GolfSpy MBP

Cleveland-Srixon #FitLikeAPro: 6 Month Report

Awesome write up and its great to see you loving the equipment that was provided. 

Looking at Cleveland/Srixon's lineup this year it doesn't truly surprise me, they have made quality equipment for a long time

• Like 1

Great writeup MBP!

Did you ever hit the 545 driver? If so I would love to hear a comparison on the 545 and 565. I was super accurate with the 545, but it just spun too much for me a robbed me of the distance. From everything I've read, the 565 is also much better all the around driver.

And I love the performance of the xv in the long game as well, but it just feels a bit too firm for me around the greens.

• Like 1

So the SLDR won't be making its way back in the bag anytime soon?

I don't think the SLDR ever even sniffed the bag.

Oh look, it's lunch time.

• Like 1

Great writeup MBP!

Did you ever hit the 545 driver? If so I would love to hear a comparison on the 545 and 565. I was super accurate with the 545, but it just spun too much for me a robbed me of the distance. From everything I've read, the 565 is also much better all the around driver.

And I love the performance of the xv in the long game as well, but it just feels a bit too firm for me around the greens.

Thanks yo.

Never hit the 545, but sounds a lot like my Vapor driver--dead straight with zero distance. This years line has all the fancy new tech, like wave soles and I think these are a whole new breed of drivers. I'm really surprised how well these perform.

Ya the XV is money on full shots, but needs to be a touch softer around the greens for sure.

• Like 1

Man, that's the best thing I've read in a long time!!  I would say a real page turner, but more of a real bar scroller :)    Seriously I was devouring every word.   Loved hearing how each segment of the setup is performing. 

Personal note: From I'd say 2003 to 2008 or so I was exclusively Cleveland, that was mainly due to a couple good friends who worked there and some awesome deals I was able to get as well as the clubs just flat out performing, to borrow your phrase.   

As the friends moved onto other companies and Cleveland kind of falling off in some of their products, Yes HiBore I'm talking to you...LOL   I kinda drifted to other brands.  The last club to go form my bag was a 54 degree 588 DSG wedge that I was custom made for me in 2005 that I literally played until the grooves wore off. 

But after hearing rave reviews of the 545's two years ago, I became intrigued in the brand again.  I briefly met Eli at last years PGA Show and came away liking the guy a lot and ran into my one lone remaining friend, who gave me a rundown on all the new product.   

Enter the 2016 #FitLikeAPro experience for MGS members and I couldn't get my name in fast enough, but alas didn't make the cut out of the what was it over 1,500 entries...ha  But I followed your guys updates intensely, both on here and and IG.  

Following that was a few posts by you to me and on twitter etc, every time I said I need to look at these irons, you said I absolutely needed to.  So I do as I'm told, and ended up with the combo of 565/765 that I've talked about in a few threads.

But I have to say, to hear you talk about the 565 driver has me jumping for joy.  I ordered it last week after talking it over with our local rep, and it wasn't even him pitching it was just more of a conversation, where, I said..."Why don't you put an order in for one of those for me, and let me see what it's all about"   Now it sounds like I have something really to look forward to.  

Anyway, not sure why I led everyone on this long rambling road down my own version of  Srixon #JourneyToBetter, but I'm a big fan of what they are doing right now and excited to add it to my bag this season. 

Thanks again for taking the time for the great write up. 

• Like 5

Man, that's the best thing I've read in a long time!!  I would say a real page turner, but more of a real bar scroller :)    Seriously I was devouring every word.   Loved hearing how each segment of the setup is performing. 

Personal note: From I'd say 2003 to 2008 or so I was exclusively Cleveland, that was mainly due to a couple good friends who worked there and some awesome deals I was able to get as well as the clubs just flat out performing, to borrow your phrase.   

As the friends moved onto other companies and Cleveland kind of falling off in some of their products, Yes HiBore I'm talking to you...LOL   I kinda drifted to other brands.  The last club to go form my bag was a 54 degree 588 DSG wedge that I was custom made for me in 2005 that I literally played until the grooves wore off. 

But after hearing rave reviews of the 545's two years ago, I became intrigued in the brand again.  I briefly met Eli at last years PGA Show and came away liking the guy a lot and ran into my one lone remaining friend, who gave me a rundown on all the new product.   

Enter the 2016 #FitLikeAPro experience for MGS members and I couldn't get my name in fast enough, but alas didn't make the cut out of the what was it over 1,500 entries...ha  But I followed your guys updates intensely, both on here and and IG.  

Following that was a few posts by you to me and on twitter etc, every time I said I need to look at these irons, you said I absolutely needed to.  So I do as I'm told, and ended up with the combo of 565/765 that I've talked about in a few threads.

But I have to say, to hear you talk about the 565 driver has me jumping for joy.  I ordered it last week after talking it over with our local rep, and it wasn't even him pitching it was just more of a conversation, where, I said..."Why don't you put an order in for one of those for me, and let me see what it's all about"   Now it sounds like I have something really to look forward to.  

Anyway, not sure why I led everyone on this long rambling road down my own version of  Srixon #JourneyToBetter, but I'm a big fan of what they are doing right now and excited to add it to my bag this season. 

Thanks again for taking the time for the great write up. 

Thanks for the kind feedback, I'm glad I was able to steer you in the right direction on irons and you will not be disappointed with the driver.

So you've met Eli eh? You can see what I mean by natural every day guy to talk too, really good guy.

Ok now go get that driver and report back, really looking forward to your thoughts.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind feedback, I'm glad I was able to steer you in the right direction on irons and you will not be disappointed with the driver.

So you've met Eli eh? You can see what I mean by natural every day guy to talk too, really good guy.

Ok now go get that driver and report back, really looking forward to your thoughts.

Met in the very loose term of the word.  He was busy doing some swing analyzer demo's at the Show and I was standing around waiting for my friend to finish with another customer, and I listened to him do several of the demo's, he offered for me to come give it a try and I was too embarrassed to get up on a platform in the middle of a large booth and put on the fright show that is my swing.   But just watching someone interact with the general public for a period of time, you can get  pretty good feel for the type of person.   I honestly don't think there was anywhere in the world he would have rather been that day.   i do hope to get to officially meet him sometime. 

As to the driver, hopefully it arrives by Friday.  I have a 54 hole tournament on Monday the 5th that will be an ideal workout for it!

• Like 2

Met in the very loose term of the word.  He was busy doing some swing analyzer demo's at the Show and I was standing around waiting for my friend to finish with another customer, and I listened to him do several of the demo's, he offered for me to come give it a try and I was too embarrassed to get up on a platform in the middle of a large booth and put on the fright show that is my swing.   But just watching someone interact with the general public for a period of time, you can get  pretty good feel for the type of person.   I honestly don't think there was anywhere in the world he would have rather been that day.   i do hope to get to officially meet him sometime. 

As to the driver, hopefully it arrives by Friday.  I have a 54 hole tournament on Monday the 5th that will be an ideal workout for it!

My buddies arrives Friday and he's already booked an afternoon round lol

• Like 1

Great review. Nothing like feeling that your set up is right! It comes across in your enthusiam. Not fan boy at all, just happy golfer.

I have always liked Cleveland product and agree with Carolina Golfer 2 that they produced great drivers for years under the radar. Also concur that the 588 DSG was on the short list of GWOAT status (Greatest Wedge of All Time). Bring that design back! Anyway, good to see Srixon/Cleveland producing.

• Like 2

Great review. Nothing like feeling that your set up is right! It comes across in your enthusiam. Not fan boy at all, just happy golfer.

I have always liked Cleveland product and agree with Carolina Golfer 2 that they produced great drivers for years under the radar. Also concur that the 588 DSG was on the short list of GWOAT status (Greatest Wedge of All Time). Bring that design back! Anyway, good to see Srixon/Cleveland producing.

I agree with you on the 588 DSG and I'll use this opportunity to "name drop and humble brag" a bit.

By very fortunate circumstances I found myself playing in the 2013 Farmers Insurance Pro Am and we were paired with Sean O'Hair.  Really nice but quiet guy who was struggling quite a bit with his game at that time.   But through talking to him throughout the round, I discovered he is an equipment Ho and not a stranger himself to golf forums.   wouldn't' say which ones or what his screen name was...ha    

But we were standing around the 18th green I had my wedge in hand and we were waiting for one of the other players to finish putting out.   He asked to see my wedge and gave it a few waggles, and said, "This is a really nice feeling wedge, you didn't get this off the rack in a store did you?"  I said know it was made for me by a friend on their Tech Van.  He said, well, he builds a very good wedge, this thing is about perfect.  

Made me feel pretty good about it, and I passed it on to my friend.  But that was high praise from a Tour Pro who at the time was on staff with Taylor Made.  

• Like 6

I don't know how you guys can write all that stuff. Nice job for sure.

I know Plaid, to some it comes very easy (I'm not one) while I enjoy writing, not only for reviews but the basketball I cover during the winter, it's a true struggle at times.  I've sat next to writers who bang out a 800 word piece on deadline, while I'm sitting there trying to piece together my 2nd paragraph :o  Writing is truly a labor of love!! 

• Like 1

I would love to have a chance like this one day. It sounds like you're enjoying everything and I'm glad that the experience was so great!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

WOW what a great way with words! Awesome read and just another reason I love this site .

It's pretty obvious I have a club crush on the 565 driver! Sooooo it's just a matter of time before I lay one down

• Like 3

WOW what a great way with words! Awesome read and just another reason I love this site .

It's pretty obvious I have a club crush on the 565 driver! Sooooo it's just a matter of time before I lay one down

Don't wait to long the free HZRDUS upgrade ends tomorrow. The drivers were the most impressive part for me. Just switched to a 10.5 765 and it's crazy good. 10 ball average from the test today on Trackman

Ballspeed 177.3

Launch 12.7

Spin 1970

Carry 309

Total 331

These drivers flat out perform!!

• Like 4

I'm sure almost every single amateur golfer out there would love to have an experience like the one you guys with Srixon/Cleveland. And I'm glad (or is that jealousy I'm feeling?) that the hype is real for these kind of events! Hopefully next time, I'd get chosen for one!

• Like 3

First off, great recap.

I'm a massive Srixon fan boy and have been gaming the irons since the 45 series launched a few years ago (had Cleveland 588 TT before that). In fact I just got a new set of 765 irons with Modus Tour 105 shafts today.

IMG_3271.JPG

When you strike it in the middle the feel is unlike anything I've ever experienced before in an iron. And I have to say I've never gamed Nippon shafts before but the feel and performance from the Modus 105s is amazing. I'm can see why so many tour pros play these shafts.

Like you, the VT sole is my favorite feature in this line. I've had plenty of those moments when I've gotten sluggish late in a round and these bad boys carve through lazy swing fat shots so easily.

I had a 545 drive and just never found an optimal set up. Very accurate but zero distance. Having just put a GBB Epic in the bag I'll have to hold off picking up a new driver for a bit but the 565 is next in line for consideration without question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4