TESTERS WANTED! ×

Taylormade M1 M2 Driver Issue

Turleyrl

I have a taylormade m1 and love it but have been frusterated with my carry and spin rate numbers (since they go hand in hand).

To give you an idea of what my issue is here is some info: 

I am better than +1.6 handicap and my swing speed is around the 117-118 mark.

My launch angle is a little lower than I would like (10-11)

However my spin rate is typically well below 2500 causing my carry struggle

On dry days my total distance avg is 300+ plus but if its wet out I'm toast.

This makes it hard to judge what I can carry and when it comes down to trying to score I feel like this shouldn't be in the back of my head Does anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

Go in for a driver fitting

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Typically with the lower launch I would have thought you'd be hitting it low on the face. However the spin would be way higher. I'm with GolfSpy Meyer, best to go get fit

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I agree with the fitting but I'll also give my thoughts...

Sounds like you are hitting down on your driver to me, this would be something you could see easily on a trackman. But with a downward attack angle on the driver it will come out lower but will also spin more than hitting up on the driver... so it might be more than just the driver itself it might be a tweak in the attack angle on your driver that would get the ball going up and reduce the spin and increase the carry distance! Hope this helps!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Sounds like you are hitting down on your driver to me, this would be something you could see easily on a trackman. But with a downward attack angle on the driver it will come out lower but will also spin more than hitting up on the driver... so it might be more than just the driver itself it might be a tweak in the attack angle on your driver that would get the ball going up and reduce the spin and increase the carry distance! Hope this helps!!

But he said his spin was extremely low

Frusterated lol? 300+ average seems like a nice problem to have. I would say: get over it - there are only 20 or so players better than that on tour. If you have them, you could post your full Trackman numbers so we can pick the crap out of them, but to be really honest I don't think you really have much of a problem.

Other than a classic case of delusion.

I average 270 or so off the tee but I'm opposite of you, I launch it too high and have no rollout. If your 300 + when's its dry, what is your actual carry? I would agree with others, maybe a shaft change is in order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Loft-up, and move the weights, even add another weight to the rear track if you have an M1, so that you increase launch and spin. Remember, you have an adjustable driver- adjust it before changing shafts, etc.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Based on Trackman Driver Fitting Chart Total Optimizer for 115-120 mph your numbers really are actually pretty good.  

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I have the same issue and recently got fit at a PGA Superstore.

I have a slight inside/out swing which causes me to come across the ball with a slight cut/fade action. It bumps the spin up and if it's wet, I get no roll on the drives. I have a +2% to +4% aoa but still have a lot of spin issues with TM. The Epic SZ, Ping G LS and M1 all had spin around 2,300 to 2,500rpm with 11-13% launch.

Low launch/mid-high spin is common with a lot of good players with high swing speeds. Unless you go with something like an 80 gram shaft in X Flex and slide that weight all the way to the front, you're going to have a spin problem.

You also might want to check the spin on your golf ball. I normally play the B330S for the playability in the wind. However, during the fitting, the TM TP5X reduced spin rates by 370+ rpm.

**This was all done on Foresight launch monitors/cameras indoors. Always try to get fit outdoors when possible. Swinging inside is different than out in the elements.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I have the same issue and recently got fit at a PGA Superstore.

I have a slight inside/out swing which causes me to come across the ball with a slight cut/fade action. It bumps the spin up and if it's wet, I get no roll on the drives. I have a +2% to +4% aoa but still have a lot of spin issues with TM. The Epic SZ, Ping G LS and M1 all had spin around 2,300 to 2,500rpm with 11-13% launch.

Low launch/mid-high spin is common with a lot of good players with high swing speeds. Unless you go with something like an 80 gram shaft in X Flex and slide that weight all the way to the front, you're going to have a spin problem.

You also might want to check the spin on your golf ball. I normally play the B330S for the playability in the wind. However, during the fitting, the TM TP5X reduced spin rates by 370+ rpm.

**This was all done on Foresight launch monitors/cameras indoors. Always try to get fit outdoors when possible. Swinging inside is different than out in the elements.

Amazing to see that much of a difference for the TP5X quantified. I have hit it and really thought they were fantastic 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I actually did get fitted when I got the driver but my fitter didn't see a problem with the spin rate at the time. The carry numbers in the fitting were around 270-280 but the ball seemed to knuckle. The fitter assured me it was just the balls he was using.

I might try and take it to somewhere with a launch monitor and analyze it myself I just worry about inconsistency because I'm trying to play for a living.

My first thought was that it was my swing. I personally don't like to blame equipment, so I went and got a lesson from my long time coach and he agreed something just doesn't look right when the ball comes off.

It still could be my swing because I made changes going from a draw to a cut and now back to a draw but it definitely fails the eye test.

I'd bring the loft up, especially if you have an adjustable driver. Should improve launch angle. The increased launch will increase your spin, but given your 2500 spin rate, it shouldn't balloon. More backspin should give you a slightly straighter drive too.

or get fit.... 😃

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Realistically, your launch and spin numbers aren't that bad for your swing speed.  Could you drop spin and increase launch, sure but I'm not sure why you would if your currrent carry is 270-280.  

My club head speed is 105 mph on average.  When I did my fitting, I used the ball I play and wanted to see spin averages in the 2200-2400 rpm window knowing that when I pure it I'll see less spin (knuckleball) and when I mishit one the ball shouldn't balloon.  

What ball did you use when getting fit?  

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

@Turleyrl, any update on your driver? I just got fitted for the M1 and while the numbers looked good during the fitting, outside my ball flight is lower than I want. I've kept moving the back weight further and further back. It's helped some, but I'm not near as high as my old driver. I've now got the weight all the way back so there's nothing more for me to adjust. I can't compare to your swing, which sounds great if you're carrying it 280. I'd just like to hear how your launch is now. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it remarkable that a plus 1.6 is asking us this question.

A spin rate in the low to mid 2,000 is very good. Of course it would be nice to get the launch up a tad but you may add to the spin rate lofting up. I'd go to another fitting or try another driver with a heavier shaft. Let us know how it goes.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 3 weeks later...

@Turleyrl, any update on your driver? I just got fitted for the M1 and while the numbers looked good during the fitting, outside my ball flight is lower than I want. I've kept moving the back weight further and further back. It's helped some, but I'm not near as high as my old driver. I've now got the weight all the way back so there's nothing more for me to adjust. I can't compare to your swing, which sounds great if you're carrying it 280. I'd just like to hear how your launch is now. Thanks.

Have you tried to loft up, return the weight to middle and start from there, see if you can get the ball flight to the height you are looking for?

The one thing I didn't see anywhere was the driver loft....you would be amazed what 1 extra degree of loft will do to your launch angle at that swing speed.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I mentioned it in the 5th post of the thread

Yep I liked your post....was just reinforcing your point B)

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Have you tried to loft up, return the weight to middle and start from there, see if you can get the ball flight to the height you are looking for?

Yes, changing the loft was what I ended up doing and it indeed solved all my problems. I couldn't believe making the slightest change (1 click) made such a big difference. I'm sold on adjustable drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, changing the loft was what I ended up doing and it indeed solved all my problems. I couldn't believe making the slightest change (1 click) made such a big difference. I'm sold on adjustable drivers.

Glad to hear that.  :lol: yeah today's adjustable drivers have literally  hundreds of possible combinations of different settings. One of them is bound to be the right one.. finding it however is no easy task.  ^_^

I have an M1 9.5 and when I was fitted with a 100-105 ss my numbers were about 15-16 launch with spin around 2600-2800 and was carrying about 250-260. Having no problem with that carry I went with the 440 head to get a little less spin. Also am thinking of going with a lower spinning shaft.

Ping G LsTec 9º (trying out a 2017 m1 440)

Ping G30 3 and 4 hybrids

5-PW Callaway XR irons

48, 52, 56, 60 Vokey spin milled

Odyssey O-works 2-ball

RH, SS 100-105, 15 hcp

Archived