TESTERS WANTED! ×

Don't Be "That" Guy!

golfinnut

That guy ... you know the one that thinks he is better than he actually is. 

He may do some of the following:

• line up every putt as if it's for the U.S. Open
  • take as much time lining up the putt for an 8 that he does for a par
  • get mad at someone because they "took the tee box from you" .... just because we are in the interest of slow play, we like to play "ready golf" ... especially when there is a storm clearly heading our direction!
  • spend 10 minutes looking for the ball that was clearly hit OB just because you are the last group off in the league and there is no one behind you
  • blame every missed shot on something other than what it actually is ... "Oh I pushed that one."  or "Damn this rough is brutal."   NO Pal ... you just suck and couldn't find the fairway if you fell out of the cart
  • play the wrong set of tees because you think you hit the ball further than you actually do
  • claim you got a 5 on the hole when you clearly hit it OB once & had to take an unplayable lie, so it was at least an 8.  Then get mad when I question it.  If you are going to play by the rules, you may want to learn them first.
  • when taking a drop from a lateral stake in the rough, don't claim that the ball moved towards the green on each drop just so you get to place it.  (grant it the rough was about 4" high in places but still we all have to play the same course.)
  • Take the game WAYYYYYY TOO serious!  It's league play .... I mean c'mon we are playing for a beer for Christs Sake!

Yes all of these occurred the other night in my league play.  It was brutal ... playing slow, having to teach the rules to someone, etc.  I even had to break out the actual Rule Book out of my bag for this guy!  (yes, I keep one just for days like this)

So ... don't be "that guy!"  And if you happen to play with "that guy" ... I wish you well & good luck! 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Sounds like the guy that Shankster played behind the other day joined your league..LOL

Also not to make fun of anyone's score, goodness knows mine can be a source of comic relief at times, but we had a guy shoot 71 in our league last week, and his group had two holes open in front of him.  

Oh and just to clarify...this is a NINE hole league. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Sounds like the guy that Shankster played behind the other day joined your league..LOL

Also not to make fun of anyone's score, goodness knows mine can be a source of comic relief at times, but we had a guy shoot 71 in our league last week, and his group had two holes open in front of him.

Oh and just to clarify...this is a NINE hole league.

Yeah so is ours.

Plus it should Never take over 2 hours to play 9 holes!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• claim you got a 5 on the hole when you clearly hit it OB once & had to take an unplayable lie, so it was at least an 8.  Then get mad when I question it.  If you are going to play by the rules, you may want to learn them first.

I AM NOT "THAT Guy"... LOL but played in league with a few but this one.. Not sure of the full count but it was something like this.. Ball 1 OB into the road. retee, Ball 2 into the waste high grass just in front of the ladies tee, Drop. Ball back into High grass drop. Next ball just on other side of grass but barely.. stroke 8 to fairway. 9 to greenside bunker 10 on 3 putts for a 13. claims 8... WTF..... We call him on it and he gets a little pissy.. we recount for him his comment was.. " Oh i didn't know I had to count for each Drop"... BS.. we've called you on that before.. ERRRRRRR>...I feel for you... 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Yeah so is ours.

Plus it should Never take over 2 hours to play 9 holes!

Our's routinely takes 2.5 hours.  But we generally have over 60 players shotgunning and doubling up on just about every hole,.   It can be a real slog sometimes, but hey we're not at home, and we have Wings and other good food awaiting us at our after league hangout, so it's all good. 

I AM NOT "THAT Guy"... LOL but played in league with a few but this one.. Not sure of the full count but it was something like this.. Ball 1 OB into the road. retee, Ball 2 into the waste high grass just in front of the ladies tee, Drop. Ball back into High grass drop. Next ball just on other side of grass but barely.. stroke 8 to fairway. 9 to greenside bunker 10 on 3 putts for a 13. claims 8... WTF..... We call him on it and he gets a little pissy.. we recount for him his comment was.. " Oh i didn't know I had to count for each Drop"... BS.. we've called you on that before.. ERRRRRRR>...I feel for you... 

You guys need to institute a double par max for that thing.   There's no reason for 3 other palyers to be on the green and someone taking their 9th, 10th, 11th shots out of a bunker...That's just crazy. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

You forgot this guy the moment you hit or putt "you pulled that one", "that's in the water", "that's not even close" etc etc. This guy is always in his pocket as he's saying it

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

hahah.Most of the ones that I ran into were extreme casual golfers.Meaning less than 2 rounds of golf a season.We kinda let them do their thing in the leagues without harping on them.Even with their bad interpretation of the rules.They would be lucky to break 55 for 9 holes.Its a great game and i let them enjoy how they want.Now if they were regular avid guys I would see an issue with that

Keep it in the short stuff

Used to play with a guy that would back off the ball if you did something like scratch your nose when he was over the ball.  The guys I played with if you waited for it to be quiet before you hit the round would take 6 hours!  After this guy played with us for a while he finally got used to it and wasn't so bad.  He was also the guy that would walk up to the green when he was inside 100 yards before hitting his shot, we played the same course for years he knew exactly what the green looked like and the pin placement.  

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

hahah.Most of the ones that I ran into were extreme casual golfers.Meaning less than 2 rounds of golf a season.We kinda let them do their thing in the leagues without harping on them.Even with their bad interpretation of the rules.They would be lucky to break 55 for 9 holes.Its a great game and i let them enjoy how they want.Now if they were regular avid guys I would see an issue with that

That's the issue I had ... these guys WERE regulars.  And we play the same 9 holes every week.  Nothing has changed except the pin placement.  And they live in the neighborhood where the course is, so they play it all the time.  They were also the type that if you said something to them about it, they would take it personal & think you were berating them.  

I just hope to never get paired with them again.  Unless it's the playoffs for some reason ... then I will get under their skin really quick!  LOL  :D

Played in a league that was all guys like this. Everything was to the absolute strictest rules of golf. 6-6.5 hours per round. No gimmies or picking up ever. If someone was on their way to a 12 still had to put it in the hole. Lots of "8-12" handicaps, very few broke 90.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Played in a league that was all guys like this. Everything was to the absolute strictest rules of golf. 6-6.5 hours per round. No gimmies or picking up ever. If someone was on their way to a 12 still had to put it in the hole. Lots of "8-12" handicaps, very few broke 90.

Now that's ridiculous

Now that's ridiculous

Yea i quit after a couple rounds. When you figure in travel, warm up, and paying the winners at the end it was a 9-10 hour day. No thank you.

Take Dead Aim

Yes!! Hate those guys, we are all recreational golfers, we aren't pros and there is no reason to be that guy

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

Yes!! Hate those guys, we are all recreational golfers, we aren't pros and there is no reason to be that guy

Too many people don't play it for what it's for ... a game.  They take it too serious & for what reason?  Plus they watch too much TV & try to emulate the guys who are Pro's.  To adlib the quote on the PGA Tour  ... "These guys aren't that good!" 

I take a little longer lining up my putts and was chastised for it the other day by a guy in my group.  I stated that my method was just as fast as his, he laughed and said how is that possible?  I stated that I take 10 putts less on 18 holes than him, which may even make my method quicker.  He thought about it and agreed.

Same thing with my pre-shot routine, If I don't take those extra 10-20 seconds, I may take 2-3 minutes looking for my ball in the bush.  Possibly quicker as well, but seems longer.

Not everything can be taken at face value in this game for sure.

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

I've played with people before who will actually mark their ball from under a foot. Sometimes, they will even ask if they can tap out. These are the kinds of people who also take 30 min to play each hole...

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I think I covered my thoughts on slow play in another thread last week. There is nothing worse than playing with someone like that. Doesn't matter if you are last off, keep up with the group in front of you, and for all that is sacred, DON'T CHEAT. Not knowing the rules is one thing, blatant disregard is another!!!

I played in a league a couple of years ago, double par was Max score per hole. Most guys were more concerned about their "drinks" than their "shots". And even as a fuzzy group never took more than 2 hours to play. Sorry for your horrible experiences.

planet earth

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

My wife has been trying to encourage me to look for and join a league, so I could play more and meet some (IRL) golf buddies, but I've been worried about running into just this sort of thing.

(and not really that anxious to play competitively)

I'm *NOT* a great golfer, but I also prefer to keep moving along at a steady pace.

Well .. better luck next week!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

IMG_20170531_185001783.jpg

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I'll say it again .... I don't care how bad you are, you can be bad and still play fast!

The key is to have fun. It's not a bad thing to pick up and move to the next hole. Every time you play you'll see improvement. Believe me, I used to be a twice a year guy. I never tried to finish a hole if it meant slowing pace of play. Just glad I could get out and play.

planet earth

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

I have a copy too! Poo-poo-kaa-kaa

Take Dead Aim

Just so we all know slow play in league, the 2nd week in our league I gave 81 strokes to 3 guys. It's a 9 hole league. That was slow.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I am very guilty of a lot of those. I do take the game serious because I grew up playing competitively in junior golf tournaments. Every round could be your personal best. However, I lighten up in scramble tournaments or just practice rounds.

You can still take it serious but at the same time play fast. I played competitively in high school and college and took it very serious, but was never ever brutally slow. I understood the rules and abided by them.

Don't take 10 practice swings, or line up your putt for an 8. And by God, don't take it so serious because your not that good. We are playing for a beer not whether you can pay your mortgage that month.

I don't want this to turn into a rant about slow play .... so just Don't Be That Guy!

You can still take it serious but at the same time play fast. I played competitively in high school and college and took it very serious, but was never ever brutally slow. I understood the rules and abided by them.

Don't take 10 practice swings, or line up your putt for an 8. And by God, don't take it so serious because your not that good. We are playing for a beer not whether you can pay your mortgage that month.

I don't want this to turn into a rant about slow play .... so just Don't Be That Guy!

Oh, the practice swings! Thanks for reminding me; I almost forgot! So, so, so, many practice swings. And then it's either a chunk or a chili dip something. Absolutely ridiculous...

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Archived