Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Average Drive

dang3rtown

Golf Digest got their hands on some data on how long people really drive the ball. I think the MGS crowd is pretty realistic but the general public may be a bit surprised!

Drives

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most golfers have selective memory when it comes to distance. We tend to remember the longest shots we ever hit on each clubs and suddenly it became our avg.

I've been using the laser yardage for a long time and remember how shock I was to learn that my distance is about 20 yards off per clubs because if I hit the front of the green I automatically register that it's the distance I hit to the flag, never mind that's it's a back pin and I was 25 yards short.

Nowadays, I can't do it. I'm using the game golf live which keeps track of every shots I hit on the course. It's a humbling experience but also made me a better golfer who play high percentage shots.

Good luck with this thread. I did one last year from an article that demonstrated that the biggest difference between a scratch player and a touring pro was distance. That didn't go over well.

My league round on Tuesday was the classic. I'm sure that if you asked my opponent what his average drive was he would say 250-260.

Well yes we're in a drought and when he hit a good straight drive down hill down wind he hit it 260. But I hit more drives longer than he did even though his potential distance was greater then mine. My average is a shade under 230. Its closer to 240 right now because of the drought.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I don't think it's that critical to average the good shots only.

Look at the Most Wanted Driver Test, data is normalized, counting 10-12 "good" shots and outliers are removed.

It's definitely wrong to count your longest drive as average, but I think it's acceptable to dislodge the ladies and worm burners and calculate based on the normal shots.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

People over estimate their distance(s) big time.Not out of spite,but more out of slight ignorance.Anything 250 plus off the tee is really a long way.Many that say they hit 300 are actually 250-260 when scanned.Even some older tracks have their holes measured wrong.And flight monitors aren't something I go by as well.Played with a youth who was 290 on the monitor.On the course I had him at 261 to 267 with roll with my gps.He was also swinging very well that day

But if someone wants to say they are a 300 hitter than more power too you.

Keep it in the short stuff

I haven't taken the time to do any checking of my driver distances in the past year. I'm 62. I haven't noticed any loss in distance either. I'm still around 300 yards. JK. LOL

I used to claim 248 with my driver on any course in my region. That means same course conditions. Which are generally hard and fast. So if I were measuring my driver distance in FLorida or New York I'd probably be hitting it 247. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Internet golfers are always longer!   That's what she said last night right?  Heck I know I'm short, well off the tee that is.  Frankly I would consider accuracy more of a good thing than the long bomb.  With that being said, I think golfers as a whole will always see them selves hitting the ball further than what their true averages are.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

My driver distance was based off of my home course yardage markers on the tee box. 2 years ago they were almost all found to be wrong. Since then, I have found my average distance to be around 230 - 240.

When I'm having a really good day with the driver.... 250-260 isn't out of the question. Unfortunately, I'm finding age is winning and those days are rare for me any more. If I'm honest, I'm probably 230+ most of the time. Father Time  sucks!

I average about 308.2 yards. Then the power went out and my ps4 with Tiger Woods playing shutdown.. 😂😂

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Golf Digest got their hands on some data on how long people really drive the ball. I think the MGS crowd is pretty realistic but the general public may be a bit surprised!

Drives

This is a great thread dang3r 👍. One of my favorite things to chat about because it is realistic. The impressive stat isn't how long something was but the actual carry. When Dustin Johnson carries the ball 300+, that is impressive. Most guys who actually reach 300 yards do it on accident with that occasional swing or getting 30 yards of roll on a draw fairway downhill.

I will be honest with anyone to say that I don't hit it 300 yards most of the time. I have the capability and swing speed to do it, but it isn't worth the loss of accuracy. If I make a good 85% swing with driver I'm gonna be in the 285 range which is more than enough on any course I play.

The funny thing is you don't hear guys brag about the shorter areas of the game. Everyone uses distance off the tee as a benchmark.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

I always find it amusing when guys say they carry it 280. Sure some do, but of the long guys I play with, only a couple hit it around 300 regularly. One of them is a former tour pro who can get it out around 330, occasionally out to 370. Another one is a guy who played college golf and made an All American list (although he is an Aussie!)

I get one out around 300 about once a year, and wonder what went right. My solid ones are 275, but my average is significantly less.

People never seem to include their bad ones in the average, but don't hesitate to include their best.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

What app are you using?

He's using Gamegolf. It has tags screwed into the grips that you tap to a gps unit you were on your belt before each shot. It's a great tracker to see your true distances.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

He's using Gamegolf. It has tags screwed into the grips that you tap to a gps unit you were on your belt before each shot. It's a great tracker to see your true distances.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I only have one round with mine but I like it. I forgot to tag about 1/3 of my shots though. I averaged 293 with the driver for the first round with a long of 344yds

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I still use the mark feature on my sky caddie. Since I don't get much rollout on my drives it's fairly accurate. Still I take 10 yards off to account for roll when figuring my average. By doing so, I can comfortably rely on my carry distance to get over hazards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always find it amusing when guys say they carry it 280. Sure some do, but of the long guys I play with, only a couple hit it around 300 regularly. One of them is a former tour pro who can get it out around 330, occasionally out to 370. Another one is a guy who played college golf and made an All American list (although he is an Aussie!)

I get one out around 300 about once a year, and wonder what went right. My solid ones are 275, but my average is significantly less.

People never seem to include their bad ones in the average, but don't hesitate to include their best.

It's called "Selective amnesia"

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The funny thing is you don't hear guys brag about the shorter areas of the game. Everyone uses distance off the tee as a benchmark.

Agree. people like to pounds their drives at the range. Golfers has not changed. Most people still likes their driver, hence most golfers are still 15+ handicap. I'll take up your invitation and brag about the short game.;)

IMG_1343.PNG

IMG_1344.PNG

IMG_1345.PNG

What's the expression, "drive for show.. putt for dough"? I really don't care how far I hit, but how accurate I can be. If a 220 drive puts me in position to hit a better shot into the green I'll go that route every time. What kills my score, you got it. PUTTING.

planet earth

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

What's the expression, "drive for show.. putt for dough"? I really don't care how far I hit, but how accurate I can be. If a 220 drive puts me in position to hit a better shot into the green I'll go that route every time. What kills my score, you got it. PUTTING.

planet earth

Actually this entire thread argues the opposite. If people actually hit it as far as they say they do they'd be much better. There is a far greater gap between a scratch golfer and a touring pro with driver than with putter.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Actually this entire thread argues the opposite. If people actually hit it as far as they say they do they'd be much better. There is a far greater gap between a scratch golfer and a touring pro with driver than with putter.

So... Talk for show, drive for mediocrity?

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

All points are valid, based on each view point. Yes you are correct in saying average putts per round are close between pros and ametuers. My only point was too much emphasis is put on distance. And for me putting is more important, than driving distance.

planet earth

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

As much fun as it is to pump a drive 250+ yards down the fairway say 50% of the time. I'd take going 20 yards less for being in the fairway a lot more. It's amazing how much easier the game is when the ball is in the short grass. Seems like common sense, but way too many times have I gone out with friends and we spend more time look for long drives in the woods then actually enjoying putting up good scores.

My father in law has a average drive of about 210 up to 230 on a good day, but he's straight as can be. He's tough to beat when his short game is working because he's always has relatively easy shots into the greens.

Distance so often dominates headlines, but could you imagine how much better golfers in general would be if they just focused on putting decent drives down the middle rather then hit the ball as far they can?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

As much fun as it is to pump a drive 250+ yards down the fairway say 50% of the time. I'd take going 20 yards less for being in the fairway a lot more. It's amazing how much easier the game is when the ball is in the short grass. Seems like common sense, but way too many times have I gone out with friends and we spend more time look for long drives in the woods then actually enjoying putting up good scores.

My father in law has a average drive of about 210 up to 230 on a good day, but he's straight as can be. He's tough to beat when his short game is working because he's always has relatively easy shots into the greens.

Distance so often dominates headlines, but could you imagine how much better golfers in general would be if they just focused on putting decent drives down the middle rather then hit the ball as far they can?

You speak the truth! 🏌️⛳️

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Most people still likes their driver, hence most golfers are still 15+ handicap. I'll take up your invitation and brag about the short game.;)

Good work Rusty1885. If I hit 85% of greens and averaged 1.7 putts per hole, I would be very pleased. Get those putts per round under 30, like 1.6 per hole, and you are scratch. You are right there!

--WITB--

Ping i15 Driver 9.5° Stiff

Ping i25 Fairway 15° Stiff

Kasco k2k 44 Utility 19° Stiff

Kasco k2k 55 Utility 22° Stiff

Miura CB-501 Irons 5-9 KBS Tour Stiff

Scratch 8620 d/d grind PW 47°

Scratch 8620 d/d grind GW 53°

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 SW 58° 2 dot

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 LW 60° 1 dot

Never Compromise Putter Sub 30 Type-50

Snell MTB

While I am the first to admit that I like outdriving my friends, the problem I find is that when the 1 Metal is working well I tend to use it on holes that I should not.

A good drive, in the fairway, sets you up for a GIR and builds confidence. However, I would generally agree with the posters who say they would trade better accuracy at the cost of some distance.

One of my buddies (whom I consistently out-drive) has beaten me pretty regularly for the past year. Whenever I am puffing my chest over a bomb (relative) I hit off the tee, he says, "My only opponent is the golf course." It reminds me that I need to mature.

--WITB--

Ping i15 Driver 9.5° Stiff

Ping i25 Fairway 15° Stiff

Kasco k2k 44 Utility 19° Stiff

Kasco k2k 55 Utility 22° Stiff

Miura CB-501 Irons 5-9 KBS Tour Stiff

Scratch 8620 d/d grind PW 47°

Scratch 8620 d/d grind GW 53°

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 SW 58° 2 dot

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 LW 60° 1 dot

Never Compromise Putter Sub 30 Type-50

Snell MTB

I'll never lie about how far I drive the ball. I'm short, average build and still learning the game so if I can get a ball down the fairway 220 carry, I'll be perfectly content.

As long as I can get it on the green in 2-3 strokes depending on the hole, I'll have a chance at making par or better. Par or better and Cameron is a happy man

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

A lot of my best rounds have come from using long irons and fairway metals off the tee. My thought off the tee isn't about how far can I hit my tee ball, but how far do I want to hit it so my next shot is to my strength?

Show off...

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Hey now...

I'm the proved that you don't need long drives to score well. Playing the high percentage shots may not feel heroic but it helps me avoid big numbers. I do dedicate a one or 2 pure ego round(s) a month to flush it out of my system. Some says those are my sandbagging rounds.

It's not a patented secret, if I can do it anyone can. Avg LPGA carry their drives 218 yards, that's what I'm comparing my game against, not the PGA.

Good work Rusty1885. If I hit 85% of greens and averaged 1.7 putts per hole, I would be very pleased. Get those putts per round under 30, like 1.6 per hole, and you are scratch. You are right there!

Show off...Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks, I'm trying to get there. It was easier to do when I was playing 4-5 round a week dropping down to 2-3 is much harder to keep the touch sharp enough for scratch golf.

Archived