Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Charity scrambles and scores

Eseay32

Charity scrambles and work scrambles are a lot of fun, usually for a good cause and get you out of work....but the scores are always suspect. Trash makes a difference-throws, red tees, string, etc.

But just how much cheating is happening to win 1st in these? I play in a few a year, my teams always play pretty straight up using the trash that we have bought. Played in one today that the course was decently long, open, But long, par 3s were everywhere from 150-190. Greens were tough! Speed was good but they had some movement.

Bunch of 57s and 58s (par 72) only trash was 4 mulligans and 4 red tees per team and we shot 63. We probably had a legit 60-61 in us and that's it.

Just how much cheating is really going on?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Very possible a lot unfortunately. I've never gone to a charity scramble expecting to win. I go for a good cause, skins money, raffle prizes, and fun with my buddies. The guys who feel the need to win one by being unethical or cavalier with the rules are only hurting themselves mate.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Hard to say where the cheating is versus honest play at times when charities sell unlimited mulligans, but that's what the charity is there to do, make money for their cause. Now for tournaments, I try and enter ones that will be equally fair for all players. You'll still get the occasional sandbagger, but that's the rub of the game at times.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I guess it depends on the event, course, and participants. I don't have the flexibility to play in more than one or two per year. One is quite competitive and the quality of play at the other is quite loose. I just try (pretty easy!) to have a good time and hope I win some prizes and the 50/50!

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

I meant to say that I can't control or police other groups, so I put together the best, most fun foursome I can, make sure I make the brunch, have a Bloody Mary or two, and have as much fun as I can.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

Personally I think it's ridiculous that anybody would cheat at something like that just to win some charity/fundraising tournament.

Not gonna say cheating happens, but there's always a few really low scores from some weekend whackers at a tournament I do every year. If it wasn't for my mom being involved with the organization probably wouldn't play it every year

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Generally a lot. I play in a bunch of these for work and the highest cap in our foursome is a 2.3. Love shooting a 57 and losing to a group of 15 handicaps. Heck if you add the four caps in my normal group we don't hit 5 combined.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

In my experience with scrambles. First rule is you go into it with the mindset that it is for charity and cheaters gonna cheat.

Second rule is start off 6 under par to give yourself a chance to win lol

Try to have fun is my moto.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I played in one on Friday and our team played really well, sunk a lot of long putts and finished at 8 under. Of course, 14 under won.

Taking mulligans, gimmes, dropping in different cuts, I'm sure it all happens. I don't worry about it but instead just like hitting different shots and contributing to the team.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

I really enjoy our work tournaments, fun atmosphere and gets some co-workers out on the course for their one round that year. But I have also seen a couple of people become golfers as a result, so good for the game. Do some people cheat? Probably but can't control that so try not to worry about it too much and just have fun. Plus the cheating is not always intentional with those that don't play a lot.

One year we had a guy win the KP with his ball within a foot of the hole--he was so excited. When asked to recount his shot at the dinner afterwards he walked is through his his first shot ended up short and to the left but his second shot nearly chipped in and has just a foot out . When we explained to him that is not how KP works we all got a good laugh. He was a little embarrassed but ended up being one of the people that took up the game after that tournament.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I played in one on Friday and our team played really well, sunk a lot of long putts and finished at 8 under. Of course, 14 under won.

Taking mulligans, gimmes, dropping in different cuts, I'm sure it all happens. I don't worry about it but instead just like hitting different shots and contributing to the team.

Don't forget the six foot gimmes on every other hole :)

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I quit playing in scrambles a loooong time ago unless I want to contribute to the charity and like the people I play with.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

57 in that format is pretty regular it doesn't matter how long the course is. The suspect scores are the ones that are -20 or more. I played in a big one a few weeks ago, the winners shot 53. Only trash was 4 mulligans, I knew one of the player she in he group, and they didn't cheat. They had a couple former college players and a couple guys that hit it long. If someone comes in at 52 or lower I would call BS in those. If you get 4 really good scratch caps, really low scores are inevitable. I play in them for 1. Fun, 2. He money goes to someplace deserving. 3. Fun. If you go in thinking you will win, your there for the wrong reasons. It doesn't mean you don't try to win. It just means that you are there to support the charity. Winning should be an afterthought.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Oh JMikeCPA...is soooo spot on!!!

I could tell you guys stories for days.   This is my job, I run 150 of these a year.   I've seen scores from 45...YES 45 to 73 win them.   The 45 was last week, and the outing used a lot the gimmicks to raise funds.   There were three other scores in the 40's and just about everybody finished less than 61.    To me that wouldn't even be fun, it's not golf, if you dont have to make a putt.   just use your string, or throw it out of a bunker.    I think in addition to all the gimmicks there was some suspect scoring as well, and most everyone in the group knew which group was going to win before the card ever came in.  

Most of the winning scores range in the high 50's to low 60's if it's done with none very limited mulligans and no other gimmicks. 

In the end, if you have fun and get a day off work and help a charity raise some money for their cause, then it's a good day.  If your signing up to compete and hope to win, you will most likely come away disappointed.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• SPY VIP

My team went -12 last week and lost by 5 :(

Greens were about 2-3 weeks post punching so I have no idea how you putt your way to -17 on that course. We have a 330 yard bomber as our scramble "cheat". Scores go low when the team goes driver wedge or our ringer goes driver, 3w, made putt on par 5s.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I haven't played in a charity scramble but I did play in a 5-man city scramble and we went into it knowing we weren't gonna win, so we just drank our Bloody Mary's and beer and had a hell of a time.

Ended up carding a 67 (par 71) with some really tough pin placements and a couple chip in dunks, so it was a pretty good time.

I imagine there's always going to be those people that just want the glory of winning and will do anything to get it, but I just mind my own and play on.

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

My team went -12 last week and lost by 5 :(

Greens were about 2-3 weeks post punching so I have no idea how you putt your way to -17 on that course. We have a 330 yard bomber as our scramble "cheat". Scores go low when the team goes driver wedge or our ringer goes driver, 3w, made putt on par 5s.

That's crazy..

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

So much cheating.

I've loaded up with teams before and shot -20 and lost.

There was a -24 last year. Minus 2-4

/gullible_on

Six eagles can happen!

/gullible_off

This one is always a fun debate. I've played with D1 collegiate players on my team and we shot a 61 only to be bested by a 59 against guys that were so drunk, I watched two of them puke on the course. I play to support the causes I believe in with the mindset that I'm there to have a good time for a good cause. Cheating does happen a bit in these tournaments, it's unfortunate, but how can you really regulate it? Always suspect when a team goes low, but I've also been on the other end going low and explaining how good we had to play to shoot a 57 lol

Sent from my VS990 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: 10.5° XR with Aldila Rogue Silver 60

:cleveland-small:  15° HiBore XLS with Fujikura Gold

:titelist-small:  19° 913H with Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana S+

:titelist-small: 24° 913H with Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana S+

:ping-small:  5-PW Ping i25 with KBS Tour Stiff Steel

:ping-small:  50° Glide SS Wedge with CFS Wedge

:ping-small: 55° Glide SS Wedge (Back-Heel Combo Grind) with CFS Wedge

:ping-small:  60° Glide SS Wedge with CFS Wedge

:callaway-small:  Odyssey Works Tank Versa 2-Ball Fang

Golf Pride MCC Plus4 Grips +2" 

These events always wreak of cheating.And not falsifying score.But teams that take advantage of sand bagging handicaps.Some of these events have big payouts.And some (not all) will pad their handicaps all year to place well in these.

I pretty much go for the fun and the food.Some events I've attended had a four course meal after the event.

Keep it in the short stuff

I could see a lot at some of the ones I've played in. One of them my team came in with a true 59 (no lie I swear) and someone came in with 56 if memory serves. I can't confirm or deny their methods but I will almost guarantee y'all they paid the $100 for a hole in one on the first par 3, but they made the local pregnancy center better off so that ain't something I'll complain about.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

The only rule for these scrambles is that there will be cheating - let's face it.

I did used to play in a cool scramble that I've mentioned before.  It was a five man scramble for big money.  People came from good distances to play in it.  The rules were strict - your team had to have a handicap of 55 - if you had a pro on your team you couldn't have anyone else under a 10 - you could only have two single digit players without a pro - men played from the tips women played from either the red or the white tees depending upon their handicaps.  It was a two day event - no team could cash more than once, there were skins and it paid the top five scores with the sixth place team getting its money back.  There was a marker on every green who recorded and initialed your hole by hole score for you and handicap cards were required and checked for all prize winners.

Winning score was always 17 under (except one year when 16 won) and you needed to finish 15 and have some luck to cash in. 

This was not a charity event - from the years that I played in the thing the winning team was almost always made up of a woman who was a good athlete playing from the reds along with four guys that were right around 10's or a pro and the other players mid caps. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I just don't like scrambles in any form or for any cause.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I just don't like scrambles in any form or for any cause.

So, if you were going to arrange a golf fundraiser for a charity, what format would you suggest?

I think scrambles are the de facto format because the pace is good and poor players can participate with less self-consciousness about their game.

No question Rich.

Most people like them. I just don't play in them is all.

To answer your question... It would be a weekend tournament. Anything other than a scramble.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Yesterday, at a senior association outing, one of my partners from another club suggested that we just have a good time, because we ain't gonna win.   He said I will bet $100 for $1, that a certain member of his club will be on the winning team.  He said this guy always wins and is always the scorekeeper.   Sure enough, that guy was on the winning team.   Believe me, the prizes are nothing to write home about, at best it will be club house credits that may get you a couple of sleeves of balls or a new glove.  I guess some people need to find a way to accommodate their lack of self esteem.  Thing is, if you play often with the same people, everybody knows what you are doing. 

My work has a lot of different associations that have scrambles during the year.  There is no doubt cheating goes on but its mostly just for fun anyways.  One year for longest drive they were giving away a TM R11s and I hit the best drive all day on that hole only to be beat out with someone a few groups behind me.  Later that year at another tournament I had the longest drive with 3-4 groups behind us.  The same guy was 2 groups behind us so we got to see where his ball went.  He was about 5-10 yards short of the marker but low and behold when we got in he was awarded the long drive once again.

One year in an out of town scramble we played in for one of the associations we were one of the first groups in and a guy from a group who got in before us was standing at the door asking everyone what they shot.  This same group were the last to turn in their scorecards, guess who won the tournament?  lol

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

I play a lot of these for work. Tons of cheating in all of them. Its so sad but its true

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Archived