TESTERS WANTED! ×

Getting back on track mid round

wheels_came_off_400_clr_6906.png

Things started well yesterday then the wheels started to come off.  It wasn't all of a sudden, more like the wheel lost a couple lug nuts, started to shimmy and shake and then just came flying off.

Question to you guys - what do you do if things start to go haywire mid round - if anything?

shorter backswing, grip adjustment, stop using a particular club, switch balls, hit-and-hope, something else??

Love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

This happens to me usually on holes 5, 6, 7 & 8. Sometimes 9, but I have to change my attack for the back 9 anyways, the lay out is different. Not sure what happens, but it destroys my round.

I think I get more aggressive on those holes, and the back makes me play more conservatively.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

When my full swing starts to fail me. I have some go to swings that give me less distance, but make it easier to hit the ball straight and control the ball. It's kind of like my knock down swing and I will go to it when start to go awry. In the last year, I've spent a ton of time at the range working on my swing and trying different things, so when I start to do something wrong, I think back to things I've worked on at the range and I can usually figure out what's causing my issue. 

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I just have to take a deep breath, and remember it's just a game

Couple rounds ago, I started Triple Triple......hadn't probably done that in 20 years.......I wanted to head to the parking lot and go home.....but I just took a deep breath, and an extra minute on the next tee, composed myself, and played pretty decent the rest of the way

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I think I get into this mental time warp and it's like descending into a black hole.

Instead of just acting I start reacting and get all sorts of thoughts racing through my head - alignment, hips, clubface in backswing, rotate hips, stay behind the ball, swing up, swing down, don't sway, blah, blah, blah...

Maybe I should just wear headphones and listen to music while I play???

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Well I'm fortunate that I don't really ever have the wheels fall off. I play really conservative by nature and play to make bogey at the worst. Now with that said, if I make a bogey I always do a quick check as to where the wasted stroke was. If I have a couple rough holes in a row, I will utilize the next hole to take a really safe approach. Usually my bad scores are the result of a misjudged approach shot that shortsides myself. So a lot of times after that I play really conservative to the correct miss side.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Few weeks ago, I took a triple bogey on the second hole I was on. Just went granular and focused on the one shot at a time thought instead of pressing on the thought that the triple was a round wrecker. While I still threw a few bogeys up I also threw a bird up too. Take a deep breath and hit your next shot.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I used to get in the mindset that once I had a bad hole, the rest of the round would go south from there. I try to leave all the bad shots in the past and focus on my score on the current hole, and not overall. If I tell myself I have to get a birdie, I usually end up getting a bogey or double bogey. Just relax and focus on the shot at hand and nothing else.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I always seem to have one or two bad holes a round. It is something where I'm not a great golfer and should be more taking lessons it is bound to happen.

Usually after that bad hole I try to relax and remember that I'm out to enjoy playing and be outside (hopefully in the sun) and more times then not that will help get me back on track.

Somehow I find it very hard to not enjoy golfing even if I'm playing terrible. One good shot and all the confidence comes back. Plus there are always more good rounds and more good shots to come down the road!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

First thing I always do is step back and remind myself there's no reason I can't save the round. Next I'll change my game plan (target lines etc.) based on what's going on and then be mindful of a few checkpoints in my swing.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Sometimes I just change balls, I use the truvis mostly, so if I am having isssues with the yellow and black I switch to the red and white, or if I am using a yellow ball I will just switch to white. Sometimes just a small change like that can change the perception of something in your minds

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I tend to be a slow starter on the course. Its usually around 7 or 8 I start really going. I find that it is more about finding my rhythm out there. I know that should be done on the range and during warm up but silly me it takes a little while longer 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I tend to be a slow starter on the course. Its usually around 7 or 8 I start really going. I find that it is more about finding my rhythm out there. I know that should be done on the range and during warm up but silly me it takes a little while longer 

funny you should say that.  I was playing last Monday and noticed after the 6th hole that I started finding my groove.

I didn't go to the range before and played right out of the parking lot but still... I see what you mean.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

attachicon.gifwheels_came_off_400_clr_6906.png

Things started well yesterday then the wheels started to come off. It wasn't all of a sudden, more like the wheel lost a couple lug nuts, started to shimmy and shake and then just came flying off.

Question to you guys - what do you do if things start to go haywire mid round - if anything?

shorter backswing, grip adjustment, stop using a particular club, switch balls, hit-and-hope, something else??

Love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks...

What a great thread. The wheels came off my game on Tuesday morning and I didn't recover. Hope to learn some good tips here.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

something you might try that helped me with that same problem is playing the first few holes of the course (or a course you know well) on the range during warmup. Pick a target and hit the club you would use off the first tee and go from there. If you would've missed the fairway hit whatever recovery you normally would and so on. It takes a little extra time but I can say from experience it works. And above all have fun!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

something you might try that helped me with that same problem is playing the first few holes of the course (or a course you know well) on the range during warmup. Pick a target and hit the club you would use off the first tee and go from there. If you would've missed the fairway hit whatever recovery you normally would and so on. It takes a little extra time but I can say from experience it works. And above all have fun!

Man all great tips. I played college and was an okay player. Didn't embarrass myself but wasn't a winner. I tend to warm up pretty good on the range and my last few swings will usually be my first 3 tee shots, But I like the idea of playing the recovery or second shot! 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Man all great tips. I played college and was an okay player. Didn't embarrass myself but wasn't a winner. I tend to warm up pretty good on the range and my last few swings will usually be my first 3 tee shots, But I like the idea of playing the recovery or second shot!

I go all the way to pitch shots and move on to the next tee when I feel I've hit the green. It's one of my favorites on a tournament warmup to get in a comfort zone at an unfamiliar course.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

I've learned what not to do.  If I try to "fix" my swing mid round, it leads down the rabbit hole of despair, disgust and disillusionment.  E.g., I took it back inside on that last swing, I need to go back on plane this time...caught that one a little thin, I need to hit down on the ball...I push-sliced that one, I need to close the club face more....

This year I have started using Shawn Clement's suggestion for on course evaluation.  When I hit a shot, I evaluate it based on RIBS: rhythm, impact, balance and strain.  "I was a bit fast on that one, which caused me to get off balance, but the strain level was OK, impact was maybe a little thin."  That's it.  Shots over, move on and concentrate on the target for next shot.  It works for me.  No more fiddling with my swing.  It fees me up to play golf instead of golf swig.  If I'm way off somehow, I may do a drill to get the feel back in my swing.  

Albeit, I did have a particularly bad round going about a month ago.  I stunk up the front nine.  Nothing was going right.  Starting with my tee shot on 11, I hit every shot with my feet together.  (A drill I do religiously on the range.)  Two holes later my playing partners asked why I didn't play with my feet together all the time.  I turned a bad round in to a very good back nine.  Fortunately, I haven't had to go to that extreme in the past month.    

Merely acknowledging that you're going through some terrible stretch of golf is a big problem. It has already been mentioned but I'll say it again; golf is best played with a very short memory. The game is already hard enough when you remain in the moment.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I started out playing well, and today was a rainy windy day. It started falling apart on the 4th Tee box. Had to take penalty on my drive, I just stopped being able to chip and putt.

Was so thankful for the rainout today.

I wish I had an answer

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I started out playing well, and today was a rainy windy day. It started falling apart on the 4th Tee box. Had to take penalty on my drive, I just stopped being able to chip and putt.

Was so thankful for the rainout today.

I wish I had an answer

It's called golf bruther . It beats us all like a drum now and then . Hang in there and the good stuff will return

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I'm just gonna screenshot this thread and make sure to look at it during every round haha I always catch myself playing with the past in mind and trying to save the next hole. I just try to slow it down and take it one stroke at a time, I'm just out there to have a good time and spend time with friends.

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

The common thread here is to play the shot in front of you.

The shot that got you there, or the previous hole that went wrong, can't be changed.

And you can't put pressure on yourself to make up for bad shots - that is where you start to tumble down the rabbit hole!

The common thread here is to play the shot in front of you.

The shot that got you there, or the previous hole that went wrong, can't be changed.

And you can't put pressure on yourself to make up for bad shots - that is where you start to tumble down the rabbit hole!

Them big ole jack rabbits will bite yo arse too

Cleveland

Merely acknowledging that you're going through some terrible stretch of golf is a big problem. It has already been mentioned but I'll say it again; golf is best played with a very short memory. The game is already hard enough when you remain in the moment.

I will remember this tomorrow. I've been playing so poorly the past few weeks. I'm just going to go out and play and forget about it.

I will remember this tomorrow. I've been playing so poorly the past few weeks. I'm just going to go out and play and forget about it.

Now ya cooking with Crisco

Cleveland

Archived