TESTERS WANTED! ×

Most Underrated Equipment?

Srixon, Cobra and Bridgestone are the 3 brands I'd put up at the top of the underrated list.

Before a few years ago I'd never heard of Srixon but it was love at first strike!  Had the 45 series in the bag and updated to the 65 series this year.  I've hit everything that's out there and these are by far my favorite irons I've ever had in the bag.

Cobra makes a really good product across the board but they don't get much attention by the masses.  The FlyZ+ irons were outstanding and the new F7 line is flat out awesome.

Bridgestone also makes some fantastic golf clubs.  Sadly they just don't invest in the US retail market to be competitive.  And this new Tour B line of irons going only custom fit was a bad move IMO.  The previous J15 line, especially the CB, were fantastic golf clubs.  Just wish the company did more with the golf side of the business outside of balls.

Srixon and Bridgestone. Their equipment from club to ball is top notch.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

Bridgestone clubs are fantastic! The J40 line was incredible, still,playing the hybrids and I wish I still had the DPC irons,

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

• 6 months later...

I can't believe I read through this entire 5 page thread and only one person mentioned the Adams. 

CB3, CMB, etc... their forged irons were/are supposed to be as good as you can get.

shame, shame, shame

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Was always intrigued by Bombtech and their Grenade line up, but heard good things. Also feel Cleveland is underrated with the new HB line. Always have a special place for Cleveland classic/xl.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2021
Driver: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 9* w/ C.Kua Stiff

FW: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 15* w/ C.Kua Stiff

HY: Cleveland Launcher Halo 19* w/ C.Kua Stiff 

Irons: Titleist 716 AP1 4-PW w/ KBS 90 Stiff

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, & 60^

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Laguna 2 OR OG Futura

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1/V1x OR Chrome Soft TT

Bag: Sun Mountain 2019 4.5 14way carry

Clothes: Nike OR Under Armour 

Anyone know anything about the old Snake Eyes clubs? Were they clones or Golfsmith's attempt at making their own in house design clubs?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Anyone know anything about the old Snake Eyes clubs? Were they clones or Golfsmith's attempt at making their own in house design clubs?

From what I remember they were their own brand mostly known for their wedges. Golfsmith bought them and expanded them to be a component line along with other component lines they sold. Dont think they were officially clones as they didn't attempt to replicate other OEM clubs.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Their original wedges were supposed to be pretty nice. Once they sold out to Golfsmith that was kind of the end of them though as they went component only. Although I do remember Scott Verplank playing the Golfsmith blades for a while.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

• 2 years later...

Thought this would be a cool thread to bring back out since it's been a few years.  Many of the folks were saying Cobra, but with the speedzone driver and the hybrids/fairways over the past couple years, they seem to get more play.  

I had a rental set of Clevelands last year and they were very good actually.  Never had them come to mind in buying decisions, but I will have to make sure I give them a fair shake.

Also, before trying Srixon irons at Club Champion last year - I never gave them much of a shot except for finding a great deal on a tour level ball.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

For me, it’s kind of by category:

1. Cleveland irons are underrated (everyone knows their wedges are great)

2. Tour edge hybrids and woods are underrated

3. Adams hybrids and woods were well respected in their heyday, but underrated now when you can get them for $30 and many are still better than $299 new models

4. Bell putters are unheard of and underrated

5. Cobra overall is seen as a “budget” brand by a lot of golfers but everything they make stands up to or beats anything else out there

6. Wilson staff is underrated for their irons

7. Mizuno woods and drivers are currently underrated (their irons obviously have a well deserved cult following)

8. Bridgestone is underrated for their irons

9. The later Nike equipment is underrated (a lot of the early stuff was junk)

Specific models that stand out to me as “sleepers” / stayed in Tour players bags way way longer than the oem would have cared for:

-Cobra LTD driver
-Cobra LTD 3w (still in brysons bag, was in Rickies forever)
-Ping S56 and Ping S55 irons
-TM Sim Hybrid
-Ping Anser Hybrid
-Cally X hot and X2 hot and 3 deep woods

Fun topic!

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

• 5 months later...

Underrated is such a hard topic to define.

I've had several brands in my bag (many listed) over the years and they usually get a raised eyebrow or curious glance from any golfer who isn't die hard into equipment. 

For the majority of Golfers if its not one of the big 4 (Titleist, Callaway, Ping, Taylormade) then it doesn't existed.

Personally I've always found Srixon and Bridgestone to be the most underrated company as a whole currently. Traditionally it's been Cobra considering they've been around since the 90's. 

For me, it’s kind of by category:

1. Cleveland irons are underrated (everyone knows their wedges are great)

2. Tour edge hybrids and woods are underrated

3. Adams hybrids and woods were well respected in their heyday, but underrated now when you can get them for $30 and many are still better than $299 new models

4. Bell putters are unheard of and underrated

5. Cobra overall is seen as a “budget” brand by a lot of golfers but everything they make stands up to or beats anything else out there

6. Wilson staff is underrated for their irons

7. Mizuno woods and drivers are currently underrated (their irons obviously have a well deserved cult following)

8. Bridgestone is underrated for their irons

9. The later Nike equipment is underrated (a lot of the early stuff was junk)

Specific models that stand out to me as “sleepers” / stayed in Tour players bags way way longer than the oem would have cared for:

-Cobra LTD driver
-Cobra LTD 3w (still in brysons bag, was in Rickies forever)
-Ping S56 and Ping S55 irons
-TM Sim Hybrid
-Ping Anser Hybrid
-Cally X hot and X2 hot and 3 deep woods

Fun topic!

Great list Grit.......you spent a lot of time on this.

I agree with #2, #5 and #6. Cobra has always been my favorite, both irons and woods(see ccc 2 & 3). I have A TE Exotics Driver & CBX119 Hybrid. Then for #6 I have a Wilson Triton Driver & D7 irons

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Cobra F8 (12*)w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW + GW + SW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore LW(58*) w/DG Spinner shaft. Putter: 33” Slotline SSi 693 Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 3 years later...

So many DTC companies fall in this category now. 

Wilson may be the biggest brand name that continues to perform but not get the love they likely deserve.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Single length clubs by anyone. Greatest thing since the 14-way divider top. IMHO

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade R15, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Heat II Single Length Irons 4-AW, SW, LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico