TESTERS WANTED! ×

Short Drivers

Shankster

Why are they selling high handicap players clubs with 45+" shafts while the pro's seem to be trending the other direction. Notable recents, Rickie, Jimmy, and I just read Hughes cut his down.

They are handicapping us from the manufacturer. Yes, I know go get fit. But it seems they should sell 43"-44" drivers as a standard, and go from there.

- Alan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's very simple.

Accuracy doesn't sell.  Length does.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

It's very simple.

Accuracy doesn't sell. Length does.

Yup and your average golfer will likely buy the driver he had that one shot he had go really long with rather than the driver he was shorter with yet more consistent

If only accuracy and precision were considered sexy off the tee

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

If any of you have old wood drivers like the 3 I own go measure them. Mine are all 43".

It's very simple.

Accuracy doesn't sell.  Length does.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

The longer shaft length makes your swing arc longer which supposedly means more club head speed is generated equaling longer distances.  Problem is the longer shaft for amateurs means a greater chance to miss the center of the club face which is where you get the most distance generated on strikes.  I have an R15 at the standard shaft length which is 45.5".  At that length I've been very hit or miss with it.  I'm thinking on my next driver (yes I know I can just get the shaft cut down but it gives me an excuse to get a new driver :)) I'm going to have it play closer to 44" or 44.5" to give me a better chance of hitting the center of the face.  I think it's also affecting my swing as I'm compensating for the length which has my swing going flatter (causing me to hook the driver).

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I wouldn't limit this discussion to just drivers either, as the majority of us could benefit from shorter shafts on all of the woods. I recently picked up a Cobra F6 Baffler, and while I'm sure the shorter shaft length isn't the only reason I hit this significantly better than prior 5 woods, I'm pretty confident it's the biggest contributor.

I remember many years ago, I had a rather long driver called the "Killer Bee".   Of all the drivers I've had over the years, it was the one I used for the briefest period.  I gave it to a buddy, who then ended giving it to a buddy.  

I remember many years ago, I had a rather long driver called the "Killer Bee".   Of all the drivers I've had over the years, it was the one I used for the briefest period.  I gave it to a buddy, who then ended giving it to a buddy.  

I knew a guy that had the Killer Bee.  He absolutely crushed it.  Longest of all the old guys I played with when I first started playing.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm playing a TM SLDR with a Fubuki K shaft that is only tipped 1/2", so my driver is playing @ 47"

I feel I'm short changing myself cause the 1/2 I cut off.. Hehe (reg flex, trying to get a lil tip stiffness)

If any of you have old wood drivers like the 3 I own go measure them. Mine are all 43".

You are correct most of mine are 43". Back in the day I did hit a 46" persimmon steel shafted driver. In fact about a year or so ago I went back to 43" on the modern graphite / big headed metal ones too. I am not but maybe 5 yards shorter than with a longer one but can hit it more consistant and accurate with the shorter shaft

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

That head was made by Intregra. We were a dealer for them I had one jacked up to 48" for test and demo purposes. I did play it in a couple of scrambles generally I could not keep it in 2 fairways. Combination of that long shaft and a hot face. Of course that was 12 years ago and I had pretty good swing speed then. Time changes things. With the shaft and length I probably in all honesty could not get it back and through now

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Ok so this is the age old question after cutting your drivers down.   Do you all leave the swing weight alone, or do you add lead tape etc. to try and bring it back to specs?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Ok so this is the age old question after cutting your drivers down.   Do you all leave the swing weight alone, or do you add lead tape etc. to try and bring it back to specs?

Personally I go by feel. I have to feel that head throughout the swing. On the 915 I did add about 4 grams of lead tape in the heel. On the Homna I have not yet. I am still dialing that Homna in some. It is not actually etched in stone that you have to add weight. Sometimes getting it shorter and lighter can be the ticket. Personally I do not swing weigh my personal clubs even though I have a SW machine. I go strictly off of feel and what the ball does

G

I also left mine alone and I like it.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

So far, I've left it alone. To be honest, I really can't tell any difference. I cut a 1/2" off of mine.

... I ordered the heavier weight with my Fly Z as I play it at 44.25". I have had this discussion with many of the OEM's at the Show and while none would go on record, virtually every engineering VP or associate I talked to was in favor of shorter driver lengths. They threw Sales/Promotions under the bus as the culprit. Where most of us (and many pro's) will hit a 44-44.5" almost as long as the 45"+ and in most instances hit the shorter driver consistently longer, an Iron Byron can still pound it out there a few yards farther. And that is how the OEM's make their marketing claims. If for instance Cobra didn't offer a "standard" length driver, Callaway could easily claim their Epic is "substantially longer than Cobra drivers". We have to remember most golfers aren't forum savvy and just want the longest driver. 

... And speaking of Cobra, you can order their F7 and F7+ drivers with two weights to offset the 44.25" length. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... I ordered the heavier weight with my Fly Z as I play it at 44.25". I have had this discussion with many of the OEM's at the Show and while none would go on record, virtually every engineering VP or associate I talked to was in favor of shorter driver lengths. They threw Sales/Promotions under the bus as the culprit. Where most of us (and many pro's) will hit a 44-44.5" almost as long as the 45"+ and in most instances hit the shorter driver consistently longer, an Iron Byron can still pound it out there a few yards farther. And that is how the OEM's make their marketing claims. If for instance Cobra didn't offer a "standard" length driver, Callaway could easily claim their Epic is "substantially longer than Cobra drivers". We have to remember most golfers aren't forum savvy and just want the longest driver. 

... And speaking of Cobra, you can order their F7 and F7+ drivers with two weights to offset the 44.25" length.

Wow very interesting tidbit right there!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

So, going an inch off from a 45.5“ to a 44.5" driver, how much weight must be added to the club head to retain its current weight feel? Is there a ratio that you can generally go by? Thinking of getting my 415 cut down for better control.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Cut about 3/4" off my Ping i20. Lost a little distance and is easier to hit. BTW I can find the ball now.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Recently I was hitting some longer hybrids of a launch monitor and the pro gave that advice. Here said you know perhaps with my handicap I was actually hitting myself with longer clubs rather than play 5 iron and lower. I can't hit a three wood and I'm very hit or miss with my 3 and 4 hybrids. I'm pretty good with a driver but not with the other long clubs.

It may be fun to try and crank it but rarely will it lead to anything other than some choice words

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

Archived