Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Playing yourself

Brian A

So there are several days I feel like golfing but my golf friends either can't or dont want to play. The local muni course pairs up singles with other people, usually a two some. My concern is I am not particularly good, and not consistent enough to know where my ball is going, when I am forced to watch it, I pull my head up and it goes 45 degrees to the left. 

Am I better off just not playing vs going out on my own and asking the people I get paired up with to kinda keep an eye where my ball goes off the tee?

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Play.. We all have moments where we are not sure what is going to happen when we hit the ball.. When you get to the point of introductions Just say something like, "Hi I'm BOB and I am working on somethings and i'd appreciate if you would keep tabs on my ball as i can't always follow it.".. I would like to think most people unless they are that much of D!@k would be fine with that and your honesty... I know I would.. and you might get some Help, that actually helps.. And meet some friends along the way... the only way to get better is doing it.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

In all my years of playing I have never met anyone that wouldn't watch where a ball goes.  It's just common courtesy.  In mornings and evenings the sun can be brutal on some holes that we all have to watch or we burn our retinas when we look up.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm with Kenny... I think that watching other players tee off and following their ball is just common courtesy -- whether you know them for 5 years or 5 seconds.

And if you're not sure where it went just ask - "did any of you guys see where that one went?"  They'll guide you and/or help you look for it, I'm sure.

Nobody is born a scratch golfer and we all have had to start somewhere.  Don't worry about it.  Just go out and have a good time.  You'll get better soon enough and then you can pass it on!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

... I never mind being paired with beginners or high index players as long as they keep up. Take a practice swing, top a ball 20 yards, get to it and do it again until you get to the hole. Taking multiple practice swings, agonizing over poor play, talking about playing poorly instead of just playing is very frustrating. As long as someone is positive, enjoys being on the course and can keep up, I am happy to play with them regardless of how good they are. I know single digit players that take forever and high index players that hit and move.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Get out there and play. The more you play with strangers the better you'd get. One of the main reasons my game improved faster than all my other friends who started together is my willingness to get out of the comfort of playing with friends. Plus the willingness to go against the popular practice mainly hitting driver off the tee.

You learn a lot from playing with strangers from all aspect. How well they chose their shots as well as bad. If they are better player I'd study how they play the high percentage shots the opposite is also true with high handicappers who almost always play hero shots to make up,for their miss.

I can tell you this without a shadow of a doubt, No one cares how poorly you play as long as you keep the pace moving and keep positive attitude and play from the right tee. You are (according to your profile) a 20 handicap, that means you play bogey golf. you can tee off with 7i and still reach most holes in 3 shots from the white. Better if your best club is either a hybrid or 5 wood.

I'm with you, I'm not too great and I get nervy playing with people I don't know, but in the end golf isn't about being the best. I'm in it for the challenge and the fun, and if I'm not playing with someone that feels the same then he might has well find a new partner. Let's just get out there, have a good time, and try to hit some greens in as few strokes as possible haha

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

The only type of golfer that grinds me are those who think they are PGA material and do all they can to make you feel inadequate. On the other side, the majority are great, and you might even make a new friend.

planet earth

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

So there are several days I feel like golfing but my golf friends either can't or dont want to play. The local muni course pairs up singles with other people, usually a two some. My concern is I am not particularly good, and not consistent enough to know where my ball is going, when I am forced to watch it, I pull my head up and it goes 45 degrees to the left.

Am I better off just not playing vs going out on my own and asking the people I get paired up with to kinda keep an eye where my ball goes off the tee?

I thought keeping an eye on other golfers' shots was just common courtesy. Go play. If you're wondering what people are thinking about you, they don't. Apologize on the first tee for every bad shot you're going to hit, if you feel the need. Then don't apologize again. Keep up and pick up when needed. Behavior is more important than skill.

The only type of golfer that grinds me are those who think they are PGA material and do all they can to make you feel inadequate. On the other side, the majority are great, and you might even make a new friend.

... One of the truly great things about golf is two people of vastly different skills can have a wonderful time playing together. Played travel tennis but it was difficult to find folks to play with outside of events. Same with basketball as you can't really play against a lessor skilled player without both of you having a bad time. Golf is different. I LOVE playing with people of lessor skill that enjoy the game and appreciate a good walk with nature. My competition is with myself and the course, unless I am playing a tournament. Companionship and a good nature is all that is required. I have just as much fun playing with a good natured person that shoots 96 as I have with someone that shoots 69. Imo if someone makes another golfer feel inadequate, they are not golfers. They are just a$$holes with sticks. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

As long as people aren't swearing profusely and slowing down the pace, I don't care who you are, I'll golf with you!

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm 1 for 2

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I'm 1 for 2

😂

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I was told on my first round that you always watch other people's ball in case they lose or can't find it in the air. Guess it depends if you were taught to or not

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yup, when I started playing I was told it was my job to hit the ball and my playing partners job to see where it goes. I've played by that ever since. Works good with beginners and the 200 swing thoughts they already have in their heads.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Yup, when I started playing I was told it was my job to hit the ball and my playing partners job to see where it goes. I've played by that ever since. Works good with beginners and the 200 swing thoughts they already have in their heads.

BTW, I don't care how someone plays as long as their pleasant and are not slow.

Rick

Left Hand, 

BTW, I don't care how someone plays as long as their pleasant and are not slow.

Some high handicappers feel the obligation to react poorly on poor shots like this usually doesn't happen to them as often. Be honest with yourself, your playing partners can usually figure it out your game pretty quickly. They just try not to pay attention.

Guess I'm going to just have to get over my fear and go out myself! Thanks guys! 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Guess I'm going to just have to get over my fear and go out myself! Thanks guys!

It's a little uncomfortable at first but you'll get over it. I've learned to enjoy playing with better players than myself helps me focus.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Playing with higher handicappers is fine with me as it gives me more time to get yardages, chose clubs, assess my putt etc.

Usually if me or one of my playing partners doesn't see their ball, they'll announce "I lost it" and it's a cue to everyone else to keep a watchful eye on it.

i always by my self playing cause i don't have that many golf friends. once i know i hit the ball i will look for my ball, yea i know lot of people are told to keep ur eye on the ball but once it's been hit u can look. jus don't start peaking before u make contact

I'd like to think that the vast majority of golfers are fine with whomever they play with and accept that people golf to different standards. Everyone I've known who plays has started right at the beginning, struggling to break 150 never mind 100.

I think it's one of the worst ironys that the game with the best level playing field (the handicapping system). Is so hard to get into because of new players perceived lack of talent.

I've found most players take teaching others the etiquette as a responsibility to help grow the game, I certainly do, and am thankful to those that took me under their wing when I was hitting it all over the course with no clue!!

If anyone figures out this putting lark, message me immediately!

Archived