TESTERS WANTED! ×

Pace of play....is "slower" that big of a deal?

mrsmith123

I've played with some low handicap golfers when I have long hit my second shot on a par 5 while they wait for the green to clear because they think they might just be able to get on in two.

On this I give everyone a break. Because I've done it or seen it done. Wait for green /fairway clears & hit WAY too short or the opposite which is the WORST case. Thinkin its find to hit & then hit into the group ahead. Seems Murphys law always plays out on this. One time in league... I guess wind, ground conditions and a career swing I hit a 275+ 5W that rolled up into guys.. Never felt SO bad. (normally hit it like 225 the longest)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm probably repeating myself and I apologize if I am. I don't consider myself a slow player, but it appears that I am much slower than a lot of you. Like y'all, I hate slow play; I get frustrated when the course is full and the rounds take 5 hours. My wife and I can play in a cart when no one is in front of us in under 3.5 hours. We could play faster, but that ruins the round for me. I feel rushed. I can walk the course with one other person in under 4 hours. Again, I could be quicker, but I don't enjoy it. Unfortunately, none of these times happen very often because we wait on people. Typical rounds take 4-5 hours.

For those of you that are fortunate to play fast and enjoy it, I applaud you. However, I believe that confines you to your course where that is the norm. You must not travel much. Yes, I am frustrated when play is slow, but I believe that it prepares me for playing courses when we travel. This past few weeks in Palm Springs our group waited on nearly every shot on every course we played.

I can play a classic walking course in 3:30 with the right group, but when I'm playing a course routed through a housing development, I don't expect any such thing. I'll chill out and enjoy the ride. What does bug me in those situations are the guys that won't play ready golf. 4.5 hours can be OK if you're not constantly waiting on other people.

The worst thing I experienced was my dad's member-guest when they played combined score instead of better ball. 3 hours for a nine hole match. Putting out for 8s and 9s because you're never out of a hole. Agony.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On this I give everyone a break. Because I've done it or seen it done. Wait for green /fairway clears & hit WAY too short or the opposite which is the WORST case. Thinkin its find to hit & then hit into the group ahead. Seems Murphys law always plays out on this. One time in league... I guess wind, ground conditions and a career swing I hit a 275+ 5W that rolled up into guys.. Never felt SO bad. (normally hit it like 225 the longest)

... I never mind a ball rolling on the green from a career shot behind me. Or just a great shot behind me. But if it is bouncing and coming in hot that is a completely different situation and of course flying one into a group is insane.

... I was playing a new course before range finders and the disc said 275 and I have no club for that unless I put a tee in the ground and use my driver. Two women were on the green and I hit a perfect 4 wood figuring I would have a 20-30 yd pitch, but it hit about 25 yds short, bounced a couple times and rolled a few feet past them. They stopped and looked back, then putted out and got in the cart and headed right at us. I was ready with an "I am so sorry..." and when they asked who hit that shot, I started to say just that before they enthusiastically said "Great Shot!" We play here all he time and never saw anyone hit this green in two. I was kinda in shock as they smiled and waived as hey are driving away. I realized it was a slight dogleg and the shot cut a little off resulting in the ball rolling on the green. I have played behind guys on an unfamiliar course where I have run the ball near or on the fringe and they really got pi$$ed off even though it never even reached them, so ya never know.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... I never mind a ball rolling on the green from a career shot behind me. Or just a great shot behind me. But if it is bouncing and coming in hot that is a completely different situation and of course flying one into a group is insane.

... I was playing a new course before range finders and the disc said 275 and I have no club for that unless I put a tee in the ground and use my driver. Two women were on the green and I hit a perfect 4 wood figuring I would have a 20-30 yd pitch, but it hit about 25 yds short, bounced a couple times and rolled right past them. They stopped and looked back, then putted out and got in the cart and headed right at us. I was ready with an "I am so sorry..." and when they asked who hit that shot, I started to say just that before they enthusiastically said "Great Shot!" We play here all he time and never saw anyone hit this green in two. I was kinda in shock as they smiled and waived as hey are driving away. I realized it was a slight dogleg and the shot cut a little off resulting in the ball rolling on the green. I have played behind guys on an unfamiliar course where I have run the ball near or on the fringe and they really got pi$$ed off even though it never even reached them, so ya never know.

If a ball rolls by me, I take it in stride and congratulate whoever hit the shot. The ball can hit hard pan or a down slope or something else that they didn't know about from 250+ yards away. If it gets there in the air, then it's a different story.

Years ago, I played with one of the best juniors in the state in a practice round for a tournament. On one hole, he asked how far up the group in front of us was, and knowing the tree they were near, they were around 300 from the tee. He figured he was OK to hit, and he roasted one. He rolled it up to within a few feet of the group ahead after hitting a downslope. They felt like they needed to wait to give him a hard time. They started in on him, and I asked them, "Have any of you ever hit a tee shot here? No, then enjoy what you just saw. I know I did."

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I don't enjoy waiting behind people that think because they booked a tee time they get to determine the pace of play for everyone behind them. Pace of play is what's hurting Golf. People want to be able to enjoy something in a reasonable amount of time. If it's taking you more than 4 hours in a foursome without anyone holding you up, you're slow and inconsiderate of golfers behind you that also paid to play the course the same as you did. I can enjoy my time just as much playing in 3:15 minutes in a foursome as someone that can that holds the whole course up and makes a whole lot of golfers mad by taking 4 hours and 15 minutes or more. Carts are a large part of the problem too because most people don't know how to manage cart golf. Rarely do you see golfers walking ahead while heir cart partner hits. Give me 4 golfers walking that know what they're doing and you take a fourSome with 2 carts and I'll finish 2 holes ahead of you at the least. Walking off all 4 sides of the putt takes too long as well and it's inconsiderate to golfers waiting behind you to act like you're a pga pro. You're not and you're not playing for millions. Take an aimpoint class so you can read the putt in seconds not 5 minutes. There's people behind you waiting on you to get out of the way. Or just don't book a prime weekend time slot please.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I don't enjoy waiting behind people that think because they booked a tee time they get to determine the pace of play for everyone behind them. Pace of play is what's hurting Golf. People want to be able to enjoy something in a reasonable amount of time. If it's taking you more than 4 hours in a foursome without anyone holding you up, you're slow and inconsiderate of golfers behind you that also paid to play the course the same as you did. I can enjoy my time just as much playing in 3:15 minutes in a foursome as someone that can that holds the whole course up and makes a whole lot of golfers mad by taking 4 hours and 15 minutes or more. Carts are a large part of the problem too because most people don't know how to manage cart golf. Rarely do you see golfers walking ahead while heir cart partner hits. Give me 4 golfers walking that know what they're doing and you take a fourSome with 2 carts and I'll finish 2 holes ahead of you at the least. Walking off all 4 sides of the putt takes too long as well and it's inconsiderate to golfers waiting behind you to act like you're a pga pro. You're not and you're not playing for millions. Take an aimpoint class so you can read the putt in seconds not 5 minutes. There's people behind you waiting on you to get out of the way. Or just don't book a prime weekend time slot please.

Yeah! And reading 4 sides of a putt is .. at least .. one too many, anyway. IMHO (and from what I've read and learned) there's no utility and no new information to be gained by looking "down" from the high side.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Yeah! And reading 4 sides of a putt is .. at least .. one too many, anyway. IMHO (and from what I've read and learned) there's no utility and no new information to be gained by looking "down" from the high side.

But they saw a guy on tv do it.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Rory made a GREAT point on the Dan Patrick Show. Dan asked him if there's anyone, specifically, Rory doesn't like to get paired with. Rory wouldn't mention names, but he did say “slow players”. He made an excellent point, “When we get stuck with someone who plays slowly, WE have to adjust and change the way we play, but a slow player NEVER has to change their game and speed-up, so it's always their advantage.”

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Rory made a GREAT point on the Dan Patrick Show. Dan asked him if there's anyone, specifically, Rory doesn't like to get paired with. Rory wouldn't mention names, but he did say “slow players”. He made an excellent point, “When we get stuck with someone who plays slowly, WE have to adjust and change the way we play, but a slow player NEVER has to change their game and speed-up, so it's always their advantage.”

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I don't know whether that's being oblivious, inconsiderate or just being an a**hole, but these guys need to be penalized.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I've noticed that a lot of the slow play at our course is 2 things. The most obvious is it's a hard course with lots and lots of woods both left and right. There is 1 hole without bunkers. The second is less obvious, but really slows down the pace, and that is talking too much. I think it's jist guys out there having a good time, but talking way too much, between shots, in the cart (instead of getting ready to hit the next shot), talking instead of hitting when it's you turn. Talking in general can really slow things down.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Yup, and riding one cart to both balls instead of one walking ahead to get a little more conversation and a little less prep for golf.

In The Bag

An interesting development for me today... My wife and I told the twosome we were paired with that we were going to pick up and play ahead of them.  We have done this is the past when we have been paired with very poor players.  It's not something I like to do, but sometimes it's better if we leave people that are new to golf alone to work out their game on their own.  I feel that we sometimes intimidate them.  

However, today was the first time that I have actually done that with two players that were clearly better players than we are; I guessed they were low single digits.  The first hole was OK; we all parred, but both of the other players took a very long time to putt; not reading the putt, just putting!!  I teed off first on both hole #1 and #2, but it took both guys a couple of minutes to "get ready" to tee off on #2.  The same thing happened on #3; one guy had a bad hole and he and his buddy were looking for his ball around the green.  I would normally go ahead and putt out, but the other guy's ball was right on my line and I don't mark other people's ball.  By the time we finished hole #3, there were two groups behind us.  Again, they took a long time to setup and putt out.  I was the first to get to the par 3 #4, so I teed off, even though I didn't have honors.  I waited by our cart while they were standing around talking about what club to hit; they hadn't even pulled a club, and I told them the yardage.  The #4 tee is the highest point on the course, and I can see groups stacking up behind us and the next hole is empty, a par 5.

This was not the kind of day I wanted, so I told my wife that we were going to pick up and play on ahead.  Shook hands, said good bye, but it really ruined my day.  I have a hard time letting go.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

... Musta been a full golf moon yesterday. Similar thing happened to me. Been playing everyday in Orlando and paired up with people, some fast some a little slow but a guy yesterday from NJ was just brutal. He was a little slow but OK thru 9 but blew up on 10. Hit it in the woods and looked forever while we hit our second shots, I was on the green and another single from Boston was short and ready to chip. NJ guy finally gave up and dropped only to hit into the woods again AFTER 4 practice swings and standing over the ball a good 30 seconds before pulling the trigger and after another drop, he hits into the water. Every horrible shot he hits, he takes longer on the next shot. By now there are 2 groups behind us on the tee and he is still going thru an agonizingly slow routine hitting 6 from the lake and barely makes it over. By now the guy from Boston is livid that he hasn't piked up and chips and putts out. I putt out and we wait for the NJ guy to finish the hole taking a 12 with 2 group in the fairway and 2 on the tee.

... We tee off the next hole and when he dumps one in the woods off the tee, so the Boston guy and I decide to play ahead and go to the next hole. We hit our approach shots and I am on the green and he hit into a front bunker. Frustrated with the NJ "icing him on purpose" because NYC guys don't like guys from Boston LOL, he goes from front bunker to back bunker and before we can finish the hole two groups behind us leapfrog to the next hole so were are stuck. Couldn't blame them. So even taking a long time again on 11 we had to wait on the tee. Had we just picked up and moved on we could have gotten ahead. 

... I have never seen a player slow down the worse they played. I have seen plenty get frustrated and start rushing or pick up but none that actually added practice swings and slowed down their routine resulting in worse play. He had a few pars on the front and mostly bogies but no doubles until 10 and after that he was carding double/triple or higher scores on every hole. It was my last day in Orlando before driving back to Chicago and we finished in the dark after staring at 1pm so a little over 5:15 minutes and we played the front in 2:10 minutes so the back 9 took 3:05 minutes. 

Why do people feel the need to have to finish the hole, we're most likely not playing for tons of money, and even if you were, does carding anywhere from 8-12 going determine that you win or lose, if you card a couple 8's and some others, you aren't going to win anyway. My thought is as a group, you have to tell the guy to pick it up, write down whatever score he wants, but as a group (4 some) you are responsible for helping everyone keep pace. If the guys hits 2 or 3 into the woods, then another into the water, his hole is over, he doesn't get to finish out the hole. Pick and move on. If he won't pick it up, you leave him.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Why do people feel the need to have to finish the hole, we're most likely not playing for tons of money, and even if you were, does carding anywhere from 8-12 going determine that you win or lose, if you card a couple 8's and some others, you aren't going to win anyway. My thought is as a group, you have to tell the guy to pick it up, write down whatever score he wants, but as a group (4 some) you are responsible for helping everyone keep pace. If the guys hits 2 or 3 into the woods, then another into the water, his hole is over, he doesn't get to finish out the hole. Pick and move on. If he won't pick it up, you leave him.

... Yup, many I play with use a double hole score as a worst case scenario. 6 on a 3, 8 on a 4 and 10 on a 5. Carding a 12 on a par 4 when you are gone shoot 100 or worse anyway is just selfish, unless the course is empty and your playing cards don't care. 

Yup, and riding one cart to both balls instead of one walking ahead to get a little more conversation and a little less prep for golf.

Oh that's another thing that has the potential to make me .. errr ummm "someone" ;-) .. go postal...... A lot of driving around side to side and back and forth - with no golf being played......

I've seen people drive - together - through the woods separating fairways and then back clear across to the other side of "our" fairway and still no golf being played.... Have seen people drive *far* up to the green and then all the way BACK down the fairway to their ball .. and still no golf being played...

There have to be a better alternatives made available to 2 people in a cart .. if it's those single Rider carts, or any of those other goofy golfboards or golfbikes or whatever else is coming out.

(whew .. sorry .. maybe this post goes in the "Rant" thread!)

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Oh that's another thing that has the potential to make me .. errr ummm "someone" ;-) .. go postal...... A lot of driving around side to side and back and forth - with no golf being played......

I've seen people drive - together - through the woods separating fairways and then back clear across to the other side of "our" fairway and still no golf being played.... Have seen people drive *far* up to the green and then all the way BACK down the fairway to their ball .. and still no golf being played...

There have to be a better alternatives made available to 2 people in a cart .. if it's those single Rider carts, or any of those other goofy golfboards or golfbikes or whatever else is coming out.

(whew .. sorry .. maybe this post goes in the "Rant" thread!)

The walking version of this is when the group in front of you play like sheep. They all go to one ball, watch that shot all move to the next ball and so on. Then one of them hits one in the pond and they all spend 5 minutes fishing for balls. More yakking than golf. Drives me nuts.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

An interesting development for me today... My wife and I told the twosome we were paired with that we were going to pick up and play ahead of them. We have done this is the past when we have been paired with very poor players. It's not something I like to do, but sometimes it's better if we leave people that are new to golf alone to work out their game on their own. I feel that we sometimes intimidate them.

However, today was the first time that I have actually done that with two players that were clearly better players than we are; I guessed they were low single digits. The first hole was OK; we all parred, but both of the other players took a very long time to putt; not reading the putt, just putting!! I teed off first on both hole #1 and #2, but it took both guys a couple of minutes to "get ready" to tee off on #2. The same thing happened on #3; one guy had a bad hole and he and his buddy were looking for his ball around the green. I would normally go ahead and putt out, but the other guy's ball was right on my line and I don't mark other people's ball. By the time we finished hole #3, there were two groups behind us. Again, they took a long time to setup and putt out. I was the first to get to the par 3 #4, so I teed off, even though I didn't have honors. I waited by our cart while they were standing around talking about what club to hit; they hadn't even pulled a club, and I told them the yardage. The #4 tee is the highest point on the course, and I can see groups stacking up behind us and the next hole is empty, a par 5.

This was not the kind of day I wanted, so I told my wife that we were going to pick up and play on ahead. Shook hands, said good bye, but it really ruined my day. I have a hard time letting go.

We all .. well it seems most of us here on this forum, anyway .. want to be polite, and maybe even help out a new or struggling golfer. But if there's an opening ahead then at some point ya gotta cut and run. It's your game, and your day, too! Just maintain civility, that's all I think is required.

If there's a point of golf ettiquite that says you're supposed to all stay together as a foursome through the whole round, I'm unfamiliar with it, and would not be .. and have not been .. insulted when a faster group has asked to play through ours.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

An interesting development for me today... My wife and I told the twosome we were paired with that we were going to pick up and play ahead of them. We have done this is the past when we have been paired with very poor players. It's not something I like to do, but sometimes it's better if we leave people that are new to golf alone to work out their game on their own. I feel that we sometimes intimidate them.

However, today was the first time that I have actually done that with two players that were clearly better players than we are; I guessed they were low single digits. The first hole was OK; we all parred, but both of the other players took a very long time to putt; not reading the putt, just putting!! I teed off first on both hole #1 and #2, but it took both guys a couple of minutes to "get ready" to tee off on #2. The same thing happened on #3; one guy had a bad hole and he and his buddy were looking for his ball around the green. I would normally go ahead and putt out, but the other guy's ball was right on my line and I don't mark other people's ball. By the time we finished hole #3, there were two groups behind us. Again, they took a long time to setup and putt out. I was the first to get to the par 3 #4, so I teed off, even though I didn't have honors. I waited by our cart while they were standing around talking about what club to hit; they hadn't even pulled a club, and I told them the yardage. The #4 tee is the highest point on the course, and I can see groups stacking up behind us and the next hole is empty, a par 5.

This was not the kind of day I wanted, so I told my wife that we were going to pick up and play on ahead. Shook hands, said good bye, but it really ruined my day. I have a hard time letting go.

That's a tough but right call. Slow play especially within a foursome really throws off your momentum. Hopefully there were no hard feelings on their part

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel