Coffee Bar - French Press, Pour Over or Perk?

Shankster

6 minutes ago, ThePhillB said:

I’ve messed with Turkish coffee a few times but I’ve never had the “proper” equipment for it. Do have both a fairly modified electric burr grinder, couple manual burr grinders, and I believe I’m getting sent a ROK manual grinder to mess around with as well. 

As for the siphon/vacuum pot, they really do make a fantastic cup and are really enjoyable to see work. The cup is somewhere between the clarity of a good pour over and the body of a french press. I need to get back to roasting for myself again, been missing that. 

I've thought about trying to roast coffee, but then I remember how bad I am at cooking and just figure I'll let the pros do it and just buy as fresh as I can. 

For the Turkish coffee, my first batch I literally in front of the tv and hand ground it in a molcajete to see how it was done int he old days. Now I either grind it in the store if the machine has the setting, or my Hario hand grinder can do it, but it takes a long time. Then I ordered a couple of hand made pots to use. The one at home can do several servings at once so my wife can have some too. 

• Like 2
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

5 hours ago, bens197 said:

This is good timing...I just ordered some intelligentsia (Nicaragua Los Delirios, Ethiopia Metad and Illumination Blend) and also got some free shipping so that's good! 

I like the idea of going heavy cream rather than half & half.  I've been slightly averse to black hot as it's been giving me some pretty good ajada (sic). I never drink coffee with anything in it but the dairy is helping cut the acid.  

... Once you use it up, try Verve. My son turned me on to it and it is pretty amazing. It is all he will drink and he is a real coffee connoisseur. 

• Like 2

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                  :taylormade-small: MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour/TP5x (2021)

Was given a coupon for a free bag of coffee from an online coffee subscription service, “Trade”. Answered a couple questions related to my coffee tastes, and this is what they sent for me to try. I’ll brew some this weekend to see if I like it.image.jpg.15a6c5179a58b2f561f2820a8985a8d4.jpg

• Like 4

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

I just enjoy using our Nespresso Virtuo and making a latte, even buying the brews designed to add ice for an afternoon sip. My wife has found a “flavor” she likes so I order monthly for the both of us. I’ve never liked black, always cream and sugar, so lattes are right up my alley.

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

39 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I just enjoy using our Nespresso Virtuo and making a latte, even buying the brews designed to add ice for an afternoon sip. My wife has found a “flavor” she likes so I order monthly for the both of us. I’ve never liked black, always cream and sugar, so lattes are right up my alley.

My wife swears by her Virtuo also.

If you get any more coupons from Trade and want to share, let me know!

• Like 1

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

42 minutes ago, Shankster said:

You guys are speaking languages that I do not understand.

Im at least a 50 handicap coffee drinker.

Me, too. I just put the ground coffee and water in the Smeg and push a button.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ Aldila DVS

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro Apex 4

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S

:titelist-small: Studio Design 2.5/:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

You guys are speaking languages that I do not understand.

Im at least a 50 handicap coffee drinker.

... Here is a quick primer to turn you into at least a mid index coffee handicap:

If you are drinking specialty coffee like frappacinos, flavored creamers or coffee with cream and sugar you are basically having a hot soft drink. Nothing wrong with that, but you will not be able to tell much difference in the coffee or it's brewing method. I started out drinking coffee in my mid 20's and flavored it with Hagan Daz so it was a hot morning desert. Progressed to Starbucks and a Carmel Macchiato which was an easier to make hot dessert. I dropped the Carmel and just used Vanilla syrup and not quite a desert but still a sweet treat, not coffee. 

Using a drip machine I started using less and less Vanilla syrup but the coffee without sweet was on the bitter side. Learning more about coffee I purchased a French Press and was shocked at how less bitter and smoother tasting the coffee was. I was able to use less syrup. Then my son, a real coffee connoisseur, talked me into using heavy cream and no sweetener at all. It took some time to kick the habit but the different flavors of the coffee itself became much more apparent without sweetners. 

Once you are drinking black coffee or using just cream to reduce the acidity (some love the acidity) you will find pretty drastic differences between a drip machine, French Press, Pour Over, etc. Then a world of different flavors and quality of the coffee itself will open up to you. 

Fyi many don't know the darker the roast the less caffeine and conversely the lighter the roast the more caffeine. I know plenty of folks that prefer dark roasts because they think it has more caffeine. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, chisag said:

Fyi many don't know the darker the roast the less caffeine and conversely the lighter the roast the more caffeine. I know plenty of folks that prefer dark roasts because they think it has more caffeine. 

I actually recently learned this myself. Counterintuitive, but definitely true!

• Like 3

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (KBS Tour V 110g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour OR TP5X

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Here is a quick primer to turn you into at least a mid index coffee handicap:

If you are drinking specialty coffee like frappacinos, flavored creamers or coffee with cream and sugar you are basically having a hot soft drink. Nothing wrong with that, but you will not be able to tell much difference in the coffee or it's brewing method. I started out drinking coffee in my mid 20's and flavored it with Hagan Daz so it was a hot morning desert. Progressed to Starbucks and a Carmel Macchiato which was an easier to make hot dessert. I dropped the Carmel and just used Vanilla syrup and not quite a desert but still a sweet treat, not coffee. 

Using a drip machine I started using less and less Vanilla syrup but the coffee without sweet was on the bitter side. Learning more about coffee I purchased a French Press and was shocked at how less bitter and smoother tasting the coffee was. I was able to use less syrup. Then my son, a real coffee connoisseur, talked me into using heavy cream and no sweetener at all. It took some time to kick the habit but the different flavors of the coffee itself became much more apparent without sweetners. 

Once you are drinking black coffee or using just cream to reduce the acidity (some love the acidity) you will find pretty drastic differences between a drip machine, French Press, Pour Over, etc. Then a world of different flavors and quality of the coffee itself will open up to you. 

Not sure I want to improve my handicap… 😂

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Not sure I want to improve my handicap… 😂

... I mean this in the most positive way: Ignorance is bliss. 😜

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I'm obviously such a rookie at this! 

I didn't realize that before since I've been a coffee addict since the age of twelve.

I settle for Dunkin Donuts K cups at home.

I'm not sure what they pour at the club, but that works too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chisag said:

My favorite thing is I get the black rifle monthly and they send me random roasts. I love testing them on different ratios and seeing what different flavors I get. I always start with 17:1 in my chemex

We grind beans daily with a Baratza Virtuoso conical burr grinder and brew with a Bonavita thermal carafe brewer. If you don’t use fresh ground coffee and brew at the correct time and temp (pour over, press or drip), buying great beans is a waste of money. K-cups are a wasteful abomination, only good at fast/easy.

“To meet the standard, the required ratio of coffee to water is 55 g per liter. The water temperature must be 200 ℉. A coffee maker that is looking to meet this standard needs to maintain a specific water-coffee contact time. This, again, depends on the grind: 1 to 4 minutes for a fine grind, 4 to 6 minutes for a drip grind, or 6 to 8 minutes for a coarse grind. Additionally, it must provide turbulence such that there is even mixing of coffee and water for uniform extraction. Finally, the filter must minimally affect the flavor and body of the coffee while limiting sediment in the cup.”

• Like 3
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

Hario V60 is one of the best coffee inventions ever. I keep a pretty basic Baratza Virtuoso+ grinder along with a V60 at the office for when I need coffee. The company provided a Keurig but I just can't do it. The Keurig is wasted because I am the only one in the office 95% of the time. I make a trip to the local roaster about every two weeks to restock one of their single origins. My family drinks swill at home and wouldn't appreciate the taste of better coffee, so I honestly don't waste the effort on them. 😄

1630018007563901312393249168929.jpg

Edited by RichL85
Added picture.
  • Like 4

Driver: Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu
3 Wood: Snake Eyes Viper Tour, Aldila NV
Hybrids: Snake Eyes Viper Tour 18 and 24 deg, Aldila NV
Irons: Srixon I-701 5-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120
Wedges: Callaway X-Forged 50, 54, and 58, Nippon Modus3 Wedge 115
Putter: Yes! Marilyn

Thanks to @chisag recommendation, my intelligentsia arrived this morning.  

IMG_0211.jpeg

• Love 1
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

22 hours ago, bens197 said:

Thanks to @chisag recommendation, my intelligentsia arrived this morning.  

IMG_0211.jpeg

I just moved away from Chicago 2+ years ago, and Intellgentsia coffee is outstanding. Ethiopian is a favorite of mine, enjoy it! I had my first Intelligentsia coffee when they only had one store in Chicago.

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT