TESTERS WANTED! ×

Coffee Bar - French Press, Pour Over or Perk?

Shankster

I would love to hear what people are using for their cold brew, how you make it and the flavors from the beans. I'll start. I've tried a number of beans and prefer a medium/dark roast with flavors of chocolate, toffee & nuts. Peets Major Dickason's Blend gives me all those flavors. 
I use 1 cup of beans at the coarsest setting on my Burr grinder. Put it in my French Press and slowly add water. I let it sit in the fridge for 48 hours and strain it through a coffee filter into a carafe. Some batches I drink straight and some I'll add a teaspoon of Melipone vanilla which adds a really nice flavor to the coffee.

IMG_4500.JPG.df4131671a8312e4a75bf4b2bbb3e53c.JPG

We get a coarse grind of the Colombian or Peruvian bean at a local roastery in Albion, IN. Order about 5lb every few weeks and steep in our cold brew carafe that we got from Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

14 hours ago, Shankster said:

When I lived in the U.P. I would get beans from this place.  Just found out they ship now.  Looks like I can still get them!!  I highly recommend it if you are looking for something new to try.

https://www.deadrivercoffee.com/order-our-beans

Very interesting flavor descriptions. "Harbor Girl- This one is bright and sassy!" What exactly does bright & sassy taste like?🤣

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

1 hour ago, Headhammer said:

Very interesting flavor descriptions. "Harbor Girl- This one is bright and sassy!" What exactly does bright & sassy taste like?🤣

It is the 15th time I am retyping it, all of the first 14 would land me on trouble with the moderators and the wife, so:

Light with a hint of spicy?

I think I am still going to be in trouble with the wife, but might be safe here.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

How did I just stumble upon this thread?! I'll have to take a picture of my little coffee bar at home but it consists of an OXO auto brewer, an old Saeco Espresso machine (needs to be replaced), a french press, an aeropress go, and two pour overs with one being a chemex and and one a hario v60, and finally a Rokpresso manual espresso press. Also have a hario skerton pro manual grinder and a couple hario cold brewers. 

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

Can someone here coach me up on this Cold Brew coffee? I love french press but when its 100* outside a nice cold brew sounds good. How can I do this at home. Fancy machine? Preferred recipes? 

“Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. “ - Gen Patton

Playing out of  Celina, Tx with a mediocre 92 average.....Coach!

Ping G410 Plus - 10.5* Alta CB 55 Stiff

Callaway Mavriks 4-AW TT-X100

Nike SV 52* TT-S400

Taylormade Hit Toe 56* KB-2.0 Hi Rev

Taylormade Spider X Tour - all black

Trophy Hunter RealTree Camo Bag

5 minutes ago, CoachTut said:

Can someone here coach me up on this Cold Brew coffee? I love french press but when its 100* outside a nice cold brew sounds good. How can I do this at home. Fancy machine? Preferred recipes? 

I googled “cold press” coffee.  Used my French press for it. I’ll loook for the link thet I used for the instructions.

12 hours ago, CoachTut said:

Here's how I do it. Try letting it sit overnight first and then experiment with different steep times to see which level of boldness you prefer.

I use 1 cup of beans at the coarsest setting on my Burr grinder. Put it in my French Press and slowly add water. I let it sit in the fridge for 48 hours and strain it through a coffee filter into a carafe. Some batches I drink straight and some I'll add a teaspoon of Melipone vanilla which adds a really nice flavor to the coffee.

@Headhammer and @Shankspeare Thank you! 

“Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. “ - Gen Patton

Playing out of  Celina, Tx with a mediocre 92 average.....Coach!

Ping G410 Plus - 10.5* Alta CB 55 Stiff

Callaway Mavriks 4-AW TT-X100

Nike SV 52* TT-S400

Taylormade Hit Toe 56* KB-2.0 Hi Rev

Taylormade Spider X Tour - all black

Trophy Hunter RealTree Camo Bag

My wife bought me an espresso machine, so most days I think an americano due to convenience, but on occasion I'll enjoy a double espresso.

Prior to that, I was a cold brew addict.  My stomach has always been sensitive to coffee, but cold brew never seemed to bother it.  I would buy the stok brand from the grocery store, and then I got to where I made my own using cafe du monde, which I really enjoyed.  The chickory gives cold brew a little extra flavor that I think is otherwise missing since cold brew tends to produce muted flavors.

We have a fancy coffee bean roaster in town that does pour over coffee.  I'd admit it's the best coffee I've ever tasted.  Each bean and roast seems unique and interesting.  But almost every time I've enjoyed it, my insides have been destroyed.  As good as it is, I can't say it's worth the risk for me.

Titleist 913D2

Ping G2 3W

Ping G2 3H 18*, 4H 22*

Mizuno JPX900

Cleveland CBX 56, 60

Odyssey White Hot RX #2

Snell MTBX

54 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Dig the backsplash!!  You put any cream in that stuff or just down it?

It came with the house not my style because it's plastic but it works for now. I had cream in my fridge which is odd and I used it just to get rid of it. I normally drink my coffee black.

5 hours ago, tommc23 said:

It came with the house not my style because it's plastic but it works for now. I had cream in my fridge which is odd and I used it just to get rid of it. I normally drink my coffee black.

Ah,  it looks like the real deal from here.  I am several hundred miles away though.

Well. I walked nine the past two weekends. Didn’t score too poorly but I must need new shoes ‘cause I feel like a three day old cake donut. ...About to fall apart. But on the bright side, this arrived on my doorstep. And it was worth the wait. IMG_0726.JPG

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy 10.5 closed face setting

Callaway Razor Fit 3 wood

Nickent 3 Hybrid

XR-OS 4i - 9i factory steel stiff 2 up +1

Ben Hogan 44,48,52,56

Nickent PP-01

Maxfli Tour Center of Gravity model

15 hours ago, 3ironpunch said:

Well. I walked nine the past two weekends. Didn’t score too poorly but I must need new shoes ‘cause I feel like a three day old cake donut. ...About to fall apart. But on the bright side, this arrived on my doorstep. And it was worth the wait. IMG_0726.JPG

How was it? I have been thinking about ordering for a while, they sponsor someone I watch so a discount for my first order is really tempting me.

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

I won a Nespresso Virtuo about 5 years ago, and my wife and I LOVE it!!! I prefer the espresso options as I enjoy “lattes”, and my wife likes their regular blends better. Here are a couple pics from this morning’s brew.

7A42C1B4-4D22-471D-A948-0CB5E8292F39.jpeg

A4F6DBFA-A84B-40E7-B1DE-2422E794CD23.jpeg

B8942026-1D80-4CF9-A91E-BA4C3E2157D3.jpeg

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

So I've been making my coffee primarily with a French press and Aeropress when needed. The problem I have is that I roll right out of bed and right into my office chair and straight into work. And usually it's about 9 before I can break myself away to make a cup.

I'm considering getting a machine just so I can have it going off just before rolling out of bed at 6 a.m. budget's $200 or less. I know that's not a lot but it should be enough to get something decent right?

Anybody have any suggestions?

Considering my equal taste for a strong black cold brew, I'm considering this. It also has a loose leaf tea setting and I do love me some green or lions mane tea. Also like that I can just put my 24 oz thermos in it and good to go! 

https://m.ninjakitchen.com/exclusive-offer/CP307WBKT/ninja-hot-cold-brewed-system-with-thermal-carafe/

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

Edited by azstu324

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

How was it? I have been thinking about ordering for a while, they sponsor someone I watch so a discount for my first order is really tempting me.

I do like the coffee. This roast is smooth and stands on its own. It is my first purchase and I will definitely try other roasts

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy 10.5 closed face setting

Callaway Razor Fit 3 wood

Nickent 3 Hybrid

XR-OS 4i - 9i factory steel stiff 2 up +1

Ben Hogan 44,48,52,56

Nickent PP-01

Maxfli Tour Center of Gravity model

• 3 months later...

Picked up a pound of King Cake blend from PJs Coffee and made a cold brew out of it. It's fantastic with strong cinnamon & vanilla flavors and packs a pretty good jolt. Highly recommended, you can find their shop online. IMG_4963.jpg.ffa7639b2d2ff939f63079873db9eaa5.jpg

On 10/27/2020 at 11:10 PM, 3ironpunch said:

french press

This one is just my favorite ! Makes better any morning

If you can`t change the situation - change your reaction.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 3:23 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Cold brew is fantastic. For those who haven't tried it: it's nothing like regular coffee that's gotten cold. You can take the same beans and make a normal cup of coffee and a cold brew and they end up with significantly different flavor profiles. The cold brew tends to be naturally milder and sweeter, almost a kind of coffee-flavored tea.

I'm with you on the nitro brew; I haven't yet found a reasonable or economical way to replicate that at home.

@azstu324 Just got this baby from Royal Brew loaded up today. Looking forward to my first home Nitro Cold Brew in the morning. Will report my findings. 

IMG_5055.jpg.c99510fc2b4b6629e83726c141ed71f6.jpg

10 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

@azstu324 Just got this baby from Royal Brew loaded up today. Looking forward to my first home Nitro Cold Brew in the morning. Will report my findings. 

IMG_5055.jpg.c99510fc2b4b6629e83726c141ed71f6.jpg

Definitely interested to hear your thoughts on this, and how much it costs per like 8oz of brewed coffee?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

28 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I'm just a simple guy..................... Maxwell House in the coffee maker in the morning... I'm a happy guy.

I'd be happy too, unfortunately the acid and my stomach don't agree. So the lower-acidity of cold brew is the compromise that me and the old gut have come to.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

55 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Definitely interested to hear your thoughts on this, and how much it costs per like 8oz of brewed coffee?

Cost per batch (approximately 80 oz) works out to $4.14. That includes 2 cups of beans & 2 nitrous canisters.