Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Short Drivers

Shankster

I felt like I had to stand a mile away from the ball. I never actually measured the stock Shaft. But now what am I supposed to do? The driver is amazing with the 3 wood shaft. Now I have no 3 wood shaft. Switch them as needed till I get one? Can't do that according to the "rules".

Leave the driver at home and play the 3 wood? Leave the 3 wood at home and play the driver. Ahh!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Can't you just trim the butt end of your driver shaft down to where you want it?  That's what I did...went from 45 to 44.25.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I felt like I had to stand a mile away from the ball. I never actually measured the stock Shaft. But now what am I supposed to do? The driver is amazing with the 3 wood shaft. Now I have no 3 wood shaft. Switch them as needed till I get one? Can't do that according to the "rules".

Leave the driver at home and play the 3 wood? Leave the 3 wood at home and play the driver. Ahh!

Sounds like you need to get a 5 wood shaft for your 3 wood. I just ordered and received one for my 3 wood! Excited to try it out (have to wait till Monday).

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :cobra-small: F9, Project X Evenflow White T1100, 6.0 

3 wood:  :cobra-small:  F9, Fujikura Atmos blue,

3 hybrid:   :cobra-small:   F7 19.5 degree stiff flex

Irons: 4-pw   :mizuno-small:  JPX 919 KBS C-Taper  Lite shafts

Wedges:   :cobra-small:   King Black 50, 54, 60 degree KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putters:  Odyssey O-Works  1w 34" w/ Superstroke counterbalanced Pistol GT 2.0 grip

Sounds like you need to get a 5 wood shaft for your 3 wood. I just ordered and received one for my 3 wood! Excited to try it out (have to wait till Monday).

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I play a 2 hybrid which is the same loft as a 5 wood because I'm more comfortable with the shorter shaft .  I've never found a 3 wood that I was comfortable with so maybe cutting an inch off would be the ticket.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I suppose I could do that. Have to ask the shop if they'd do it for me.

- Alan

If they can I'd suggest they weigh the head to determine if you need to make any adjustments due to shortening the shaft.

I didn't notice any difference but I did it myself too...

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

And add some weight to the driver. It's too light.

That worked for me. I added four strips to my driver and it feels just right! About two inches long right on top of each strip.

Cleveland

I'm actually considering trimming my driver down an inch, especially since I'm only 5'6". I know I'm not gonna bomb my driver 300 yards so as long as I can get it ~230+ in the fairway, I'll be 110% satisfied

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

I'm actually considering trimming my driver down an inch, especially since I'm only 5'6". I know I'm not gonna bomb my driver 300 yards so as long as I can get it ~230+ in the fairway, I'll be 110% satisfied

You sure can drive it 300 yards... You see, there's this thing called a cart path... 😂😂😂

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Put a matching 5 wood shaft in the 3 wood.

http://www.instagram.com/libertyballmarkers

You sure can drive it 300 yards... You see, there's this thing called a cart path...

MDGolfHacker

Just get the ball to ride the cart path all the way to the approach

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

I hate to be contrarian but there are precious few of us who can compare our games to PGA tour players.

We should be looking at LPGA trends as the very best of us have swings similar to theirs. What Ricky Fowler does has very little to do with me.

So look at what the gals on the LPGA are doing or better yet get fit. My driver shaft length is 45". It's what I was fit for.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I hate to be contrarian but there are precious few of us who can compare our games to PGA tour players.

We should be looking at LPGA trends as the very best of us have swings similar to theirs. What Ricky Fowler does has very little to do with me.

So look at what the gals on the LPGA are doing or better yet get fit. My driver shaft length is 45". It's what I was fit for.

I agree with this guy, I'm a club fitter and mostly deal with battlers.

70% come in looking for something cause that's what the pros play.

Well first of all no it's not, nothing anyone sells is what the pros play and 2nd they couldn't be any further from pros...

I agree with this guy, I'm a club fitter and mostly deal with battlers.

70% come in looking for something cause that's what the pros play.

Well first of all no it's not, nothing anyone sells is what the pros play and 2nd they couldn't be any further from pros...

Heck at 66 years old my days of trying to play like a PGA tour player is non existent. Maybe I had a slight glimpse of hope for a consistent low handicap back in the day however not even that happened.  Lowest I got was a nine and I was pretty pumped to be a single digit briefly in my life.

I do know this. Playing with a shorter driver has been a huge help for me.  The difference in my driver contact is short of a miracle. Impact tape does not lie however that is not the reason I enjoy the shorter big sticks.  Did I just say that? :blink:

It's a feel good thing and a confidence thing. A shorter driver inspires confidence and gawd knows I need that with a driver. I could care less how the pros set up their equipment because yes, their game is on a different planet than mine. Heck I was playing shorter drivers when most of these young pros today were still in diapers or better yet, a twinkle in their old man's eye. 

I have some crazy balance issues (too many surgeries) and my coordination pretty much sucks. The shorter clubs help me square up the face a little better.   I still suck but I enjoy it more...  :D 

Cleveland

My driver is t cut down per se but I do choke down about a half inch and I find myself much more consistent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

I usually hit 12 out of 14 fairways a round. When it's a must on a tight hole or dogleg, I just choke down an inch. Distance loss is negligible. My problem is iron pulls or hooks. The idiot fitter has me in AP1 irons that are way too upright. Playing my brothers "standard lie" irons and hitting pins! Just decided to wait till August to see the new Titleist and Ping irons and go to a real fitter! Hit'em straight!

• 3 weeks later...

I hit my longest drive this year with a friends Cobra @ 46

'I did an experiment using that driver and my Callaway at 44.75

'!0 drives each on the course, on the same hole.

My average drive with the Cobra was 7 or 8 yards less than

my Callaway, and the longest drive with the Cobra was only 5 yards

longer then the longest drive with my Callaway. Was not worth it.

I'm on the search for a used PING 3 Stretch. It just makes sense to me. I'm not out there trying to make millions. My accuracy with the 3 wood is at least twice as good as the driver and I almost think I get the same distance.

When I get around to it I need to get fit for a driver. I know I am leaving/losing massive amounts of yardage in the shaft.

Till then. I'll keep on keepin on.

I must have made a poor estimation of the length of my SLDR vs. a friends new Epic yesterday. Granted I just lined them up as closely as possible and the Epic was roughly 1" longer than my SLDR. My Taylormade SLDR official spec says 45.5" and that's what I just measured. My SLDR has been a great driver for me for both distance, control, and accuracy. I basically grip down about 1/2" on all my clubs anyway. Next time I purchase a driver I'm going to test it out and seriously consider either 44.5" or 45". 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

... Plaid, I hit a 330 yd drive last time out. I do not drive the ball 300 yds. In fact I may only have a couple 300 yards in a season. Plenty of 290ish that sure look like 300+ before measuring but often a number like 287 appears in my rangefinder. However, we had a good 20 mph wind at our backs and I hit it perfectly with my best swing. It is a short hole so I was not trying to hit it far per se, just put a good swing on it.

... My point being at 64 yrs old and only a 100mph smooth swinger, hitting the ball dead center (with some wind aid) I got it out there 330 with a 44.25" driver. Shorter is still capable of hitting it crazy far and for me at least, I will hit the center much more often with a shorter driver. I experimented quite a bit and found 44.5" to be my max consistent length. Going that extra .25" to 4.75" made a noticeable difference when charting my drives and going to 45" made quite a big difference in center strikes. Ymmv of course but I strongly advise everyone to try a shorter driver head to head with the length they are playing now and I imagine most will be surprised at how much farther they consistently hit the shorter driver. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

... Plaid, I hit a 330 yd drive last time out. I do not drive the ball 300 yds on any kind of consistent basis. In fact I may only have a couple 300 yards in a season. Plenty of 290ish that sure look like 300+ before measuring but often a number like 287 appears in my rangefinder. However, we had a good 20 mph wind at our backs and I hit it perfectly with my best swing. It is a short hole so I was not trying to hit it far per se, just put a good swing on it.

... My point being at 64 yrs old and only a 100mph smooth swinger, hitting the ball dead center (with some wind aid) I got it out there 330 with a 44.25" driver. Shorter is still capable of hitting it crazy far and for me at least, I will hit the center much more often with a shorter driver. I experimented quite a bit and found 44.5" to be my max consistent length. Going that extra .25" made a noticeable difference when charting my drives and going to 45" made quite a big difference in center strikes. Ymmv of course but I strongly advise everyone to try a shorter driver head to head with the length they are playing now and I imagine most will be surprised at how much farther they consistently hit the shorter driver.

You'll hit it farther consistently because you'll find the sweet spot more consistently

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

While I agree in principal I remain convinced that the better move is to get fit- what's the big deal about just finding a fitter and seeing what length he would recommend for your swing - more than likely it will be shorter than stock but what if it's not? I believe it's about 20 percent of players that should be in a longer driver - what if you are a part of that 20 percent? Is going for a fitting for a guy like asking for directions used to be pre gps days?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

While I agree in principal I remain convinced that the better move is to get fit- what's the big deal about just finding a fitter and seeing what length he would recommend for your swing - more than likely it will be shorter than stock but what if it's not? I believe it's about 20 percent of players that should be in a longer driver - what if you are a part of that 20 percent? Is going for a fitting for a guy like asking for directions used to be pre gps days?

I think it comes down to a financial decision rev.... does for me anyway.

Fitting session: 150.00

"New" Driver: 300.00

"New" shaft: 100.00 ??

vs...

hacksaw - 5.00

new grip - 8.00

grip tape/solvent  - 10.00

current shaft - free

current driver - free

measuring tape - free

If the choice is to pay a guy 150 bucks and he's going to tell me:

- I have the completely wrong driver and need a new one (more money)

- I have the right driver head but need a totally different shaft (more money)

- I have the right driver/shaft combo and taking an inch off the end will help (might have just wasted 150)

- I have the right driver/shaft combo in the right length and should go take a lesson (completely wasted 150)

or

DIY

I'll DIY all day long.... at the end of the day I still need some money to pay for my rounds.  I don't want to spend my budget on a "perfect" driver, let it sit in the bag and have no $$$ left to pay for playing golf.

BUT... you have a point; those that can afford it should do it; I'm just not in that category.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

That's funny

Just one thing - if you cut down the shaft and don't like it you've lost the driver. Try playing a few rounds griping down - it's not exactly the same but close enough. Be sure to put a piece of tape on an inch down the grip so that you're consistent.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

... Unless the guy wants to do a fitting on the course ;) I just don't see it as anything that would be helpful for length. Now if you are already getting fit, it wouldn't hurt to see if length plays a factor. But standing in one place and grooving a swing is far different than hitting a fairway during a round when it counts and there is trouble to avoid. I always recommend actually playing a club you are interested in on the course, and that certainly applies to playing a shorter length diver. 

@chisag - Beyond a doubt there is no substitute for being able to take equipment on the course and test it. Most of us don't have that opportunity. Either we don't have access to equipment or we can't find a course that's empty enough to do it.

I have little doubt that 80 percent of the guys here would benefit from a shorter shaft in their driver than what they would purchase off the rack.

Doesn't it make sense to ask a professional - either your teaching pro or a fitter if you are a part of that 80 percent before you cut down a shaft on your driver?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

@chisag - Beyond a doubt there is no substitute for being able to take equipment on the course and test it. Most of us don't have that opportunity. Either we don't have access to equipment or we can't find a course that's empty enough to do it.

I have little doubt that 80 percent of the guys here would benefit from a shorter shaft in their driver than what they would purchase off the rack.

Doesn't it make sense to ask a professional - either your teaching pro or a fitter if you are a part of that 80 percent before you cut down a shaft on your driver?

... As someone that put my students thru a fitting, I would say no. It is just an entirely different endeavor to hit balls at the range that don't count than it is to hit shots on the course that do count. Drivers were standard 43.5" for a reason and the OEM's began making longer shafts to increase the distance for sales purposes using an iron byron. If Rickie Fowler/Sergio Garcia are using a 43.5" driver because he is more accurate and just as long and Tom Wishon recommends a 43.5" driver after testing and fitting hundreds if not thousands of players, I just don't see how it can be beneficial to all but a few. Now I agree, before cutting down your driver it is easy enough to get some lead tape and choke down on your driver to see how much more accurate you really are. If someone is hitting their 45" (or longer) driver well and have confidence in it, I would never recommend just lopping an inch off without experimenting. And even then, golf is as much mental as it is physical and I have seen more than a few players hit clubs better that are ill suited to their swing because they truly believe they can. Quite simply if it works, it works. 

... That said, if you have a swing flaw or low clubbed speed and have a smooth transition and you can hit the center of the face as often with a 45.5" driver as you ca with a 43.5" driver of course it is an option. But I think that is far less than 20% of those playing the game and many playing a longer driver have hit some long drives but fooled themselves into thinking they are just as consistent. Very, very few are. Just take a look at the contact using a wedge compared to contact using a 3 iron. Not quality of shot, just contact.  

Archived