TheWahoo

Another record that may not fall...

Tournaments won after the age of 40:

1) Vijay Singh 22

2) Sam Snead 17

3) Kenny Perry 11

4) Julius Boros 10

5) Steve Striker 9

Most players considered "strong" in late career have very few wins to speak of after 40. For example, Phil Mickelson has only 4, Tom Watson only 2.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

--WITB--

Ping i15 Driver 9.5° Stiff

Ping i25 Fairway 15° Stiff

Kasco k2k 44 Utility 19° Stiff

Kasco k2k 55 Utility 22° Stiff

Miura CB-501 Irons 5-9 KBS Tour Stiff

Scratch 8620 d/d grind PW 47°

Scratch 8620 d/d grind GW 53°

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 SW 58° 2 dot

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 LW 60° 1 dot

Never Compromise Putter Sub 30 Type-50

Snell MTB

Re: Cuts v. Field.

The depth of the field absolutely matters! A PGA tour event has 156 players. The top 78 make the first cut and 70 get to play on Sunday. That means, you have to be better than at least 50% of the field to make the cut. If the field is good, the cut is lower and you have to score better to make it. If the field was made up of me and 155 of my clones, the cut would be about +50! Top to bottom, I absolutely believe the field is much stronger now than it was even 20 years ago. Equipment is more standardized, players take coaching and fitness much more seriously than they used. Best practices have become uniform and the gap between the top and bottom is less than it was. these days, you can play lights out golf and if everybody else is feeling it too, you may not make the cut!

Totally agree with your points. The fields are definately tougher and deeper these days. Look at the field on weeks prior to or during a major, especially The Open Champioship, where overseas travel is involved. The stars sit it out and the guys who normally aren't in the mix have a chance to shine. Depth of the talent pool absolutely matters! The bottom line is that you have to perform COSISTENTLY to make cuts. Maybe this is the factor that seperates the elite pros from the journeymen. Back in the days of Hogan and Snead, only the Top 20 made the cut! Those guys had to be playing pretty darn consistent golf to be in the mix week in and week out.

--WITB--

Ping i15 Driver 9.5° Stiff

Ping i25 Fairway 15° Stiff

Kasco k2k 44 Utility 19° Stiff

Kasco k2k 55 Utility 22° Stiff

Miura CB-501 Irons 5-9 KBS Tour Stiff

Scratch 8620 d/d grind PW 47°

Scratch 8620 d/d grind GW 53°

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 SW 58° 2 dot

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 LW 60° 1 dot

Never Compromise Putter Sub 30 Type-50

Snell MTB

I think it's fair to include Jim Furyk's 58. Maybe tied but I don't know that someone can break it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Consideration has to be made to the fact that Tiger Woods played routinely in the strongest fields based on events. If he played 18 PGA Tour events in a year, that would include the following:

* 4 Majors

* 4 WGCs

* Players Championship

* Farmers Ins. Open (formerly Buick Invitational)

* Arnold Palmer Invitational

* Wells Fargo

* Memorial

* Playoffs (07, 08, 09, 13)

Now, all of those events had "strongest fields" supposedly of the year. I know he played in "weaker field" events too but those events have all remained about the same over time. My argument would be not that the Tour has more guys who are "better" now, but it has only evened out.

"The fields are stronger now" is all relative. Yes technology is better but it has gotten better for everyone.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Considering he shot that on a par 70, I think it will be at some point, it may be many years, but I think It will.

I was thinking this too. Don't get me wrong, but the fact that it's a 58 is unreal, but there's a big difference from a 12 under and 14 under.

No one will ever touch Nelson's 11 consecutive wins, hell it's amazing when someone does 2 in a row. This competition and timing definitely played a huge role, but I don't think that even if one of the big boys played in the web.com tour would they win for 3 months straight (well with their picking a choosing tourneys now, 11 tournaments takes about 6-7 months to play)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Archived