TESTERS WANTED! ×

Did I overact?

The Dansome

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in your corner on this one MBP. I've never hit into anyone a member of my group did once, I had never played with him and it was a bachelor party with people we knew in front of us so we apologized and moved on. My brother in-law almost killed me once. I let him hear about it but it's family we move on.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

A guy in my group almost got pounded walking off the green on a Par 5 yesterday. No fore, nothing. We looked up and it was a young kid just walking by himself. We went to the next hole and he walked by and didn't say anything. What a sucker.

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

Different scenario, but I've been hit in the face before. When I was 13 my playing partner, who was 14, was teeing off on #12. I was getting something out of my bag still (which was about 15yds forward and 20yds to the left of the fairway direction).

I ducked down behind the bag and just peeked out as he tee'd off. He shanked it directly into my face. I went down like a sack of s%*t and my eye closed up pretty much immediately. I can attest that it is excruciatingly painful. There wasn't much blood so we decided to finish the round. When we got to the 18th green and Dad could see me he was less than impressed...

I ended up spending 5 and 1/2 hours in the Emergency Dept and had a cracked cheekbone as a result. The ER Doc said that if it had been a 1/2 inch higher I'd have lost my eye, or 1 inch to the left and it would have hit me in the temple and likely killed me.

Lesson learned: don't ever stand in front of someone teeing off - not even an inch in front and off to the side. I haven't since.

• SPY VIP

Different scenario, but I've been hit in the face before. When I was 13 my playing partner, who was 14, was teeing off on #12. I was getting something out of my bag still (which was about 15yds forward and 20yds to the left of the fairway direction).

I ducked down behind the bag and just peeked out as he tee'd off. He shanked it directly into my face. I went down like a sack of s%*t and my eye closed up pretty much immediately. I can attest that it is excruciatingly painful. There wasn't much blood so we decided to finish the round. When we got to the 18th green and Dad could see me he was less than impressed...

I ended up spending 5 and 1/2 hours in the Emergency Dept and had a cracked cheekbone as a result. The ER Doc said that if it had been a 1/2 inch higher I'd have lost my eye, or 1 inch to the left and it would have hit me in the temple and likely killed me.

Lesson learned: don't ever stand in front of someone teeing off - not even an inch in front and off to the side. I haven't since.

I swear someone else in this thread said they just bounce off and it's no big deal. You must have really weak bones...

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

No question that your reaction was justified. If you're hitting into groups you are just plain dumb and deserve the repercussions. I've hit into a group once in my life and it was a 360 yard hole and I somehow rolled one up on the green. I drove up apologizing and they hadn't really noticed but I still felt awful about it. Not justifying hitting into someone at all but flying a ball in is a whole other story, glad you didn't get hurt!

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

I swear someone else in this thread said they just bounce off and it's no big deal. You must have really weak bones...

ha - then I'd say they have only been hit in a fleshy part of the body. There is absolutely no doubt that you could get seriously injured, if not fatally, if hit in the wrong place or from the wrong angle by a golf ball at speed. I think someone already cited a death in this thread as a result.

Don't care how tough you are, getting hit with a ball can be very, very dangerous....

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/getting-hit-smith-061999

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Don't care how tough you are, getting hit with a ball can be very, very dangerous....

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/getting-hit-smith-061999

Exactly I had a buddy get hit in the chest and it was bad. Never a good thing

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

So we're on 16 yesterday, par-5, all our group are on the green around the front pin. 2 guys finished so they're standing nearby and I've just holed my putt. I picked my ball out of the hole, turn to walk to guys and mid step a ball passes in front of my face, literally 2 inches away and slams into the green. Seriously, I feel the wind, I hear the woosh and see the white flash. Everyone is stunned, I turn look down middle of fairway at the guys no more than 210-220 yards out and scream "f@ck". The guy who hit it then steps out from behind the right trees. I'm shaking, like half step more that hits me in the head.

My friend walks to the back of green and picks up the ball in anger and throws it in the bush. Maybe a bad decision sure, but in the heat of the moment it is what it is. He's pissed, we're all pissed, well actually me I think I'm in shock. I'm am shaking.

So we finish teeing off on 17 (don't know how I hit, still shaking) and this guy comes up and says sorry, but there's a tone to his voice that just comes off as I don't care--why'd you throw my ball in the bush.

I say OK, but now I'm pissed off and shocked and yes I had a tone in my voice and I say "you do realize that came inches from my head?" He says "that's​ why I said sorry, but you guys didn't have to act like 2 year olds and throw my ball in the bush."

I repeat, "you realize that ball passed inches from my head?"

He says "oh, but I'm sure you've almost hit someone once or you obviously haven't been playing long enough". What does that mean? Are you trying to justify what you just did? So if I play the game long enough I'll eventually hit into a group on the green?

"No!" I say. "What are you doing hitting with people on the green?? Because if I know I can cover the distance I wait, I'm not that stupid."

Buddy then says, "excuse me?!" And starts walking at me like he wants to fight. My friend who's a very well built ex hockey player steps in with the old 'everyone just walk away now', but this guy just keeps chirping.

We proceed down the hole and nothing else comes off this. I was rattled for the rest of 17, actually I think our whole group was.

So question to you all. Did, I overreact?

No. You did not. I would have definitely mentioned this to the staff in the shop as well. Even if it's a muni. Even if it's a swanky private place and you're a guest.

That entire episode was bull. Dude needs a serious attitude adjustment. What an f'n moron.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

So we're on 16 yesterday, par-5, all our group are on the green around the front pin. 2 guys finished so they're standing nearby and I've just holed my putt. I picked my ball out of the hole, turn to walk to guys and mid step a ball passes in front of my face, literally 2 inches away and slams into the green. Seriously, I feel the wind, I hear the woosh and see the white flash. Everyone is stunned, I turn look down middle of fairway at the guys no more than 210-220 yards out and scream "f@ck". The guy who hit it then steps out from behind the right trees. I'm shaking, like half step more that hits me in the head.

My friend walks to the back of green and picks up the ball in anger and throws it in the bush. Maybe a bad decision sure, but in the heat of the moment it is what it is. He's pissed, we're all pissed, well actually me I think I'm in shock. I'm am shaking.

So we finish teeing off on 17 (don't know how I hit, still shaking) and this guy comes up and says sorry, but there's a tone to his voice that just comes off as I don't care--why'd you throw my ball in the bush.

I say OK, but now I'm pissed off and shocked and yes I had a tone in my voice and I say "you do realize that came inches from my head?" He says "that's​ why I said sorry, but you guys didn't have to act like 2 year olds and throw my ball in the bush."

I repeat, "you realize that ball passed inches from my head?"

He says "oh, but I'm sure you've almost hit someone once or you obviously haven't been playing long enough". What does that mean? Are you trying to justify what you just did? So if I play the game long enough I'll eventually hit into a group on the green?

"No!" I say. "What are you doing hitting with people on the green?? Because if I know I can cover the distance I wait, I'm not that stupid."

Buddy then says, "excuse me?!" And starts walking at me like he wants to fight. My friend who's a very well built ex hockey player steps in with the old 'everyone just walk away now', but this guy just keeps chirping.

We proceed down the hole and nothing else comes off this. I was rattled for the rest of 17, actually I think our whole group was.

So question to you all. Did, I overreact?

I saw a scary fight over that very thing, almost a murder. When the police come and you're waiting for your hotheaded friend in the ER, who's right doesn't seem so important.

Hmm... This might have to be the next MGS test.. Launching a golf ball with a known velocity and distance at various objects to see the effects the impact can have... Kinda like the old Gallagher bits with the oversized mallet and watermelon.

But seriously, people don't realize how dangerous golf balls can be when hit with a driver or iron, that and tossed clubs ;)

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Last week my brother and I were having an excellent round at Torrey with two gents from the U.K. While on the green, a  ball strikes the green just paces away from us. Someone from the group behind us hit onto our green from 110 yards out! We were clearly visible. The course was a bit backed up, but we weren't slowing anyone down. Our new playing partners taught the offenders new vocabulary for the course. I've never heard "wanker" used in so many different combinations. The group never apologized but they backed off quite a bit. Makes you wonder how that is handled over there. 

:callaway-small:  Hot X2 Driver

:taylormade-small:  Jetspeed 3 Wood

:callaway-small: XR 5 Wood

:callaway-small: XR 3 Hybrid

:mizuno-small:  JPX 825 Irons

:vokey-small:  SM5 56 Degree

:cleveland-small:  RTX 3 Lob

:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Putter

I hit a 4i onto a green once (from about 220 yards)... I was actually trying to lay up for the chip... who knew, it made it to the green with people putting... luckily, it didn't hit anybody and it was a friend of mine ahead... so all I had to do was buy him lunch and beers...

But seriously, never again...

I'll play with a helmet from now on...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I don't think you overreacted either. I get that mistakes happen every now and then...but atleast gave the decency to yell fore or apologize. Golf, at the end of the day, is a game. Doing something that could seriously injure someone, even though accidental, should still warrant an apology and the person should take ownership of their actions.

I'm not a long hitter, but even if there is a slim chance I can hit it to where a group is, I wait. Even if there's a backup behind me. Usually ends up with me chunking it 5 feet in front of me, but better to be safe than sorry.

Stories like this make me nervous about taking my girls to the course when they're a little older....

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

In backing up what everyone else is saying...NO...no overreacting there at all!! I guess it's true common sense isn't so common anymore. I mean have the common decency to wait till you know for sure there is no chance of hitting someone before you pull the trigger!! You did what most normal people would have done!!

Driver: Ping G30 Tour 65

Fairway: Ping G30 Tour 80

Hybrid: Taylormade SLDR S 21*

Irons: Mizuno MP-54 KBS TOUR S

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 50* KBS TOUR,

Titleist Vokey 55*, 60* KBS Hi-RevS

Putter: SeeMore fgp Original 35", 69*, 2.5*

Ball: Bridgestone B-330 S

It's a pretty stunning story really. I've played tons of golf and been involved in both sides of this equation. As others have suggested they normally end with the offender making a contrite apology and the offended party acknowledging it to some degree. It's always seemed an unspoken rule that upon a second offense in a round or in a ridiculously obvious first offense the offenders ball shall be forfeit.

If it was clear that the guy saw you and still hit into you from 200 it's borderline criminal. My apology in his shoes would have been a swift and stunned I never saw you or didn't think I could reach. It seems like that would be any rationale person's response which leads to the next part of this reply. To me it's not worth it. If the guy is going to be a jerk I'd disengage in a heartbeat. These days you never know if someone is packing a gun. It's just not worth it.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have had balls land within 10 yards of me seven times.... this year already.  Two of those did not come from the driving range, and they heard about it!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

You did not over react at all.  I got hit in the back of the head once by a duck hook, it was all I could do to get turned.  Obviously the guy was not trying to hit into us. 

But in your case I would have lost it.  I know at our club most of the guys at 220 (even if they cant hit it 220) will wait on the off chance they catch one and it gets to you.  I would bet the guy knew he could hit it that far and was just being an ass.  As far as his ball, it would have gone into my bag.  Dude it went over the green no clue where it ended up, too shocked from almost getting smoked.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

• SPY VIP

You did not over react at all.  I got hit in the back of the head once by a duck hook, it was all I could do to get turned.  Obviously the guy was not trying to hit into us. 

But in your case I would have lost it.  I know at our club most of the guys at 220 (even if they cant hit it 220) will wait on the off chance they catch one and it gets to you.  I would bet the guy knew he could hit it that far and was just being an ass.  As far as his ball, it would have gone into my bag.  Dude it went over the green no clue where it ended up, too shocked from almost getting smoked.

For some reason I picture a "just go ahead and hit, it'll speed em up" conversation back in the fairway.

PS: The course (city) was not slow, they were and threesome and we finished in 4 hours on a weekend.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

(.. some stuff snipped ..)

Golf, at the end of the day, is a game. Doing something that could seriously injure someone, even though accidental, should still warrant an apology and the person should take ownership of their actions.

(.. etc. .. )

Very, very well said!!!

Literally could not agree more.

Thanks.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 2 months later...

@GolfSpyMBP, all -

See "suggestion" #7.

IMG_20170718_133002713.jpg(N. Shore GC, Sneads Ferry NC

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Archived