dang3rtown

Average Drive

Our Sponsors

Actually this entire thread argues the opposite. If people actually hit it as far as they say they do they'd be much better. There is a far greater gap between a scratch golfer and a touring pro with driver than with putter.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

So... Talk for show, drive for mediocrity?

• Like 6

All points are valid, based on each view point. Yes you are correct in saying average putts per round are close between pros and ametuers. My only point was too much emphasis is put on distance. And for me putting is more important, than driving distance.

planet earth

Agree. people like to pounds their drives at the range. Golfers has not changed. Most people still likes their driver, hence most golfers are still 15+ handicap. I'll take up your invitation and brag about the short game.;)

Show off...

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

As much fun as it is to pump a drive 250+ yards down the fairway say 50% of the time. I'd take going 20 yards less for being in the fairway a lot more. It's amazing how much easier the game is when the ball is in the short grass. Seems like common sense, but way too many times have I gone out with friends and we spend more time look for long drives in the woods then actually enjoying putting up good scores.

My father in law has a average drive of about 210 up to 230 on a good day, but he's straight as can be. He's tough to beat when his short game is working because he's always has relatively easy shots into the greens.

Distance so often dominates headlines, but could you imagine how much better golfers in general would be if they just focused on putting decent drives down the middle rather then hit the ball as far they can?

• Like 4

As much fun as it is to pump a drive 250+ yards down the fairway say 50% of the time. I'd take going 20 yards less for being in the fairway a lot more. It's amazing how much easier the game is when the ball is in the short grass. Seems like common sense, but way too many times have I gone out with friends and we spend more time look for long drives in the woods then actually enjoying putting up good scores.

My father in law has a average drive of about 210 up to 230 on a good day, but he's straight as can be. He's tough to beat when his short game is working because he's always has relatively easy shots into the greens.

Distance so often dominates headlines, but could you imagine how much better golfers in general would be if they just focused on putting decent drives down the middle rather then hit the ball as far they can?

You speak the truth! 🏌️⛳️

Most people still likes their driver, hence most golfers are still 15+ handicap. I'll take up your invitation and brag about the short game.;)

Good work Rusty1885. If I hit 85% of greens and averaged 1.7 putts per hole, I would be very pleased. Get those putts per round under 30, like 1.6 per hole, and you are scratch. You are right there!

• Like 2

While I am the first to admit that I like outdriving my friends, the problem I find is that when the 1 Metal is working well I tend to use it on holes that I should not.

A good drive, in the fairway, sets you up for a GIR and builds confidence. However, I would generally agree with the posters who say they would trade better accuracy at the cost of some distance.

One of my buddies (whom I consistently out-drive) has beaten me pretty regularly for the past year. Whenever I am puffing my chest over a bomb (relative) I hit off the tee, he says, "My only opponent is the golf course." It reminds me that I need to mature.

• Like 1

I'll never lie about how far I drive the ball. I'm short, average build and still learning the game so if I can get a ball down the fairway 220 carry, I'll be perfectly content.

As long as I can get it on the green in 2-3 strokes depending on the hole, I'll have a chance at making par or better. Par or better and Cameron is a happy man

A lot of my best rounds have come from using long irons and fairway metals off the tee. My thought off the tee isn't about how far can I hit my tee ball, but how far do I want to hit it so my next shot is to my strength?

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

• Like 2

Show off...

Hey now...

I'm the proved that you don't need long drives to score well. Playing the high percentage shots may not feel heroic but it helps me avoid big numbers. I do dedicate a one or 2 pure ego round(s) a month to flush it out of my system. Some says those are my sandbagging rounds.

It's not a patented secret, if I can do it anyone can. Avg LPGA carry their drives 218 yards, that's what I'm comparing my game against, not the PGA.

Good work Rusty1885. If I hit 85% of greens and averaged 1.7 putts per hole, I would be very pleased. Get those putts per round under 30, like 1.6 per hole, and you are scratch. You are right there!

Show off...Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks, I'm trying to get there. It was easier to do when I was playing 4-5 round a week dropping down to 2-3 is much harder to keep the touch sharp enough for scratch golf.

My thought off the tee isn't about how far can I hit my tee ball, but how far do I want to hit it so my next shot is to my strength?

This^^

Im not afraid of spray and prey long bombers off the tee in match or skin game, I'm terrified of this type of players. They are usually very hard to kill. ;)

• Like 1

Golf Digest got their hands on some data on how long people really drive the ball. I think the MGS crowd is pretty realistic but the general public may be a bit surprised!

Drives

My son worked night order desk at Golfsmith years ago. A Dad called and wanted to improve 14 yr. old son's driving. My son asked what he used now, distance, trajectory, etc. The Dad responded, "290, high and dead straight." Goldsmith rep responded, "Don't change a thing."

• Like 4

Hey now...

I'm the proved that you don't need long drives to score well. Playing the high percentage shots may not feel heroic but it helps me avoid big numbers. I do dedicate a one or 2 pure ego round(s) a month to flush it out of my system. Some says those are my sandbagging rounds.

It's not a patented secret, if I can do it anyone can. Avg LPGA carry their drives 218 yards, that's what I'm comparing my game against, not the PGA.

Thanks, I'm trying to get there. It was easier to do when I was playing 4-5 round a week dropping down to 2-3 is much harder to keep the touch sharp enough for scratch golf.

Just bustin' ya up! I'm taking some lessons in the next few weeks to hopefully straighten out. I've heard you have a better chance of getting close from the fairway. Would like to find out if it's true or not 😀 this winter I decided I should be comparing myself to the LPGA as well. Much more realistic numbers. A lot of those PGA guys are almost super-human

• Like 1

... I have never been short, especially for my age but I am also not a long hitter. I can get it out there 280 but usually around 260-270 when swinging well. I have hit some monster drives that were at least 325 on courses I was unfamiliar with and every time I came up just short of the magical 300. 

... My son is a 25 yr old 1st team all conference college DE and at 6'3" and now down to 235 he routinely drives it over 300. It really lets me know how average my drives are. He is still new to the game and the nuances give him the same trouble they do all beginners and he shoots in the mid to low 90's but can carry it 270-290 and hit it pretty darned straight. So I know there are those amateurs that find 300 an easy target, but they are few and far between. 

Today was a good drive day for me. The 2 holes I used my driver on (played 9), I hit it 280 and 272. My back has been really stiff the last few days. I put the driver shaft back in it, and choked down about a inch.

I did hit the 3 wood with the driver shaft.... WOW. Talk about a whip! Moon balls probably 250ish. But no good here, the wind picked up again, and I had to play knock downs.

Beginning to play more tactful and I think I am going to see scores drop.

• Like 5

I used to play with a welder from work. He was in his mid 60s and I was in my mid 30s. I would out drive home by 50-60 yards consistently and he would beat me every time. He would tell me every time. It's not how far, it's how many.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5

What's the expression, "drive for show.. putt for dough"? I really don't care how far I hit, but how accurate I can be. If a 220 drive puts me in position to hit a better shot into the green I'll go that route every time. What kills my score, you got it. PUTTING.

planet earth

How dare you introduce logic and scoring into this discussion , this is loooooong ball only.

Love to see people hit 40 balls with their driver at the range, when they really should only use it 6-10 at most in the course.

As you said, it's all about the short game

• Like 3

I see way too many people wanting to improve their handicap but going around the course in a really inconsistent manner. If more guys would understand that your handicap could be so much lower by just playing to strengths off the tee their scores would easily drop 5-10 automatically.

• Like 4

I see way too many people wanting to improve their handicap but going around the course in a really inconsistent manner. If more guys would understand that your handicap could be so much lower by just playing to strengths off the tee their scores would easily drop 5-10 automatically.

My 4 iron is like throwing darts at 220 + roll in the fairway. Bad driver shots are 260 in the woods. What's 40 yards and a penalty though?

- Alan

• Like 2