TESTERS WANTED! ×

Most "interesting" character you've met on the course

dang3rtown

Inspired by another thread; I think we've all been paired up with some colorful people on the course. Which of them stands out to you!

I'll go first (and could go second, third and fourth!), the most interesting person I ever played with was a retired, competitive body builder. This was about ten years ago but I'll never forget it. He wasn't super tall, maybe 5'8 or 5'9 but he was massive. Easily weighed 300lbs and hit the ball a mile. He also had enormous breasts. Talking to him, he said he had been a pro body builder, won some national level competitions and had used an obscene amount of drugs throughout his career. He currently was on all kinds of hormones because his body was screwed up and didn't produce them properly anymore. He had gynomastica, female lie breast growth which was caused by steroid side effects. This guy loved to talk and told me all kinds of crazy body building stories the entire time.  Bodybuilders are weird people man. Since retiring from bodybuilding, he had received his teaching credential and was working as a kindergarten teacher.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Inspired by another thread; I think we've all been paired up with some colorful people on the course. Which of them stands out to you!

I'll go first (and could go second, third and fourth!), the most interesting person I ever played with was a retired, competitive body builder. This was about ten years ago but I'll never forget it. He wasn't super tall, maybe 5'8 or 5'9 but he was massive. Easily weighed 300lbs and hit the ball a mile. He also had enormous breasts. Talking to him, he said he had been a pro body builder, won some national level competitions and had used an obscene amount of drugs throughout his career. He currently was on all kinds of hormones because his body was screwed up and didn't produce them properly anymore. He had gynomastica, female lie breast growth which was caused by steroid side effects. This guy loved to talk and told me all kinds of crazy body building stories the entire time.  Bodybuilders are weird people man. Since retiring from bodybuilding, he had received his teaching credential and was working as a kindergarten teacher.

I can just here one of his students now.   "Mr. Smith, you have bigger boobs than my mom"   LOL  you know kids, they say what's on their minds...ha

That's some crazy stuff.   I'll have to think who has been my "most interesting character"  One comes to mind right away, but i'll have to see if anyone I can remember tops him. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• SPY VIP

Got paired up with a single wearing sweats tucked into his tube socks. He spent the whole round telling my buddy that he had equine grace and he should know because he used to judge horses. Creepy AF

Would not have been shocked if the guy asked us to put the lotion in the basket.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

His name was Robert Paulson...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

His name was Robert Paulson...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

I walked on at a local course that no longer exists.. this was about 8-9 years ago... 

9 hole nothing fancy, but it was golf.. Get paired up with these two guys.. one mid 20's and one mid to late 50's.. THe older gentalman big man(a little overweight But just big.).. the younger one was his daughters boyfriend, nervous.. both driking beers out of their bags.. 

at the green for Hole number 3, mind you were are only 40 min into our round.. He YELLS "Montana Rules, Wiz where ya is..." steps off the green and pees.. 

Hole 4 is a par 3 farthest away from the clubhouse. Kinda outta site.. Again he Yells his Motto,, Steps off the green and pees.. once done proclaims he's thirsty, grabs another beer.. Steps back onto the green Yells "thats a gimmee" and picks up his ball.. 

The gimme's continue every hole.. If it's within a club length its good.. and peeing every other hole.. it was the most comical thing.. the kid wanted to die.. 

It still cracks me up.. after we finished 9 the kid went to the clubhouse the older guy looks at me laughs and asked if I think the kid will ever play again?  Cause he wants his golf time back, without Company.. i had to smile.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Interesting character #2, in a foursome, I was in a cart wth a retired US Army General. He gave me so much insight into the challenges the military faces that it gave me a whole different perspective into our military leadership. I learned that for the most part, the top military brass are fairly apolitical and the biggest threat to the US military is corporate America. Basically, the big issue the Armed forces have is retention of officers. As soon as academy graduates have done their mandated time, fortune 500 companies scoop them up and pay them far more than the military can. The leadership skills and managerial experience gained in the military is unrivaled and it is highly valued by these private companies. As a result, we are developing fewer great leaders in our armed forces. 

I learned all this from playing a game with sticks!

YELLS "Montana Rules, Wiz where ya is..." steps off the green and pees.. 

LOL!!! I'm using this next time out!!!

At our conference championship in 2008 at Champions Gate in Orlando I ran into two interesting people within about 5mins of each other.

First one I had just finished my round and sat down in their restaurant at the bar to eat. Guy next to me says "is there a tourney today or what?" So we start small talking. I asked him what he does.

He pauses for a second... says "well I'm a lawyer by day." Ummm okay, what about at night?

He says "im a college basketball ref." Mind you I'm a huge Pitt and back then Big East fan. I say I know you, your name is Brent!!! My teammate next to me was like nooooo pleaseeee donttttt! So after he confirmed his identity to me I said I got something I gotta get off my chest. Your counterparts (2 other officials) Tim Higgins and Jim Burr are so fucking terrible.

He laughed and said he gets that from time to time haha.

He shared some stories with me and some behind The scenes of college hoops with me as we finished our lunch.

So then I walk to to the range at Champions Gate and see my coaches and other teammates huddled around this guy in knickers blasting drivers out of sight. It's 95+ degrees and guy is full costume. He had a big personality. Kinda cooky, but fun. He was an old long drive guy and hit shots off his knees, one handed left hand, one handed right hand. He gave us all kind of advice about controlling the club face. Then he watched my longest teammate hit shots against him. He ended up giving him his titleist driver to play with some astonishingly expensive shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I played with a retired High Court judge once who was hilarious. He had loads of stories of criminals who had crossed his path over the years and the kind of sentencing he gave depending on his mood.

He jokingly sentenced me to death by hanging when I beat him 2&1.

Ok, so my most interesting character was a single that was paired up with me and a buddy about 10 years or so ago.

He seemed like a nice of enough guy on the first tee, but it became quickly obvious that he was a bit odd.   Not really in a horrible way, but overly talkative, talked very fast, kind of jumped around a lot and had a goofy laugh.

After a few holes, my buddy looks at me and says, "Doesn't he look a lot like Fire Marshall Bill (for you too young to know https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6BcdGjQ1fE who I mean :)

I looked and cracked up laughing.  So it went on for a few holes, and we laughed at some of his antics.

After 9 holes,he said he had to leave to get to work.  My buddy, say's you got the evening shift at the Fire House?   He looked at him strange and said, "yeah, I do, but how did you know I was a fireman.  I hadn't said anything about it"...... My buddy said, no you're not??  He said yeah, I am and told us the station and all.  

We were laughing so hard we couldn't hit a straight shot for five holes.   

The actual Woody Harrelson.At a local public course by my home.I remember on the first tee how familiar he looked. Half way thru the round his smile-speech and laugh clicked.He told me his name was Tracy on the first tee? I asked his partner mid round how he reminds me of Woody Harrelson.He looked at me and laughed and said that is him.His partner told me to keep it between our foursome as he enjoys his privacy.Found out he was visiting a very sick relative in the area between a movie shoot.Just an all around great guy.

(Edit) the unusual thing about him was his love of 70's movies.He would rattle off all the famous lines and add his own twist.I found this odd, since he was so young at the time.He was like an archive of all old movie quotes all round.A very talented "everyday type" of guy.I know it was only met him for a round of golf.But been a big fan of his ever since

Keep it in the short stuff

15-20 years ago at muni course I joined up what become a 4some, one guy, 2some and I. The guy was hitting poorly, he was using an old sets of blades and persimmon woods, old clubs but brand new grips. He snapped hook almost every shots then start cussing, it started to affect the rest of us.

Then the 2some tried to put a stop to it, it just got worse, soon they were heckling back and forth. Then the 2some said wanna put the the money when your mouth is? The starting the back nine they start betting. Next thing you know the guy just flipped the switch and hits the most solid shots one after another and sinks long putting. Ah! I got it. That the first hustler I've seen on the course in person.

He could have been more subtle but it was so in your face that I couldn't help but smile how he lured the suckers. A month later, we got paired together, just the 2 of us, he asked if I wanted to play a friendly skin, I said not thanks.

When I was working at one of the local golf courses, was also working at a club at night.  Neil McCoy was playing a concert at the club so I got him and his band to come play golf at the course I was working.  I got to play with him and his band and later that evening went to the concert.  About a year later went to a concert of his at a different venue and afterwards went back stage.  After the show went with his band out drinking.  That was quite a fun evening  :D

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

I was playing a practice round with 2 college teammates at Cedar Creek in San Antonio. We are standing on #9 tee (our last hole of the day) when a single walks up and asks to play the last hole with us. We all play the hole together, shake hands and turn toward the clubhouse. I turn around a moment later to chat with the stranger but he was gone. Except there is seriously nowhere for him to have vanished. The 3 of us look at each other and my buddy says "Where did he go?". I reply "Seriously, did he fall in the water hazard or something?". We look everywhere starting with the water hazard, no sign of him anywhere. We were seriously confused so I tell the guy in the Pro Shop about the stranger's disappearing act and he tells me the description sounds just like a regular who died after being struck by lightning on that hole the previous Summer. Hand to God, I have no better explanation than we played #9 with a dead guy.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I was playing a practice round with 2 college teammates at Cedar Creek in San Antonio. We are standing on #9 tee (our last hole of the day) when a single walks up and asks to play the last hole with us. We all play the hole together, shake hands and turn toward the clubhouse. I turn around a moment later to chat with the stranger but he was gone. Except there is seriously nowhere for him to have vanished. The 3 of us look at each other and my buddy says "Where did he go?". I reply "Seriously, did he fall in the water hazard or something?". We look everywhere starting with the water hazard, no sign of him anywhere. We were seriously confused so I tell the guy in the Pro Shop about the stranger's disappearing act and he tells me the description sounds just like a regular who died after being struck by lightning on that hole the previous Summer. Hand to God, I have no better explanation than we played #9 with a dead guy.

Now that's frigging cool right there dude! Ya'll weren't drinking stump liquor were ya?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

That's cool and scary all at the same time.

Did he at least leave his clubs behind for you to grab. Ha

Now that's frigging cool right there dude! Ya'll weren't drinking stunk liquor were ya?

That's cool and scary all at the same time.

Did he at least leave his clubs behind for you to grab. Ha

There was no booze involved beforehand but we all needed one afterward. And there was zero trace of him, equipment or otherwise. For weeks after it happened I tried to rectify the disappearing man by forcing this weird moral dilemma on myself that assumed the stranger who joined us for one hole had somehow slipped silently into the greenside pond and drowned when his bag full of clubs dragged him to the bottom; all without any of us noticing. Bizarre right? I hadn't actually thought about that day for a really long time. I'm pretty obsessed with logic, but much as tried, I never came up with any reasonable answers for what we witnessed that day. Had some serious goose bumps reliving that incident penning the prior post.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

@downlowkey 

A few years ago, we were at some friends in Eastern Washington, Small town, School is 1 building for ALL grades..  just hangin out... My buddy John introduced me to another friend that lived there, Dennis, Great guy.. He had taken the club building course through Golfsmith and lived on the local course, 1st fairway.. couple months later we are back, played golf with John and Dennis, went to the Bar played some golden tee.. Dennis say's come up to the house and I'll show you my shop. so after a few beers and golden tee we head to his house.. from outside his shop, we were hitting balls across the 1st fairway with a few clubs he had built.. planed on playing the next morning. Middle of the night the Town Fire alarm goes off, we think nothing about it.. get up the next morning and Dennis's wife calls, he had past in the night..2 week later was his memorial on the 1st tee of the course.. Perfect day not a cloud in the sky about 85.. we are standing there and all of the sudden a siff cool breeze kicks up, just as the minister was done speaking it stopped.  afterwards we were talking and my wife bless her heart states " It was Dennis doing a drive by in his cart"... we all lost it... Every time I play that course on the 1st tee a breeze kicks up... Every time.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Even zombies need to get out and golf every once in a while ;) ha ha ha

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

The actual Woody Harrelson.At a local public course by my home.I remember on the first tee how familiar he looked. Half way thru the round his smile-speech and laugh clicked.He told me his name was Tracy on the first tee? I asked his partner mid round how he reminds me of Woody Harrelson.He looked at me and laughed and said that is him.His partner told me to keep it between our foursome as he enjoys his privacy.Found out he was visiting a very sick relative in the area between a movie shoot.Just an all around great guy.

(Edit) the unusual thing about him was his love of 70's movies.He would rattle off all the famous lines and add his own twist.I found this odd, since he was so young at the time.He was like an archive of all old movie quotes all round.A very talented "everyday type" of guy.I know it was only met him for a round of golf.But been a big fan of his ever since

I just watched him in his best movie Wilson and I can remember the other movies babe but it was about a teenage girl and he was her high School teacher, they were pretty funny

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I got paired with an older woman a couple spring breaks ago and she was a bird watcher. But not just someone who knew the names of birds or had a good eye, I mean full out ditching the cart and heading into the woods every hole bird watcher. The conversation throughout the day was just really strange and the round was astoundingly long. Made for a funny story after though.

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

I played with a retired High Court judge once who was hilarious. He had loads of stories of criminals who had crossed his path over the years and the kind of sentencing he gave depending on his mood.

He jokingly sentenced me to death by hanging when I beat him 2&1.

He didn't want to do it, but he felt he owed it to them?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived