ngsimon09

Golf Podcasts?

Please listen to chasing scratch it’s amazing. Also another one of my favorites is the back of the range

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I have listened to Geoff Ogilvy on two separate podcasts now speaking about course architecture.  The Fried Egg and The Golfers Journal. 

He has a fascinating perspective and incredible knowledge on what makes a great golf course.   

• Like 1

I enjoy The Fried Egg, Shotgun Start, and No Laying Up.

Fried Egg has helped me understand course architecture and how that can help you score. Shotgun Start is like listening to two guys at a bar dissect the tours. And No Laying Up gets great interviews with pro players as well as talks about their general tom foolery on the course.

• Like 1

My daughters get Spotify Premium for Christmas and I discover the wonderful world of Golf Podcasts.  I've found another interesting golf related podcast for anyone who is interested in the history of the game.  Fun fact; the hole measures 4-1/4 inches because the blacksmith in Musselburgh, Scotland in 1829  was asked to make a hole liner.  He used what he had available to him, which was the template for the standard Musselburgh drain piping, which was 4-1/4 inches.  It stuck!

If you like history, check it out.  Although, Spotify is the only place I found it.  TalkinGolf with Rod Morri and Connor T. Lewis.  Connor T. Lewis is this guy......... https://twitter.com/SHistorians

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 9:31 PM, Mizuno_fan said:

Please listen to chasing scratch it’s amazing. Also another one of my favorites is the back of the range

Thank you for this suggestion.  Loved the "pod".  Mike and Eli and a great and entertaining pair to listen to.  Also the way they executed the podcast is great and easy to follow along.

• Like 1

I've been binging on no laying up podcasts. Cannot say enough good things about them, funny and I love the talk about the architecture of courses. I got hooked on their YouTube channel starting with streamsong and have moved into their podcasts. Very enjoyable and just very entertaining!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Apolloshowl said:

I've been binging on no laying up podcasts. Cannot say enough good things about them, funny and I love the talk about the architecture of courses. I got hooked on their YouTube channel starting with streamsong and have moved into their podcasts. Very enjoyable and just very entertaining!

If you enjoy the architecture aspects, listen to The Golfers Journal podcasts.  It's a spinoff of sorts from NLU with Andy Johnson, Tom Coyne and DJ Piehowski.  Excellent content. 

The NLU video series on Youtube are excellent as well.  Especially Tourist Sauce.  Erik Anders Lang's video series on Youtube are equally as great.  

• Like 2

The recent No Laying Up podcast with Justin Ray is the most fascinating thing I've listened to in recent memory.  For anyone that doesn't know who Justin Ray is, he is the stat/researcher who became more famous than many of the shows he worked on.  Some of those shows include SVP, Live From and Sportscenter.  

His "homework" for the NLU podcast was to give his Top-10 Tiger stats of all time. 

• Since 1983, there have been 8 seasons where a player beat the field by 2.6 strokes per round.  All 8 were by Tiger Woods!
  • Tiger is the only player to have won the US Junior, US Am and US Open in his career.  He won each 3 times!
  • During the "Tiger Slam" years, Tiger was statistically twice as likely to win by more than 4 shots than finish outside the Top 10!
  • Tiger Woods has 40 European Tour wins, which is 3rd all time.  Tiger has never been a member of the European Tour!
  • From 1997 to 2008, Tiger was -126 Under Par in Majors, more than 200 shots ahead of Phil and Ernie!

Give it a listen.  It's well worth your time!

• Like 1

Chasing Scratch is coming back for it's second season on April 17th.  If you've not listened to this, do yourself a favor and try it.  Light hearted and well executed podcast.

• Like 2

The EAL shown is the best out there, IMO! Patrick Koenig also has a great podcast.

Began listening to a podcast called "Life On Tour" recently on Spotify.  It's a European Tour production that is very entertaining.  Unique concept to hear the stars of the sport we love discuss their rise from childhood into the professional golf ranks in their own words. 

The episode featuring Ian "The Postman" Poulter is quite enlightening.  It gave me a whole new perspective on his personality.

• Like 2

Anybody listen to any? I've been listening to Fore Play, by barstool sports recently. Just a couple average dudes talking golf. They have pretty good guests- David Feherty, George Brett, Willy Wilcox, Wesley Bryan to name a few. Looking for something to listen to in my drives to/from work

Used to listen to Foreplay until they started talking about Jack Nicklaus dying before he would let Tiger win more tournaments than he has. They also can’t seem to complete a sentence without using the F word. They do have some good guests but the podcasters themselves are just rambling most of the time. To disrespect Jack was uncalled for. I think they sit around and play with themselves while watching old Tiger video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pstmstr said:

Used to listen to Foreplay until they started talking about Jack Nicklaus dying before he would let Tiger win more tournaments than he has. They also can’t seem to complete a sentence without using the F word. They do have some good guests but the podcasters themselves are just rambling most of the time. To disrespect Jack was uncalled for. I think they sit around and play with themselves while watching old Tiger video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I listened to Four Play off and on at one point in time.  I'm far from a moralist by any definition of the word but I couldn't stand the incessant language for the sake of incessant language.  I'm not put off by the occasional curse word but listening to a handful of guys drop "F" bombs every other word is annoying. 

Then again, Barstool Sports social media is annoying as well.  Everything they do is geared toward a certain demographic that I obviously do not fall in line with.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I listened to Four Play off and on at one point in time.  I'm far from a moralist by any definition of the word but I couldn't stand the incessant language for the sake of incessant language.  I'm not put off by the occasional curse word but listening to a handful of guys drop "F" bombs every other word is annoying. 

... Imo curse words should be used for effect and I think there is a time and place for their use. But using them as an every day adjective is just a lazy use of the english language and additionally diminishes their power. Miss a makable putt with an emotional "Dammit Chisag" is vastly different than a casual "I'm using a dammed Maxfli because every damm ball is the same as every other damm ball". 

• Like 4

Unfortunately that's "par for the course" with all of Barstool.  It's like they want to take advantage of the fact that the FCC can't fine them so they decide that every other should be a curse word.  After a while it's too much and the whole Barstool thing gets worn out....

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Imo curse words should be used for effect and I think there is a time and place for their use. But using them as an every day adjective is just a lazy use of the english language and additionally diminishes their power. Miss a makable putt with an emotional "Dammit Chisag" is vastly different than a casual "I'm using a dammed Maxfli because every damm ball is the same as every other damm ball". 

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Unfortunately that's "par for the course" with all of Barstool.  It's like they want to take advantage of the fact that the FCC can't fine them so they decide that every other should be a curse word.  After a while it's too much and the whole Barstool thing gets worn out....

You two said what I was trying to say better than I could have. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Began listening to a podcast called "Life On Tour" recently on Spotify.  It's a European Tour production that is very entertaining.  Unique concept to hear the stars of the sport we love discuss their rise from childhood into the professional golf ranks in their own words. 

The episode featuring Ian "The Postman" Poulter is quite enlightening.  It gave me a whole new perspective on his personality.

I would also like to point out, listening to Poulter talk about the possibility of captaining the European Ryder Cup team at Bethpage, facing down the New York fans, is thought provoking!

• Like 1

The guys over at GolfWRX have some good podcasts as well.