Sign in to follow this  
ZachSvec

Iron suggestions (Looking for opinions)

Our Sponsors

So, im looking from transitioning from my 714 ap1 iron set into something a bit more sleak looking but also still has a decent bit of forgiveness to them. Im sure many of you are in the same boat as me on this and i'd love to hear any opinions, suggestions, or reccomendations you could throw my way.

• Like 1

If I could buy new irons tomorrow it'd be Wilson fg v6's but more players and forgiveness the iblades are the best compromise I've seen.

Callaway big bertha adilia rogue stiff with 1" tip

cobra f7 3 wood stiff

m2 3 hybrid adilia rogue stiff with half inch tip

Ping ie1 true temper xp 105 s300

mack daddy 2 56 and 60 wedges

stx putter

left handed

Handicap: my swing.

I'd take a look at the Mizuno 900 series.  Very forgiving.  Ping i200 also pretty forgiving but very sleek.  Not as soft off the face as the Mizuno line, but definitely forgiving.  

• Like 3

AP2's seem like a good natural progression.

Another option would be the Srixon 565 irons. They have the looks of a players iron with the forgiveness close to your ap1s

• Like 2

Give the Srixon 765 irons a go. I had a hit with them the other day and they were beautiful. Shot after shot was going to the exact same spot on the range.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I had those but got the 716 AP2 at the end of last season. I really like them. Nice lines, feel good. Just the right amount of forgiveness for my ball striking anyways.

Kinda regret not looking at the Mizunos though

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I would go with a Srixon 565/765 combo set. Great irons all forged and the 565 are like cheating but they look like a players iron. GolfSpyMBP can confirm that

• Like 2

I would go with a Srixon 565/765 combo set. Great irons all forged and the 565 are like cheating but they look like a players iron. GolfSpyMBP can confirm that

So looking forward to getting my combo of these in on Friday. They will be put to an immediate test, as I'm playing a 27 hole Ryder Cup Style tournament on Saturday. HA

• Like 3

Stay tuned for the PING i200 review. They could be the droids you're looking for.

• Like 7

Certainly appreciate all the input so far, definatley some testing to be done on my part. A set i've been eying up as well is the mizuno jpx 850 forged wondering if anybody uses or has thoughts on them?

850 forged are also a nice set of you don't need the newest shiniest model.

I can also recommend the Apex CF16.

• Like 3

Ping! What ever you decide on, get fitted. (if you don't already )

I'd take a look at the Mizuno 900 series. Very forgiving. Ping i200 also pretty forgiving but very sleek. Not as soft off the face as the Mizuno line, but definitely forgiving.

This. Also look at the Callaway CF16's and Srixon 565's.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 2

I'd have to agree with the mizuno 900 series. That being said can't go wrong with ap2's and if you look at slightly older models the mp25s from mizuno are great. I love my Ping i e1 so those would be another iron I'd recommend looking into on the last years model list!

• Like 1

You can get a great deal from Ben Hogan Golf, if you don't mind sending them an email then waiting for them to call. I have had my Ptx irons for 3 weeks, the 37*(8) iron had three dings in the leading edge so I emailed them with pics. Yesterday they called me and said they were building my replacement, and just wanted to make sure they got it right. If you are patient, the clubs are definitely worth the wait.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

If you are really looking for sleek... the iBlades were fun. Didn't have a whole lot of time with them, but for a "blade" or "better players" iron I'd say they compare to the AP2's as far as forgiveness, and shot shaping ability of a true blade, and were easier to hit than the TM 770 and 750; I also hit the Srixon's everyone mentioned and they did not agree with me.

I agree with the thoughts on the AP2s. They give you that sleek player style look but offer a ton of forgiveness for players iron.

• Like 1

I agree with the thoughts on the AP2s. They give you that sleek player style look but offer a ton of forgiveness for players iron.

I tested both the AP1 and Ap2 3-pw during a local Titleist demo day. A few things to remember:

*Ap1s have stronger lofts so they fly a bit farther then The comparable AP2s

*while AP2s are forgiving, they are not as forgiving as Ap1s

Personally, I really like the feel of the AP2s much better than the AP1s, but the Ap1s definitely have a good feel to them.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

I'd look at Ping or Bridgestone. I love the top line on the Bridgestone irons