Coffee Bar - French Press, Pour Over or Perk?

Our Sponsors

My wife is a Keurig user. So much so she bought a second one for local weekend trips. Me, no coffee for me unless it's coffee ice cream :)

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a little coffee bar at home.  

Playing with my new hand powered espresso maker, experimenting with different coffees. In other news, I'm three shots in already and after several more trial runs, won't be sleeping until April.

Here's my typical morning coffee setup at my office: At home, we've got a Breville Barista Express espresso machine. I make a latte for my wife most mornings.

Posted Images

When I was traveling to Russia a lot, I was drinking g a lot of coffee just to help with the 14 hour time change.  Russian coffee is like espresso and it was great.  I like my coffee black. except when I put my Baileys in it on the weekends.  But in Russia I had it with cream... OMG that was good!  Not half 'n half; real cream!  It's really the only way to drink that thick stuff.

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

French press is too gritty for me, but I know plenty of people who enjoy it. I usually ground beans using a burr grinder and prefer the pour over method. I use a Chemex and find this to be smoother.

My colleague's family owns a coffee roasting business and he brings different roasts every week for us. I prefer darker roasts because I'm not a fan of the acidity associated with lighter roasts. To each his own though!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Morning:  Dunkin Doughnuts ground coffee in OXO Barista Brain coffee maker.  

Afternoon:  Dark roast or Nespresso (only espresso maker in the office).   

After dinner:  Cafe Richard (Perle Noire) espresso, Francis Francis espresso maker.  

For a change:  Turkish coffee--Mehmet Efendi.

Vietnamese Coffee--1 shot espresso +1 shot sweetened condensed milk.  

• Like 2

Morning: Dunkin Doughnuts ground coffee in OXO Barista Brain coffee maker.

Afternoon: Dark roast or Nespresso (only espresso maker in the office).

After dinner: Cafe Richard (Perle Noire) espresso, Francis Francis espresso maker.

For a change: Turkish coffee--Mehmet Efendi.

Vietnamese Coffee--1 shot espresso +1 shot sweetened condensed milk.

Forgot about Vietnamese coffee. Delicious!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When I was traveling to Russia a lot, I was drinking g a lot of coffee just to help with the 14 hour time change.  Russian coffee is like espresso and it was great.  I like my coffee black. except when I put my Baileys in it on the weekends.  But in Russia I had it with cream... OMG that was good!  Not half 'n half; real cream!  It's really the only way to drink that thick stuff.

Kenny besides hopefully playing some golf one day I second the Irish Cream in the coffee. I do it all the time. In fact I'm having my coffee with IC as I type. Good stuff.

Below is a photo of my coffee making setup with my current grind. I buy from a Texas roaster Independance Coffee and have been pleased with their roasts.

Cheers.

20170514_081207.jpg

20170514_080250.jpg

• Like 2

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

There are a ton of different brands and ways to brew it for a reason, we r all different.

It's all good.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Kenny besides hopefully playing some golf one day I second the Irish Cream in the coffee. I do it all the time. In fact I'm having my coffee with IC as I type. Good stuff.

Below is a photo of my coffee making setup with my current grind. I buy from a Texas roaster Independance Coffee and have been pleased with their roasts.

Cheers.

attachicon.gif20170514_081207.jpg

attachicon.gif20170514_080250.jpg

Nice looking set up.

- Alan

Ordered a small french press yesterday. We'll see how it does!

• Like 3

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy: 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ordered a small french press yesterday. We'll see how it does!

You'll enjoy it. Just let it steep for the 4 minutes the recommend or it's rather bitter.

- Alan

• Like 1

I'm a bit of a coffee geek but I try not to be too snooty!

Basically learn the basics and then try your beans out in a variety of different styles! Different methods of brewing coffee will bring out different flavors. Beans vary by roast, by crop and by age (you can absolutely enjoy great beans after 3 weeks btw! Some beans just start to develop after sitting for 3 or 4 weeks after roasting).

The basic things you really need are a scale, an electric kettle with good temperature control and a decent, burr grinder. Once you have that, you can get you various brewing devices and have fun trying different recipes. My every morning brew is usually a Chemex. The Chemex consistently makes a great cup and is very easy to use. I love pour overs which are super simple and the aero press is my favorite toy. If you want a serious coffee making tool for $15, get an aero press. The french press is great too! I don't use them as often because they aren't a very efficient extractor so I use a lot of beans to get enough. Drip coffee can be fantastic if you have a quality machine. I use a Bonavita because it has super accurate temperature controls and great drip dispersion. My wife hates it because I spent $200 on a drip coffee maker than doesn't have any programmable features. "But hon, it tastes great!" As for espresso, to get a machine that brews great coffee, you're gonna have to spend some money. Like, a new set of irons money. I recommend just going to a good coffee shop unless espresso is your thing.

As for roasting, it's fun! Do it! All you really need is a popcorn air popper and you can roast your own beans. Roasting can save you a ton of money and you can really fine tune your roasts to suit your flavor profile.

In the end, it's just coffee, have fun with it, experiment and never, ever talk about it with people who aren't into coffee because at best, they will think you're weird and at worst, a total hipster jerk!

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I'm a bit of a coffee geek but I try not to be too snooty!

Basically learn the basics and then try your beans out in a variety of different styles! Different methods of brewing coffee will bring out different flavors. Beans vary by roast, by crop and by age (you can absolutely enjoy great beans after 3 weeks btw! Some beans just start to develop after sitting for 3 or 4 weeks after roasting).

The basic things you really need are a scale, an electric kettle with good temperature control and a decent, burr grinder. Once you have that, you can get you various brewing devices and have fun trying different recipes. My every morning brew is usually a Chemex. The Chemex consistently makes a great cup and is very easy to use. I love pour overs which are super simple and the aero press is my favorite toy. If you want a serious coffee making tool for $15, get an aero press. The french press is great too! I don't use them as often because they aren't a very efficient extractor so I use a lot of beans to get enough. Drip coffee can be fantastic if you have a quality machine. I use a Bonavita because it has super accurate temperature controls and great drip dispersion. My wife hates it because I spent $200 on a drip coffee maker than doesn't have any programmable features. "But hon, it tastes great!" As for espresso, to get a machine that brews great coffee, you're gonna have to spend some money. Like, a new set of irons money. I recommend just going to a good coffee shop unless espresso is your thing.

As for roasting, it's fun! Do it! All you really need is a popcorn air popper and you can roast your own beans. Roasting can save you a ton of money and you can really fine tune your roasts to suit your flavor profile.

In the end, it's just coffee, have fun with it, experiment and never, ever talk about it with people who aren't into coffee because at best, they will think you're weird and at worst, a total hipster jerk!

My 3 weeks is mainly a rule of thumb that will cover most beans. I've seen some Indian monsoon beans that were undrinkable at 1 week, not much better at 2, ok at 3 and pretty good (if weird) at 4.

If you want to expand your roasting batch size, have look at https://www.google.com.au/search?q=corretto+roaster&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-au&client=safari

I use this method, with a USB Thermcouple through an old PC, and get really good, consistent results, with 500gr of roasted beans at the finish. I used a popcorn popper for a few roasts, but get much better results with the "Coretto" I had nearly all the bits lying around for a more basic (no auto temp tracking) setup when I started, and added the USB Multimeter and PC later. I roast for a few people at work, and charge them supermarket prices, which makes my coffee virtually free, apart from a bit of time, which is a way I relax anyway.

My espresso machine would have paid for itself many times over, especially when my beans are home roasted.

• Like 1

:ping-small:  G400 SFT Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Starbucks blows, way way better coffee out there, take a look at https://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com

As far as brewing method as KennyB mentioned the technivorm is one of your best options.

I'm an espresso drinker mainly and have been using a Rancillo Silvia machine for probably the last 15+ years and a Rancillo Rocky grinder for just as long, to this day they still make the exact same machine, it's a beast and easily serviceable with all parts available. Check out https://www.wholelattelove.com for all your coffee equipment needs, they are by far the best for anything coffee.

Coffee is like golf there are many ways to do it, many different tastes and for sure a way of life.

I hate you a little bit :D ...that is the machine that I was looking at.

• Like 2

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Mmmmmm coffee. If I had more time in my day, I'd be all over the Chemex. There are just not enough minutes in the morning for everything that has to get done for everyone.

It's a good thing I live on the West Coast, where you can't drive 150 feet without passing an artisanal coffee roaster/brewer.

• Like 1

Driver -   :srixon-small: ZX 7 9.5° Ventus VeloCore Blue S
Fairway -  Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15° Grafalloy Prolite 35  S

Fairway - Tour Edge Exotics CB2 18° Grafalloy Prolite 35  S

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

My 3 weeks is mainly a rule of thumb that will cover most beans. I've seen some Indian monsoon beans that were undrinkable at 1 week, not much better at 2, ok at 3 and pretty good (if weird) at 4.

If you want to expand your roasting batch size, have look at https://www.google.com.au/search?q=corretto+roaster&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-au&client=safari

I use this method, with a USB Thermcouple through an old PC, and get really good, consistent results, with 500gr of roasted beans at the finish. I used a popcorn popper for a few roasts, but get much better results with the "Coretto" I had nearly all the bits lying around for a more basic (no auto temp tracking) setup when I started, and added the USB Multimeter and PC later. I roast for a few people at work, and charge them supermarket prices, which makes my coffee virtually free, apart from a bit of time, which is a way I relax anyway.

My espresso machine would have paid for itself many times over, especially when my beans are home roasted.

Oh, I don't use an air popper to roast! That's just a suggestion for people who want to give it a go without spending an arm and a leg! A few friends and I do some small runs we sell to friends, family and some smaller cafes and we invested in a Mill City gas roster with 1kg batch capacity. 

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Oh, I don't use an air popper to roast! That's just a suggestion for people who want to give it a go without spending an arm and a leg! A few friends and I do some small runs we sell to friends, family and some smaller cafes and we invested in a Mill City gas roster with 1kg batch capacity.

Nice. I've looked at upgradeding, but about $A2000 for 1kg is too much to justify for me. If my setup dies, I'll try to convince my wife I need something better, but its tracking well after 100s of roasts.

:ping-small:  G400 SFT Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy