TESTERS WANTED! ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - COBRA F7 ONE/VARIABLE IRONS

JBones

Great reviews from std and cold. I'm glad to see game improvement irons that actually improve your game.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

• 2 months later...

I have the F6s in my bag now and absolutely love them. Anyone compared the F6 and F7 irons? Curious to see if there are any technological differences between to the two.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

NSM

Just curious in the long irons, say 5, is the trajectory a lot lower than a normal iron?  If so, are you having any problems holding the greens with a lower trajectory compared to "normal" iron shots?

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Just curious in the long irons, say 5, is the trajectory a lot lower than a normal iron? If so, are you having any problems holding the greens with a lower trajectory compared to "normal" iron shots?

This is coming from a golfer who just started breaking 100 with these irons so keep that in mind. Because of the loft on these clubs (variable length) it is most definitely lower than a traditional loft when comparing clubs. I don't really notice any issues with the ball sticking on the greens though. The better I hit my shots the higher up they go but I'm thinking that's just my skill and not a club issue.

What I find hilarious is that when I tee of on say a par 3 hole that's 200y out, I'll use my 5i and make a great shot. Everyone in the group asks what I hit and I tell them honestly...off to their golf carts they go to grab their 5i. Then they all hit it way short. Know your own distances for your clubs and how the loft affects your play and it won't matter if the ball runs a bit more than other clubs.

If I know I'll reach 190 and run 10y with the 5i and the flag is 195 out, best be grabbing my 6i, know what I mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Hey team,

Just wanted to resurrect this thread and offer my sincere apologies. My review has taken a lot longer than it should have. I was out with a pretty bad ankle ligament injury for quite some time, but I should have gotten this up earlier. Given the recent announcement of the new version of the one length irons, let me know if you have any questions and I'll endeavour to answer them (based on my experience anyway).

Link to Review:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/19713-official-forum-member-review-cobra-f7-onevariable-irons/?p=291845

• 1 month later...

Greetings all. I gamed the G7 One Length Irons for all of 2017 and I won't get too technical, but I play about 4-5 times a year, and consistency is my top priority. If If I were going to play once a month or more frequently, I feel that I would be more consistent so then the focus for me is shaping shots into the green, but since I intentionally lay up, consistency is more important. 

The Cobra One Length irons are for those that play infrequently. You should have no expectation other than having a more consistent swing which would enable you to keep up with others in your foursome. If you're playing for fun, then the yardage gaps shouldn't be an issue because the point is to make forward progress on the fairway, not dropping a ball within 3' of the hole and getting it to stop.

For 2017, I never got the gapping down between the 4-6 irons. There was a 210 yard par 3 at a local track and I pulled out the 4i and flew the green. For giggles, I hit the 5i and I was a yard short of the green. Both shots had great trajectories and since this hole is in an old quarry, there wasn't much wind to influence the direction of the ball once it got in the air. If the 4i landed in the middle of the green from 210 out and then rolled towards the back of the green, I would have been ok with that shot, but for the 4i to go longer and the 5i to be shorter than 190-200 yards, I felt there was a gaping issue. 

When I played more frequently, rather, from '08-11 when I had Titleist AP2's, my 7i would fly 155, 6i would fly 165, 5i would go 180-ish, the 4H would be my 195-200 yard club. The AP2's were the first generation AP2's in '09. Since then, we obviously have had more tech inflused so it would makes sense to have stronger lofts and more distance right?

If you play golf, and go to a One Length club, then you should temper your expectations. if you're taking Golf up for the first time, One Length is perfect for you. If you play very infrequently, One Length is for you, just be happy you're hitting it straight. 

Again, the Cobra One Length irons are for those that play infrequently. You should have no expectation other than having a more consistent swing which would enable you to keep up with others in your foursome. If you're playing for fun, then the yardage gaps shouldn't be an issue because the point is to make forward progrress on the fairway, not dropping a ball within 3' of the hole on a green. 

:callaway-small:      GBB Epic Driver 10.5 degree, Project X HZRDUS T800 55 Graphite - Stiff

:ping-small:  G400 3 Wood 14.5 degree, PING Tour 75 - Stiff

:nike-small:       Vapor Fly Hybrid 17 degreeMitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 80H - Stiff

:ping-small:  G400 4 - UW Irons, Pro-Modus 120 - Stiff 

:titelist-small:    Spin Mill Vokey 56 Wedge

:titelist-small:    Spin Mill Vokey 60 Wedge

EvnRoll     ER3 

:titelist-small:    NXT Tour ball

Greetings all. I gamed the G7 One Length Irons for all of 2017 and I won't get too technical, but I play about 4-5 times a year, and consistency is my top priority. If If I were going to play once a month or more frequently, I feel that I would be more consistent so then the focus for me is shaping shots into the green, but since I intentionally lay up, consistency is more important. 

The Cobra One Length irons are for those that play infrequently. You should have no expectation other than having a more consistent swing which would enable you to keep up with others in your foursome. If you're playing for fun, then the yardage gaps shouldn't be an issue because the point is to make forward progress on the fairway, not dropping a ball within 3' of the hole and getting it to stop.

For 2017, I never got the gapping down between the 4-6 irons. There was a 210 yard par 3 at a local track and I pulled out the 4i and flew the green. For giggles, I hit the 5i and I was a yard short of the green. Both shots had great trajectories and since this hole is in an old quarry, there wasn't much wind to influence the direction of the ball once it got in the air. If the 4i landed in the middle of the green from 210 out and then rolled towards the back of the green, I would have been ok with that shot, but for the 4i to go longer and the 5i to be shorter than 190-200 yards, I felt there was a gaping issue. 

When I played more frequently, rather, from '08-11 when I had Titleist AP2's, my 7i would fly 155, 6i would fly 165, 5i would go 180-ish, the 4H would be my 195-200 yard club. The AP2's were the first generation AP2's in '09. Since then, we obviously have had more tech inflused so it would makes sense to have stronger lofts and more distance right?

If you play golf, and go to a One Length club, then you should temper your expectations. if you're taking Golf up for the first time, One Length is perfect for you. If you play very infrequently, One Length is for you, just be happy you're hitting it straight. 

Again, the Cobra One Length irons are for those that play infrequently. You should have no expectation other than having a more consistent swing which would enable you to keep up with others in your foursome. If you're playing for fun, then the yardage gaps shouldn't be an issue because the point is to make forward progrress on the fairway, not dropping a ball within 3' of the hole on a green. 

Good insight from your experience with the irons but you kind of went off the cliff in the last 2 paragraphs.

I couldn't disagree more about most everything there....

You don't need to temper anything - it's a golf club, if you can hit a golf ball then you will be fine....sure, there's an adjustment period but Jaacob Bowden and Bryson DeChambeau have both been extremely successful using one/single length irons.

You make it sound like these clubs are only for beginners or those that play only a handful of times each year...which couldn't be farther from the truth.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Just noticed you're new here and I don't mean to scare you off or anything like that.

The MGS forum is built around people posting good stuff like this and giving good insight and opinions on experiences with all things golf.

just be careful making overarching blanket statements....

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

• 9 months later...

Update: I am sold on the one length philosophy and it works for me. Unfortunately last night though, I was at the range and the head snapped off my 7i right at the hosel (2nd shot of the practice). A quick search of online user reviews suggests that this is not an isolated issue... I'm hoping that there was simply a bad batch of shafts in there somewhere. I haven't been in touch with Cobra yet, but really hoping that they can help me out with a replacement.

Archived