TESTERS WANTED! ×

Coffee Bar - French Press, Pour Over or Perk?

Shankster

Ordered a small french press yesterday. We'll see how it does!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I'm a bit of a coffee geek but I try not to be too snooty!

Basically learn the basics and then try your beans out in a variety of different styles! Different methods of brewing coffee will bring out different flavors. Beans vary by roast, by crop and by age (you can absolutely enjoy great beans after 3 weeks btw! Some beans just start to develop after sitting for 3 or 4 weeks after roasting).

The basic things you really need are a scale, an electric kettle with good temperature control and a decent, burr grinder. Once you have that, you can get you various brewing devices and have fun trying different recipes. My every morning brew is usually a Chemex. The Chemex consistently makes a great cup and is very easy to use. I love pour overs which are super simple and the aero press is my favorite toy. If you want a serious coffee making tool for $15, get an aero press. The french press is great too! I don't use them as often because they aren't a very efficient extractor so I use a lot of beans to get enough. Drip coffee can be fantastic if you have a quality machine. I use a Bonavita because it has super accurate temperature controls and great drip dispersion. My wife hates it because I spent $200 on a drip coffee maker than doesn't have any programmable features. "But hon, it tastes great!" As for espresso, to get a machine that brews great coffee, you're gonna have to spend some money. Like, a new set of irons money. I recommend just going to a good coffee shop unless espresso is your thing.

As for roasting, it's fun! Do it! All you really need is a popcorn air popper and you can roast your own beans. Roasting can save you a ton of money and you can really fine tune your roasts to suit your flavor profile.

In the end, it's just coffee, have fun with it, experiment and never, ever talk about it with people who aren't into coffee because at best, they will think you're weird and at worst, a total hipster jerk!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I'm a bit of a coffee geek but I try not to be too snooty!

Basically learn the basics and then try your beans out in a variety of different styles! Different methods of brewing coffee will bring out different flavors. Beans vary by roast, by crop and by age (you can absolutely enjoy great beans after 3 weeks btw! Some beans just start to develop after sitting for 3 or 4 weeks after roasting).

The basic things you really need are a scale, an electric kettle with good temperature control and a decent, burr grinder. Once you have that, you can get you various brewing devices and have fun trying different recipes. My every morning brew is usually a Chemex. The Chemex consistently makes a great cup and is very easy to use. I love pour overs which are super simple and the aero press is my favorite toy. If you want a serious coffee making tool for $15, get an aero press. The french press is great too! I don't use them as often because they aren't a very efficient extractor so I use a lot of beans to get enough. Drip coffee can be fantastic if you have a quality machine. I use a Bonavita because it has super accurate temperature controls and great drip dispersion. My wife hates it because I spent $200 on a drip coffee maker than doesn't have any programmable features. "But hon, it tastes great!" As for espresso, to get a machine that brews great coffee, you're gonna have to spend some money. Like, a new set of irons money. I recommend just going to a good coffee shop unless espresso is your thing.

As for roasting, it's fun! Do it! All you really need is a popcorn air popper and you can roast your own beans. Roasting can save you a ton of money and you can really fine tune your roasts to suit your flavor profile.

In the end, it's just coffee, have fun with it, experiment and never, ever talk about it with people who aren't into coffee because at best, they will think you're weird and at worst, a total hipster jerk!

My 3 weeks is mainly a rule of thumb that will cover most beans. I've seen some Indian monsoon beans that were undrinkable at 1 week, not much better at 2, ok at 3 and pretty good (if weird) at 4.

If you want to expand your roasting batch size, have look at https://www.google.com.au/search?q=corretto+roaster&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-au&client=safari

I use this method, with a USB Thermcouple through an old PC, and get really good, consistent results, with 500gr of roasted beans at the finish. I used a popcorn popper for a few roasts, but get much better results with the "Coretto" I had nearly all the bits lying around for a more basic (no auto temp tracking) setup when I started, and added the USB Multimeter and PC later. I roast for a few people at work, and charge them supermarket prices, which makes my coffee virtually free, apart from a bit of time, which is a way I relax anyway.

My espresso machine would have paid for itself many times over, especially when my beans are home roasted.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Starbucks blows, way way better coffee out there, take a look at https://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com

As far as brewing method as KennyB mentioned the technivorm is one of your best options.

I'm an espresso drinker mainly and have been using a Rancillo Silvia machine for probably the last 15+ years and a Rancillo Rocky grinder for just as long, to this day they still make the exact same machine, it's a beast and easily serviceable with all parts available. Check out https://www.wholelattelove.com for all your coffee equipment needs, they are by far the best for anything coffee.

Coffee is like golf there are many ways to do it, many different tastes and for sure a way of life.

I hate you a little bit :D ...that is the machine that I was looking at.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Mmmmmm coffee. If I had more time in my day, I'd be all over the Chemex. There are just not enough minutes in the morning for everything that has to get done for everyone.

It's a good thing I live on the West Coast, where you can't drive 150 feet without passing an artisanal coffee roaster/brewer.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

My 3 weeks is mainly a rule of thumb that will cover most beans. I've seen some Indian monsoon beans that were undrinkable at 1 week, not much better at 2, ok at 3 and pretty good (if weird) at 4.

If you want to expand your roasting batch size, have look at https://www.google.com.au/search?q=corretto+roaster&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-au&client=safari

I use this method, with a USB Thermcouple through an old PC, and get really good, consistent results, with 500gr of roasted beans at the finish. I used a popcorn popper for a few roasts, but get much better results with the "Coretto" I had nearly all the bits lying around for a more basic (no auto temp tracking) setup when I started, and added the USB Multimeter and PC later. I roast for a few people at work, and charge them supermarket prices, which makes my coffee virtually free, apart from a bit of time, which is a way I relax anyway.

My espresso machine would have paid for itself many times over, especially when my beans are home roasted.

Oh, I don't use an air popper to roast! That's just a suggestion for people who want to give it a go without spending an arm and a leg! A few friends and I do some small runs we sell to friends, family and some smaller cafes and we invested in a Mill City gas roster with 1kg batch capacity. 

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Oh, I don't use an air popper to roast! That's just a suggestion for people who want to give it a go without spending an arm and a leg! A few friends and I do some small runs we sell to friends, family and some smaller cafes and we invested in a Mill City gas roster with 1kg batch capacity.

Nice. I've looked at upgradeding, but about $A2000 for 1kg is too much to justify for me. If my setup dies, I'll try to convince my wife I need something better, but its tracking well after 100s of roasts.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I won't lie as long as it's coffee I'm happy. There are very few places I don't like coffee. Tim Hortons is one of them, but even in a pinch it will do. Gotta love a pour over first thing in the morning though!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Nice. I've looked at upgradeding, but about $A2000 for 1kg is too much to justify for me. If my setup dies, I'll try to convince my wife I need something better, but its tracking well after 100s of roasts.

We had four guys go in on it. Truthfully, if you need that kind of roasting capacity for one person, you should seek professional help!!!  :D

I was recently introduced to some locally roasted coffee that was prepared in a French Press. I was a Star Bucks "bandwagon" fan after living in Washington for 2 years and seeing them on every corner.

I've since been checking out small coffee roasters, and EVERYTHING gets pressed.

How do you take your coffee?

- Alan

I have a hario Japanese grinder to go with an aero press. Living in Atlanta, I typically go with Batdorf and Bronson or Octane whole beans. There's nothing better than a fresh cup of coffee while you watch your co-workers suffer through bad office coffee.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Today's brew:

Beans: Uganda - Mount Elgon, Sipi Falls

Grind: 19 on the Encore burr grinder (medium, just a hair on the fine side)

Brew: Chemex

Recipe: 30sec bloom at 2:1 then even pour over to a 16:1 ratio

Water temp: 200*

Cup: Awesome shark design

IMG_0092.JPG

Today's brew:

Beans: Uganda - Mount Elgon, Sipi Falls

Grind: 19 on the Encore burr grinder (medium, just a hair on the fine side)

Brew: Chemex

Recipe: 30sec bloom at 2:1 then even pour over to a 16:1 ratio

Water temp: 200*

Cup: Awesome shark design

attachicon.gifIMG_0092.JPG

Looks like a dang distillery.

- Alan

Looks like a dang distillery.

- Alan

Wait til you see my distillery!

How did I know! Isn't that illegal in California??

- Alan

It's only illegal if they catch you! J/K, distilling for personal use is perfectly  legal.

Kenny besides hopefully playing some golf one day I second the Irish Cream in the coffee. I do it all the time. In fact I'm having my coffee with IC as I type. Good stuff.

Below is a photo of my coffee making setup with my current grind. I buy from a Texas roaster Independance Coffee and have been pleased with their roasts.

Cheers.

20170514_081207.jpg

20170514_080250.jpg

Laughing Donkey. Why is the Donkey laughing. Mmmmm, that Laughing Donkey is delicious.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

You'll enjoy it. Just let it steep for the 4 minutes the recommend or it's rather bitter.

- Alan

I'm addicted!!! So good, so smooth!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Man so this is a thread that I can get behind...

My second passion (or arguably first...) besides golf is coffee. 

It's seriously just such an enjoyable experience. Making something completely by hand where I can control every variable of the equation and judge my outcome with every cup. I enjoy regular coffee (have a french press, Aeropress, Kalita Wave, Chemex, Hario V60, Lido 2 hand grinder and Bonavita variable temperature electric gooseneck kettle) as well as espresso (have a Rocket Appartamento and Rocket Fausto grinder). I use a  Acaia Lunar scale to brew all of it.

It is seriously insane how much money this stuff can run. But here's the even CRAZIER thing. These changes ACTUALLY make a difference. Going through the process of dialing in a grind, using different temperatures for water (205 tastes different than 208 and 210 tastes different again) and not only that, but the mineral compounds and type of water that you use has a total impact on the coffee that you brew.

This isn't even counting the single origins, blends, roast profiles, freshness and palate differences from person to person.

Two things I would recommend to anyone looking to get into this world, first if you have Counter Culture training center near you (check their site www.counterculturecoffee.com) visit and do one of their free tastings! They are very relaxed and will teach you a ton about this world, all from a very well trained Barista.

I also recommend a very eye opening at home experience. One aspect of this that you will not believe until you experience it is simply how much difference each of those brewers I listed above change the coffee. A french press is good, but it's not the best way to make this stuff. It could be for you, but there could be another preference that's better. French Presses do some things very well and other very poorly. To highlight the differences you need a few things.

A new, fresh bag of your favorite whole bean coffee

As many different brewing methods as you own (I recommend at least three and a French Press, Kalita and Chemex would be a great place to start)

Water

Kettle

Filters

Some time.

What you are going to do is simply go back to back with your brewing processes on each of these and taste the coffee. You will be BLOWN away at the differences in the cup between those three brewers. I find that experience really opens up peoples minds to what this world can be and will usually help guide you into what type of brewing you prefer.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Yes sir! 

I'm happy to answer any questions if you come across some. Just realize this world is even more potentially crazy than this sport we all love so much. It's very fun if you dive in, but it's a deep pool.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Shawn - besides coffee (which I agree is a modern miracle and fuels everything), and golf, I happen to like the picture of your Frenchie. I have two brindle females - one of whom looks exactly like your buddy. I'll post their pictures soon.

On coffee, my son-in-law turned me on to cold brew and I have to say that I like it better than iced coffee (brewed hot then poured over ice). Cold brew tastes richer to me without the bitterness you sometimes get. At my house today we had to use the French press since the main machine was being descaled. My wife and I calculated that we have at least five different ways to make coffee - brew, press, K-cup, Nespresso, and cold brew.

In the bag:

Cobra LTDx Max 9.5 deg.

Titleist TS2 3 Wood

TaylorMade SIM Max 3-Hybrid (from my son-in-law)

Titleist TS1 4- and 5-hybrids

PXG 0311XP Gen 5 6w - Gap

PXG Sugar Daddy II 52 and 56 (1 weak) wedges

PXG Raptor putter

OnCore Elixr 2022/Kirkland Signature (of course!)

Shawn - besides coffee (which I agree is a modern miracle and fuels everything), and golf, I happen to like the picture of your Frenchie. I have two brindle females - one of whom looks exactly like your buddy. I'll post their pictures soon.

On coffee, my son-in-law turned me on to cold brew and I have to say that I like it better than iced coffee (brewed hot then poured over ice). Cold brew tastes richer to me without the bitterness you sometimes get. At my house today we had to use the French press since the main machine was being descaled. My wife and I calculated that we have at least five different ways to make coffee - brew, press, K-cup, Nespresso, and cold brew.

Is it like the Cold Brew that Starbucks is doing right now? I had one the other day, and it was pretty good.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x