Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Did I overact?

The Dansome

• SPY VIP

So we're on 16 yesterday, par-5, all our group are on the green around the front pin. 2 guys finished so they're standing nearby and I've just holed my putt. I picked my ball out of the hole, turn to walk to guys and mid step a ball passes in front of my face, literally 2 inches away and slams into the green. Seriously, I feel the wind, I hear the woosh and see the white flash. Everyone is stunned, I turn look down middle of fairway at the guys no more than 210-220 yards out and scream "f@ck". The guy who hit it then steps out from behind the right trees. I'm shaking, like half step more that hits me in the head.

My friend walks to the back of green and picks up the ball in anger and throws it in the bush. Maybe a bad decision sure, but in the heat of the moment it is what it is. He's pissed, we're all pissed, well actually me I think I'm in shock. I'm am shaking.

So we finish teeing off on 17 (don't know how I hit, still shaking) and this guy comes up and says sorry, but there's a tone to his voice that just comes off as I don't care--why'd you throw my ball in the bush.

I say OK, but now I'm pissed off and shocked and yes I had a tone in my voice and I say "you do realize that came inches from my head?" He says "that's​ why I said sorry, but you guys didn't have to act like 2 year olds and throw my ball in the bush."

I repeat, "you realize that ball passed inches from my head?"

He says "oh, but I'm sure you've almost hit someone once or you obviously haven't been playing long enough". What does that mean? Are you trying to justify what you just did? So if I play the game long enough I'll eventually hit into a group on the green?

"No!" I say. "What are you doing hitting with people on the green?? Because if I know I can cover the distance I wait, I'm not that stupid."

Buddy then says, "excuse me?!" And starts walking at me like he wants to fight. My friend who's a very well built ex hockey player steps in with the old 'everyone just walk away now', but this guy just keeps chirping.

We proceed down the hole and nothing else comes off this. I was rattled for the rest of 17, actually I think our whole group was.

So question to you all. Did, I overreact?

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not at all. Why in the world would someone even consider hitting into the green when it's within reach and there are people on it. There is no way they can justify themselves, that was an ignorant thing to do.

Ps.. this is what came to mind when you mentioned your hockey friend.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Nope. That is the worst thing you can do on a course is hit into someone. I got hit in the leg on a fairway one time. I ran over that ball at least 7 times with the cart. Dude had a similar reaction.

A friend of mine actually hit one back at a group one time, every hole they were hitting into us. We'd mid swing with "fore" getting yelled at us. We ended up calling the ranger.

Can you imagine the amount of pain you'd have been in if that smoked your head? Holy crap! Glad it missed you!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I don't think so at all, I'd be super pissed off if a ball came that close to hitting me in the head.

Personally, a player in my group playing a scramble accidentally hit an unthinkable drive that actually cleared the group ahead of us by about 20 yards, mind you, none of us had been driving the ball well all day.

We were all stunned and we headed toward the fairway and the group started driving up to the green and myself and a buddy went up to the green also and gave a sincere apology and explained ourselves and they were visibly upset but told us it was a hell of a drive.

All in all, we learned our lesson and they didn't seem terribly upset after the fact but I can completely understand where you're coming from after how they treated that situation.

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

You know, in 38 years sure I've hooked, sliced, shanked a ball onto another hole, but never have I hit into a green knowing I can cover. I've waited while groups on the tee behind me seem annoyed I'm waiting. What are you gonna do though, hit?!

You wait. That ball is traveling at NASCAR speed. If it hits you in the right spot it could be lights out.

Even if I think I it's out of reach I wait. Can't imagine seriously injuring someoneZ

- Alan

I've never hit into a group knowing I could reach them - gotta admit I did do it accidentally once, and that's when I learned the distance capabilities of my new 3 wood.  My bad, and I apologized. The group was rightfully pissed and we went on with the round without further incident. I was contrite, they were pissed, but we all moved on.

Fast forward to two summers ago. I'm on 18 hitting out of right side fairway bunker.  Been hitting the ball shitty all day but striped a PW to an elevated green. Within seconds of hitting the smack I felt a shot upside the head -- didn't know what the hell happened for a second till I looked down and saw a ball on the ground.  A guy teeing off on 10 sliced one my direction and didn't yell a thing.  Good thing it was a high, sharply descending shot and caught me with a glancing blow or, like in your case, it would have been lights out.  

I wasn't a happy guy -- I put his ball on the ground and hit the best, sweetest, purest iron I had hit in weeks and sent his ball flying into the pond on the left side of the 18th fairway. The guy came down in his cart and said "where's my ball?"  That's when I lost it--every expletive I  knew, and some I made up on the spot,  came flying out directed at the guy.  I intentionally stayed about 30 feet away from the guy because I would have done something really stupid.  He pulled the same act - sorry but not sorry and you didn't have to hit my ball in the water - but I cussed him a blue streak for about a minute before walking away.

I had just met my playing partners that morning - they only knew me as the guy they'd been playing the last 17 holes with, not a the screaming psychopath they were now seeing. I think they were more rattled than the asshat that hit me.

I was still steaming when I found my ball, on an upslope in the rough behind the green, about 45 feet to a downhill/sidehill cup.  Jarred the pitch shot for a finishing birdie!

So no, you didn't overreact. If anything, you showed pretty amazing restraint for someone who had just nearly been killed by an idiot. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• SPY VIP

No you didn't overreact. I have been on both sides of that situation and he should have just apologized profusely, found a new ball and played on.

PS Was that Langara?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yes it was. I'm guessing the reachability of that hole sounds familiar?

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Not really an overreaction. It is a fact you have to accept though. ANY shot, good or bad, can hit someone. Especially on a crowded course. I work in turfcare and play as often as I can. Ive seen it from both sides.

Not really an overreaction. It is a fact you have to accept though. ANY shot, good or bad, can hit someone. Especially on a crowded course. I work in turfcare and play as often as I can. Ive seen it from both sides.

I'll agree with you that it does, in fact, happen - but there is a level of expected behavior on the part of the hitter. You need to be contrite and offer up an apology right away.  And there's a bit of a difference between a blind shot where you didn't know there was someone on the green and being able to SEE someone on the green from 200 yards away.  In that case you have one less excuse and you better be doubly contrite and send the cart girl over the to group for a round on you.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

My kids were playing in the back yard a few years ago and my 9 year old daughter smoked my 4 year in the head with their driver. I thought she killed him. My wife almost killed me after we spent the day in the ER.

Not even a little bit if it was me and my friends it likely would have meant much worse lol.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

You didn't over react. Your playing partner should have risen above the situation a little bit and just teed the ball up on the green instead of tossing it in the woods. I say that knowing full well I would have most likely done the same thing, so no judgement from me. When in doubt, passive aggressive is always best in these types of situations.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

Tried to figure out what the ball speed might have been from 200 yards.  Best I could find was this: " For a 6-iron, a club speed of 80 mph and mid-trajectory results in a 110 mph. "

Then I tried to figure out if you can be killed by a golf ball and found this (from 200 yards) " A 67-year-old course marshall at a club in Arlington, Texas, died one day after being hit by a ball that caromed off a tree and into his head. He had taken shelter in a group of trees 200 yards from the tee box; sadly, the fatal shot was struck by his 31-year-old son.  "

I wonder if that idiot realized how close he came to inflicting serious bodily injury.  

I've got to say that it sounds like you really exercised a tremendous amount of restraint.  I'm rather impressed by that.

Just curious - did you mention to anyone in the clubhouse when you were done?  I'm not sure what the policy is but I wonder if they can permanently ban someone?  I suppose they would have liability insurance in case someone was severely injured and decided to sue but why risk it.  If some idiot doesn't understand the etiquette and rules then IMHO he shouldn't be allowed out there.

Happy to hear you were okay.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

• SPY VIP

Tried to figure out what the ball speed might have been from 200 yards. Best I could find was this: " For a 6-iron, a club speed of 80 mph and mid-trajectory results in a 110 mph. "

Then I tried to figure out if you can be killed by a golf ball and found this (from 200 yards) " A 67-year-old course marshall at a club in Arlington, Texas, died one day after being hit by a ball that caromed off a tree and into his head. He had taken shelter in a group of trees 200 yards from the tee box; sadly, the fatal shot was struck by his 31-year-old son. "

I wonder if that idiot realized how close he came to inflicting serious bodily injury.

I've got to say that it sounds like you really exercised a tremendous amount of restraint. I'm rather impressed by that.

Just curious - did you mention to anyone in the clubhouse when you were done? I'm not sure what the policy is but I wonder if they can permanently ban someone? I suppose they would have liability insurance in case someone was severely injured and decided to sue but why risk it. If some idiot doesn't understand the etiquette and rules then IMHO he shouldn't be allowed out there.

Happy to hear you were okay.

Didn't say a thing, figure it's just better to leave it alone at that point.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

It should never happen, period.

Next time a ball whistles past your face, just weave on your feet for a moment then crumple to the turf in a heap. Don't move a muscle (though snoring really sells it) until the offending party is within steps (it won't take long). Then simply stand up with a big smile on your face, proclaiming "And that's why you _ALWAYS_ wait". When you inevitably get some version of "You scared the $h!+ out of me, dude!"; the situation is perfectly tee'd up for you to reply "And now you _ALSO_ know how I felt" as you're walking away to enjoy the remainder of your round.

Enjoy!

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

• SPY VIP

Not at all, I'd drive back to where he was and ask him what's up. Not to sh!t start anything but sometimes people just need a "talk" moment.

Ya I think this is exactly why I went off. Sometimes I feel certain people need to be reminded of how life works.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

A group hit our cart, parked next to green, on the fly, during a recent 4 man scramble tournament at a packed course. I gave them a pass simply because they were giving free beer at the tourney and they were heavily intoxicated but it was tough.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I'm a guy that has almost been hit a several times and been hit a couple of times; Ouch! (nothing serious) but none of these instances left me quaking in my shoes like it did to MBP. Certainly didn't affect me emotionally as described. Must have been quite traumatic I suppose. Both times I actually was hit I was lucky I quess. No injury really. However, getting hit can be deadly. Especially at very close range. But getting hit after a ball has flown 200 or more yards probably won't cause that much injury. But it sure might sting.

I've seen instances where tempers flared and guys bow up and stuff. I think the best policy is to blow it off and move on. Especially where no harm was done. As they say... $hit happens.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

The guy just pulled off a miracle shot from the junk over 200+ yds out, probably with a hooded 6 iron. You had a front row seat to greatness and got all pissy, yup you overreacted

Honestly I think I would have RTS'd his ball with more accuracy, but that's me lol

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

No. You did better than I would have. I've been hit with a ball before..... it hurts like hell! I would have been on my way down the fairway in a flash after that. I probably would have got my a$$ kicked (not really...lol) but I would not have been understanding or congenial about it!

I get sometimes, you hit it great. I do not understand people that don't show serious remorse for an errant shot, particularly if it was a result of poor protocol. I would have been royally pissed. I have been in that situation and things have become quite "heated". People who act like that do so because they have gotten away with it before. It is your duty as a golfer who wants everyone to play with respect and safety, to light his ass up.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Overreact? Lol you barely reacted...

But seriously, don't think you can be calmer than that!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

You stayed much calmer than I would've.

I hit into a group once (not fly by them, but the ball did roll up right behind one guy) when I really got a hold of a drive. The group was a bunch of older guys that play my course every day and just motor through. They didn't wait to read me the riot act or anything. However having been in carts when they've been hit or having balls come up on the green while putting I realized it's fine to just wait until they're at a safe distance or have completely cleared the green.

If you're waiting on that shot, you're likely gonna be waiting for every shot the rest of the round anyways so no point in rushing.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

No, when u almost get your head taken off its hard not to react.

Been on both ends of the situation.

When u r the hitter just apologize shut up and walk away.

If u r the "almost dead" accept apology and move on.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Not one bit. Years ago I almost got hit and grabbed a 5 iron out of my bag and hit the ball back at the group behind me. They gave me some lip until I mocked the guy by telling him it is sad that he ripped a driver and I got it back to him with 5 iron.

Heck, when I was playing a month ago in GA I had a ball miss me by a foot when I was standing in the middle of the fairway hitting my second. The guy claimed he didn't see me (mind you I am a shade over 6 foot, 280 and was wearing red). I told him and his buddy that was their one shot and to get away from me. He kept chirping until my partner (Six five and a shade over 3 bills) piped up and they realized it could get ugly. They decided it would be better to leave the course than take an a$$ whipping.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Ya I think this is exactly why I went off. Sometimes I feel certain people need to be reminded of how life works.

I think the best thing to do is just to mark his ball with a penny and and put it in your pocket and see what he'd say.

Archived