TESTERS WANTED! ×

Coffee Bar - French Press, Pour Over or Perk?

Shankster

9 hours ago, Shankster said:

Does anyone have a good recipe for creamer?  Unlike a majority of coffee drinkers at work, I like myself enough not to drink black coffee…

I want to make some maple creamer.  

Anything?

yes. I will google it at some point.

I don't know if they have a maple flavor, but I use Toriani syrups and mix with cream for recipes and sometimes to flavor my coffee. I used to by it in bulk from lollipop.com as their prices for the large bottles were cheaper than the small bottles you find in grocery stores.

https://shop.torani.com/Coffeehouse-Favorites/c/Torani@Syrups@CoffeeHouse

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

After 13 years my Cuisinart finally died.  Went to the local cook supplies store and they had a Breville that looked pretty dope.  I am a black coffee drip drinker but I drink 2-3 cups a day when I am not at work.  It's a big deal and I wanted to treat myself.

One week in and wow, this thing is amazing.  I set my bloom time and I've dialed in the proper scoop to water ratio.  

It's fascinating how it can elevate something as simple as a Tim Hortons bean.

7FBAF27E-4F4F-477D-BDEA-6BA5D204B6D6.jpeg

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

My morning brew is an automatic drip my ole reliable Krups. My son recently introduced me to Philz Jacob’s Wonderbar roast. It’s one of the best dark roasts I’ve ever had. For my afternoon coffee,  I generally fire up my Nespresso Vertuo. But if I need that extra bit of goodness it’s a Bialetti Moka Express with a dark roast. 

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

32 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I need a new French press for work.

any recommendations?

I've used a Bodum for the last 5 or so years, no complaints from me! I've broken the glassware twice over that time, and they have replacements you can buy if you need to which is handy.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

... I am not a morning person so I abandoned my French press several years ago. Tried a nice drip machine and it just didn't cut it. But I found a Ratio Six this year and could not be happier with it. Not quite pour over quality but pretty darned close. It is very pricy but they have sales all the time and for me at least, well worth the cost. 

https://ratiocoffee.com/products/ratio-six

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

7 hours ago, chisag said:

... I am not a morning person so I abandoned my French press several years ago. Tried a nice drip machine and it just didn't cut it. But I found a Ratio Six this year and could not be happier with it. Not quite pour over quality but pretty darned close. It is very pricy but they have sales all the time and for me at least, well worth the cost. 

https://ratiocoffee.com/products/ratio-six

This machine is the real deal. I chose the Brevile only because I needed a replacement that day. 

enjoy it!

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Well, this is awkward. This is my first time finding this thread.

I am a devout pour-over follower. 

Like, I am obsessed with tinkering with beans, roasts, water temps, etc.

Using a V60 currently. BRCC Chemex is still in the box for now.

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

1 hour ago, KurtActual said:

Well, this is awkward. This is my first time finding this thread.

I am a devout pour-over follower. 

Like, I am obsessed with tinkering with beans, roasts, water temps, etc.

Using a V60 currently. BRCC Chemex is still in the box for now.

I had some really good pour over on accident one time.  I walked into a coffee shop and asked for a mocha… record scratch music stopped the place… 

uh, excuse me sir but we only do coffee here… embarrassing as it was, I said just give me your best.  It still tasted like burnt hair, but it was tolerable.

I must have some sort of cream.  I did a stint on black coffee a few years ago, but realized that I like myself too much to suffer through it.  😂

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

I had some really good pour over on accident one time.  I walked into a coffee shop and asked for a mocha… record scratch music stopped the place… 

uh, excuse me sir but we only do coffee here… embarrassing as it was, I said just give me your best.  It still tasted like burnt hair, but it was tolerable.

I must have some sort of cream.  I did a stint on black coffee a few years ago, but realized that I like myself too much to suffer through it.  😂

Too funny! I discovered pour over in an attempt to find coffee that could be consumed without the need for creamer. I was on a fitness/nutrition plan and I was consuming a LOT of calories/carbs via creamer.

Fast forward a couple months and I am back to drinking coffee with creamer. I like air conditioning too, fight me haha!

Not all pour over is created equally either. Had a cup at the Whispering Bean in Albuquerque recently and wasnt impressed at all. Guess I need to get me one of those pelican cases so I can travel with my V60 and kettle.

2 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

Too funny! I discovered pour over in an attempt to find coffee that could be consumed without the need for creamer. I was on a fitness/nutrition plan and I was consuming a LOT of calories/carbs via creamer.

Fast forward a couple months and I am back to drinking coffee with creamer. I like air conditioning too, fight me haha!

Not all pour over is created equally either. Had a cup at the Whispering Bean in Albuquerque recently and wasnt impressed at all. Guess I need to get me one of those pelican cases so I can travel with my V60 and kettle.

Black rifle sells a collapsible v60 like product if I remember correctly 

3 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

A/C is a must.

... For those interested in avoiding sweet in their coffee but find black too bitter, have you tried a heavy cream? I use Straus Grass Fed heavy cream which has a clean taste and takes the bitter out of my Pour Over Ratio Six made coffee. 

https://www.strausfamilycreamery.com/products/organic-whipping-cream/

On 8/16/2021 at 11:39 AM, ThePhillB said:

French press, 3 and 6 cup Chemex, Hario V60, Yama stove top siphon pot, moka pot, Rok espresso press……. I have a problem 😅13D3F86D-9700-4AE3-AEFC-AE56CCCCC31C.jpeg.8ea9a09cd49ce7a1f8b89cf6b1c24470.jpeg

What no Turkish coffee grinder & pot? I'm disappointed...

I have a similar issue as you:

Home: Electric Burr Grinder, Manual Burr grinder (in case power goes out), Electric Kettle, Turkish Coffee, Moka Pot, Pour Over, French Press, Espresso Machine 

Work (all at my desk): 2 Manual Burr Grinders (different settings), Electric Kettle, Turkish Coffee pot and single burner stove top, French Press, Aeropress, Espresso Machine, Milk warmer/frother. 

I've been eyeing a siphon pot, but don't' know where I would put it at this point...

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Yea i just found this thread too!! Finally people that have some coffee AND golf interest.

Since i become WFH (work from home) a year ago, i figured i gotta make my own coffee and enjoy it. Ended up investing in a Mochamaster drip machine and a Baratza Encore burr grinder. Signed up for Trade coffee subscription to get some good recommendations and its worked out well. Went with the Mochamaster since its 1 or 2 machines that dispenses water at the proper temperature and certified by some National coffee association. Seemed fancy. 

Typically stopped tinkering and stick with a 15:1 ratio. 

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

... Have you coffee lovers tried Verve coffee? My favorite and also throw in Inteligentsia for a change of pace every now and then. 

https://www.vervecoffee.com/collections/single-origin

https://www.intelligentsia.com/collections/coffee#?page=1/filter.tags_coffee_type=Single Origin/sort.ss_days_since_published=asc

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Have you coffee lovers tried Verve coffee? My favorite and also throw in Inteligentsia for a change of pace every now and then. 

https://www.vervecoffee.com/collections/single-origin

https://www.intelligentsia.com/collections/coffee#?page=1/filter.tags_coffee_type=Single Origin/sort.ss_days_since_published=asc

This is good timing...I just ordered some intelligentsia (Nicaragua Los Delirios, Ethiopia Metad and Illumination Blend) and also got some free shipping so that's good! 

I like the idea of going heavy cream rather than half & half.  I've been slightly averse to black hot as it's been giving me some pretty good ajada (sic). I never drink coffee with anything in it but the dairy is helping cut the acid.  

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

3 hours ago, The 19th Hole said:

What no Turkish coffee grinder & pot? I'm disappointed...

I have a similar issue as you:

Home: Electric Burr Grinder, Manual Burr grinder (in case power goes out), Electric Kettle, Turkish Coffee, Moka Pot, Pour Over, French Press, Espresso Machine 

Work (all at my desk): 2 Manual Burr Grinders (different settings), Electric Kettle, Turkish Coffee pot and single burner stove top, French Press, Aeropress, Espresso Machine, Milk warmer/frother. 

I've been eyeing a siphon pot, but don't' know where I would put it at this point...

I’ve messed with Turkish coffee a few times but I’ve never had the “proper” equipment for it. Do have both a fairly modified electric burr grinder, couple manual burr grinders, and I believe I’m getting sent a ROK manual grinder to mess around with as well. 

As for the siphon/vacuum pot, they really do make a fantastic cup and are really enjoyable to see work. The cup is somewhere between the clarity of a good pour over and the body of a french press. I need to get back to roasting for myself again, been missing that. 

6 minutes ago, ThePhillB said:

I’ve messed with Turkish coffee a few times but I’ve never had the “proper” equipment for it. Do have both a fairly modified electric burr grinder, couple manual burr grinders, and I believe I’m getting sent a ROK manual grinder to mess around with as well. 

As for the siphon/vacuum pot, they really do make a fantastic cup and are really enjoyable to see work. The cup is somewhere between the clarity of a good pour over and the body of a french press. I need to get back to roasting for myself again, been missing that. 

I've thought about trying to roast coffee, but then I remember how bad I am at cooking and just figure I'll let the pros do it and just buy as fresh as I can. 

For the Turkish coffee, my first batch I literally in front of the tv and hand ground it in a molcajete to see how it was done int he old days. Now I either grind it in the store if the machine has the setting, or my Hario hand grinder can do it, but it takes a long time. Then I ordered a couple of hand made pots to use. The one at home can do several servings at once so my wife can have some too. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

5 hours ago, bens197 said:

This is good timing...I just ordered some intelligentsia (Nicaragua Los Delirios, Ethiopia Metad and Illumination Blend) and also got some free shipping so that's good! 

I like the idea of going heavy cream rather than half & half.  I've been slightly averse to black hot as it's been giving me some pretty good ajada (sic). I never drink coffee with anything in it but the dairy is helping cut the acid.  

... Once you use it up, try Verve. My son turned me on to it and it is pretty amazing. It is all he will drink and he is a real coffee connoisseur. 

Was given a coupon for a free bag of coffee from an online coffee subscription service, “Trade”. Answered a couple questions related to my coffee tastes, and this is what they sent for me to try. I’ll brew some this weekend to see if I like it.image.jpg.15a6c5179a58b2f561f2820a8985a8d4.jpg

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I just enjoy using our Nespresso Virtuo and making a latte, even buying the brews designed to add ice for an afternoon sip. My wife has found a “flavor” she likes so I order monthly for the both of us. I’ve never liked black, always cream and sugar, so lattes are right up my alley.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

39 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I just enjoy using our Nespresso Virtuo and making a latte, even buying the brews designed to add ice for an afternoon sip. My wife has found a “flavor” she likes so I order monthly for the both of us. I’ve never liked black, always cream and sugar, so lattes are right up my alley.

My wife swears by her Virtuo also.

If you get any more coupons from Trade and want to share, let me know!

42 minutes ago, Shankster said:

You guys are speaking languages that I do not understand.

Im at least a 50 handicap coffee drinker.

Me, too. I just put the ground coffee and water in the Smeg and push a button.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

You guys are speaking languages that I do not understand.

Im at least a 50 handicap coffee drinker.

... Here is a quick primer to turn you into at least a mid index coffee handicap:

If you are drinking specialty coffee like frappacinos, flavored creamers or coffee with cream and sugar you are basically having a hot soft drink. Nothing wrong with that, but you will not be able to tell much difference in the coffee or it's brewing method. I started out drinking coffee in my mid 20's and flavored it with Hagan Daz so it was a hot morning desert. Progressed to Starbucks and a Carmel Macchiato which was an easier to make hot dessert. I dropped the Carmel and just used Vanilla syrup and not quite a desert but still a sweet treat, not coffee. 

Using a drip machine I started using less and less Vanilla syrup but the coffee without sweet was on the bitter side. Learning more about coffee I purchased a French Press and was shocked at how less bitter and smoother tasting the coffee was. I was able to use less syrup. Then my son, a real coffee connoisseur, talked me into using heavy cream and no sweetener at all. It took some time to kick the habit but the different flavors of the coffee itself became much more apparent without sweetners. 

Once you are drinking black coffee or using just cream to reduce the acidity (some love the acidity) you will find pretty drastic differences between a drip machine, French Press, Pour Over, etc. Then a world of different flavors and quality of the coffee itself will open up to you. 

Fyi many don't know the darker the roast the less caffeine and conversely the lighter the roast the more caffeine. I know plenty of folks that prefer dark roasts because they think it has more caffeine. 

35 minutes ago, chisag said:

Fyi many don't know the darker the roast the less caffeine and conversely the lighter the roast the more caffeine. I know plenty of folks that prefer dark roasts because they think it has more caffeine. 

I actually recently learned this myself. Counterintuitive, but definitely true!

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Here is a quick primer to turn you into at least a mid index coffee handicap:

If you are drinking specialty coffee like frappacinos, flavored creamers or coffee with cream and sugar you are basically having a hot soft drink. Nothing wrong with that, but you will not be able to tell much difference in the coffee or it's brewing method. I started out drinking coffee in my mid 20's and flavored it with Hagan Daz so it was a hot morning desert. Progressed to Starbucks and a Carmel Macchiato which was an easier to make hot dessert. I dropped the Carmel and just used Vanilla syrup and not quite a desert but still a sweet treat, not coffee. 

Using a drip machine I started using less and less Vanilla syrup but the coffee without sweet was on the bitter side. Learning more about coffee I purchased a French Press and was shocked at how less bitter and smoother tasting the coffee was. I was able to use less syrup. Then my son, a real coffee connoisseur, talked me into using heavy cream and no sweetener at all. It took some time to kick the habit but the different flavors of the coffee itself became much more apparent without sweetners. 

Once you are drinking black coffee or using just cream to reduce the acidity (some love the acidity) you will find pretty drastic differences between a drip machine, French Press, Pour Over, etc. Then a world of different flavors and quality of the coffee itself will open up to you. 

Not sure I want to improve my handicap… 😂