Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cleveland-Srixon #FitLikeAPro: 6 Month Report

The Dansome

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the write up, defiantly has made me think more about Srixon as a top contender for my bag, need a new driver and wedges so i'll be checking them out.

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

Agree wholeheartedly on the Z565 driver.  There is just something magical about it.  Kind of has me interested in some 565 or 765 irons now

Srixon Z565 9.5* Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6x

Cobra F7 13.5* Aldila Tour Blue 75x

Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5* Aldila Tour Blue 85x

Cobra Amp Forged 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff

Vokey SM6 50, 54. 58

Agree wholeheartedly on the Z565 driver.  There is just something magical about it.  Kind of has me interested in some 565 or 765 irons now

I took the leap on both the 565 driver, (BEST driver I've owned in years!!) and a combo set of 565/765 irons and I love them.   Such a solid lineup from top to bottom for Srixon now.   Makes me wonder what the hell they can do in 2018 to improve, it's hard to imagine anything.

On another note related to this, I haven't seen KCLeo post here on on IG of late.  I hope all is well with him.  anyone have any idea?

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I took the leap on both the 565 driver, (BEST driver I've owned in years!!) and a combo set of 565/765 irons and I love them. Such a solid lineup from top to bottom for Srixon now. Makes me wonder what the hell they can do in 2018 to improve, it's hard to imagine anything.

On another note related to this, I haven't seen KCLeo post here on on IG of late. I hope all is well with him. anyone have any idea?

Not sure but think I saw KCLeo post something recently about being away for a few weeks...?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• SPY VIP

I took the leap on both the 565 driver, (BEST driver I've owned in years!!) and a combo set of 565/765 irons and I love them. Such a solid lineup from top to bottom for Srixon now. Makes me wonder what the hell they can do in 2018 to improve, it's hard to imagine anything.

On another note related to this, I haven't seen KCLeo post here on on IG of late. I hope all is well with him. anyone have any idea?

Redeployed, I believe he's at sea.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Redeployed, I believe he's at sea.

What no shot of lacing the 765 350 yards into the middle of the ocean. Man he's not taking this review thing seriously.

Thanks for the update!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I stopped in to my local fitter to talk about the 565 driver and they let me borrow one for a couple of days with the Mizu 6X shaft. I took it to the range yesterday afternoon and can't believe how forgiving it seems. It's almost point and shoot. I need to try and get an afternoon round today or tomorrow in to see if the distance is up to par.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

It is really good!!

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I took the Z565 out for 18 after work yesterday. It's extremely forgiving compared to the super low spin driver I'm playing, but still has good distance. From what I saw yesterday, I think my current driver (XR16 Sub Zero) is definitely longer when I hit it dead center, but I get punished badly for off center hits. I hit a couple of balls with the Z565 that were no where close to the center of the face and the distance loss wasn't that bad, plus it still went fairly straight which is a bonus.

I really have to think about this one. For the last couple of years I've been chasing drivers that produce those low spin bombs that fly past everyone and ignored all the other drives that didn't spin enough and went nowhere. This Z565 might be a great compromise. I also like that it doesn't seem like a hook machine, which has been more worst miss in the past. I wish my fitter had some of the other shaft options to try, like the HZRDUS Yellow. They only have Mayazaki Mizu shafts which I like, but I would also like to see the results from the other options. I can definitely see how this driver won the "Most Wanted" award.

Ok, sorry to say that I went back to my fitter at lunch today with every intention of buying the Z565, but...... I noticed they just got the new Ping G400 drivers in and couldn't resist trying them out. I hit the Z565 and the Ping G400 LS side by side. I got very similar distance and spin out of both of them, but what really surprised me was the forgiveness I was getting off the new Ping. It gave me better dispersion than the Z565, and also felt better. As a matter of fact the new Ping is one of the best sounding and feeling drivers I've ever hit. The Ping is pre-ordered. I think I would have been really happy with the Srixon, but when you consider that the Ping is also a little cheaper ($420 with the Tour 65 shaft vs $449 for the Srixon), I couldn't resist. FYI, both drivers were giving me around 2400 spin on average with total distance in the 280s (260 carry). You can't wrong either way.

Ok, sorry to say that I went back to my fitter at lunch today with every intention of buying the Z565, but...... I noticed they just got the new Ping G400 drivers in and couldn't resist trying them out. I hit the Z565 and the Ping G400 LS side by side. I got very similar distance and spin out of both of them, but what really surprised me was the forgiveness I was getting off the new Ping. It gave me better dispersion than the Z565, and also felt better. As a matter of fact the new Ping is one of the best sounding and feeling drivers I've ever hit. The Ping is pre-ordered. I think I would have been really happy with the Srixon, but when you consider that the Ping is also a little cheaper ($420 with the Tour 65 shaft vs $449 for the Srixon), I couldn't resist. FYI, both drivers were giving me around 2400 spin on average with total distance in the 280s (260 carry). You can't wrong either way.

Was the size difference between the Ping and the Srixon noticeable?

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Was the size difference between the Ping and the Srixon noticeable?

Yes, in that the Srixon looks a little more stretched back but not by much. Both drivers look great behind the ball in their own way. The Srixon has a nice classic, clean look. The Ping frames the ball nicely and makes you feel confident that you'll find the sweet spot. I prefer the look of the Ping but it's not for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Great read, I have been very interested in the Srixon line for awhile now, I have some friends in other parts of the country that rave about their irons, I just wish their club lineup was more readily available to the average golfer. It's rare to go into a golf retailer and find any of their clubs to hit.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Yes, in that the Srixon looks a little more stretched back but not by much. Both drivers look great behind the ball in their own way. The Srixon has a nice classic, clean look. The Ping frames the ball nicely and makes you feel confident that you'll find the sweet spot. I prefer the look of the Ping but it's not for everyone.

I think that Ping 400 is going to have a big year, any manufacturer that can promise the forgiveness of a 460, with an actual size of less than that will be a hit. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I'm heading to the States this time next year and fully intend to swing by Huntington Beach and do a fitting.

Thanks for this review and run down of your experience there, I have been enjoying Cleveland golf products that I've purchased recently and reading about your fitting with Srixon/Cleveland sealed the deal for me.

Srixon Z545 Driver

Cleveland Classic 5 wood

Cleveland Mashie #3 Hybrid

Srixon H45 #4 Hybrid

Srixon Z-565 irons (5-PW)

Cleveland RTX 2.0 wedges (48° & 56°)

Cleveland CBX 60° wedge

Cleveland TFi Cero putter

Srixon Z-Star XV

That's great to here. The early reviews I seem of the G400 seem very impressive. If I hadn't already bought two drivers in the past 10 months, I might be considering it. Ha

• 1 month later...

That's great to here. The early reviews I seem of the G400 seem very impressive. If I hadn't already bought two drivers in the past 10 months, I might be considering it. Ha

I don't know where you get all this cash $$$ from to keep buying clubs!  I need your job apparently.  HA!

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

I don't know where you get all this cash $$$ from to keep buying clubs! I need your job apparently. HA!

Salesperson of the Year pays off in more ways than one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know where you get all this cash $$$ from to keep buying clubs!  I need your job apparently.  HA!

In reality. I've only bought one set of irons and thst was only (6-P) and one Driver this year ............so far

• 9 months later...

2 changes to the bag since this was posted

PING G30 has replaced the driver

The Huntington Beach putter is in play

That is all

You'll need to go back to get the new srixon stuff

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

You'll need to go back to get the new srixon stuff

Don't encourage him, I believe first borns are already being promised to see who the Staff representative will be  :D

Did they talk at all about the advantages/disadvantages about using the 765 approach wedge versus using the RTX wedge?  I have the 545 set and I added the 565 approach when the line came out since they didn't offer it in the 545's.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading the first part about the trip to California and the fitting. I really enjoyed reading all the experiences very much. Thanks guys. As I started reading,a thought popped into my head - what happens if someone is at one of these fittings and isn't impressed or does not want the clubs or feels the new clubs are not as good as his set Maybe a question for MGS - has this happend? And of course,what do the say in the workforce this would be " a career killer"

Again it was a great read and enjoyed reading this 6 month follow up. A real commitment to go,to test,and to evaluate. Thanks all

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

Also by the way,someone posted a pic of a Srixon bag with a red MGS bag tag. That is nice.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

I was reading the first part about the trip to California and the fitting. I really enjoyed reading all the experiences very much. Thanks guys. As I started reading,a thought popped into my head - what happens if someone is at one of these fittings and isn't impressed or does not want the clubs or feels the new clubs are not as good as his set Maybe a question for MGS - has this happend? And of course,what do the say in the workforce this would be " a career killer"

Again it was a great read and enjoyed reading this 6 month follow up. A real commitment to go,to test,and to evaluate. Thanks all

We encourage all reviewers to be honest in their review of the equipment.

A couple things about this. The attendees knew what irons this trip was for and what choices were in play. So if they had any doubt or hesitation about the commitment to giving them a fair trial, I'm sure they would have passed.

Take GS_meyer for example. He's a 2 index, and he was wide open minded about getting fit for these. And has recently said, it's going to take something special to get them out of his bag.

If they had not worked for him, I have no doubt he would have given a detailed review about why they didn't.

We encourage all reviewers to be honest in their review of the equipment.

A couple things about this. The attendees knew what irons this trip was for and what choices were in play. So if they had any doubt or hesitation about the commitment to giving them a fair trial, I'm sure they would have passed.

Take GS_meyer for example. He's a 2 index, and he was wide open minded about getting fit for these. And has recently said, it's going to take something special to get them out of his bag.

If they had not worked for him, I have no doubt he would have given a detailed review about why they didn't.

...and if you ever are selected to do any testing for MGS and don't really like the product or it doesn't work for you there are ways (many, just ask!) to pass it along to someone else at MGS who might be a better fit for it.

Yes, it/they (whatever it is) are yours to keep and do what you'd like but the hope is you continue using it/them and post periodic updates for everyone in the community.  :)

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

...and if you ever are selected to do any testing for MGS and don't really like the product or it doesn't work for you there are ways (many, just ask!) to pass it along to someone else at MGS who might be a better fit for it.

Yes, it/they (whatever it is) are yours to keep and do what you'd like but the hope is you continue using it/them and post periodic updates for everyone in the community. :)

Absolutely correct and I'm a great example of that. After connecting with the mods after my review period was up I was able to send the clubs to another MGS member who was looking for that exact set. It's a perfect way to keep the reviews going AND get perspective from more golfers at the same time. Win-win.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Archived