TESTERS WANTED! ×

Most Underrated Equipment?

As far as no love in days past Ram was a club that once played, stayed in many a bag.

Lynx and Wilson Staff were the same. Cobra always made clubs that people fell in love with.

These were some of the best clubs ever made at the time.

s-l300.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

Cobra has been underrated for a while now, agree with all the comments on them.

I can't believe nobody has said Wilson Staff yet though. Their woods are definitely coming around and their irons have been sleeper hits for a few years now.

Wilson far and away -

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

As far as no love in days past Ram was a club that once played, stayed in many a bag.

Lynx and Wilson Staff were the same. Cobra always made clubs that people fell in love with.

My dad still has the full bag Lynx Predator set he bought 30+ years ago. Paid $800 for them back then. Won't even think about buying any other clubs. But man he's good with them. Only about 200 off the tee but poker straight and it's not unusual for him to beat me

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My dad still has the full bag Lynx Predator set he bought 30+ years ago. Paid $800 for them back then. Won't even think about buying any other clubs. But man he's good with them. Only about 200 off the tee but poker straight and it's not unusual for him to beat me

Yea I had a set of the Lynx way back when. I don't remember the model however they were pretty slick!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I'll agree with the ones that have mentioned Wilson Staff.  

I got on board with some of the new D300 line a couple years ago.   I bought a D300 driver, but moved on after a few rounds with it, as i felt it was too lite and I didn't bother trying any additional shafts in it. 

Also played the D300 for a season and half.  They were fine irons, probably way underrated, but again me being me, wanted something new and shiny after a period of time.  I considered the C200 at that time, but there were a couple other irons at the time in a similar category that were considerable more buzz...the CF16 chief among them, so that's what i went with.  

I did see the C300 line this year, but it didn't thrill me.  I really like the great folks at Wilosn, i feel they are very genuine and passionate about their line.  I would just like to see some more marketing or something done by them to give them more pizzazz.   I know that's a tall ask, or the natural question is, would I buy their product if the had more marketing or pizzazz behind it.   I honestly can't say for sure.

I just bought a set of Srixon irons, mainly for the reason they look absolutely beautiful and are very easy to hit, it's an iron I get excited about having in my bag.  The C200 was a really nice looking iron, but not one that I felt was going to stand out for any particular reason in my bag.

I guess you could compare it to having a really cute girl next door girlfriend that has a great personality, but if you have a chance to date the head cheerleader that everyone knows who also has a great personalty and everyone loves, you're probably going to naturally gravitate toward her, through no fault of the "girl next door" 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Yea I had a set of the Lynx way back when. I don't remember the model however they were pretty slick!

It's funny when he and his buddies play because they all have new drivers and hes holding his and it looks like a hybrid compared to the other guys!!

I'll agree with the ones that have mentioned Wilson Staff.  

I got on board with some of the new D300 line a couple years ago.   I bought a D300 driver, but moved on after a few rounds with it, as i felt it was too lite and I didn't bother trying any additional shafts in it. 

Also played the D300 for a season and half.  They were fine irons, probably way underrated, but again me being me, wanted something new and shiny after a period of time.  I considered the C200 at that time, but there were a couple other irons at the time in a similar category that were considerable more buzz...the CF16 chief among them, so that's what i went with.  

I did see the C300 line this year, but it didn't thrill me.  I really like the great folks at Wilosn, i feel they are very genuine and passionate about their line.  I would just like to see some more marketing or something done by them to give them more pizzazz.   I know that's a tall ask, or the natural question is, would I buy their product if the had more marketing or pizzazz behind it.   I honestly can't say for sure.

I just bought a set of Srixon irons, mainly for the reason they look absolutely beautiful and are very easy to hit, it's an iron I get excited about having in my bag.  The C200 was a really nice looking iron, but not one that I felt was going to stand out for any particular reason in my bag.

I guess you could compare it to having a really cute girl next door girlfriend that has a great personality, but if you have a chance to date the head cheerleader that everyone knows who also has a great personalty and everyone loves, you're probably going to naturally gravitate toward her, through no fault of the "girl next door" 

You probably played the D200.  The D300 just came out this spring.  It's still very light, but is different than the D200.  I hit it at demo days, and I am seriously thinking about it.  I also hit the the hybrids, and I just ordered hybrids and 5W to change out the long clubs in my bag.  I may end up with the driver too.  Yes, they are light but I was surprised how easy they were to control.  My RBZs are a little heavy, and while I hit them good, I have lost some speed over the last 5 years.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

You probably played the D200.  The D300 just came out this spring.  It's still very light, but is different than the D200.  I hit it at demo days, and I am seriously thinking about it.  I also hit the the hybrids, and I just ordered hybrids and 5W to change out the long clubs in my bag.  I may end up with the driver too.  Yes, they are light but I was surprised how easy they were to control.  My RBZs are a little heavy, and while I hit them good, I have lost some speed over the last 5 years.

You're right it was the D200 irons and Driver.   I did see both the new ones this fall when the rep was by.  The D300 irons have the face slots like the C200, correct?   They were nice for GI iron, but just didn't thrill me. 

But people who are looking strictly for forgiveness and performance and can put our ego's aside, they would be hard pressed to find much better. 

But people who are looking strictly for forgiveness and performance and can put our ego's aside, they would be hard pressed to find much better. 

That's me, I need a lot of forgiveness and with my game, I cannot afford any ego.  So exactly what clubs are you referencing.  

That's me, I need a lot of forgiveness and with my game, I cannot afford any ego.  So exactly what clubs are you referencing.  

The Wilson D300 irons.  Very game improvement, and they have added the Wilson technology off face slots on them, to give a bit more ball speed off the face. 

You're right it was the D200 irons and Driver.   I did see both the new ones this fall when the rep was by.  The D300 irons have the face slots like the C200, correct?   They were nice for GI iron, but just didn't thrill me. 

At the demo days I hit the D300 irons and they are not for me either.  Not sure why, but I didn't hit the Ping G20 as well as the i20 either, so maybe it's the wider sole.  They seemed to be a little clunky.  I didn't do well with the C200 irons either.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The Wilson D300 irons.  Very game improvement, and they have added the Wilson technology off face slots on them, to give a bit more ball speed off the face. 

The very first clubs I ever purchased were made by Wilson.   It was a starter set labelled Sam Sneed Blue Ridge.   Perhaps, after many, many years I have come full circle and Wilson should be the last clubs I purchase.

Gotta be srixon. I literally thought their balls were all trash and knew nothing of their equipment for a while. Turns out the q star is basically the best ball in it's price range, and their driver just won the most wanted. New kid at work is playing the 565 irons too and they look and feel incredible.

Sent from my LG-H810 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Mizuno MP59 - KBS Tour -standard length and Lie (flex, length/lie)

Nike Vapor Fly - 8.5* Stiff

Right Handed

Buffalo Grove

15 HCP

Gotta be srixon. I literally thought their balls were all trash and knew nothing of their equipment for a while. Turns out the q star is basically the best ball in it's price range, and their driver just won the most wanted. New kid at work is playing the 565 irons too and they look and feel incredible.

Yup - throw in the Cleveland putters as well.

Tour Edge Exotics. I picked up a 3w several generations old. Bought it for the Speeder shaft. Hit a few times and it's in my bag. May look at a driver if it has that shaft. Probably won't pay $600 for their newest driver. I can't believe they're trying for that market.

Tour Edge Exotics. I picked up a 3w several generations old. Bought it for the Speeder shaft. Hit a few times and it's in my bag. May look at a driver if it has that shaft. Probably won't pay $600 for their newest driver. I can't believe they're trying for that market.

Yup, their fairway woods can go up against anyone else in the business

The very first clubs I ever purchased were made by Wilson.   It was a starter set labelled Sam Sneed Blue Ridge.   Perhaps, after many, many years I have come full circle and Wilson should be the last clubs I purchase.

Well on this site you can never say the "last" clubs youll purchase. But I will tell you as I'm sure you are aware, the current Wilson Staff line of any irons are about as far from a Box Set as you could get.

That's kinda the rub, not you, as a member here you are very well informed, but a lot of people that aren't as informed still unfortunately have that outdated opinon of Wilson Staff. I'd love to see them hire an ad agency that came up with a campaign that could dispel that and at the same time really get people excited about the brand and product.

Everything you said about the Q Star and 565 driver and irons is spot on!!

I'd have to say Srixon/Cleveland or Tour Edge. I just picked up a E8 fairway tonight's as the first time out and I'm impressed so far.

It was mentioned earlier, but if I had to play all one brand I could easily do that with Srixon/Cleveland.

I also think Cobra is up there, just haven't played a lot of their stuff so I can't say for sure.

WITB

Bag: Ogio Silencer Cart

Driver: 915D2 10.25 Anmkara Attitude

3/4 Wood: Currently MIA

Hybrid: 910H 21* Diamana 'ahina

Irons: 712 AP1 DGs300

Wedges: SCOR 50, 54, 58 KBS Genius12

Putter: Ping Ketsch w/ flatso 1.0

Ball: Bridgestone B330

Cart: Clicgear 3.5+

Most underrated?  Or maybe just unknown by most... my vote would go for Orlimar. 

I still play with my Orlimar CANNON driver once in a while, as well as the TriMetal and TriMetal II fairway woods. 

The Orlimar wedges seem to work pretty well for my game. 

T8HMxsy.jpg

Love trying new equipment and staying informed of current trends and developments.  Over the years, I have owned Callaway, Ping, Mizuno, Srixon, Cobra, Adams, Orlimar, Snake Eyes, Cleveland, Wilson/Staff, Lynx, Ram, and Dunlop.  Belong to a golf league at my workplace, am an alternate for another golf league, and spend my free time golfing with my wife, (who is also on a golf league!), or with other friends. 

Callaway RazrX irons, 6-P, standard loft, regular flex

Callaway RazrHawk Fairway Woods 3, 5, 7, regular flex

Callaway Big Bertha Fairway Wood 9, regular flex

Callaway Xhot Driver, 10.5, regular flex

Cleveland RTX Wedges, 56* 60*, standard loft, regular flex

Cleveland TFi 6.5 Putter
Right Handed

Madison, WI

18 Handicap

• 1 month later...

What didn't you like about it?

Not that I don't like them. I just put the Pro V1 back in play. I know exactly what to expect out of it. I am trying here to like something else. I think I'm going to have someone scrub the writing off 4 different brands and do a test that way. As blind as I can get.

The B330S was great when it was super windy here, great ball all around. I'd give it a 8.88 out of 10.

- Alan