TESTERS WANTED! ×

Stretching before playing?

Street11

Yeah I know we should all do it, but my question is, how many of us really do? Myself, I stretch for maybe 45 seconds before hitting a few balls and practice swings and all that mumbo. What do you guys do? Does it help?

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

Man I'll tell you what, I won't start a warm-up session or practice session without doing regular plus active stretching. I have to activate my leg and back muscles before starting the violent action that is the golf swing. I spend a minimum of 15 minutes for it.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

I have to. I've torn up my shoulder, my knee working, and there's a family history of really bad back problems so I don't have a choice. I have a routine of basic stretches I do for 15 minutes before I even think of hitting a ball that include toe touches, easy squats, unfortunately I can't remember what the arm exercises are called but I'll figure them out and get back to y'all. After those my first few swings are with a weight on my wedges. Ever since I've started doing them I haven't aggravated any injuries and I feel like I don't have that wake up period I used to have on the first few holes.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Not to get to physical therapist nerdy on you here, but Stretching before raising your body temp enough to increase blood flow and warm the muscles can actually cause an injury. Don't stretch cold muscles.

If you're Looking to improve your flexibility, warm-up first with running, jumping jacks or some exercise to break a sweat, then do some stretching ( and stretch at the end of your workouts).

You're more likely to injury something at your end range of motion, and Rotational motions are especially forceful and can accelerate degeneration of joints when done repeatedly (golf swing anyone). Golf can be very ballistic, so if you're rotating, to your end ranges of you spine joints (each vertebrae has at least 4 joints with rib bearing ones having more) your are much less likely to get hurt if you're warmed up properly.

While you're at it Do some progressively forceful swings in the opposite direction to balance out the forces that pull on the muscles the soft tissue.

There's a new member from Portland @mdfrey6er that's a PT who works with some tour level golfers, if you want more specific stuff, you can shoot him a PM.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

It's a must! Back in the day when I thought warm up at the range were a waste of time and I rather be playing. I jump right to the 1st tee and wham! Spasm my back. No golf for a month or two. I happened a few times and I hated each time.

Now I don't start til I'm good and ready. 10 mins is all you need for a good stretch. No more than 25 balls at the range, I'm good to go. If you like golf take care of your back.

I can tell you this from experience. The older you get the more you better stretch and warm up. My first thing is a dose of vitamin I ( ibuprofen). I do not get real strenous fast. I really do not have a set routine. On hitting balls on warm up I do about like Ethan does except I do not have weights on my wedges (LOL I have enough lead tape on them anyhow) I will hit about 20 or 25 balls with the wedges to get loose and set my timing up. Just like Casey says I get my entire body warm to begin with especially in cool or cold weather. I will stress again that us older guys need to pay attention as we get older and less flexable. Good all around advice given by all on here

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I go the Stu route, medicate up lol.I focus more on stretching my lower hips and back. Everything else will loosen up as we go.

And I do this just before hitting balls. Stretching is a time issue for me. Not to soon, not to late otherwise it's a waste.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Stretching allows you to be free swinging from the first hole instead of waiting a few holes to get limber. How many times do you find your swing after a few holes. Definitely stretch if you want to score well from the first swing. Ask any pro golfer if he or she just steps up to the first hole and starts swinging without warming up.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Thank you @mcaseym ! I agree with your opinion. Many go into their rounds not fully warmed up which results in not only an increased risk for injury, but also an inconsistent swing which molds throughout the round. Consider how your body may adapt if it doesn't have the allowable ROM. We start seeing compensations including swing changes, inconsistency, & sometimes pain if the compensations hit an area of weakness or prior injury.attachicon.gifIMG_1104~2attachicon.gifIMG_1017~2attachicon.gifIMG_1646~2attachicon.gifIMG_1019~2attachicon.gifIMG_1651~2

I recommend starting with a light warm-up such as walking at a high pace for 10 mins, lower body/upper body cycle for 10 mins, or walking some stairs for 3 mins. Then move into some light to moderate dynamic stretches of the spine, hamstrings, groin, piriformis, & spine. Today I will post some pictures of stretches for the gym or home prior to your round & I will later post those which can be done at your course if you are running late or don't have access to a clean floor or mats.

Sent from my SM-J700T using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Picture 3 is a stretch for the piriformis, correct? And what is being stretched in the 4th picture?

Thanks for all your advice!

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Picture 3 is a stretch for the piriformis, correct? And what is being stretched in the 4th picture?

Thanks for all your advice!

1 is a leg over which stretches the low back, thoracic spine rotators, & hip/piriformis.

3 is a leg cross leg swing which loosens the hip joint & stretches the piriformis/lateral hamstrings.

4 is a quadruped trunk rotation which helps to open up the thoracic spine & engage the scapulae/shoulder blades. It also opens the chest/pectorals & loosens the shoulder joints.

Sent from my SM-J700T using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• SPY VIP

Man I tell, since hitting 40 my legs and hips are so much tighter.

I've started foam rolling while I watch tv at night just to keep things loose. Sometimes I'll just lay on the mat, throw in a movie and just go for hours. I've also been following a bunch of yoga and golf exercise accounts on Instagram to find some good video stretches too.

On golf days I get up early and put in 10-15 minutes of foam rolling. Then after I warm up at course to get the muscles going I do a series of stretches.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Man I tell, since hitting 40 my legs and hips are so much tighter.

I've started foam rolling while I watch tv at night just to keep things loose. Sometimes I'll just lay on the mat, throw in a movie and just go for hours. I've also been following a bunch of yoga and golf exercise accounts on Instagram to find some good video stretches too.

On golf days I get up early and put in 10-15 minutes of foam rolling. Then after I warm up at course to get the muscles going I do a series of stretches.

I just took a lesson and the pro suggested that I do just this. But on the course, I am always afraid of looking like this

Screenshot_20170515-073536.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

At 64, my stretching routine begins when I get out of bed and doesn't stop until I return to it.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I like seeing some of those exercise photos mdfry6er posted. Some of those especially the first two could have come straight off the stretching video by Roger Fredericks. I've been told they are basically yoga stretches. So be it. They are very good. I only wish I'd do more of them.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Really liked this video... thought he had some really good stretches in there and the importance of just pounding out a few balls and saying I'm ready couldn't be overstated.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I go the Stu route, medicate up lol.I focus more on stretching my lower hips and back. Everything else will loosen up as we go.

And I do this just before hitting balls. Stretching is a time issue for me. Not to soon, not to late otherwise it's a waste.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Yep you know us big guys have absolutely got to do that especially when we are getting older. And BTW I am just like you on the time issue

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I like seeing some of those exercise photos mdfry6er posted. Some of those especially the first two could have come straight off the stretching video by Roger Fredericks. I've been told they are basically yoga stretches. So be it. They are very good. I only wish I'd do more of them.

You are correct they appear to be modified Yoga stretches but in Yoga you hold the "pose" so to speak. My wife turned me on to yoga. Some of us older guys have to watch how we do those exercizes too

G

This is right up my ally as well! I'm not a PT (my useless brother is!) but I am a CSCS certified stength & conditioning coach and I work with athletes. Like @McaseyM said, don't stretch cold!

Really, I don't even like the word, "stretching". I think it puts athletes in the wrong mindset. Instead, focus on, "warming up". This means raising your core temperature (we call it, getting your chili hot!), proper joint and spine mobilization and prepping your CNS to play. Warming up isn't just about injury prevention, it's also about optimizing your performance.

One place where many athletes fall short is in the CNS prep phase of a warm up. Basically, you want to go through some challenging movements that will require focused proprioception and "wake up" your CNS in a sense. My favorite drill for this is what I call, the "outside, ground to overhead twist" 

Relative to the big toe on your left foot, place a golf ball one foot in front and then one foot out side (45* angle shooting out and away from your foot) of your foot. Just one ball. Now, balance on your left foot and pick up the ball, using both hands as slowly, smoothly and in control as possible (do not just crash down on the ball!). Pick it up and now, pretend their is a shelf on the right side of your head about a foot above head height. Stand up (still balancing on one foot!) and twist and place the ball on the shelf. Now, reverse the process and put the ball back where you found it. 

Repeat with the right foot, flipping all the directions. Go back and forth, right foot, left foot five times each. If you touch your lifted foot, no big deal, just pick it back up and keep going. Always be slow, smooth and under control. This will get your core temp up and really turn on your CNS before you go into your mobility. 

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I follow a very similar routine to what mdfrey suggests. I park away from the clubhouse so that I have to walk a bit. In Florida it's very easy to work up a sweat. I then do three similar stretches along with some rotational stuff. I don't hit a lot of balls before the round. Since I've adopted that routine I've stayed fresh through the round and had much less lower back pain.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks to all for your valuable input on this. Great topic!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

--WITB--

Ping i15 Driver 9.5° Stiff

Ping i25 Fairway 15° Stiff

Kasco k2k 44 Utility 19° Stiff

Kasco k2k 55 Utility 22° Stiff

Miura CB-501 Irons 5-9 KBS Tour Stiff

Scratch 8620 d/d grind PW 47°

Scratch 8620 d/d grind GW 53°

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 SW 58° 2 dot

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 LW 60° 1 dot

Never Compromise Putter Sub 30 Type-50

Snell MTB

Clearly I need to be stretching more reading these replies...

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

This is right up my ally as well! I'm not a PT (my useless brother is!) but I am a CSCS certified stength & conditioning coach and I work with athletes. Like @McaseyM said, don't stretch cold!

Really, I don't even like the word, "stretching". I think it puts athletes in the wrong mindset. Instead, focus on, "warming up". This means raising your core temperature (we call it, getting your chili hot!), proper joint and spine mobilization and prepping your CNS to play. Warming up isn't just about injury prevention, it's also about optimizing your performance.

One place where many athletes fall short is in the CNS prep phase of a warm up. Basically, you want to go through some challenging movements that will require focused proprioception and "wake up" your CNS in a sense. My favorite drill for this is what I call, the "outside, ground to overhead twist"

Relative to the big toe on your left foot, place a golf ball one foot in front and then one foot out side (45* angle shooting out and away from your foot) of your foot. Just one ball. Now, balance on your left foot and pick up the ball, using both hands as slowly, smoothly and in control as possible (do not just crash down on the ball!). Pick it up and now, pretend their is a shelf on the right side of your head about a foot above head height. Stand up (still balancing on one foot!) and twist and place the ball on the shelf. Now, reverse the process and put the ball back where you found it.

Repeat with the right foot, flipping all the directions. Go back and forth, right foot, left foot five times each. If you touch your lifted foot, no big deal, just pick it back up and keep going. Always be slow, smooth and under control. This will get your core temp up and really turn on your CNS before you go into your mobility.

I'm liking this drill!

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I'm usually get in a 2-3 minute stretch beforehand.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

I did this yesterday morning.... Felt real good! 👍

I'm liking this drill!

Adapted from an ACL rehab drill my brother uses!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

• 3 years later...

I do little stretches for my back but I also use the orange whip which helps me loosing up 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag