Street11

Stretching before playing?

I follow a very similar routine to what mdfrey suggests. I park away from the clubhouse so that I have to walk a bit. In Florida it's very easy to work up a sweat. I then do three similar stretches along with some rotational stuff. I don't hit a lot of balls before the round. Since I've adopted that routine I've stayed fresh through the round and had much less lower back pain.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

This is right up my ally as well! I'm not a PT (my useless brother is!) but I am a CSCS certified stength & conditioning coach and I work with athletes. Like @McaseyM said, don't stretch cold!

Really, I don't even like the word, "stretching". I think it puts athletes in the wrong mindset. Instead, focus on, "warming up". This means raising your core temperature (we call it, getting your chili hot!), proper joint and spine mobilization and prepping your CNS to play. Warming up isn't just about injury prevention, it's also about optimizing your performance.

One place where many athletes fall short is in the CNS prep phase of a warm up. Basically, you want to go through some challenging movements that will require focused proprioception and "wake up" your CNS in a sense. My favorite drill for this is what I call, the "outside, ground to overhead twist"

Relative to the big toe on your left foot, place a golf ball one foot in front and then one foot out side (45* angle shooting out and away from your foot) of your foot. Just one ball. Now, balance on your left foot and pick up the ball, using both hands as slowly, smoothly and in control as possible (do not just crash down on the ball!). Pick it up and now, pretend their is a shelf on the right side of your head about a foot above head height. Stand up (still balancing on one foot!) and twist and place the ball on the shelf. Now, reverse the process and put the ball back where you found it.

Repeat with the right foot, flipping all the directions. Go back and forth, right foot, left foot five times each. If you touch your lifted foot, no big deal, just pick it back up and keep going. Always be slow, smooth and under control. This will get your core temp up and really turn on your CNS before you go into your mobility.

I'm liking this drill!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I'm usually get in a 2-3 minute stretch beforehand.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

This is right up my ally as well! I'm not a PT (my useless brother is!) but I am a CSCS certified stength & conditioning coach and I work with athletes. Like @McaseyM said, don't stretch cold!

Really, I don't even like the word, "stretching". I think it puts athletes in the wrong mindset. Instead, focus on, "warming up". This means raising your core temperature (we call it, getting your chili hot!), proper joint and spine mobilization and prepping your CNS to play. Warming up isn't just about injury prevention, it's also about optimizing your performance.

One place where many athletes fall short is in the CNS prep phase of a warm up. Basically, you want to go through some challenging movements that will require focused proprioception and "wake up" your CNS in a sense. My favorite drill for this is what I call, the "outside, ground to overhead twist"

Relative to the big toe on your left foot, place a golf ball one foot in front and then one foot out side (45* angle shooting out and away from your foot) of your foot. Just one ball. Now, balance on your left foot and pick up the ball, using both hands as slowly, smoothly and in control as possible (do not just crash down on the ball!). Pick it up and now, pretend their is a shelf on the right side of your head about a foot above head height. Stand up (still balancing on one foot!) and twist and place the ball on the shelf. Now, reverse the process and put the ball back where you found it.

Repeat with the right foot, flipping all the directions. Go back and forth, right foot, left foot five times each. If you touch your lifted foot, no big deal, just pick it back up and keep going. Always be slow, smooth and under control. This will get your core temp up and really turn on your CNS before you go into your mobility.

I did this yesterday morning.... Felt real good! 👍

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1