TESTERS WANTED! ×

Heavy lifting/power lifting and golf

Big money

I used to play with a few real heavy lifters that had some massive golf game.They were par shooters and quite long and deadly accurate.Often was astounded how small the club looked compared to their massive muscular body build.Than i would play with some other power lifters who were terrible.They almost couldn't take the club back more than a half swing.

My question?is power lifting really that bad for golf.I think being healthy is the main keys to life.However,is over lifting bad for the game of golf and swinging a club effectively

Keep it in the short stuff

I used to play with a few real heavy lifters that had some massive golf game.They were par shooters and quite long and deadly accurate.Often was astounded how small the club looked compared to their massive muscular body build.Than i would play with some other power lifters who were terrible.They almost couldn't take the club back more than a half swing.

My question?is power lifting really that bad for golf.I think being healthy is the main keys to life.However,is over lifting bad for the game of golf and swinging a club effectively

Being strong is great for one's golf. Being immobile is terrible. These are not necessarily tied together. I compete in power lifting and olympic weightlifting myself and have pretty decent mobility. At the upper end of the weight classes, in the unrestricted category, there are significant benefits to just being as big as possible. Those people who just go for pure size may end up having some significant mobility issues. Some big guys are huge with muscle and fat and still move quite well. Your big friends who play golf poorly may have mobility issues or, they might just be bad golfers!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I think that working out can be very beneficial for alot of players. It can add length and generally helps with being more coordinated. 

But dang3rtown hit the nail on the head with mobility. You have to keep flexibility or the golf swing is going to go to crap. 

To answer your question. No power lifting is not bad for golf. Not if done correctly and with a purpose. Just know that if your mobility starts to go then you need rethink your program and switch things up. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

You need to make the right muscles strong. You're popping a whip, not lifting a car over your head.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

You need to make the right muscles strong. You're popping a whip, not lifting a car over your head.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I was lifting fairly heavy weights last year and had to back down. I had a couple injuries and I decided to lower the weights and go with more reps. I feel better and although I'm not ready for the ballerina circuit with my flexibility, it's better. I'm going to sign up for a senior yoga class at my gym. Hell I might even wear a tutu if it makes me feel younger...

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I was lifting fairly heavy weights last year and had to back down. I had a couple injuries and I decided to lower the weights and go with more reps. I feel better and although I'm not ready for the ballerina circuit with my flexibility, it's better. I'm going to sign up for a senior yoga class at my gym. Hell I might even wear a tutu if it makes me feel younger...

(off topic) I golf and also go to a gym frequently.Ive noticed more satisfaction-personal gains from working out versus my golf game.I have the latest fitted equipment/took personal lessons/continually work on all aspects of my game.Working out makes me feel so healthy from my gym work and also lost some

Substantial weight.But when it comes to golf I've improved very little and actually have gotten worse over the years.If I was given a choice to choose one or the other it would be the gym

I don't think power lifting is bad for golf. But it might be bad for your game. I seen some muscle bound dudes that could hardly move at anything let along golf. And... I knew one guy years ago that was huge and played a decent game actually. In general I'd guess the being overly muscular - developed might not be ideal. But to each his own.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I came from a sport that put a lot of weight on strength and mobility, wrestling. Luckily what I learned from my years wrestling and training in the gym has translated into most of my golf training in the gym. I will usually lift heavy twice a week, three times a week I will do a circuit training, and the sixth day I will do cardio 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Short answer: No.

Powerlifting has a lot of strength benefits (obviously) and you get different affect to muscles vs weightlifting for aesthetics. People who do it for size and symmetry what we think of in classic "bodybuilding" do have more mobility issues because of the muscle volume. There is a reason a bodybuilder who weighs 250 may look bigger than a powerlifter at 300, yet not have the same strength. 

I focus more on functional movements and using exercises that benefit overall strength than focusing or trying to focus on a specific body part: Deadlift/ power clean vs lateral dumbbell raises. Every exercise has its place. 

Its always important to work on flexibility too, like others have mentioned. 

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I competed in martial arts for over 10 years. I lifted 3 times a week, but it was for strength and core.... not body building, although you definitely gain muscle that shows. Being a martial artist, I naturally did a lot of stretching along with lifting. I think I can move like I do because of it. I don't do either any more, but I should probably get back to doing both.

To answer your question..... no, I don't think lifting or being strong hurts you in any sporting endeavor.

Strength and size are two totally different things. The strongest guy out there doesn't have to have the most mass. Tiger Woods used to have a pretty bulky upper body, that was kind of the limit you would want to see. The key for all of it is having sufficient muscle for your frame to allow for speed but not restrict your arms from achieving desired positions.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

I got into golf before I got into fitness which I think makes a huge difference. Once you have the fundamentals down, being stronger only helps as long as you're still mobile. I'm not jacked or huge by any means, but I'm a strong guy. Hitting everything a lot further, probably from my swing speed being up.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

Power lifting is great for golf.....if you do it properly and also understand as others have said you need that flexibility. Finding the right mix is key. Being a former athlete, former personal trainer, and current lifter of weights I can say my golf game benefits from being in better shape. Now power lifting doesn't mean you have to be massive I weigh about 170lbs but have pressed 300lbs(pre injury a couple years ago) and at the time hit some of the farthest(strength) and straightest(flexibility/form) drives of my life. Once you find the right mix I believe you will see increases on the course! Now I put strength with length and flexibility with straightest but they both impact each. And it all comes back to proper form/swing to get to where you need to be!

Power lifting is great for golf.....if you do it properly and also understand as others have said you need that flexibility. Finding the right mix is key. Being a former athlete, former personal trainer, and current lifter of weights I can say my golf game benefits from being in better shape. Now power lifting doesn't mean you have to be massive I weigh about 170lbs but have pressed 300lbs(pre injury a couple years ago) and at the time hit some of the farthest(strength) and straightest(flexibility/form) drives of my life. Once you find the right mix I believe you will see increases on the course! Now I put strength with length and flexibility with straightest but they both impact each. And it all comes back to proper form/swing to get to where you need to be!

I'm 6 foot 2 and 219 lbs and wear a size 32 pants.I have very big arms and upper body :(.Weight lifting has always been a big part of my life.I can do many push-ups - sit-ups - super sets.Im actually very flexible for an older dude I was told.Never can understand why this doesn't translate to my golf game and swing.I just lack sports coordination I guess.But I can lift and work out very well.Im in super shape for a 50 year old imho

I'm 6 foot 2 and 219 lbs and wear a size 32 pants.I have very big arms and upper body :(.Weight lifting has always been a big part of my life.I can do many push-ups - sit-ups - super sets.Im actually very flexible for an older dude I was told.Never can understand why this doesn't translate to my golf game and swing.I just lack sports coordination I guess.But I can lift and work out very well.Im in super shape for a 50 year old imho

You and I are very close in size.  I'm the same height however I weigh 214 now as I recently dropped several pounds.  I was hanging around 225ish for the longest time. I also love my gym as I think it helps more with a clear mind as it does a strong body.  I feel so refreshed when I walk out of my gym.  I never dread going for my workouts as I know the high I get when I leave.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

So maybe it is that you need a tad more flexibility for it to translate better or you need to change up your routine to match how you swing your golf club. It isn't just about strength it's about functional strength for golf. So normal strength push ups and sit-ups etc might not be what you need. I go through cycles and I'll lift heavy for a bit but then I turn to higher rep as I know in golf I'll be taking way more swings etc and my body needs to be able to function at a high level over and over. I find kettle bell exercises great for golf because it's functional strength that I feel translates well to the golf course. Plyometrics get put in because they help with explosiveness and balance. Yoga gets worked into my daily stretching. So weight lifting is great the gym is great but it has to be the right thing to translate to the golf course and as in my first post sometimes you have to try different things to get the translation to make sense. Keep going to the gym make little tweaks and see what happens on the course.

Forgot to add flexibility is relative to each individual. So while you have been told you are flexible it might be for you personally you still need a bit more etc.

So maybe it is that you need a tad more flexibility for it to translate better or you need to change up your routine to match how you swing your golf club. It isn't just about strength it's about functional strength for golf. So normal strength push ups and sit-ups etc might not be what you need. I go through cycles and I'll lift heavy for a bit but then I turn to higher rep as I know in golf I'll be taking way more swings etc and my body needs to be able to function at a high level over and over. I find kettle bell exercises great for golf because it's functional strength that I feel translates well to the golf course. Plyometrics get put in because they help with explosiveness and balance. Yoga gets worked into my daily stretching. So weight lifting is great the gym is great but it has to be the right thing to translate to the golf course and as in my first post sometimes you have to try different things to get the translation to make sense. Keep going to the gym make little tweaks and see what happens on the course.

awesome replies.Maybe this one reason why I'm always over the top and hammer down on it.With all the drills in the world, my body keeps rejecting being on plane.Unless I fake manipulate it all the time.Im naturally way over the top

I don't do heavy lifting but I go to the gym 5 days a week, Cardio and lift. I also focus a lot on my core knowing that is the piece that ties everything together in my swing. I think lifting helps with balance and coordination.

WITB: 

TM 2017 M1 440 w/ Aldila Rogue Silver X

TM 2016 M1 15* 3 Wood w/ Aldila Rogue Silver X

TM 2016 M2 4 Rescue Hybrid w/ Aldila Rogue Black S

TM PSi Tours P - 3i (One too many clubs :D ) w/ DG Tour Issue X100

Titleist SM6 60,56,52 w/ DG Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

TM Spider Tour Red

Titleist 14 way bag  :)  :)

Archived