then they would guessitmate their score, win the money and never record said score into GHIN. Rinse and repeat the next round. Does not take a genius to figure out this was no fun so I avoided these type players or groups.

I personally think if you are going to play this great game you should be playing by the rules, recording accurate scores and be honest not only with your fellow competitors but with yourself.

OK I am off my high horse.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB - :taylormade-small:

Driver - TaylorMade M2 - Stiff flex / 12.5*

3 & 7 Wood - TaylorMade M2

6i -Gap - TaylorMade M4- Stiff flex

Wedges - TaylorMade ATV 55* & 60*

Putter - Odyssey 2 Ball

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Right Handed Neutral lie on all clubs

I used to not keep track of my score total during a round.  If I was doing well, I didn't want the added pressure.  If I had a couple bad holes, I tended to chase strokes (and that never ends well).

We got new carts at the club (with GPS/scoring screens) and it's significantly harder to just ignore it.  Either being desensitized by having it your face all the time, or just getting serious about a pre-shot routine (my best guess) has pretty much taken all the anxiety regarding real-time totals for me. 

Driver: Titleist 917 10.5*
3 Wood: Titliest 917
Hybrid: Titleist 818

Irons: Mizuno JPX 850 Forged w/ True Temper XP 115

Wedges: Volkey SM5 M Grind 54° & 58°; 8° bounce

Putter: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Notchback

Grips: Golf Pride MCCPlus4 midsized

Preferred ball: Bridgestone Tour B-RX, ProV 1X

Archived