TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cure my chipping yips!

TSauer

I've been struggling a lot around the green lately, to the point where I have zero confidence when I'm standing over the ball on short chip shots.

I've tried the hinge and hold that Phil taught. I've been doing some Shawn Clement techniques for a little while. But, there is nothing that I feel 100% comfortable with.

My problems include fat shots, hitting under the ball, or just some deceleration duff shots. I feel like I can hit my Ping G25 wedge just fine, so I usually try that. However, when I pull out any of my MD3 wedges (52/56/60), I have problems.

Can y'all help a brotha out with some tips?

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Phil's hinge and hold works if you put more weight on the front foot (right foot since your a Lefty like me) and turn/rotate your shoulders. Remember to keep that wrist flat at impact so the face doesn't pass your hands. Whenever I hit chips fat or go under, it's because it's an all hands swing and I'm not turning my shoulders.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

My instructor taught me to chip like a putt. Hold your club in the life lines of your hands, instead of your fingers. Tuck elbows in to your sides. Weight slightly toward the target, with ball in the middle of your stance. Rock your shoulders back and forth. The technique has helped me immensely!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

A "putter motion" is a good starting place for really short chips but eventually you have to involve your wrists. START DOING IT WITH YPUR EYES CLOSED. Our vision can play tricks on us.

Also, focus on a piece of grass at the front edge of the ball and try to brush that piece with the leading edge of your wedge.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

My instructor taught me to chip like a putt. Hold your club in the life lines of your hands, instead of your fingers. Tuck elbows in to your sides. Weight slightly toward the target, with ball in the middle of your stance. Rock your shoulders back and forth. The technique has helped me immensely!

I actually just started doing this for short chips. Not the grip part but everything else. Did your instructor give you a distance not to do the tucked elbows beyond?

- Alan

I actually just started doing this for short chips. Not the grip part but everything else. Did your instructor give you a distance not to do the tucked elbows beyond?

- Alan

No, but it is surprising how far you can hit the ball using the technique. I mainly use it for 30-40 yards and in. For the most part, I use the same length of swing and just vary the club I use.

This is it, exactly, putt the ball with a wedge. There was another post that said eventually you have to involve your wrists, that's not true, you don't need to, if you amwant to hit it farther, use a different club, another thing to try for short chips is the putt the ball with a hybrid, or fairway metal. You don't have to use wedges, unless you have to go over something, but then it's not a chip. I use 4 to 5 different clubs around the greens, but my base shot is just a PW that I use like a putter.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

... For most, it is not a physical problem as much as it is a mental problem. Golfers get so focused on hitting a good chip and since it is right in front of their eyes, it is easy to attempt to make the ball do what they want it to do. This means lifting, scooping, blading, fat chips etc. What worked best for my students that were struggling is:

Play the ball just off the toe of your rear foot. 
Put a little more weight on the front foot and kept there.

Shaft in a straight line from the front shoulder to the address position.

Look at a spot just in front of the ball and chip that spot ... not the ball. 

... This often cures any of the anticipatory chip problems and allows you to focus on the process, not the result. Later you can move your focus to the front of the ball, which in my opinion is ideal. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

When I chip like I putt, I tend to release the club; hands get ahead of the ball, and distance control is difficult.  The chip should have some body rotation so the hands can stay ahead of the club head.  I don't use a lot of wrist unless I need it; I like Steve Stricker's chipping motion because very little wrist is easier for me to control distance no matter what club I use.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

... For most, it is not a physical problem as much as it is a mental problem. Golfers get so focused on hitting a good chip and since it is right in front of their eyes, it is easy to attempt to make the ball do what they want it to do. This means lifting, scooping, blading, fat chips etc. What worked best for my students that were struggling is:

Play the ball just off the toe of your rear foot.

Put a little more weight on the front foot and kept there.

Shaft in a straight line from the front shoulder to the address position.

Look at a spot just in front of the ball and chip that spot ... not the ball.

... This often cures any of the anticipatory chip problems and allows you to focus on the processor, not the result. Later you can move your focus to the front of the ball, which in my opinion is ideal.

The mental part is spot on. That's what Stockton's book really helps with. Simplifies the physical part so that you can let it become 2nd nature and not something your paralyze yourself thinking about

If my chipping goes off, I practice with the lightest grip possible. I barely hold the club. This seems to really help with "clipping" the ball. It's very hard to flip the clubhead at the ball if you're barely holding the club.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

You could try this until you get your feel back

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Insert an alignment rod into the end of your wedge and set up with it on your right hip (since you're a lefty). Finish hands low, facing the target while maintaining your posture. On the subject of setup, generally a shorter club (choking up) is more consistent. Also make sure the toe of the club is flat is on the turf (essential for chipping).

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

If my chipping goes off, I practice with the lightest grip possible. I barely hold the club. This seems to really help with "clipping" the ball. It's very hard to flip the clubhead at the ball if you're barely holding the club.

This works for me as well. On shorts chips I make sure that my grip pressure is as light as my putting grip.

Usually on short shots around the green even 5-6 feet off the green I'd use my putter. Bad putt is better than bad chip.

This works for me as well. On shorts chips I make sure that my grip pressure is as light as my putting grip.

Usually on short shots around the green even 5-6 feet off the green I'd use my putter. Bad putt is better than bad chip.

I chip a lot with my 5 iron using a putting type stroke.  Pending what type lie I'll even toe it down so the heel won't dig. Works really well for me.

I saw Singh chipping cross handed today on the Champions PGA Championship.  Apparently he's been chipping like this for a couple of years.  You might want to change things up until those nasty old yips are gone.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Sad to admit this but one of my favorite club around the green is my wife odyssey chipper, may be the novelty aspect keeps thing fresh and interesting for me but everytime I put it in my bag I'd have a hole out or lip out during the round. It's stupid easy to use too.

A few times my buddies make jokes about it, but after I made a few bucks from them, no more jokes.

Obviously there can be lots of things going on.  If you are talking about chipping which is when you are just off the green and you want to get the ball rolling,  treat it like a putt.   Have the ball a little back in your stance (off the back toe) and just make a putting motion that gets the ball a few feet onto the green and then rolls to the hole.  you will probably have to use different clubs.   Also try to stay down through the chip and not raise up to see where the ball is going.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Sad to admit this but one of my favorite club around the green is my wife odyssey chipper, may be the novelty aspect keeps thing fresh and interesting for me but everytime I put it in my bag I'd have a hole out or lip out during the round. It's stupid easy to use too.

A few times my buddies make jokes about it, but after I made a few bucks from them, no more jokes.

It's a confidence thing and I wouldn't give a rat's arse what others thought if it works for me....   Just saying

Cleveland

It's a confidence thing and I wouldn't give a rat's arse what others thought if it works for me....   Just saying

Oh I'm no stranger to gadgets, I love my smartsole sand wedge, those uber high bounce lets me be more aggressive/ creative in or around the bunkers and thick rough. I usually only carry 11-12 clubs so I have room for extra "fun" clubs.

Oh I'm no stranger to gadgets, I love my smartsole sand wedge, those uber high bounce lets me be more aggressive/ creative in or around the bunkers and thick rough. I usually only carry 11-12 clubs so I have room for extra "fun" clubs.

Yea I love my Smart Sole. It works very well for me

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cleveland

A lot of players dig the leading edge into the ground or bounce it up into the ball because they have gone overboard with "hands forward/ ball back". Those golfers should get the hands and the ball much more neutral in the stance, open up a little and really get the feel for the flange or bounce riding along the ground through the shot. If you can feel the bounce thumping the ground under the ball the shot will come out cleanly. I like a little bit of play and release in the right wrist also to help vary trajectory and spin

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I've been struggling a lot around the green lately, to the point where I have zero confidence when I'm standing over the ball on short chip shots.

I've tried the hinge and hold that Phil taught. I've been doing some Shawn Clement techniques for a little while. But, there is nothing that I feel 100% comfortable with.

My problems include fat shots, hitting under the ball, or just some deceleration duff shots. I feel like I can hit my Ping G25 wedge just fine, so I usually try that. However, when I pull out any of my MD3 wedges (52/56/60), I have problems.

Can y'all help a brotha out with some tips?

First off, you definitely want to point your feet a little bit towards the target. Then, maybe try looking at a point just in front of the ball, and remember to accelerate. Try to hit that spot with the clubhead. If that doesn't work, try rotating your hips a little quicker through impact, ahead of the clubhead. Let me know if this works!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

My buddies make fun of me because I use a counterbalance putter. You know, the ones with, like, 2 foot grips? I know it's because they're jealous that I make putts and they don't :)

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

First, THIS and then, THIS

don't want to commit to hitting down and properly following through so I ease up, try to hit the ball gently and all kinds of problems ensue. when that happens, I'll go to the range and just make chips, focusing on mechanics and not worrying at all about where the ball goes. Pretty soon, things start feeling right and I can get back to aiming at things!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

First, THIS and then, THIS

don't want to commit to hitting down and properly following through so I ease up, try to hit the ball gently and all kinds of problems ensue. when that happens, I'll go to the range and just make chips, focusing on mechanics and not worrying at all about where the ball goes. Pretty soon, things start feeling right and I can get back to aiming at things!

I have this book at home, but it's been a while since I've looked at it. I think I'll give it another read through this week.

I have this book at home, but it's been a while since I've looked at it. I think I'll give it another read through this week.

I have mine on DVD, and I broke it down into sections and loaded on to my iPhone. My chipping was ok but not as consistent as I wanted til I tried Phil, now I'm more consistent and more confident in my short game. The only thing I add to Phil's instruction was Dave Pelz's deadhand grip.

I have mine on DVD, and I broke it down into sections and loaded on to my iPhone. My chipping was ok but not as consistent as I wanted til I tried Phil, now I'm more consistent and more confident in my short game. The only thing I add to Phil's instruction was Dave Pelz's deadhand grip.

I have Pelz's short game bible, but it's a little intimidating in size. I haven't even cracked it open yet.

Archived