GolfSpy Barbajo

Official Forum Member Review - Sky Caddie Linx GT GPS Watch & Shot Tracking System

Played in a couple scrambles this week and used the watch for distances and a few times to measure drives. It got some compliments from some playing partners. Both times we had guys with lasers with us and I had my distance before they did most of the time and my planned distance was mostly spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I played two rounds in Denver on October 7th and 8th.

I played Murphy Creek on the 7th and had a few issues with the app not syncing properly. It would record my shot but it wouldn't register the club tags. The watch would read the tag but when I went into the app to see my stats midway through the round, there were probably a dozen shots that didn't register the club hit. It didn't take much for me to go in and adjust that information, but it was the first round in awhile that I noticed a significant bug. 

I played Riverdale - Dunes Course on the 8th and didn't have any issues whatsoever. Everything from the GPS to the shot tagging to the recording of data went smoothly. 

• Like 1

Does the watch give an indicator of your connection? I wonder if certain courses in scarcer coverage areas will have more more prone to recording problems than others.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Anyone have issues with the gps distance going a bit crazy if it's really windy? It's happened to me a couple rounds now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Does the watch give an indicator of your connection? I wonder if certain courses in scarcer coverage areas will have more more prone to recording problems than others.

I thought maybe my location would play a part but both rounds had excellent cell service via verizon. Both courses were rather open with hardly any trees to block signal. But just because I had signal doesn't mean it was a quality signal. Who knows. 

Anyone have issues with the gps distance going a bit crazy if it's really windy? It's happened to me a couple rounds now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I haven't had those issues but if the wind gets too bad, I don't even play. 

There is a bar at the top of the watch face that shows the god signal strength yes

Played in the piney woods north of Houston today and no problems to speak of. I finally turned off the vibrate notification function on the watch after I nearly hit a TPX5 in the water because my wife thought it would be fun to text me mid-swing to let me know she was going to Target. Almost had to call the marriage counselor for that one. 

I still find this watch to be most valuable for courses I don't play that often. A laser won't tell me how far it is to the water that's over the hill but the watch sure can! I also enjoy the stat tracking. I never knew my 2 hybrid and 3 hybrid only had about 10 yards difference between the two. I can kick one out of the bag in favor for another wedge. Thanks technology!

• Like 2

I've had GPS issues with the watch and connection issues. I really enjoy the shot tracking but with all the issues it's frustrating.

The watch does not mention how good the connection is. It will tell you when it's paired with the phone app.

just used caddiesync express to add my round from yesterday.  I used "blackbox" mode and I actually quit tagging shots pretty early in the round.  I dont want to use the app during my round and I though I would rely on the autoshot feature as I just wanted distances and I wanted to just play golf. Website shows a score for 3 holes and shows no recorded shots. I have come to terms with the fact that the shot tracking stuff just simply doesn't work unless you use the app while you are playing.  seeing my shots post round and seeing my average distances for clubs was pretty neat int he beginning but the extra work and frustration required to get all that info correct far outweighs my desire to see that info.

As I have said before, I absolutely love this as a gps and I will continue to use it each time I play.  However, I believe it is time to remove the tags from my clubs and quit fooling around with the tagging, syncing, correcting, etc. etc.

I am very grateful to MGS and SkyCaddie for letting me test this, it is going to be a huge on course help for as long as it keeps ticking...

• Like 3

I haven't used the watch in almost 3 weeks now. As expected, I misplaced the connector piece to charge it. SkyCaddy has always had proprietary connectors and it's as bad an idea now as it was 8 years ago.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

This past round was the first time I had a significant issue with the watch syncing up to the app. It seemed as if the watch couldn't connect to the app and even though I was tagging shots, nothing would appear on my app. It would say: connecting device... But nothing would update in the app. It only recorded my first few holes but then it won't show any data for the last 13 holes. Frustrating solely because I like the GPS and data tracking. I'll get back out there and try again soon.

Anyone else having these issues? Is it the new iOs update? Is it the fact I had another device connected on Bluetooth?

• Like 1

This past round was the first time I had a significant issue with the watch syncing up to the app. It seemed as if the watch couldn't connect to the app and even though I was tagging shots, nothing would appear on my app. It would say: connecting device... But nothing would update in the app. It only recorded my first few holes but then it won't show any data for the last 13 holes. Frustrating solely because I like the GPS and data tracking. I'll get back out there and try again soon.

Anyone else having these issues? Is it the new iOs update? Is it the fact I had another device connected on Bluetooth?

Not sure what the issues are, but I had these issues before the iOs update.

Last round of the season tomorrow...I️ will still be using this.

I played yesterday and the watch refuses to connect to my phone. It's beyond frustrating. I really enjoyed the stat tracking when I played with the app running. Now it won't connect to my phone and thus, the shot tracking can only be done by connecting the watch to the laptop and uploading manually. That isn't always ideal. 

I don't know if the SkyCaddie person is still on this thread, but if so, what do you recommend to get the phone to connect? I tried a hard reset by pressing and holding the four buttons. I turned off bluetooth on the phone and then back on. I tried 'forgetting the device' under my iphone settings and now it won't even read the watch. Thoughts? Ideas?

I played yesterday and the watch refuses to connect to my phone. It's beyond frustrating. I really enjoyed the stat tracking when I played with the app running. Now it won't connect to my phone and thus, the shot tracking can only be done by connecting the watch to the laptop and uploading manually. That isn't always ideal. 

I don't know if the SkyCaddie person is still on this thread, but if so, what do you recommend to get the phone to connect? I tried a hard reset by pressing and holding the four buttons. I turned off bluetooth on the phone and then back on. I tried 'forgetting the device' under my iphone settings and now it won't even read the watch. Thoughts? Ideas?

Do a 4-button reset. Press and hold the 4 corner buttons until the watch resets (1-2 seconds). This should resolve the issue. 

• Like 1

Do a 4-button reset. Press and hold the 4 corner buttons until the watch resets (1-2 seconds). This should resolve the issue. 

He did that:

I tried a hard reset by pressing and holding the four buttons.

He did that:

MattF - Thanks, I read his message to quick :)  

txgolfjunkie - Forgetting the LINX GT in the iPhone Settings app (not just the SCM app) should have resolved it. I'll follow up with you to resolve the issue. We can post the resolution back in the forum. 

• Like 1

I will be playing again on Black Friday.  I just checked the watch and app and I am going to give this a run and see if any improvements have been made.  I am hopeful that there have been updates.

I discovered that if you do the 4 button reset and forget the device on your iphone, you have to connect the watch through the app, not the iphone settings. Nathan and I talked briefly this afternoon about getting the watch to connect and sure enough, connecting it through the app got it to work right away. 

This watch/club tags/app has been critical in my improved play over the last 6 months. I'm glad it's back up and running. Now time to go play some golf over Thanksgiving break. 

Thanks Nathan! 

• Like 2

I discovered that if you do the 4 button reset and forget the device on your iphone, you have to connect the watch through the app, not the iphone settings. Nathan and I talked briefly this afternoon about getting the watch to connect and sure enough, connecting it through the app got it to work right away.

This watch/club tags/app has been critical in my improved play over the last 6 months. I'm glad it's back up and running. Now time to go play some golf over Thanksgiving break.

Thanks Nathan!

At least you were able to get it fixed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app