TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shaft fitting question

I am currently using a big Bertha alpha double black diamond 816 head set to 11* with a fujikura evolution​ 2 ts 65 gram shaft that I am having a real hard time getting off the ground. It is so bad that I can't control it with the gravity core in the head! I am looking to go with another shaft. I am considering the grafalloy pro launch Blue to get the ball airborne. I have a negative AOA and ball speed on average around the 160mph mark. I'm​also considering the grafalloy platinum which is more in between the blue and red. Opinions?

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I currently am using Grafalloy Blue in both my driver and 3-wood. Great shaft. Grafalloy Blue is definitely a higher launching shaft (low kickpoint). Pretty low torque and inexpensive but definitely not a low quality shaft. I hit it better than I have any other shaft in a while and I have used a lot of premium shafts. However because of the high launch, I had to put my driver setting all on low which is fine. 

:taylormade-small:

:titleist-small:

I would look at some new Accra Dymatchs on ebay. You can get them pretty cheap and they are amazing shafts!

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

a negative AOA is in itself a hard thing to compensate against.

A shaft might help but only very slightly.

The swing speed you are generating is pretty good. Try this first.

Crank down the loft say 2 deg and tee the ball down then give is a real try for about 20 balls to see if that helps before

hunting down a shaft that isn't tested for your swing

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

• 1 month later...

I haven't played golf for over a week now and have just been working on some bad habits. One of them is that I tend to keep my shoulders level through the driver swing which I think is not helping my aoa.

Tonight I go to my brothers and he has a potato field behind his home. His wife's uncle had the old an old persimmon driver sitting in his garage so I asked if I could hit it. Well no joke I was hitting it mid high and dead straight. I am going to keep waiting for my new gear and hopefully this is a start of something good

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

I am currently using a big Bertha alpha double black diamond 816 head set to 11* with a fujikura evolution​ 2 ts 65 gram shaft that I am having a real hard time getting off the ground. It is so bad that I can't control it with the gravity core in the head! I am looking to go with another shaft. I am considering the grafalloy pro launch Blue to get the ball airborne. I have a negative AOA and ball speed on average around the 160mph mark. I'm​also considering the grafalloy platinum which is more in between the blue and red. Opinions?

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Do you have any other numbers?

Launch angle, actual attack angle?

Also were you going left or right?

Also where did you get that ball speed number?

It will help narrow it down.

Side note: Is it the speeder 661 or callaway speeder 665- either way I know the tour spec models feels stiffer overall, maybe you were trying to swing harder to feel it load

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Do you have any other numbers?

Launch angle, actual attack angle?

Also were you going left or right?

Also where did you get that ball speed number?

It will help narrow it down.

Side note: Is it the speeder 661 or callaway speeder 665- either way I know the tour spec models feels stiffer overall, maybe you were trying to swing harder to feel it load

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The aoa I got a few years ago from a demo day. It was somewhere around -4 if I recall. It was at the taylormade tent. The ball speed comes from my friends hd golf simulator. It plays from 155 to a high of 172 hence I think 160 is a reasonable assumption. Launch angle rarely over 10 degrees. I used to have a nice little fade but it became very inconsistent and turned into a low snap hook. The shaft was the motore speeder 565. I believe from the reviews I read the tini black 50 will launch higher. This is what I want

Got any competent fitters around you?  It's the easy answer but also the smartest and potentially the cheapest if you have to keep buying and trying different shafts.

I think we could all recommend higher launching shafts that might or might not work for you.  But it basically amounts to printing out the Titleist shaft chart and throwing darts at the higher launch portion of the chart.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Got any competent fitters around you? It's the easy answer but also the smartest and potentially the cheapest if you have to keep buying and trying different shafts.

I think we could all recommend higher launching shafts that might or might not work for you. But it basically amounts to printing out the Titleist shaft chart and throwing darts at the higher launch portion of the chart.

Literally nobody within a 4 hour drive

You really need to look at dynamic loft rather than shafts. 

For instance, if you have a steep AoA such as the -4 you suggest, then given the 11 loft of your driver you are looking at 7 degrees or even less at impact - not ideal if your shaft is tip stiff and fitted to a low spin head.

So instead of looking at the shaft as the route one culprit, you need to evaluate the way to get a flatter AoA. This can be a simple set-up change with no change to your swing whatsoever. This can be checked by just about any competent pro (forget about fitting for the meantime) who are located at just about every golf course you care to name. Where you play golf perhaps.

Once you have your swing AoA issue isolated and diagnosed, only then can you even start to look at fitting possibilities that will enhance driver performance. 

I know from video recording my swing that the reverse k which I think is causing that negative aoa. I will know more once the driver gets here

I've gone back to the callaway big bertha alpha 816 but this time with the kuro kage black tini 50 shaft and it's utter perfection for me. I was able to lower my loft from 11 to 10 and might even be able to get down to 9. Feels great.

Archived