Rphall003

Putting on the wrong side of the ball

I've been struggling with my putting for the better part of two years now. Could shave several strokes off my game if I could be a little more consistent. After spending a few hours on the practice green with another set of eyes watching I said I wonder if I could put left handed as I stroked the ball with the back side of my putter...plop!! I made more and had better distance and line control lefty than I ever had righty! Anyone else had similar experience?!?

- Rhino

Lefty here, and every time I visit golf shops and test new putters the lefty selection is always limited. This leaves me testing them right handed, and for some odd reason, putting right handed feels so much better. Like you, distance and control is much more spot on.

Lefty here, and every time I visit golf shops and test new putters the lefty selection is always limited. This leaves me testing them right handed, and for some odd reason, putting right handed feels so much better. Like you, distance and control is much more spot on.

I have a friend who hits right handed and putts left handed. Good putter too!

• Like 2

Might be a good experiment to do on the course. Just for putting though. Could be an eye dominant issue too. Just because you are a Lefty doesn't mean your going to be right eye dominant or vice versa.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

I have a friend who hits right handed and putts left handed. Good putter too!

I've thought about switch hitting when it comes to putting, or at least trying it out. Might have to invest in a cheap right handed putter to fool around with.

• Like 1

Now that I think about it, I did this about 8 years ago. Picked up a ping right handed putter and tried it for a few rounds. I never felt comfortable with it and didn't see better stats so I went back putting left handed. My brother inherited that putter and putts better than me with it (he's a righty)!

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

I've thought about switch hitting when it comes to putting, or at least trying it out. Might have to invest in a cheap right handed putter to fool around with.

He claims it stopped the yips for him.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Might be a good experiment to do on the course. Just for putting though. Could be an eye dominant issue too. Just because you are a Lefty doesn't mean your going to be right eye dominant or vice versa.

MDGolfHacker

Yeah I'm willing to say eye dominance is one of my issues. I'm Righty left eye dominant. When I was tournament bow shooting I learned to shoot my right handed bow upside down to make it left handed...before I got a left handed bow...made a lot of difference.

- Rhino

• Like 1

Interesting. Have you alternately tried putting from your usual side but with your opposite hand low? (Left hand low for righties). For me I found this to work and feel better to me but perhaps not as drastic as putting opposite.

• Like 1

I have actually...I decided to burn the boat...I tried it for an entire season, left hand low I mean, with no switching back!! Completely committed and it made it marginally better but not by much...I was putting right hand low when I switched to lefty this afternoon.

Interesting. Have you alternately tried putting from your usual side but with your opposite hand low? (Left hand low for righties). For me I found this to work and feel better to me but perhaps not as drastic as putting opposite.

I found that helped out a lot as well. Had a real problem when I'd start towards the ball I'd pull the putter towards me a bit and hit the toe a lot. But going left hand low has made me a bit better and a hell of a lot more consistent with making good contact.

I also know a few guys who putt opposite from where they shoot.

Putting is such a personal thing though and that was just my 2 cents

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I also know a few guys who putt opposite from where they shoot.

Putting is such a personal thing though and that was just my 2 cents

It really is personal...an art form of sorts. I guess that's why there's so many different styles of putting and putters themselves. I guess it's time to burn the boat again and this "wrong side" putting a try!! I'm going fully committed and I'll stay in touch with results!!

- Rhino

• Like 1

I was having trouble batting when I played baseball. I learned to bat left (I'm right handed) first then learned right. I wonder if I should learn to putt left

• Like 1

Might not hurt...seems we are in a similar boat since I first learned to shoot my bow left handed once I learned I was left eye dominant!! It helped my a lot in that aspect!! If you do put lefty...write back and let me know what you find!!!

One of my golf buddies(retired and can't play due to COPD) played lefty but putted righty.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

As a lefty I have tried a putting righty, but it feels weird, short putts were good, but anything over 15 feet or so became very difficult to control distance.

Notah Begay used to putt both, for left to right putts he would putt left handed, and right to left putts he would putt right handed.

• Like 2

As a lefty I have tried a putting righty, but it feels weird, short putts were good, but anything over 15 feet or so became very difficult to control distance.

Notah Begay used to putt both, for left to right putts he would putt left handed, and right to left putts he would putt right handed.

This is what I'm worried about...not being able to control the longer puts. I'm going to practice on it for a bit before I fully commit but thanks for the heads up. Did you go back to lefty putting? Did swapping help you any with your original stroke?

- Rhino

As a lefty, I putt left handed.   I wonder if there is some sort of consistent factor when a right hander putts left hand low and just putting left handed.  

This is what I'm worried about...not being able to control the longer puts. I'm going to practice on it for a bit before I fully commit but thanks for the heads up. Did you go back to lefty putting? Did swapping help you any with your original stroke?

- Rhino

I never really putted for any length of time right handed, I could putt the short stuff pretty well, but had no control on anything that was over 15 feet, it was just awkward feeling. Maybe you could get an old left and right putter, and use your dominant hand for long putts and opposite Handed for short putts.

I own a left handed putter and practice with it for a while. I found that on short putts it performs well, not so much the distance control on longer putts for me. At that point the right hand shirt putt was giving me some problems, with the lefty it's all mechanic and technique not enough swing thought to spare. I was doing fine. Now I apply that to right hand and it works.