TESTERS WANTED! ×

Coffee Bar - French Press, Pour Over or Perk?

Shankster

I was recently introduced to some locally roasted coffee that was prepared in a French Press. I was a Star Bucks "bandwagon" fan after living in Washington for 2 years and seeing them on every corner.

I've since been checking out small coffee roasters, and EVERYTHING gets pressed.

How do you take your coffee?

- Alan

I live in Washington, and Starbucks is the last place I would go for coffee.  There are so many other baristas in every town that are better.  I am fond of Panache coffee beans.

At home I use a Technivorm Moccamaster, grinding beans with a burr grinder.  On the weekends I add my own Baileys recipe to my cup.  Yum! 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm planning on buy an espresso machine sometime in the future, so that's my preferred coffee. At the moment I'm suffering through a Keurig.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Starbucks blows, way way better coffee out there, take a look at https://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com

As far as brewing method as KennyB mentioned the technivorm is one of your best options.

I'm an espresso drinker mainly and have been using a Rancillo Silvia machine for probably the last 15+ years and a Rancillo Rocky grinder for just as long, to this day they still make the exact same machine, it's a beast and easily serviceable with all parts available. Check out https://www.wholelattelove.com for all your coffee equipment needs, they are by far the best for anything coffee.

Coffee is like golf there are many ways to do it, many different tastes and for sure a way of life.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I've never had any other way than at a coffee house out of a machine, dripped, or out of our Nespresso maker...

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I've never had any other way than at a coffee house out of a machine, dripped, or out of our Nespresso maker...

Spent the $17 on a French Press, from amazon. You'll thank me later. Or do one better and find it locally!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000KEM4TQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1494680136&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=french+press&dpPl=1&dpID=412ZEcLF3bL&ref=plSrch

- Alan

I'm more than a little obsessed with coffee.

Fresh roasted and ground beans are the key to good coffee, whatever brew/extraction method you use.

Rule of thumb, roasted beans, use within 3 weeks, ground, 30 seconds. Most of the flavour comes from the volatile compounds in the beans, which lose flavour rapidly when ground.

Get your grind right for whatever method you are using, espresso much finer than French press. Regardless of how good your beans or machine is, without a good grinder, it is almost impossible to make good coffee.

At home, I use a high end Vibiemme Espresso machine paired with a Compak grinder. I home roast my beans, a blend of Peruvian, Ethiopian, Mexican and Indonesian.

When I'm traveling I use a Porlex hand grinder with an Aeropress, and get better coffee than most cafes.

Have fun with your coffe journey, but beware, it can be more addictive (and costly) than golf.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I buy those Keurig donut shop coffee, just regular, 1 or 2 cups a day. Nothing fancy for me

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I buy those Keurig donut shop coffee, just regular, 1 or 2 cups a day. Nothing fancy for me

Try "fancy" I was in the same boat. Like crap Maxwell House and a cup of creamer. The little extra effort to press a cup and add just the right amount of cream... dang that's good.

- Alan

I like my coffee like I like my women: light and sweet ☕️

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

My preference is French press, but if I am just making a single cup I'll do a pour over.

I am pretty amazed with some of the coffee making apparatuses out there now--some of them look like a full on chemistry set :)

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I have one 16oz cup every morning. Usually Starbucks dark roast with a little cream.

Brew it in a Keurig from fresh roast not the K cups. Works for me.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Community coffee from NOLA is the best brand I've ever had.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I live in Washington, and Starbucks is the last place I would go for coffee.  There are so many other baristas in every town that are better.  I am fond of Panache coffee beans.

At home I use a Technivorm Moccamaster, grinding beans with a burr grinder.  On the weekends I add my own Baileys recipe to my cup.  Yum! 

I almost bought a Technivorm several years ago. Everything I read said it was the best for that type of coffee maker. I told a friend about it and he bought one. And yes... it makes very good coffee. I decided to go with the AeroPress. I've been using it for probably 5 years. Actually wore out my first one and on my second one now. Makes great coffee. I feel sorry for all the Keurig drinkers out there. Do yourself a favor and throw that machine out. A new dawn awaits you.

For you French Press guys.... take a look at or even try a AeroPress.

And please... use fresh ground beans.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I almost bought a Technivorm several years ago. Everything I read said it was the best for that type of coffee maker. I told a friend about it and he bought one. And yes... it makes very good coffee. I decided to go with the AeroPress. I've been using it for probably 5 years. Actually wore out my first one and on my second one now. Makes great coffee. I'm feel sorry for all the Keurig drinkers out there. Do yourself a favor and throw that machine out. A new dawn awaits you.

For you French Press guys.... take a look at or even try a AeroPress.

And please... use fresh ground beans.

Second that! Auto drip coffee is for service center waiting areas.

- Alan

My wife is a Keurig user. So much so she bought a second one for local weekend trips. Me, no coffee for me unless it's coffee ice cream :)

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

When I was traveling to Russia a lot, I was drinking g a lot of coffee just to help with the 14 hour time change.  Russian coffee is like espresso and it was great.  I like my coffee black. except when I put my Baileys in it on the weekends.  But in Russia I had it with cream... OMG that was good!  Not half 'n half; real cream!  It's really the only way to drink that thick stuff.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

French press is too gritty for me, but I know plenty of people who enjoy it. I usually ground beans using a burr grinder and prefer the pour over method. I use a Chemex and find this to be smoother.

My colleague's family owns a coffee roasting business and he brings different roasts every week for us. I prefer darker roasts because I'm not a fan of the acidity associated with lighter roasts. To each his own though!

Morning:  Dunkin Doughnuts ground coffee in OXO Barista Brain coffee maker.  

Afternoon:  Dark roast or Nespresso (only espresso maker in the office).   

After dinner:  Cafe Richard (Perle Noire) espresso, Francis Francis espresso maker.  

For a change:  Turkish coffee--Mehmet Efendi.

Vietnamese Coffee--1 shot espresso +1 shot sweetened condensed milk.  

Morning: Dunkin Doughnuts ground coffee in OXO Barista Brain coffee maker.

Afternoon: Dark roast or Nespresso (only espresso maker in the office).

After dinner: Cafe Richard (Perle Noire) espresso, Francis Francis espresso maker.

For a change: Turkish coffee--Mehmet Efendi.

Vietnamese Coffee--1 shot espresso +1 shot sweetened condensed milk.

Forgot about Vietnamese coffee. Delicious!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I was traveling to Russia a lot, I was drinking g a lot of coffee just to help with the 14 hour time change.  Russian coffee is like espresso and it was great.  I like my coffee black. except when I put my Baileys in it on the weekends.  But in Russia I had it with cream... OMG that was good!  Not half 'n half; real cream!  It's really the only way to drink that thick stuff.

Kenny besides hopefully playing some golf one day I second the Irish Cream in the coffee. I do it all the time. In fact I'm having my coffee with IC as I type. Good stuff.

Below is a photo of my coffee making setup with my current grind. I buy from a Texas roaster Independance Coffee and have been pleased with their roasts.

Cheers.

20170514_081207.jpg

20170514_080250.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

There are a ton of different brands and ways to brew it for a reason, we r all different.

It's all good.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Kenny besides hopefully playing some golf one day I second the Irish Cream in the coffee. I do it all the time. In fact I'm having my coffee with IC as I type. Good stuff.

Below is a photo of my coffee making setup with my current grind. I buy from a Texas roaster Independance Coffee and have been pleased with their roasts.

Cheers.

attachicon.gif20170514_081207.jpg

attachicon.gif20170514_080250.jpg

Nice looking set up.

- Alan