Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Short Drivers

Shankster

The only way guys like us can hit it longer is with longer shafts, cut your shaft down to 43.5 and see how far you hit it...

Are you familiar with the phrase "A long way the wrong way", i.e crooked? I think the point chisag is trying to make centers on smash factor, namely that consistently delivering a 46" driver to the ball is incredibly difficult for players making path/plane corrections in their downswing. Shorter shaft + improved contact = increased average distance

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching coverage and commentary, I've picked up on little mentions of players opting for shorter drivers to gain accuracy. I'm not entirely sure what yardage is sacrificed upon shortening the driver but specifically pertaining to the course, it can make a world of difference. Especially at the Memorial we saw players like DJ really struggle out of the rough even though he bombed them about 20 yards further he was having to hit 6/7/8 iron approach shots out of the thick rough which can kill a round. 

I do think the average golfer should opt for shorter drivers too. I switched to a shorter driver and lost about 10-15 yards on average but I was also approaching from a clean lie on the fairway. Its much easier to sustain a good round hitting longer irons from the fairway than it is navigating your way through the rough more often than not. Good topic!!

Watching coverage and commentary, I've picked up on little mentions of players opting for shorter drivers to gain accuracy. I'm not entirely sure what yardage is sacrificed upon shortening the driver but specifically pertaining to the course, it can make a world of difference. Especially at the Memorial we saw players like DJ really struggle out of the rough even though he bombed them about 20 yards further he was having to hit 6/7/8 iron approach shots out of the thick rough which can kill a round.

I do think the average golfer should opt for shorter drivers too. I switched to a shorter driver and lost about 10-15 yards on average but I was also approaching from a clean lie on the fairway. Its much easier to sustain a good round hitting longer irons from the fairway than it is navigating your way through the rough more often than not. Good topic!!

Dude! Sweet name! That was my nickname from my old Chief.

- Alan

Because the pros can hit it 100 yards longer than your average golfer already. The pros can afford to give up distance off the tee. I myself as a fairly average hitter cannot. I need all the distance I can get to ensure that I'm hitting an iron opposed to a long iron or wood into the longer par 4s

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I've played my last 3 drivers at 44.5" and not only am I more accurate but I'm slightly longer because I have the confidence to swing freely

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I've played my last 3 drivers at 44.5" and not only am I more accurate but I'm slightly longer because I have the confidence to swing freely

And confidence is everything

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Here's my thought on the length of my driver. I keep my driver just under or at 45 inches but choke down on most of my drives unless I have a wide fairway, where a little extra distance will pay off. That way I don't have to worry about changing the swingweight and I can still get a little extra out of my driver when I need to. 

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

To cut or not to cut!!!

WITB: 

TM 2017 M1 440 w/ Aldila Rogue Silver X

TM 2016 M1 15* 3 Wood w/ Aldila Rogue Silver X

TM 2016 M2 4 Rescue Hybrid w/ Aldila Rogue Black S

TM PSi Tours P - 3i (One too many clubs :D ) w/ DG Tour Issue X100

Titleist SM6 60,56,52 w/ DG Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

TM Spider Tour Red

Titleist 14 way bag  :)  :)

I have my driver cut down to 44 and my 3 wood to 42. (I'm 5'9"). I hit the center of the club more often so haven't lost any noticeable distance but have hit more fairways. Not sure how much shorter I could go and say the same though.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I recently cut my driver down an inch to 44.5. then I used lead tape to build the swing weight back to what it was before I cut it. Based on my launch monitor I lost an average of 7 yards distance. But I gained more than that in the accuracy. I have played 5 rounds since I made the change and I noticed my missed are now in the light rough. And that one slice I seem to hit at least once a round no longer ends up under a tree. Overall I am happy with this change.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Archived