Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Major carnage at the Players.

Crashtestdummy

Major carnage at the Players. Just tells you how hard Sawgrass is and even harder when the wind blows. Here is some of the high scores. I am only posting scores 79 and higher, but tons of scores in the high 70's. Only 21 players under par. It has played tougher than many of the majors. I wonder how amateurs would fare. 

Vijay Singh            79
JB Holmes             84
Rickie Fowler        79
Jason Day             80
Justin Rose           80
Grame McDowell  80
John Rahm           82
Justin Thomas      79
Matt Kuchar          81
Robert Garrigus    80
Zac Blair               80
Harris English       84
Scott Piercey        84, 80

:taylormade-small:

:titleist-small:

I would shoot literally 200

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I wanna be the diver that goes in and get the 50 plus tour golf balls that hit the drink on 17

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I would shoot literally 200

I'll be playing it in September. I certainly hope I don't shoot that high. But I'm pretty sure I'll have to have at least a dozen balls in the bag. Lol

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I guess the course just doesn't suit their eye.

I was watching PGA tour live on Thursday and they asked one of the announcers that lives there what he thinks about the course. He said (I'm paraphrasing for the most part) "I don't like it and I've played here a ton. Every time I play it, it feels like a 9 round boxing match when I get finished. It's just such a challenge and every shot is grueling"

I'm sorry that you would prefer to play the tourneys that you shoot -26 for the week. The rest of us are in a boxing match at the local muni every single weekend

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Yep... that Sawgrass course is a difficult one. But, aren't courses supposed to be difficult and challenging for the Pros? Probably and just like most of you I enjoy watching these guys shoot 20 under. But honestly.... those courses are easy for those guys. I like to refer to them a Made For TV tournaments. So what would I shoot at Sawgrass? Who knows but it would be way high I'd guess.

I'd personally like to see more tournaments/courses toughen it up a bit on these guys. For me as a viewer it's more interesting as I can relate to the difficulty of what they're up against.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

From what I saw on TV on several of the holes, if you can just get your ball to hold the green you hit an amazing shot. You need to come to this course with a good understanding of how each green slopes. One of those books that shows you the slopes, that the USGA might ban, would be really handy here.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

JB spent A LOT of money yesterday...he was tied for FIRST.  1st place!

Holmes' score was the highest by any player at TPC Sawgrass since 2009, and it dropped him into a tie for 41st at 3 over par.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Its nice to see some guys struggle like I do on the course but there really was no excitement on this tourny. 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

While I would not want to see them play a course like the Sawgrass Stadium every week, one week or so out of the year can be encouraging to some of us amateurs.   When I saw all the top players struggling and going backwards, it reminded me of a line from the Rocky IV movie-see, he's not a machine, he's just a man.  

The thing I don't understand about what you see the pros doing (or not doing), is that they are over and over not executing fairly simple shots.  Point--drive on 4.  Its a short hole and the main, probably sole task, for the drive is to put it in the fairway.  You have almost no chance at a birdie, and maybe not even a par, from the left rough or right bunkers.  But you only need to get about 220 from the back tees to be hitting a short iron in.  But over and over, these pros and name pros, are hitting their hybrids and irons NOT in the fairway.  At their desired landing area, the fairway is pretty wide, so it should be a pretty simple shot.  After watching a number of groups go through on Thursday from behind the green, I said to my wife, "watch, next group, one will hit left, one middle and one right".  Sure enough, next five groups, only one had two of the three golfers in the fairway!

Over and over, I was seeing the pros not execute what should be easy shots.  #3, the short par three, should be a relatively easy hole, slight crosswind on Sunday, and they were hitting 8 and 9 irons 30 yds short (Sergio), 30 yds right, or 20 yds long!  

Something must get in their minds, or maybe something was in the water, 'cause a lot of the bad results were on fairly simple shots.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

When I go to TPC Sawgrass in September, I want to find the spot on 18 where Poulter hit his 4th shot from and try that one!!  I'm sure it will be come a tourist spot.  Much like the pine needles on 13 at Augusta for Phil in 2010,  the pine needles on 10 for Watson in 2012 or Sarazan's shot on 15.  

Imagine if that shot had been to get in a playoff, it'd would be talked about the greatest shot ever in golf.   

When I go to TPC Sawgrass in September, I want to find the spot on 18 where Poulter hit his 4th shot from and try that one!!  I'm sure it will be come a tourist spot.  Much like the pine needles on 13 at Augusta for Phil in 2010,  the pine needles on 10 for Watson in 2012 or Sarazan's shot on 15.  

Imagine if that shot had been to get in a playoff, it'd would be talked about the greatest shot ever in golf.   

I've been there a lot.  Like most, I tend to push, or really push my drive.  Then, I think I can do a Phil and try and hit it through that little hole through the trees, and always hit that little twig, sending the ball straight down to Ian's area.  My recovery shot from there usually ends up short right in the mounds 'cause I try to help the ball go higher at the last minute in my downswing.

I've shot 91 & 94 on Stadium in Golf Channel AM Tour Nationals. I find the sister course, the Valley, a tougher test. It's the Bermuda rough that sends scores high. So hard to do anything from Bermuda rough & when amateurs play there - the rough is not cut. Forces you to hack it out sideways.

Sent from my XT1650 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've been there a lot.  Like most, I tend to push, or really push my drive.  Then, I think I can do a Phil and try and hit it through that little hole through the trees, and always hit that little twig, sending the ball straight down to Ian's area.  My recovery shot from there usually ends up short right in the mounds 'cause I try to help the ball go higher at the last minute in my downswing.

You know, i was actually mocking him for taking so much time removing all the needles (loose impediments) before the shot, saying to myself and the TV.....come on man, you're out of it anyway, What The Hell!!    well he showed me, he knew exactly the type of lie he wanted, and I heard him say afterwards, it was actually a pefect number for him, he just needed to make sure he hit it clean.  

I've shot 91 & 94 on Stadium in Golf Channel AM Tour Nationals. I find the sister course, the Valley, a tougher test. It's the Bermuda rough that sends scores high. So hard to do anything from Bermuda rough & when amateurs play there - the rough is not cut. Forces you to hack it out sideways.

We are playing the Valley as well...Bermuda rough is the worst....you're so right, with my pitful swing speed, it will be taking a 9 iron or wedge and hoping to advance it 40 yards back down the fairway.....ugh

Forgot to add ... IF you can find your ball in the rough. PGA guys have forecaddies.

I believe we will be having forecaddies as well, so hopefully that will help. 

You know, i was actually mocking him for taking so much time removing all the needles (loose impediments) before the shot, saying to myself and the TV.....come on man, you're out of it anyway, What The Hell!!    well he showed me, he knew exactly the type of lie he wanted, and I heard him say afterwards, it was actually a pefect number for him, he just needed to make sure he hit it clean.  

We are playing the Valley as well...Bermuda rough is the worst....you're so right, with my pitful swing speed, it will be taking a 9 iron or wedge and hoping to advance it 40 yards back down the fairway.....ugh

I believe we will be having forecaddies as well, so hopefully that will help. 

Tell me about it, I've been saying that the Valley is tougher in many respects than the Stadium for the amateur golfer for years.  I'm a Valley Course member, so I play it 2 or 3 times a week.  That rough is penal!  I and many others have a "7 iron rule" -- don't try anything longer if you want a decent chance to advance the ball.  

That being said, we have very little rough right now.  The number of rainy days we've had since Jan 1 probably can be counted on the fingers of one hand.  We're getting spoiled, just bombing away from the tees 'cause there's really not much of a penalty from being in the rough right now.  

How much is the Golf Channel Am Tour Sawgrass tournament? That would be a pretty good one to play. 

:taylormade-small:

:titleist-small:

Archived