GolfSpy Barbajo

Official Forum Member Review - Sky Caddie Linx GT GPS Watch & Shot Tracking System

Claims the website makes? First, True Ground Cousre maps. They walk every course with professional survey equipment to create the most complete, reliable and precise course maps. But, you have to have a premium membership to get this feature. So, can I assume the watch is not as accurate if I don't have one. Will the watch even work if I have no membership at all.Speaking of accuracy, the website claims the Linx GT is up to 300% more accurate. Soon, from my fellow testers and I, we'll see if that claim is "Accurate".

The membership doesn't affect the accuracy. The LINX GT provides the same level of accuracy with or without a membership. 

• Like 2

The membership doesn't affect the accuracy. The LINX GT provides the same level of accuracy with or without a membership.

I also have to say the distances have been spot on for me. I mean, I have my rangefinder as well and I've always been in the same ball park.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I did experience a few rounds on the course where the app on the phone sitting right next to the watch had a difference of 4-5 yards to the middle of the green.  I could expect different apps having a difference based on average or GPS location, however it was confusing to me when I expected the two units to sync.  When you have 143 and 148 I found myself wondering which one was right or do I take the average.   I really liked the app to see layup spots on holes and I liked the confidence it gave me from having numbers to the front, middle and back of the green. Having a different yardage between the watch and my phone app hopefully was a glitch in mine or something they can sync better over time.

It sounds like the LINX GT wasn't connected / paired with the SkyCaddie Mobile. If they're connected, the distances should be the same because SCM is using the location from the LINX GT (not location services). 

• Like 2

I haven't had any sync issues with my watch and SkyCaddie Mobile. It's not too cumbersome to tap the smart tag on your shot. I leave my phone in the golf cart and walk a good distance away and the watch/app sync up once I get in Bluetooth range. If I forget to tag a shot, I can go in the app and update the club I hit. I think once people get used to the setup, they'll realize it's pretty efficient.

I don't know if i would want the app/watch to tell me what club to hit. The watch doesn't know the weather elements. I could be 180yds from the pin but facing a stiff head wind and if the watch says 7i and I hit it flush, I'm going to come up short.  

I was playing weekly and really getting the hang of the watch, but it will be a few weeks before I'm back out on the course. Thanks Harvey...this rain is...excessive. 

• Like 3

I used the watch in a best ball tournament this weekend. Just used for distances alone and it is really helpful and accurate. Also not a distraction I thought a watch would be. My only issue is subscription fees. I guess I get it if you want stats and shot tracking and all that (even though there are/will be non subscription based competitions) but if you just want it for gps to more than center of green I feel like it should have no fees considering the myriad of options out there. Just my opinion though. I actually almost got rid of the watch because of this but figured I would use up my complimentary subscription first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only issue is subscription fees. I guess I get it if you want stats and shot tracking and all that (even though there are/will be non subscription based competitions) but if you just want it for gps to more than center of green I feel like it should have no fees considering the myriad of options out there. Just my opinion though.

LINX GT has a Go Play (zero dollar) membership option, which provides basic FCB distances. And like I mentioned previously, the LINX GT provides the same level of accuracy with and without a membership. 

• Like 2

LINX GT has a Go Play (zero dollar) membership option, which provides basic FCB distances. And like I mentioned previously, the LINX GT provides the same level of accuracy with and without a membership. 

this is good to hear, I had misread the website and thought the free membership just gave center of green.  thanks for correcting/clarifying.

However, on the 8th hole is where the problems started. (Could of happened on a previous hole and didn't notice) Anyways, I was in the green side rough, maybe 20 feet from the hole. Two reasons I didn't look down at my watch. One, I'm close enough to see how far I am and two, when you're this close to the green, the watch is usually in green mode and doesn't even show yardages.

So, I proceeded to hit my chip, walked to my ball and right before I swiped my putter, I caught a glimpse of my watch. It was on hole #9. My chip registered on the next hole. So, not only hole 8 wrong, but 9 as well and I haven't even made it to the tee box yet. I know what you're thinking. My golf changed the hole on me again. Nope. I didn't wear gloves today. Just the hinge of my wrist did it. 

Now, I can't take my eye off the watch for a second. I don't want to worry about it changing holes all the time.

Over the next four holes, it did this several times, so more shots are track on the wrong holes. Yes, I was suppose to be watching. So, not my score and everything else is all messed up. I finished playing and synced to the app and it actually worked good. Except you my scores were wrong and I tee off hole #9 with a lob wedge. It's a par 5 by the way.

I can see why this may cause confusion. The Auto Hole Advance system was originally designed to make sure you always have the distance number you need. For example, once you're on the green of hole 1, you no longer need distances on hole 1, so Auto Hole Advance moves you to hole 2. 

Even if the LINX GT auto advances before you're finished with the hole, your shots should still show up correctly. For example, if you're on hole 1 green, the LINX GT advances to hole 2, and you tag your Putter, your Putter should still show up on hole 1 green. 

The only time your shot may show up on the wrong hole is if you hit onto a different hole (i.e. fairway of a different hole). But in most cases the system moves the shot back to the right hole after you finish the hole. 

• Like 1

Tons of hard work went on with this testing and I appreciate the knowledge that can be gained from your reviews.  I'm a simple minded man and it sounds like this product has potential however I don't need the fancy apps.  Every senior that I play with at my home course has a watch without the app feature and that's all we care for. 

• Like 4

Haven't played in a couple weeks but have a tee time in the morning and will be using this in dark mode.

• Like 1

played today in dark mode and just tagged my shots.  finished the round, saved the round on the watch and then did bluetooth sync on my way home.  now it shows I played today and the correct course but there is no score or shot information online.  I used the usb to sync and still nothing.  I can go on my watch and it wants me to resume my round.  so I did that but of course I'm too far away now.  I tried saving a few more times but there is nothing.  looked for saved rounds on the watch and it says no rounds saved.  Its like the watch hasnt recognized my round is over and wants me to keep playing (which I would love to do)

I have no idea how to get my round data from today, which just so happened to be one of the best rounds I have ever played, lol.

Haven't played in a couple weeks but have a tee time in the morning and will be using this in dark mode.

What's dark mode?

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

What's dark mode?

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

When you use the watch without the phone app running as well

• Like 1

It sounds like the shots didn't upload during the sync process with CaddieSync Express. Not sure why but the shots should still be saved on your watch. I would try syncing again or sync with the SkyCaddie Mobile app.

I have synced with caddie sync express twice and synced via Bluetooth with the mobile app twice and no scores or shots are showing online.

Used the watch and app yesterday for the first time in three weeks...thanks Harvey for wrecking golf courses in the Houston area. My game was rusty but the watch and app were great except for one par three. It didn't register a shot on the green and thought I hit my tee shot to the next tee box. Nothing like a 198 yard PW to record on the app. Easily fixed the shot in the app and moved on. I do like how the watch and app will sync regularly through the round so I can play 4-5 holes and then go back and edit if need be. 

I don't know if I would ever use the 'dark mode' simply because my phone will always be in the golf cart streaming Pandora during the round. Why not have Pandora and the SkyCaddie app up and running at the same time? Pandora and SkyCaddie drained about 35% of my battery during the 3.5 hour round. Not too bad, especially on an older iPhone 6. 

I spend 15-20 minutes after each round analyzing the data from the round. I'm not concerned about distances so much but more where I'm missing greens and fairways. I keep telling myself that my miss on drives is the left rough but two out of every three fairway misses are to the right. Same with GIR. 

Side note: I've learned to wear the watch daily. I normally don't wear a watch at work, but my boss knows that if she sees me wearing the watch, she knows I've got a tee time that afternoon. Clever girl. 

• Like 3

last week the watch split my round into a 14 hole round and a 4 hole round.  this week, it only synced the back nine.  I have emailed Nathan and he is going to look into it but I'm not having much luck with the sync here lately.  I can kind of understand the splitting of the round because the course i play is 36 holes and the course wind within each other, but then again I always make sure the watch is on the correct hole before I tag my shot.

I have been playing in black box mode where I do not use the iphone app while playing.  I already have another app i use for handicap and dont want to enter my score on two apps while on the course.  Hopefully they get this fixed. 

On a side note I love this thing for a gps device.  I sold my laser rangefinder and use this exclusively for distances.   

I used it as a GPS device yesterday for our family outing. It works great for that but the battery life is still bad. I'll have to charge it before I play again.

TBH, I can see myself giving this one away to another member on here if they want it, but I'll leave that for a later date.

I can see why this may cause confusion. The Auto Hole Advance system was originally designed to make sure you always have the distance number you need. For example, once you're on the green of hole 1, you no longer need distances on hole 1, so Auto Hole Advance moves you to hole 2.

Even if the LINX GT auto advances before you're finished with the hole, your shots should still show up correctly. For example, if you're on hole 1 green, the LINX GT advances to hole 2, and you tag your Putter, your Putter should still show up on hole 1 green.

The only time your shot may show up on the wrong hole is if you hit onto a different hole (i.e. fairway of a different hole). But in most cases the system moves the shot back to the right hole after you finish the hole.

It did not do that. It register on the next hole. The watch had advanced to the next hole on my previous shot when I hinged my wrist and hit the button on the watch. I did not notice this since I didn't need a distance for my chip shot. So, it registered on the wrong/next hole. Their was no confusion.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

last week the watch split my round into a 14 hole round and a 4 hole round. this week, it only synced the back nine. I have emailed Nathan and he is going to look into it but I'm not having much luck with the sync here lately. I can kind of understand the splitting of the round because the course i play is 36 holes and the course wind within each other, but then again I always make sure the watch is on the correct hole before I tag my shot.

I have been playing in black box mode where I do not use the iphone app while playing. I already have another app i use for handicap and dont want to enter my score on two apps while on the course. Hopefully they get this fixed.

On a side note I love this thing for a gps device. I sold my laser rangefinder and use this exclusively for distances.

I've actually stopped using my rangefinder completely as well. Having the front, middle and back has been much better for me. Although I wish the part where it gives distances to hazards would work better. Not very good on par 5's for me unfortunately.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1