Aotearoa_Brad     Stage 1     Stage 2     Stage 3

stdnasty                Stage 1     Stage 2     Stage 3

Visit Cobras website HERE

Like Cobra on Facebook HERE

Follow Cobra on Twitter HERE

Visit Cobras Instagram HERE

yJvKvuV3cZTPB3kO3ekTQjE80xndzTZM-I-9eiOx
COBRA KING F7 ONE LENGTH IRONS

I’d heard about the single length iron concept a little bit, but it wasn’t until watching Bryson Dechambeau on the range and getting to follow him around for a few holes at the Sony Open earlier this year that I thought there was really something to this. The idea that you can remove a large part of the variability in swing by having clubs of the same length really intrigues me – why? Well, I’m glad you asked…

A little about me…
I’m a 36 year old Healthcare Executive living and working on Oahu, Hawaii. I’m husband to a beautiful lady and proud father of two young girls. Oh, my wife and I have a side-business that we’re working on as well. This is just to say that my available golf time is limited and so, while I am as competitive a guy as anyone else, I spend my ‘golf time’ playing, not practicing.
I’m a solid 14.5 hcp, and if I were to describe my game in a single word it’d be “inconsistent” – a round for me will typically consist of a couple of birdies but also multiple bogeys and the odd double thrown in for good measure – which any of the guys on MGS who’ve played with me can attest to. I’ve eliminated the blowout hole for the most part, so my major challenge is hitting greens rather than the fringe or bunkers.

Actually, that’s a lie… I don’t have the power of Grayskull, so I rely pretty heavily on mid-irons rather than wedges to reach greens and so accuracy with my irons is the difference between a good round and a bad round.
This is why I’m intrigued by the single length iron concept – innovation through simplification – remove inconsistency by eliminating unnecessary variables. Now, whether iron length qualifies as an unnecessary variable is still up for debate, but hopefully I can get closer to the answer and share my journey with you over the next few weeks.

Okay, so what’s the competition? What’s currently in the bag…
Driver: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5deg Stiff
FW: Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 16.5deg 4-wood Stiff
Irons: WilsonStaff FG Tour F5 3 - GW (Aerotech Steelfiber i95 R+)
Wedges: Sonartec East Coast T46 (56 and 60 deg)
Putter: Center-shafted Seemore M3

So last week arrives and I’m all excited about getting new clubs but it turns out to be one of ‘those’ weeks… I’m sitting at the lights waiting for them to turn green and a car slams into the back of me – she thought that the light was green, so I reminded her that even if it was, you can’t drive through the car stopped in front of you. Great start! Then we have contracted vendors messing simple (extremely important) stuff up and rather than doing the stack of work I have I end up fighting fires and dealing with insurance.

Friday comes around and I’m beat. Ready to push the hard reset button on the week and just write it off, when I get an email to say that there is a package waiting for me at reception…

6a015431fc4e55970c01a3fcb0424c970b-pi

All of a sudden I forget about insurance and contractors and I'm on top of the world. It's Friday, and I've got new clubs - so I headed straight to the range to take some pics and hit some balls:

C2ZUo3EO-wcGow9XGesmSGEg1W6PekUx-T2ctQhr

ki9TSaXOW6bOf-FCFZZwsRsb82hL_2L9R2Nx90An

ccSrgYOHPfZJQ5HS8nQeI_aSKVcfIBv816Do6LK1

XL3EQRKRxbYMP5rV-0pbvQ2XeqTRuKGb_vM4MxHX

First impressions...
They're bigger than my current irons, but not obese. The offset may take a little getting used to so watch this space. There are some big cavities in the mid-irons and the long irons are hollow-body but from address you can't really tell too much. Overall the look is not off-putting, so that is a good start.

saCrrf4o-3aHXomkiWHGZWi5QNonrZohPaTGq3Y8

Let me know what you guys have questions about and I'll try and work this into my testing over the next few weeks!

Thanks again to Cobra and MGS for the opportunity to test these out!

Happy Memorial weekend all, and a massive shout-out to those who served and made the ultimate sacrifice!

Header.jpg

When I found out I'd been given the opportunity to review the Cobra King F7 One Length irons, it's fair to say that I was over the moon. I'm all for embracing things that others may find a little quirky or ‘other-than-standard' and I'd been following the One Length story after having followed Bryson DeChambeau during one of his rounds at the Sony Open earlier in the year. 

The single length iron concept is interesting to me because it is unique, but also because it has the potential to improve my consistency – the main area where, for me at least, “the struggle is real”. 

Aotearoabrad background – I'm 37, am a solid 14.7 hcp, and if I were to describe my game in a single word it'd be “inconsistent” – I generally start the round with a deal of consistency but make too many accuracy errors with my irons in the center third of the round. I'm not the longest driver of the ball (250-260 on average) and this places extra importance on the accuracy of my iron-game. The other piece playing into my inconsistency is that, while I can play year-round here in Hawaii, I find myself having little time for practice, which really doesn't help my consistency. 

The basic premise for Single length irons is that by having all irons the same length, you can utilize the same swing irrespective of the number on the club, and by reducing the swing variability you are able to increase consistency. All of the irons are 37.25 inches long (essentially a 6-7 iron length) and have the same lie angle. The only thing that changes is the loft and the head weights. 

Prior to even getting the King F7 One Length irons in hand, I hunted down the spec sheets so I could get a decent comparison between them and my WilsonStaff FG Tour F5 irons:

comparison irons.png

Observations:

• The Cobra King F7 One Length and Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 irons occupy different segments of the iron market, the Cobra King F7s firmly in the Game-Improvement category, with the FG Tour F5s taking up residence in the Players Cavity ‘spectrum' of irons available currently. 

• Game-Improvement irons tend to favor a ‘pro-distance' philosophy in their construction. As such, it should be no surprise then that the lofts on the F7 One Lengths are considerably stronger throughout the set. 

• F7 One lengths are the equivalent length of a 6-I for me… and are all the same length… ;)

The Cobra King F7 One Length stock shaft is a “True Temper F7 King” (steel, stiff). I have been playing Aerotech Steelfiber i95 shafts in the FG Tour F5s, also stiff flex.

Enough with the intro, on with the review!

clubs1.jpg

Performance

Short Iron Performance (9i – GW)

I'm generally confident with short irons, my miss being a little high on the face and short of the target as a result. The short irons are at the less-tech end of the Tec-Flow spectrum and are more like a traditional cavity back. What is different is having a 6-i length Gap Wedge…

Accuracy – The short irons are deadly accurate! Irrespective of where I aimed, that's where the ball went. I have a fairly consistent small fade in my FG Tour short irons, but this has not been evident in the Cobras – they are straight, straight, straight. 

Distance – I was expecting some added distance as a result of the length of the short irons, but it was pretty extreme. The lofts are consistently stronger than the FG Tour F5s and on average 2” longer across the 9-GW irons and I found the gapping and transition from short irons to wedges a little difficult to manage. 

Trajectory – Ball flight is medium-high with the Cobra's, but lower than my FG Tours – Getting the ball airborne has never been a problem. Most short iron shots for me are at 75-80% maximum and, with the help of the “wedge-spaced grooves” in the One Length's, have had no problems holding greens – a hop and stop with very little roll-out.

Forgiveness – This was a real surprise! I had a couple of 9i off the toe would normally have had me in serious trouble. With the Cobras they still hung onto the fringe. A little loss of distance, but not as much as I would otherwise have had.

Control – I don't usually try to work the ball so can't really comment on the workability of the short irons.

Short Iron Score: (80 of 100) 

20171127_091708.jpg

Mid Iron Performance (6i – 8i)

Accuracy – My normal shot is a straight/baby fade with my mid-irons and my miss being a …strong fade. I have had a few shots that sprayed but fewer than I normally would on average. The groupings are closer together and I'm finding that my confidence over the ball is improving the more I play with them. It's not an easy transition, but (as you'd imagine) easier with the mid-irons than with the short or long irons. 

Distance – It really took some time to get used to the extra distance that these irons provide. It's easily a full club, even in the mid-irons that have a similar length to my FG Tour F5s. It's more than I expected, so kudos to Cobra and the Tec-Flow technology. While it takes a while to get used to, I do find myself enjoying pulling an 8i when it would otherwise have been a 7i – even when no-one else is around to see it lol.

Trajectory – Again, lower than I'm accustomed to. This helps a little with the pretty consistent winds we have here and preventing ballooning, but not so much when you attack a pin and don't have a lot of green to play with.

Forgiveness – Consistent length across most of the face and my confidence has been high the past few months as a result. It's not that I know I'll be on the green every time, but I am sure that if I'm not, then I'll at least be close. As a result, I've had more birdie opportunities (and actual birdies I might add) over the past three months than ever before.

Control – Again, these fly pretty straight and I'm not a ‘worker' of the ball so cannot really comment on range of control.

Mid Iron Score: (91 of 100)

20171127_101912_001.jpg

Long Iron Performance (5i…) 

…that's right… the set comes standard from 5i up. You can get a 4i, but it is a custom order. This is where my fondness for the set wavers somewhat… 

Accuracy – There is no doubt that the 5i is accurate. The Tec-Flow progresses to a hollow-body iron for the 5i and it's really not my favorite. The sound is…well…a hollow thud – which I don't find appealing. I probably shouldn't complain because I do enjoy the results of consistently hitting a long iron well (i.e. where you aim it). It is a far cry from the feel of the FG Tour irons though.

Distance – I found that the distance gains in the short and mid irons were not as substantial with the 5i. Still longer, but about a half club longer than the FG Tour equivalent. This is most probably a combination of the lower loft but is offset by the shorter length of the 5i.

Trajectory – Low. Fine unless the greens are protected up front, but a challenge to hold them because of how low the trajectory is if you fly it to the green. This is probably my biggest complaint through the set is that the trajectory is substantially lower than I'm used to – especially in the longer irons.

Forgiveness – It's difficult to stress enough how forgiving the irons are right through the set. The consistency of distance on mishits is ridiculous. 

Control – You can work the 5i a little more than the mid and short irons, but (again) it is not something that I do frequently on course so my experience with doing this was limited to the range.

Long Iron Score: (75 of 100) 

20171127_094715.jpg

Performance Notes

The single length Cobras have been in and out of the bag for the best part of the last 4 months and have made an interstate trip as well. Honestly, the biggest challenge has been getting used to the distances. The single length concept appeal for me has been mainly around the potential gains in consistency and I was hoping that the transition time would be quicker than it has actually taken.

To be fair, I had a pretty serious ankle ligament injury shortly after receiving the irons which still causes me some trouble and has impacted my golfing capacity. 

All that said, I have gained some consistency over the last few months and the biggest evidence of that, on course, has been the increase in the number of birdie opportunities that I have had. I'm regularly giving myself opportunities at multiple birdies per round which has been a significant step in the right direction. I still throw in the odd blow-up hole here and there, but that's been more to do with Driving accuracy than with my irons.

Total Performance Score: (82 of 100)

view to green.jpg

Subjective

Looks

General Shape - They are certainly bigger than a lot of more traditional irons, but similar size to others in the GI class. They are a little longer heel-to-toe than I'm used to, and I would change that if possible to do so without reducing performance.

Topline - The topline is pretty thick and, as you'd expect, certainly thicker than the FG Tours. It is similar to the majority of other GI irons.

Sole - The sole is really similar to the FG Tours, which was a surprise. Maybe just a hair thicker, but not to the point of distraction.

Offset – There is a decent amount of offset. Personally it does not bother me at all and hasn't affected the playability for me.

Graphics – Cobra did a really good job of the color-scheme with the irons. They used a different palette than with the variable length King F7 irons and I definitely prefer the blue of the single lengths. There are no gaudy decals and while there is a reasonable amount going on in the cavity it all ties in well and cannot be seen at address.

Looks Score: (91 of 100)

collage.PNG

Sound and Feel

I'm not a fan of the sound. While not as important to me as performance, the dead thud that the 5-iron makes is really not very pleasing. It reminds me of the sound of a rubber mallet and may well be because it is hollow-construction. The sound and feel as the set progresses from mid to short irons improves, so that is at least a positive.

There is a slight difference in feel between a flushed shot and a mishit, but not so much that the mishit hurts. 

Slight mishits still felt pretty good and I found the feedback on good vs poor shots was a combination of a change in feel as well as ballflight.

Sound and Feel Score: (75 of 100)

20171127_090115.jpg

Likelihood of Purchase (LOP)

As tested, I'm on the fence whether I would purchase the One Length irons. I'm still confident that the single length idea is a winner and as much as the performance is a positive, the sound and feel leave me feeling a little flat about them. I'd really be interested to see if the Forged version improve the sound and feel of the irons. If they do then the likelihood of purchase would increase dramatically. As tested, I'd be hard pressed to part with my own money for these.

LOP Score: (70 out of 100)

Total Subjective Score – (78.7 out of 100)

I came into this review having some pretty strong ideas about the benefits of the single length iron concept, if not specifically about Cobra's take on it with the King F7 irons. 

I've was expecting some increased distance and consistency from these irons, and they delivered. While performance is the most important, the sound and feel are a let-down and are the major reason that my review is not more of a overwhelmingly glowing.

Overall, I'm still optimistic that there are a lot of consistency gains available and I'm intrigued about what the next generation of Cobra's One Length irons provide, and also the Forged version of One Length. I'm certain that this won't be the only set of single length irons that finds a home in my bag.     

Total Score: (80.4 out of 100)

20171127_074915.jpg

• Handicap/Average Score
I generally shoot over 100. My best score has been a 108. I can't remember what the front and back scores were, but they will be different on any course.

• Strengths of My Game
I would say my irons are definitely my strong suit. I hit my sand wedge the best. Whether it is 40 yards or 15 yards, I can usually make the ball go where I want to with my wedge.

• Weakness of My Game
Last season I would only do a half swing to make my ball go straight. I have recently been watching a lot of videos online, and Rick Shiels does a video on how to grip the club. I watched this and implemented that grip, as well as a full swing to my game, and I could not have been happier with the results. Beyond that, I have been working on putting and chipping. My chipping is really coming along, but my putting not so much. I recently purchased the Odyssey Versa putter blade. There is no line on this club to match the ball up with, so I feel that I am not as accurate as I was with my prior putter. I feel that my accuracy will come back as soon as I get use to this putter.

• Typical Ball Flight
On a drive, my ball will start straight then has a hard slice to the right. Since I have changed my grip and swing, they have been flying straight. I just need to work on my aiming because now it seems as if I have an off shot. Often when I look at my feet, they are positioned the wrong way. I do this because of my old swing. I have a bad habit of aiming way left in order to make my ball land in play.

• Typical Miss
I constantly top the ball, but I am sure that I am not the only golfer that does this. I always want to look up to see where my ball is going before I get it there. It is easy to make fun of myself on here, but I need to remember to keep my head down and the club will do the work for my eyes. I always count it on my score card because the only person you hurt if you lie on a card is yourself.

• Current Comparable Equipment
I currently play a set of Taylor made Rocketballz, regular shaft. I hit these clubs better than any of my other clubs. I am interested to see what the Cobra F7 Irons will be like, especially because I prefer a stiff shaft in all my other clubs; that will be the big difference for me. I have hit the Taylormade Speed Ballz with the stiff shaft, and I hit them better than I do my regular flex ones. I hope I will be able to keep these Cobras in my bag and that they improve my game, but only time will tell.

my bag.JPG

• Swing Tempo
I try to stay at the same speed from my back swing the whole way through. I have used Orange Whip several times just to get used to the full motion. I am slowly remembering that you do not need to kill the ball. The key is to just have a nice, steady, full swing, and make good contact with the ball.

• What Makes You Love the Game?
I like being outdoors and getting a chance to hang with my buddies. I am a pretty competitive person, so it is a great way to challenge myself and better my game.

• How Long Have You Been Golfing?
I have been golfing for about three seasons now. I say seasons because I live in Pennsylvania, and I am unable to golf year round. This will also cover where I play. There are several country clubs in my area plus about three other local courses I can play. However, I love to play on a new course and challenging myself.

• What Kind of Golfer Are You?
I am a pretty cool, calm, and collected person. I try not to let it get to me when I make a bad shot because I often make more bad shots than I do good shots.

• What's Your Story?
I am 26 years old. I am an avid guitar player and fisherman. I have been playing guitar since I was a teenager. I am married to my high school sweetheart and love of my life. I do not have any children, but I do have four cats. I am a car salesman who sells new Toyotas and pre-owned vehicles.

Guitar room.PNG

• What's in Your Bag?
I have a set of Taylormade RBZ irons, regular flex, Ping I25 Hybrid, Cleveland Rotax 60 degree, Taylormade SLDR 3Wood, Nike Vapor pro driver, and an Odyssey Versa blade putter.

• How Did You Choose Them?
I bought the Nike Vapor right as soon as Nike announced they were no longer making clubs. I picked it up for about $150. Most of my clubs I purchased used, except for the Cleveland wedge. I went with the Cleveland because of the reputation, and the fact that you are able to make the ball have a reverse spin and stick to the green better. I purchased the Ping from a co-worker. I got the I-25 because it has more of an iron feel, which I hit better, so why not get that with my hybrid? I purchased the RBZ irons from eBay. This was a great buy because they were in my price rage, and were near mint condition when they arrived. I also picked up the RBZ Sand wedge. I purchased the Odyssey putter from a co-worker, and he gave me a price on it I couldn't refuse.

• Describe Your Short Game
My short game is coming along nicely. I started to really work on my short game later in the season last year, and my chip shots have really improved. My putting is OK; I am still a three putt golfer. I am getting better with my Odyssey putter. I previously played a Taylormade white smoke putter, and it had a line where to put the ball. The Odyssey does not have the ball line, but I am getting used to not having the line and jut eyeballing it.

• How is Your Wedge Play Currently?
I definitely hit my wedges more accurate than any of my other clubs, which is good because I will really be able to tell the difference between the two. I know I am an intermediate golfer but I really am going to put a lot of time and effort into this review. My Golf Spy is a great community that has welcomed me with open arms, no matter what my experience level is.

• What Are You Hoping to Get Out of the Wedges?
I am hoping to get better control with my wedges and to be more accurate. Ultimately, the main goal with these clubs is to get my score under 100. I will be happy if I can turn some heads on the course, all while having fun in the process.

IMG_0390.JPG
IMG_0391.JPG
IMG_0392.JPG
IMG_0393.JPG
IMG_0394.JPG
IMG_0396.JPG
IMG_0397.JPG
IMG_0399.JPG
IMG_0400.JPG
IMG_0402.JPG
IMG_0404.JPG
IMG_0408.JPG
IMG_0410.JPG
IMG_0415.JPG

• First Impressions
The Cobra King F7 irons have a nice top profile, and they feel very light. The Lamkin stock grips are soft and have a decent grip. They do not have a huge cavity; I actually expected it to be slightly larger. The clubs are not very off-set, which is similar to my Rocketballz. It also has a nice brushed aluminum sole.

Cobra F7 iron review

Player biography

I am definitely new to the game of golf. I have been playing for three seasons, and I have really been loving the game. My average score has been a one-twenty on eighteen holes. I have a Nike Vapor Pro driver that I have been hitting great. I have been out-driving some of my buddies, and that is a good feeling. My Nike has both stock grips and a stock shaft. Every now and again I have a bad shot, but generally I have been just crushing this club. This club feels great due to it being very light, and it also has a great swing speed. The downside of the driver is that there is no symbol on the club head to line my ball up with. I have been getting good at just eyeballing the middle of the club. I play with an Odyssey Versa putter, Cleveland 60 degree, Taylormade RBZ sand wedge, Taylormade 3 and 4 wood SLDR, then a Ping i25 3 hybrid. I have really been hitting the ping well compared to my RBZ hybrid (which I felt was junk).

IMG_0858.PNG

On the range

I have been trying to stick to a certain order in which I hit my clubs when going to the range. I like to start with the smallest club, then work my way up to the largest. The first club that I like to start with is my pitching wedge. Making a light shot with a moderate swing, I got to about fifty yards. All full hit with this club was ninety-seven yards. My balls seem to be going straight, and it is decently forgiving. The pitching wedge is my favorite club overall. More often than not, I get the ball onto the green when using this club. If hit at the right angle, the pitching wedge has a great “hop & stop.”

The second club that I like to use on the range is the gap wedge. The feel to the gap wedge is very soft, which helps me know when I make a nice connection with the ball. I can get to about fifty-one yards on a heavy shot, and about thirty-four years on a medium shot. The gap wedge feels light across the face. I am fairly new, so I still have some trouble with getting the ball to “hop & stop.” When you get a good pop, the ball will usually stop within a couple bounces after hitting the ground. I have been using this club twenty yards from the green. If I am any close to the green, I will use my Cleveland 60 degree wedge. The Cleveland has a great “hop & stop.” I am learning that it takes some time to master that technique.

The 9 iron is next up in my set. I can hit this iron about eighty yards on a good shot. This iron has a nice, crisp sound, is fairly light, and it feels really great when I make good contact with the ball. On a middle range shot with good contact, I can hit the ball to about eighty-five yards, and fifty-seven yards on a light shot. When I hit the ball on the heel of the iron, my ball shot low and a little to the right. When hitting the ball on the head of the iron with decent contact, I had great accuracy and got about eighty yards.

A crisp, perfect sound is what you get with the 8 iron when you make a thorough connection with the ball. It does not feel as good when the ball is topped, which is what happened to me when I hit the ball hard and on the heel. In this instance, the ball went low and to the right. My second shot is when I made great connection with the ball. A medium shot got me to about one-hundred and twenty-five yards.

I was able to make wonderful connection when using the 7 iron, feeling like I crushed the ball. I did notice that if you shoot under the ball, it sends a pain up the wrist. My medium hit got the ball to approximately one-hundred yards, and my hard shot went to one-hundred and thirty-five yards. When hit on the heel, the ball went low and to the left.

All around, I made satisfactory connection with the ball when using the 6 iron, especially on a hard hit. The hard hit got me to about one-hundred and fifty yards. My medium hit did pop up some, higher than my Taylormade. The irons have a deep cavity, and overall nice look.

IMG_0864.JPG

IMG_0853.JPG

On the course

Since I got the Cobra irons, I have been playing a decent bit of golf on the course over the last couple weeks. I am hitting the pitching wedge and gap wedge the best out of all the clubs. I am very impressed by the nine and eight iron as Well.

I am hitting the longer clubs (five through seven) very similar to one another. I have a lot of really good shots with irons five through seven, but I am not nearly as accurate with these clubs compared to the pitching, gap, and 9 iron. I am sure that this is due to taking more of a full swing with the larger clubs, which is throwing my accuracy off. When I connect with the longer clubs it is a thing of beauty! As long as my angle is correct, I have been able to get the short shots to stick on the green. Otherwise, I will accidentally do a punt shot and roll it over the green quickly. I am still averaging approximately a score of one-hundred and twenty for eighteen holes. I am however losing a lot less balls during the process. I have been going out on the course with a friend recently, and he is almost always an accurate shot. He hit a couple of my irons, and I had noticed that he was popping them up higher than his Callaway irons. I like the pop because they are not dying in midair, but seem to be dropping at the appropriate angle to stick on the green.

There was a Par three that was about one-hundred and eighty yard from the tee, and the green sat upon a large hill.

If you hit short the ball rolls down about thirty to forty yards. If you hit past the green, the ball rolls down a good fifty yards. I used my 5 iron, made a bad shot, hit the ball on the heel, and then shot it deep into the woods to the right. So, for the sake of making a good shot, I tried the shot again. I made a great connection with the ball, and hit it slightly to the right onto a small bank. The ball then took a good roll and landed on green. I had about fifteen yards from the hole, and I got it there in two putts. I would have made par on the hole if I did not make the poor first shot.

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_0622.JPG

Looks and overall appearance

I felt that the clubs would be more offset than they were from the pictures online. They are actually about the same offset as my RBZ irons. The chrome looks great on the shaft, which I prefer it to a dull, brushed aluminum look. I have overheard some people complain about the sunlight bouncing off the chrome shafts, which is distracting to some. Personally, I do not find this to be an issue. I know that it is a concern to some, but I tried to make it bother me and I have not been able to. I am not seeing that badly of a glare from the chrome.

The club head itself looks great. The brushed aluminum power shell bottom makes me feel like it is going to be a lot harder to scratch up. The King F7 logo looks great with the black and orange. The tech flow cavity also looks and feels amazing. Overall, the clubs have a very nice look to them.

IMG_0853.JPG

Sound and feel

The stock grips were as I expected. They have a nice feel but, overtime this will be something I will replace. Overall, the clubs have a nice, crisp sound when I get a good connection with the ball. If I hit under it and more into the ground, the clubs really put a jolting pain through my wrists. I try my best not to hit the ball like that, but on uneven surfaces that is not always the easiest feat. I love the sound I get when I make a connection, and there is no better feeling in the world (next to sex and of course winning the lottery). Weight wise, the clubs do not feel sluggish. I can swing the club at a decent rate without feeling like I am trying to kill the ball to get good distance.

IMG_0863.mov

IMG_0862.mov

Likelihood of purchase

I will be purchasing the F7 sand wedge to match the set. I plan on keeping these clubs in my Bag, and I will use them regularly. I would be crazy not too after the improvements they have made in my game. I have very few bad words to write about these clubs. The only bad thing I will say is I did not like how bad it threw my shot if I hit the club in the heel. I was happy with how accurate the toe shots stayed.

All around I really can say my game has improved. I am able to make better and more frequent contact with the ball. I do still have my occasional bad shot, which seem to fly low and to the right. It tends to do that when I hit the ball on the heel of my club. I am very happy with the irons, and would purchase them. I have great accuracy with these clubs and I am hitting every one of these clubs about five to ten yards on average, which is farther than my Rocketballz. The Cobra clubs will be staying in my bag. I am very glad I went with the stiff shaft on the Cobras, as my Rocketballs were regular flex. I only would do a half swing with the Rocketballs, because a full swing would cause my balls to slice. I have replaced every club in my bag with stiff shafts, and I am happy to say that I am able to use a full swing, and have playable balls that travel way farther than with my previous set.

Rating

Performance on course 30/40

(Only docking for the bad heel shots)

Range score

9/10

Looks

15/15

Sound and feel

11/15

Likelihood of purchase

20/20

Total score 85/100

IMG_0853.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

IMG_0858.PNG

IMG_0622.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0863.mov

IMG_0862.mov

Not sure if this is the correct place to put this because I'm new to these forums. Just wanted to express my opinion on the variable length Cobra F7 irons.

I was in the market for a new set since I've been playing with a much older set, the oversized Taylormade bubble shaft. It was a great starter set for me and enjoyed the clubs for the last few years while I started to learn how to play golf. My swing speed has gotten a lot faster and I felt it was time to graduate to steel shafts...so out I went to shop for a new set.

I initially picked up a Taylormade M2's but wasn't getting much better or longer shots than my current set. The pro shop employee came in to watch and suggested I try this "other club". I didn't look to see what it was but my very first strike was straight as an arrow and I hit it 175y (carry). I couldn't believe how far I had just hit a 7i. With mouth wide open in disbelief I grabbed another ball and hit it, 172 straight up the middle. Normally I would hit my bubble shafts about 150y so I felt a 25y increase had to be to good to be true.

It was time to figure out how this was possible...was it the computer screen not being accurate compared to real life? Was the loft completely different from my set? Was it me hitting on turf vs real grass? I had to find out. I returned another day with my 7i and 6i. It turned out with a bit of research that my 6i bubble shaft had a 30 degree loft which was equal to the 7i F7's. I warmed up with 20 shots and then hit 5 shots of my 7i, 5 shots of my 6i, and then finally 5 shots on the F7's 7i.

The results (apples to apples):

My 6i was hitting on avg 162y with a 15y variation off center.

The F7 7i was hitting 174y with a 6y variation.

I wanted to blast one last ball to see how far I could launch the ball because I felt I could put more into it while still controlling the ball. My last shot was 192y and 3y off center.

To sum it up, I was sold...I now own a set of Cobra variable length F7's. now for the best part...I've gone out 2x with the clubs so far and before then I'd say I'd normally hit somewhere between 107 and 112. First day I hit a 104 and then the second time I hit a 97. My 97 was only the second time I've ever scored under 100. Obviously I'm not a great golfer but I can for sure say that this set of irons has knocked off 8 to 10 strokes and I think once I adjust to the clubs even more I'm confident I'll be hitting under 90. I am truly amazed at how much more these clubs improved my hits vs the other clubs that I tried out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great start! Been looking forward to these.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Great start Brad. Good stuff as well ColdSteel.

One thing I'm curious to hear, and it can wait for your Stage 2 post, but do the irons feel overly clunky or have a lack of feedback to you. My very limited swings I took at a demo day with these kind of felt like that. I know that's a very subjective category, but will be curious to hear what you think.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Great start Brad--sorry to hear about your accident, that is a bummer.

As requested, a few questions on the single lengths as you get into the next stage: 1. What is the adjustment period like when looking down at relatively longer and shorter clubs at either end of the bag? 2. Are the ball flights and distances what you would expect given the number on the club? 3. Are the lower lofted clubs really as easy to hit as the 7 iron?

Thanks, looking forward to the next stage.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Thanks for your thoughts coldsteel and welcome to the forums!

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Great start Brad--sorry to hear about your accident, that is a bummer.

As requested, a few questions on the single lengths as you get into the next stage: 1. What is the adjustment period like when looking down at relatively longer and shorter clubs at either end of the bag? 2. Are the ball flights and distances what you would expect given the number on the club? 3. Are the lower lofted clubs really as easy to hit as the 7 iron?

Thanks, looking forward to the next stage.

Thanks Jiro, these are certainly going to be included in my analysis. The adjustment period should be interesting - I've had one round with them and... I can say that it takes longer than one round lol

Great start Brad. Good stuff as well ColdSteel.

One thing I'm curious to hear, and it can wait for your Stage 2 post, but do the irons feel overly clunky or have a lack of feedback to you. My very limited swings I took at a demo day with these kind of felt like that. I know that's a very subjective category, but will be curious to hear what you think.

Lengthy answer here so stick with me. Ok, so here is observations so far, and this comes with a heavy lesson. The 7i I tried in store had a stiff shaft. I bought regular shafts because I forgot to look at what type of shaft it was in store and couldn't believe that I'd be hitting a stiff shaft that well.

So here I am the new owner of regular shafts and on my initial driving range day I was hooking the balls pretty bad. I had a friend there who said it was more of a heavy draw but I really felt it was hooking. I was devastated for the price I had paid for the clubs, but determined was my goal to hit my shots straight. After watching a few YouTube videos I found out that there a few things that can cause this...so I adjusted my grip, but felt way to uncomfortable swinging. Next I started to notice that a lot of my shots were toe heavy, didn't have this problem with my old clubs. With some painters tape it was confirmed that my ball strikes were way on the toe of the club face. There are videos that talk about your swing and how to fix this but I really felt like I could just address the ball differently to control my "heavy draw".

My very first thought when using these clubs is that the address both looks and feels (more so looks) awkward but, I just ignored it and took a normal swing. I wish I could explain it but it was just a difference that I noticed. I wouldn't call it clunky, but maybe more like the head sits differently at address that gave me a slightly uneasy feeling compared to other clubs. I ignored it and took a natural swing and as I said before, amazing results.

Currently I address the ball with the ball centered up on the hosel. Bingo, works perfect, ball hits center on the club face and it goes straight. I feel this is a temporary fix and that ultimately I need to get my swing under control. However, on my first round out playing with them, I had a difficult 160y shot to the green. Directly in front of me was a nice full tree about 30y out. So I placed the ball at address with the outer edge of the ball at the edge of center face, aimed just right of the tree, took my normal swing and viola a perfect draw shot around the tree and landed the green perfectly. I like the idea of changing ball address to achieve side spin more than changing the mechanics of a swing.

Lengthy answer here so stick with me. Ok, so here is observations so far, and this comes with a heavy lesson. The 7i I tried in store had a stiff shaft. I bought regular shafts because I forgot to look at what type of shaft it was in store and couldn't believe that I'd be hitting a stiff shaft that well.

So here I am the new owner of regular shafts and on my initial driving range day I was hooking the balls pretty bad. I had a friend there who said it was more of a heavy draw but I really felt it was hooking. I was devastated for the price I had paid for the clubs, but determined was my goal to hit my shots straight. After watching a few YouTube videos I found out that there a few things that can cause this...so I adjusted my grip, but felt way to uncomfortable swinging. Next I started to notice that a lot of my shots were toe heavy, didn't have this problem with my old clubs. With some painters tape it was confirmed that my ball strikes were way on the toe of the club face. There are videos that talk about your swing and how to fix this but I really felt like I could just address the ball differently to control my "heavy draw".

My very first thought when using these clubs is that the address both looks and feels (more so looks) awkward but, I just ignored it and took a normal swing. I wish I could explain it but it was just a difference that I noticed. I wouldn't call it clunky, but maybe more like the head sits differently at address that gave me a slightly uneasy feeling compared to other clubs. I ignored it and took a natural swing and as I said before, amazing results.

Currently I address the ball with the ball centered up on the hosel. Bingo, works perfect, ball hits center on the club face and it goes straight. I feel this is a temporary fix and that ultimately I need to get my swing under control. However, on my first round out playing with them, I had a difficult 160y shot to the green. Directly in front of me was a nice full tree about 30y out. So I placed the ball at address with the outer edge of the ball at the edge of center face, aimed just right of the tree, took my normal swing and viola a perfect draw shot around the tree and landed the green perfectly. I like the idea of changing ball address to achieve side spin more than changing the mechanics of a swing.

Wow. I know that feeling of buying something then feeling like it's not going to work.

Good for you figuring it out and what a shot!! I only wish I could hit that big of draw on command.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Wow. I know that feeling of buying something then feeling like it's not going to work.

Good for you figuring it out and what a shot!! I only wish I could hit that big of draw on command.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yep...stomach sinking feeling. Before these clubs I couldn't have made that shot. I actually surprised myself. Normally would have used a 4i and punched it under the leaves and probably come up short of the green or a PW out to the middle of the fairway. Either way would have been an extra shot or two.

Great intros guys, looking forward to hearing more about these two sets in regards to feel, sound, and performance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Great work so far guys! Looking forward to seeing your thoughts in your Stage 2's!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been very curious about the one length irons, I'll be interested to what if any adjustments you have to make hitting a PW the length of a 7 iron or if you lose distance on your long irons because of the shorter shaft length.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

looking forward to the stage 2 and 3 reviews, expecially on the ONE length irons, I like the concept but like everyone else am concerned about having to change the ways we've been taught to swing with the different lengths and having to change spine angles and swing speeds ext...

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

• 2 weeks later...

Question about the one length clubs. What are your feelings about matching the one length wedges to the irons? Or would you suggest perhaps having traditional length wedges, or something in between? I would say it is my biggest hesitation towards trying one length irons, because I can't really wrap my head around it. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed but it seems like for chipping and pitching, if my wedges were 7 iron length, they would sacrifice some playability. Also, the cobra one length wedges are limited in selection. How would one be able to convert traditional wedge to a one length setup without severely impacting the swingweight and overall weight and feel of the club?

Question about the one length clubs. What are your feelings about matching the one length wedges to the irons? Or would you suggest perhaps having traditional length wedges, or something in between? I would say it is my biggest hesitation towards trying one length irons, because I can't really wrap my head around it. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed but it seems like for chipping and pitching, if my wedges were 7 iron length, they would sacrifice some playability. Also, the cobra one length wedges are limited in selection. How would one be able to convert traditional wedge to a one length setup without severely impacting the swingweight and overall weight and feel of the club?

The longer wedges would likely be very weird to get used to. I play my 50, 55 and 60 wedges all the same length, but they are shorter than my PW.

The standard set of the SL are 5-GW, but you could just buy single irons and then do what ever you like with your wedges. If you're looking to match all the swing weights, you may have to add a little lead tape, or find a lighter shaft.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Really curious about the one-length irons after Bryson getting a win on tour.

I have questions about distance and ball flight.

When you hit a 4 iron, does it have a 7 iron trajectory because of the shorter club?

Are you losing much distance?

What about a PW, does the longer shaft cause too much distance or too low of a ball flight?

I'm very intrigued by this, it I keep coming up with questions

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

• 2 weeks later...

Following along here as I play single length irons from Wishon.  I actually started looking for the Cobra when they came out but not very many fitters had them.  Did more research and the logic behind the Wishon Sterlings - the way they were built and designed - had me hooked a bit more than the Cobras.

I must say though, that I hit the Cobra at golf expo and really liked the feel off the face.

It has taken me 6-8 rounds to get used to the single length clubs but once you get over that they are very easy to hit.  I've shaved 1-2 shots off per round.  

I do play traditional length wedges but there's only about a 1/2  or 1/4 inch difference between each wedge.

My single length irons were fit to a 7 iron length (37").

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I'm the proud owner of a set of Cobra ONE Length, so if anyone has any questions about my experience I'd be happy to share.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on the one length? In particular I'm wanting to hear about any gapping issues, at either end of the set.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

It's going to be interesting to see how the average golfer can cope with not only a new set of golf clubs, but a new golfing concept on a whole. Personally, I don't see myself attempting the One Length challenge, but I'll be reading these reviews to see how you guys went.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

Archived