Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Best golf record that may never be broken

TheWahoo

With the up-coming Byron Nelson tournament, on TGC, one of the commentators stated that Nelson's 11 straight victories, perhaps, was the most impressive record that never will or may never be broken.   His fellow commentators agreed it was impressive and mostly likely will never be broken, but because of the time and the level of competition, it necessarily was not the most impressive.  It was also noted that one of those victories may have been a team event.  

Other records noted by the commentators were:

Jack's 18 majors

Tiger's record of continuous made cuts (I think it was 142)

Tiger winning at least 5 tournaments in each of 9 years.

While it may or may not have been mentioned, I tend to lean toward what's called the "Tiger Slam"-holding all 4 majors at one time.  I think he may have been the Player's champion as well.  

Any opinions or other suggestions?

Don't get me wrong Jack's record is amazing and one that will probably stand for a long time. However I think the 142 cuts made in a row by Tiger is what may never get broken especially with how deep the PGA Tour is now. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Absolutely, positively, NO WAY ... with all of the talent on the tour now ... that anyone **EVER** wins 11 tournaments in a row.

Unless something super duper crazy happens like the top 100 players in Europe and the US all get the flu at the same, except for 1 guy.

It is by far ** THEE ** must untouchable record.

We can debate about the time, the era, the tournaments, the competition, etc. but as far as unbreakable goes that may be the biggest in not just golf but all of sport.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Absolutely, positively, NO WAY ... with all of the talent on the tour now ... that anyone **EVER** wins 11 tournaments in a row.

Unless something super duper crazy happens like the top 100 players in Europe and the US all get the flu at the same, except for 1 guy.

We can debate about the time, the era, the tournaments, the competition, etc. but as far as unbreakable goes that may be the biggest in not just golf but all of sport.

I'm gonna have to agree with this......DJ won 3 in a row, but that was only 3 that he PLAYED ......heck, we might not see that again for a long time

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Completely true too!

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Ray Ainsley, 23 on the par-4 16th at Cherry Hills (in the U.S. Open no less).

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Not too sure I could not beat that one only problem is I am not good enough to qualify.  :)

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

...shoot all four rounds in the 60's for the Masters too

That would be next level! I think if someone shoots in the sixties Thursday and Friday, the Augusta grounds crew presses the secret "insanity" button that makes the greens go harder than a pool table and the pins end up placed locations that would cause even the strongest of men to evacuate their bowels in a most hasty manner.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Kathy Whitworth 88 wins up Sam Snead by 5.

Tiger's week in number one would never be approach. There are plenty of talent out there to get the job done but the media distraction would make it so impossible.

Not that it has been easy since the time of Tom Morris, but now it can reach global scale in seconds.

I don't think anyone will ever break Jim Furyk's single round PGA Tour record of 58..... That's score on the PGA tour is surreal....

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I don't think anyone will ever break Jim Furyk's single round PGA Tour record of 58..... That's score on the PGA tour is surreal....

Considering he shot that on a par 70, I think it will be at some point, it may be many years, but I think It will.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Don't get me wrong Jack's record is amazing and one that will probably stand for a long time. However I think the 142 cuts made in a row by Tiger is what may never get broken especially with how deep the PGA Tour is now.

jayjay, I agree but the depth of a field has no impact on how a particular player plays. Only bad swings and not scoring prevent someone from making the cut.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Tiger-slam to me is the least likely to be done. 142 cuts in a row close second.

Way too deep of a talent pool

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

canucklehead, jayjay mentioned this too. I'm not sure why people think the "talent pool" has anything to do with whether someone makes a cut. Tiger Woods make so many consecutive cuts because he played well enough to make the cut each week. The problem for every player currently is that you could pick their game apart (I could pick my own apart too lol). The "talent" at a tour event has nothing to do with how well any single guy is gonna play.

This is a tough one. Never say never but Tigers made cut street would be pretty tough to pass.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

142 in a row will be extremely hard to catch...

among Tiger's other accomplishments that are rather impressive...

that 683 consecutive weeks as the #1 ranked player will be hard to top.

-      In what was dubbed the Tiger Slam, Woods simultaneously held all four major titles, plus The Players Championship trophy, in 2000-01.

·      In one stretch, he won 45 of 47 events on the PGA Tour in which he held the outright 54-hole lead, establishing himself as the most coolly efficient, intimidating closer in golf history.

·      He won six straight USGA titles – three U.S. Junior and three U.S. Amateur – before turning pro. Woods long has considered it one of his headiest achievements, so nobody is arguing.

·      He spent a record 683 weeks atop the world ranking. The 19 others who have held the top position since the ranking was unveiled in 1986 have amassed a combined 941 weeks at No. 1. Marinate in that data for a spell.

·      Since 1981, four other players have won five-plus times in a PGA Tour season. Woods did it 10 times.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Think about how talented, healthy, consistent you have to be to win 5 times a year for almost a decade. Just reading his accomplishments makes it seem surreal.

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

canucklehead, jayjay mentioned this too. I'm not sure why people think the "talent pool" has anything to do with whether someone makes a cut. Tiger Woods make so many consecutive cuts because he played well enough to make the cut each week. The problem for every player currently is that you could pick their game apart (I could pick my own apart too lol). The "talent" at a tour event has nothing to do with how well any single guy is gonna play.

But the amount of talent can mean making or missing the cut by a stroke. Do you think it's possible that over the course of 7 seasons, not once could there ever be a chance that someone has a decent Thurs/Fri and sits at -3..... But 70 of the other best golfers in the world can't be -4 or better?

Going into the Houston Open at the end of March Adam Scott had the longest active streak of 25

The current streak of atleast one spectator yelling "ba ba booee" during a PGA tournament will never be broken... Sadly :(

Ha ha ha 😂😂😂

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

But the amount of talent can mean making or missing the cut by a stroke. Do you think it's possible that over the course of 7 seasons, not once could there ever be a chance that someone has a decent Thurs/Fri and sits at -3..... But 70 of the other best golfers in the world can't be -4 or better?

Going into the Houston Open at the end of March Adam Scott had the longest active streak of 25

I completely understand your perspective. I guess I look at it from the perspective of the Tiger Woods example that there were some really deep fields consistently during his prime and he made 142 cuts even when he didn't have his best. But the depth of the field didn't impact how he himself played. He made that many cuts in a row because he took care of his business each week. It didn't matter how anyone else played.

I completely understand your perspective. I guess I look at it from the perspective of the Tiger Woods example that there were some really deep fields consistently during his prime and he made 142 cuts even when he didn't have his best. But the depth of the field didn't impact how he himself played. He made that many cuts in a row because he took care of his business each week. It didn't matter how anyone else played.

And I get what you're saying as well but I believe the closest anyone has gotten to that since Tiger started was Stricker who got to just over 50 I believe. I think 2013 it ended

And I get what you're saying as well but I believe the closest anyone has gotten to that since Tiger started was Stricker who got to just over 50 I believe. I think 2013 it ended

All great points boys! It is two parted. One the player has to play consistently well and two the field can affect the cut line

In my bag:

With respect to the made cuts streak, the player has to be better than the median score after two rounds. The depth (talent level) of the field may vary a bit depending on the event, but for the most part it is sustained, day-in-day out above average play, good mind, and the ability to work through injury, that builds the streak. I guess my point is, if you begin a streak at a certain level of play, over time the field is not going to get substantially better, it is more probable that the exceptional player will regress toward the mean.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

Re: Cuts v. Field.

The depth of the field absolutely matters! A PGA tour event has 156 players. The top 78 make the first cut and 70 get to play on Sunday. That means, you have to be better than at least 50% of the field to make the cut. If the field is good, the cut is lower and you have to score better to make it. If the field was made up of me and 155 of my clones, the cut would be about +50! Top to bottom, I absolutely believe the field is much stronger now than it was even 20 years ago. Equipment is more standardized, players take coaching and fitness much more seriously than they used. Best practices have become uniform and the gap between the top and bottom is less than it was. these days, you can play lights out golf and if everybody else is feeling it too, you may not make the cut!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

The current streak of atleast one spectator yelling "ba ba booee" during a PGA tournament will never be broken... Sadly :(

Ha ha ha 😂😂😂

MDGolfHacker

I will rejoice when this streak is over!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

--WITB--

Ping i15 Driver 9.5° Stiff

Ping i25 Fairway 15° Stiff

Kasco k2k 44 Utility 19° Stiff

Kasco k2k 55 Utility 22° Stiff

Miura CB-501 Irons 5-9 KBS Tour Stiff

Scratch 8620 d/d grind PW 47°

Scratch 8620 d/d grind GW 53°

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 SW 58° 2 dot

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 LW 60° 1 dot

Never Compromise Putter Sub 30 Type-50

Snell MTB

Re: Cuts v. Field.

The depth of the field absolutely matters! A PGA tour event has 156 players. The top 78 make the first cut and 70 get to play on Sunday. That means, you have to be better than at least 50% of the field to make the cut. If the field is good, the cut is lower and you have to score better to make it. If the field was made up of me and 155 of my clones, the cut would be about +50! Top to bottom, I absolutely believe the field is much stronger now than it was even 20 years ago. Equipment is more standardized, players take coaching and fitness much more seriously than they used. Best practices have become uniform and the gap between the top and bottom is less than it was. these days, you can play lights out golf and if everybody else is feeling it too, you may not make the cut!

I grant that the golfers in PGA events are great. I am no statistician, but I am suggesting that the scores in an event map to a bell curve week in and week out. Some individuals will do great one week, poorly the next and move along the curve. The curve itself will be the same shape, shifted left or right depending on the layout and conditions, and yes perhaps some outstanding performances will accentuate a shift, but often (I suppose), there will be a disastrous round that offsets the excellence.

Please don't make me do the math or back this up, there is work I'm supposed to be doin here.

Anyway, the streak is incredible, but the field strikes me as a given, like the air we breathe. They are in the best league, playing the best, hardest courses. The amazing aspect to me is the individual excellence and consistency.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

Byron Nelson's Incredible, Unrepeatable Year

In 1945, Lord Byron played in 30 "official" 72-hole professional events. His results:

18 wins (standing record).

11 wins in a row (standing record).

7 second place finishes.

28 Top-5 finishes.

Top-10 finishes in all 30 events.

Recorded lowest ever 72-hole tournament score of 259 (record, stood until 1955).

Average margin of victory 6.81 strokes.

Scoring average 68.34 (record, broken by Tiger Woods' 67.79 in 2000).

Of Nelson's 112 stroke-play rounds in 1945, 92 of them were played below par. He ended the year with more rounds played below 65 than he had played above 72!

Although official records were not kept, historians believe that Nelson did not miss a single fairway the in all of 1945 (hence the usage of the name "Iron Byron" for swing robots).

Notable: Without intending to diminish Byron Nelson's accomplishments in 1945, there are a few "asterisks" to note. Sam Snead won 6 events, including 4 in a row early in 1945, but broke his wrist in June. Ben Hogan served in the military from March 1943 through August 1945, winning 5 events in 1945 after his return. Many of the era's top players, including Jimmy Demaret and Lloyd Mangrum, did not compete in 1945 due to military service obligations during World War II. Nelson was not drafted due to having a blood clotting disorder.

Simpler times: In 1945, Byron Nelson accepted a contract from General Mills to appear on their Wheaties box. He was paid $200 and given a case of cereal each month (Tiger Woods was reportedly paid $400,000 in 1998 for his Wheaties cover).

Byron Nelson won an unbelievable 34 tournaments from 1944 through 1946. At the end of 1946, he retired in his prime at the age of 34.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

--WITB--

Ping i15 Driver 9.5° Stiff

Ping i25 Fairway 15° Stiff

Kasco k2k 44 Utility 19° Stiff

Kasco k2k 55 Utility 22° Stiff

Miura CB-501 Irons 5-9 KBS Tour Stiff

Scratch 8620 d/d grind PW 47°

Scratch 8620 d/d grind GW 53°

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 SW 58° 2 dot

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 LW 60° 1 dot

Never Compromise Putter Sub 30 Type-50