GolfSpy MBP

Cleveland-Srixon #FitLikeAPro: 6 Month Report

Our Sponsors

Awesome write up and its great to see you loving the equipment that was provided. 

Looking at Cleveland/Srixon's lineup this year it doesn't truly surprise me, they have made quality equipment for a long time

• Like 1

In my bag:

Driver: :honma: TR20 460 9.5* Vizard TR20 60X

Wood: :mizuno-small: ST200 TS Dimana D+PLUS Limited Edition 70X

Hybrids: :mizuno-small: CLK 19* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX

Irons: :honma: TW 747 Rose Proto 4-PW Modus Tour 120X

Wedges: :honma: TW-W4 52*, 56*, and 60*Modus Tour 125 Wedge 

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

So the SLDR won't be making its way back in the bag anytime soon?

• Like 2

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Great writeup MBP!

Did you ever hit the 545 driver? If so I would love to hear a comparison on the 545 and 565. I was super accurate with the 545, but it just spun too much for me a robbed me of the distance. From everything I've read, the 565 is also much better all the around driver.

And I love the performance of the xv in the long game as well, but it just feels a bit too firm for me around the greens.

• Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST Ping 9* LST VA Nemesys 65FIVE
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* VA Vylyn 75FIVE
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49 F - 54 S - 59 D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

So the SLDR won't be making its way back in the bag anytime soon?

I don't think the SLDR ever even sniffed the bag.

Oh look, it's lunch time.

• Like 1

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP
twitmbp.jpg

wimb2.jpg 

latestreview.jpg 

Great writeup MBP!

Did you ever hit the 545 driver? If so I would love to hear a comparison on the 545 and 565. I was super accurate with the 545, but it just spun too much for me a robbed me of the distance. From everything I've read, the 565 is also much better all the around driver.

And I love the performance of the xv in the long game as well, but it just feels a bit too firm for me around the greens.

Thanks yo.

Never hit the 545, but sounds a lot like my Vapor driver--dead straight with zero distance. This years line has all the fancy new tech, like wave soles and I think these are a whole new breed of drivers. I'm really surprised how well these perform.

Ya the XV is money on full shots, but needs to be a touch softer around the greens for sure.

• Like 1

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP
twitmbp.jpg

wimb2.jpg 

latestreview.jpg 

Man, that's the best thing I've read in a long time!!  I would say a real page turner, but more of a real bar scroller :)    Seriously I was devouring every word.   Loved hearing how each segment of the setup is performing. 

Personal note: From I'd say 2003 to 2008 or so I was exclusively Cleveland, that was mainly due to a couple good friends who worked there and some awesome deals I was able to get as well as the clubs just flat out performing, to borrow your phrase.   

As the friends moved onto other companies and Cleveland kind of falling off in some of their products, Yes HiBore I'm talking to you...LOL   I kinda drifted to other brands.  The last club to go form my bag was a 54 degree 588 DSG wedge that I was custom made for me in 2005 that I literally played until the grooves wore off. 

But after hearing rave reviews of the 545's two years ago, I became intrigued in the brand again.  I briefly met Eli at last years PGA Show and came away liking the guy a lot and ran into my one lone remaining friend, who gave me a rundown on all the new product.   

Enter the 2016 #FitLikeAPro experience for MGS members and I couldn't get my name in fast enough, but alas didn't make the cut out of the what was it over 1,500 entries...ha  But I followed your guys updates intensely, both on here and and IG.  

Following that was a few posts by you to me and on twitter etc, every time I said I need to look at these irons, you said I absolutely needed to.  So I do as I'm told, and ended up with the combo of 565/765 that I've talked about in a few threads.

But I have to say, to hear you talk about the 565 driver has me jumping for joy.  I ordered it last week after talking it over with our local rep, and it wasn't even him pitching it was just more of a conversation, where, I said..."Why don't you put an order in for one of those for me, and let me see what it's all about"   Now it sounds like I have something really to look forward to.  

Anyway, not sure why I led everyone on this long rambling road down my own version of  Srixon #JourneyToBetter, but I'm a big fan of what they are doing right now and excited to add it to my bag this season. 

Thanks again for taking the time for the great write up. 

• Like 5

:titelist-small: TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Shaft

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 5w 18* Ventus Black 

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7,9 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T300 KBS TGI 80 5 iron thorugh 46 W2

:vokey-small: SM7 50.08, 54.08 and 58.14 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Man, that's the best thing I've read in a long time!!  I would say a real page turner, but more of a real bar scroller :)    Seriously I was devouring every word.   Loved hearing how each segment of the setup is performing. 

Personal note: From I'd say 2003 to 2008 or so I was exclusively Cleveland, that was mainly due to a couple good friends who worked there and some awesome deals I was able to get as well as the clubs just flat out performing, to borrow your phrase.   

As the friends moved onto other companies and Cleveland kind of falling off in some of their products, Yes HiBore I'm talking to you...LOL   I kinda drifted to other brands.  The last club to go form my bag was a 54 degree 588 DSG wedge that I was custom made for me in 2005 that I literally played until the grooves wore off. 

But after hearing rave reviews of the 545's two years ago, I became intrigued in the brand again.  I briefly met Eli at last years PGA Show and came away liking the guy a lot and ran into my one lone remaining friend, who gave me a rundown on all the new product.   

Enter the 2016 #FitLikeAPro experience for MGS members and I couldn't get my name in fast enough, but alas didn't make the cut out of the what was it over 1,500 entries...ha  But I followed your guys updates intensely, both on here and and IG.  

Following that was a few posts by you to me and on twitter etc, every time I said I need to look at these irons, you said I absolutely needed to.  So I do as I'm told, and ended up with the combo of 565/765 that I've talked about in a few threads.

But I have to say, to hear you talk about the 565 driver has me jumping for joy.  I ordered it last week after talking it over with our local rep, and it wasn't even him pitching it was just more of a conversation, where, I said..."Why don't you put an order in for one of those for me, and let me see what it's all about"   Now it sounds like I have something really to look forward to.  

Anyway, not sure why I led everyone on this long rambling road down my own version of  Srixon #JourneyToBetter, but I'm a big fan of what they are doing right now and excited to add it to my bag this season. 

Thanks again for taking the time for the great write up. 

Thanks for the kind feedback, I'm glad I was able to steer you in the right direction on irons and you will not be disappointed with the driver.

So you've met Eli eh? You can see what I mean by natural every day guy to talk too, really good guy.

Ok now go get that driver and report back, really looking forward to your thoughts.

• Like 1

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP
twitmbp.jpg

wimb2.jpg 

latestreview.jpg 

Thanks for the kind feedback, I'm glad I was able to steer you in the right direction on irons and you will not be disappointed with the driver.

So you've met Eli eh? You can see what I mean by natural every day guy to talk too, really good guy.

Ok now go get that driver and report back, really looking forward to your thoughts.

Met in the very loose term of the word.  He was busy doing some swing analyzer demo's at the Show and I was standing around waiting for my friend to finish with another customer, and I listened to him do several of the demo's, he offered for me to come give it a try and I was too embarrassed to get up on a platform in the middle of a large booth and put on the fright show that is my swing.   But just watching someone interact with the general public for a period of time, you can get  pretty good feel for the type of person.   I honestly don't think there was anywhere in the world he would have rather been that day.   i do hope to get to officially meet him sometime. 

As to the driver, hopefully it arrives by Friday.  I have a 54 hole tournament on Monday the 5th that will be an ideal workout for it!

• Like 2

Met in the very loose term of the word.  He was busy doing some swing analyzer demo's at the Show and I was standing around waiting for my friend to finish with another customer, and I listened to him do several of the demo's, he offered for me to come give it a try and I was too embarrassed to get up on a platform in the middle of a large booth and put on the fright show that is my swing.   But just watching someone interact with the general public for a period of time, you can get  pretty good feel for the type of person.   I honestly don't think there was anywhere in the world he would have rather been that day.   i do hope to get to officially meet him sometime. 

As to the driver, hopefully it arrives by Friday.  I have a 54 hole tournament on Monday the 5th that will be an ideal workout for it!

My buddies arrives Friday and he's already booked an afternoon round lol

• Like 1

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP
twitmbp.jpg

wimb2.jpg 

latestreview.jpg 

Great review. Nothing like feeling that your set up is right! It comes across in your enthusiam. Not fan boy at all, just happy golfer.

I have always liked Cleveland product and agree with Carolina Golfer 2 that they produced great drivers for years under the radar. Also concur that the 588 DSG was on the short list of GWOAT status (Greatest Wedge of All Time). Bring that design back! Anyway, good to see Srixon/Cleveland producing.

• Like 2

--WITB--

Ping i15 Driver 9.5° Stiff

Ping i25 Fairway 15° Stiff

Kasco k2k 44 Utility 19° Stiff

Kasco k2k 55 Utility 22° Stiff

Miura CB-501 Irons 5-9 KBS Tour Stiff

Scratch 8620 d/d grind PW 47°

Scratch 8620 d/d grind GW 53°

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 SW 58° 2 dot

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 LW 60° 1 dot

Never Compromise Putter Sub 30 Type-50

Snell MTB

Great review. Nothing like feeling that your set up is right! It comes across in your enthusiam. Not fan boy at all, just happy golfer.

I have always liked Cleveland product and agree with Carolina Golfer 2 that they produced great drivers for years under the radar. Also concur that the 588 DSG was on the short list of GWOAT status (Greatest Wedge of All Time). Bring that design back! Anyway, good to see Srixon/Cleveland producing.

I agree with you on the 588 DSG and I'll use this opportunity to "name drop and humble brag" a bit.

By very fortunate circumstances I found myself playing in the 2013 Farmers Insurance Pro Am and we were paired with Sean O'Hair.  Really nice but quiet guy who was struggling quite a bit with his game at that time.   But through talking to him throughout the round, I discovered he is an equipment Ho and not a stranger himself to golf forums.   wouldn't' say which ones or what his screen name was...ha    

But we were standing around the 18th green I had my wedge in hand and we were waiting for one of the other players to finish putting out.   He asked to see my wedge and gave it a few waggles, and said, "This is a really nice feeling wedge, you didn't get this off the rack in a store did you?"  I said know it was made for me by a friend on their Tech Van.  He said, well, he builds a very good wedge, this thing is about perfect.  

Made me feel pretty good about it, and I passed it on to my friend.  But that was high praise from a Tour Pro who at the time was on staff with Taylor Made.  

• Like 6

I don't know how you guys can write all that stuff. Nice job for sure.

• Like 2

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I don't know how you guys can write all that stuff. Nice job for sure.

I know Plaid, to some it comes very easy (I'm not one) while I enjoy writing, not only for reviews but the basketball I cover during the winter, it's a true struggle at times.  I've sat next to writers who bang out a 800 word piece on deadline, while I'm sitting there trying to piece together my 2nd paragraph :o  Writing is truly a labor of love!! 

• Like 1

I would love to have a chance like this one day. It sounds like you're enjoying everything and I'm glad that the experience was so great!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/Aldila Rogue Silver 110 MSI 70X Tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

The driver is gorgeous!!!!

Great write up MBP.

• Like 2

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

WOW what a great way with words! Awesome read and just another reason I love this site .

It's pretty obvious I have a club crush on the 565 driver! Sooooo it's just a matter of time before I lay one down

• Like 3

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Callaway  Rogue X Irons 5 - AW 
Cleveland RTX-4 50 & 56  
Wilson Harmonized Chipper 32 Degrees
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter

WOW what a great way with words! Awesome read and just another reason I love this site .

It's pretty obvious I have a club crush on the 565 driver! Sooooo it's just a matter of time before I lay one down

Don't wait to long the free HZRDUS upgrade ends tomorrow. The drivers were the most impressive part for me. Just switched to a 10.5 765 and it's crazy good. 10 ball average from the test today on Trackman

Ballspeed 177.3

Launch 12.7

Spin 1970

Carry 309

Total 331

These drivers flat out perform!!

• Like 4

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I'm sure almost every single amateur golfer out there would love to have an experience like the one you guys with Srixon/Cleveland. And I'm glad (or is that jealousy I'm feeling?) that the hype is real for these kind of events! Hopefully next time, I'd get chosen for one!

• Like 3

Driver (main): Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

Driver (back-up): Titliest 915 D3 (9.5) with Fujikura Speeder Shaft 757 (Tour Stiff)

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: PING i200 4-PW in XP 95 shafts with S300 flex (+ 3 iron)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1X, Srixon Z-Star ZV & Taylormade TP5X

First off, great recap.

I'm a massive Srixon fan boy and have been gaming the irons since the 45 series launched a few years ago (had Cleveland 588 TT before that). In fact I just got a new set of 765 irons with Modus Tour 105 shafts today.

IMG_3271.JPG

When you strike it in the middle the feel is unlike anything I've ever experienced before in an iron. And I have to say I've never gamed Nippon shafts before but the feel and performance from the Modus 105s is amazing. I'm can see why so many tour pros play these shafts.

Like you, the VT sole is my favorite feature in this line. I've had plenty of those moments when I've gotten sluggish late in a round and these bad boys carve through lazy swing fat shots so easily.

I had a 545 drive and just never found an optimal set up. Very accurate but zero distance. Having just put a GBB Epic in the bag I'll have to hold off picking up a new driver for a bit but the 565 is next in line for consideration without question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4