TESTERS WANTED! ×

Did I overact?

The Dansome

I've had the same thing happen to me in the middle of the fairway on like the 8th hole. Rattled me so bad it took me about 2 holes to stop shaking and it ruined their rest of my round.

I didn't get mad at the guy who hit it because it is was someone I knew and it was our first first time playing the course and the tee shot was blind and a dog leg

But man what an unnerving experience

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a guy that has almost been hit a several times and been hit a couple of times; Ouch! (nothing serious) but none of these instances left me quaking in my shoes like it did to MBP. Certainly didn't affect me emotionally as described. Must have been quite traumatic I suppose. Both times I actually was hit I was lucky I quess. No injury really. However, getting hit can be deadly. Especially at very close range. But getting hit after a ball has flown 200 or more yards probably won't cause that much injury. But it sure might sting.

I've seen instances where tempers flared and guys bow up and stuff. I think the best policy is to blow it off and move on. Especially where no harm was done. As they say... $hit happens.

I had my hand fractured by a hooked drive, about 230yds away, so yes, it can do some damage at that distance. If it was a shot to the temple, it could certainly kill someone.

As far as the original question....I've had the same reactions towards me, for driving it onto 350yd par 4s and that was with the ball rolling when it went by them. So, no, you didn't overreact.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Nope you should not be worried about being offensive.  I would have been on his arse like a duck on water. :angry: Especially if he copped an attitude. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

My family took me golfing a few weeks ago and we came up to a straight par four about 420. There was a twosome in the fairway about 280 away and the group behind us was almost done with the previous hole. So being the longest hitter I told my mom,wife , and brother to go ahead and tee off because while I don't carry the ball 280 often, I know it can happen. So I waited and waited as my family hit and the twosome got into the green. By this time the group behind me was caught up and waiting for me to hit. So I teed it up and blasted one 325 down the fairway. The best drive I have had in a few months. Had I not waited, I most definitely would have hit into the group in front of me. I think as rule of thumb, even if you are not playing well, you play the yardage you know you are capable of.

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

I don't think you overreacted. They should of known to wait. If there's even a remote chance you can hit into the group in front of you, you wait. They don't realize how dangerous getting hit by a golf ball can be.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I reacted similarly a few years ago.  On the 3rd hole of a local course my group was on the green putting when a ball landed on the green.  I hit it into the trees off the green.  We finished putting and walked to the next tee.  That's when this old guy in his personal cart with a windsock and a handicap flag comes charging up to our tee.  He was yelling at me for hitting the ball into the trees!! I thought we were going to go at it when my buddy stepped in and then he backed down.  It wasn't even his ball.  He was playing with his son and grandson (about 12-14 years old).  It was the grandson who hit the ball.  The old guy left and before we left the tee box, his son came up to us and apologized.  Fine!  However, the grandson never did.  I guess they didn't teach him golf etiquette.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

You're a better man than me, the last time someone did that, it was a short par 4 and he hit was was his 2nd shot right at us on the green (muni course on a 6 hour round day with foursomes in front and back as far as you could see) Looked at him, put my hands up in the WTF motion, walked to my bag, grabbed my hybrid, took his ball off the green and launched it in to the woods. 

So no I think you reacted fine

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I know my temperament would not be good in a situation like this.   I made it through Nam and I damn show nuff wouldn't want to go down by golf ball taking me out...  Worst yet if a clown hit my wife in the side of the head,,, he would be in for a bad day. 

This sort of unnecessary stupidity (hitting into groups ahead of you)  can cause a road rage type situation.  Why take a chance in hurting someone and causing a serious retaliation. I would hope most folks are out to have fun on the golf course and not be involved in a cage match.  Geez come on folks, get ya head our of your arse and try a little patience. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I got hit on the leg one time.   Fortunately, it hit me on a bounce, so while it did hurt a bit, it wasn't that bad.   When we looked back, we could see that his playing partners were berating him and saw that he was leaving.   One of them immediately came to see how I was and stated that he was sorry it happened.   It seems that the dude that hit me was a stranger that they let join them on the first tee.   Apparently, he was a bit of a jerk, and they weren't trilled with playing with him.   The guy said, I'm truly sorry that you got hit, but it was what we needed to get rid of him.

Not No but HELL NO.. 

My Father in Law got hit about a month ago when we were playing.. in the arm as he was putting clubs into his bag.. He's 80.. Not a "fore" Nothing... Knocked him down... He was ok. 

Get to the next tee box and the guy has the audacity to come up and ask if he hit him.. then he say's "i guess I'm sorry.." WTF???? 

I Almost went off on the guy pulled a Tiger's Ex on him but thought better of it.. 

Kudos to you for holding your composer.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I was once in a situation where i was the guy who hit into the green with people still there. I was over 200 yards away and never hit anything other than driver that far. I was going to wait, but my friends told me to go cause they also knew I probably wouldn't hit it that far. I lost it coming down but it looked short. Next thing it was rolling across the green. I didn't yell fore or anything. I had mixed feelings at first. I was upset that I hit into them, but proud of myself for hitting it so well. Luckily, the people on the green were friends and acquaintances also so I apologized and got congrats for hitting it well.

So, since then I give it a lot of extra yardage before I play behind someone.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'd say you handled it quite well.  While not proud of it I have hit balls back to people on several occasions.  I take getting cracked by a solid ball going 100+mph serious.

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

Almost happened to my wife once. We were behind a sloooow twosome, she was on the right side of the fairway just short of a dogleg right and I was just coming out of the trees where I'd sliced my tee shot to hear a very noticeable ball drop and then saw it only a few feet to her left.

From that tee you could clearly see her and the green ahead of us with the twosome on it.

Well these three (age and gender undisclosed) had been alternately close or far behind us for a while and were enjoying some (possibly a generous quantity) of adult beverages.

Anyway despite the age, health, strength and difference in inhibition levels I almost totally lost it and was a half step away from running back there and starting something - and I am **NOT** a confrontational​ guy!

So I stood in the middle of the fairway and jumped up and down waving my arms to let them know I was completely insane and that they should back the f*** off.

(It worked.)

So, no MBP, you were good.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Yes it was. I'm guessing the reachability of that hole sounds familiar?

Sounded familiar right when you said it

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I think you showed remarkable restraint. I would have been taking the 200-yard walk to discuss it with him personally after the shot had happened. Why would I waste my time throwing his ball in the bush when I could personally return it to him?

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

• SPY VIP

I think you showed remarkable restraint. I would have been taking the 200-yard walk to discuss it with him personally after the shot had happened. Why would I waste my time throwing his ball in the bush when I could personally return it to him?

But 200 yards is so far, you know how long it would take to walk out there? I don't even know if anyone could even hit a ball that far...

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

It's the one hole you have in the back of your head before the round that you will be going for in 2.

Exactly. Perfect scoring hole

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

I laid up from 232 lol

Didn't feel like waiting for the group to get off of the green? Sorry too soon? (I kid out of fun, and I know what happened wasn't fun)

In my bag:

• SPY VIP

Didn't feel like waiting for the group to get off of the green? Sorry too soon? (I kid out of fun, and I know what happened wasn't fun)

Don't worry I'm having fun with this.

My choice was 8 iron - 58* to 6 feet rather then 2 iron 30 yards right into that tall grass LOL

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Don't worry I'm having fun with this.

My choice was 8 iron - 58* to 6 feet rather then 2 iron 30 yards right into that tall grass LOL

That's the much smarter play! You're a good sport 

In my bag:

Nope totally within your right to react that way except I'd hit it back at them. Any shot of reaching the green you wait, it's that simple. Not an overreaction at all.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Of course you didnt overreact.

Aholes are aholes becasue they get away with it their whole life...

And they play the your fault game while their at it.

"You must not play much. Act like children.."

I wouldnt have moved his ball but I might have, and have before, hit it back at them.

A well placed smack in the mouth goes a long way in this world, which is why you cant take care of your own affairs the way "men" used to anyway.

The reaction you gave was prefectly fine considering he had playing partners in the fairway that could see the green and should have told him to wait. Best part was there was no fore from anyone in the group.

Then his half ass sorry and worrying more about his ball. You were in the right to react the way you did. We got your back on the course when we play together Mr Mann

• SPY VIP

The reaction you gave was prefectly fine considering he had playing partners in the fairway that could see the green and should have told him to wait. Best part was there was no fore from anyone in the group.

Then his half ass sorry and worrying more about his ball. You were in the right to react the way you did. We got your back on the course when we play together Mr Mann

Oooo look an eye witness lol - sorry you missed your birdie putt during all the commotion... 

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Archived